Blockbuster Interview Questions

2.2

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Blockbuster in August 2009.

Store Manager was one hour late for interview. She told me that the District Manager needed to do the interview, because she wasn't allowed to interview management postitions for the store. She couldn't give me any information as to when I could interview for the job.

Unorganizied

Manager On Duty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannibal, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannibal, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Blockbuster in August 2009.

I did many different interviews. Over the phone there were about 4 interviews, with many different people from the compnay in all different levels. Then on my last call I was asked to come in and talk to someone. THen I received another call and they gave me an offer for a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in June 2011.

This has to be the single worst interview experience I've ever had. The interview was in a group of roughly 20 people, all of us forming a big circle in the middle of the store. Started off with a Q&A section and intro, the Q&A was ridiculously pointless as most people asked pointless questions and were focusing on volume rather than quality (which apparently management appreciated). Then they asked for a 30 second pitch of a movie to the person next to you. Then we did a scavenger hunt, yes, a scavenger hunt in an interview. Then more Q&A with more pointless questions where people are merely trying to get their face out there. Then they closed with the typical, why you and why do you want the job? No background questions, no behavioral questions, no in depth questions. But apparently those 2 questions were enough for the managers to make informed decisions. Also, whoever got to go last (which unsurprising was normally the same side of the room), was at a huge advantage. Many answers were reiterated, where the latter persons normally just gave more in depth versions of the answers before them (especially on the 30 second pitch). Interview took an hour and a half, but it felt like such a waste of time when you have such a small portion of time to make an impact. I would call the whole process unprofessional, unfair, sloppy, and pointless. I am honestly compelled to file a compliant. It was clear that they were focusing on saving themselves time rather than trying to find the best candidate, more of a reason blockbuster is failing I guess.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Covina, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Covina, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in December 2010.

I applied online and got a call a week after to set up an appointment for the interview. It all started with small talk then he asked some stuff about high school since i had just graduated that year, such as the clubs i was in, my grades, and any regrets i had. Then towards the end asked me to go around the store and choose two movies and convince him to buy those movies. He also gave me a list of different membership plans then asked me to sell one to him.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in July 2011.

I heard there were openings at Blockbuster and I applied. About two weeks later, I got a call and was told that I would be a part of a group interview. My first thought was that there would be several people getting a one-on-one job interview, but instead, we all got into a circle and were interviewed sort of on the spot. The people arrived in hopes of getting a job, but not all of them applied for my specific location.

We did a scavenger hunt to find movies and other items. There were also questions about Blockbuster and the job that were being answered. We also had to play a game. The game started off by the DM saying a movie name, and the next person saying an actor appearing in the film, then the next person would say a movie title with the actor that was just mentioned, after that, the next person mentions another actor in the new movie title mentioned, and so on. We also had to a pitch to the person next to us why they should see a movie that we can think of.

I know that I didn't say or do enough to get myself a job there, but I felt I could have if it was a one-on-one interview. Other people pretty much said what I would have said. I got a couple of words in about something and it doesn't seem like I really messed up, but still, not good enough as few others.

Bottom line, I felt good when I got called in for this interview, but after going through it, I knew it was pointless because I was not going to get a job there. It was said that within 2 days, people who are considered would receive a call. I didn't get one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Valley City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Valley City, UT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in October 2011.

First off, we were given name tags. Then we had to get in a half circle and play this game where we had to start off with one actor and name a movie they were in with another actor, then the next person had to name a movie that that actor was in. So on, so forth. This was awkward. Then we did a scavenger hunt and had to find various items in the store with a group of 5 people. Awkward. Afterwards we were each supposed to tell the four managers why we felt we should be hired, and everyone took their turns one at a time. And I guess we did bad the first time because we pretty much all said we love movies, so they made us do it again. They say it takes 3-10 to process a background check so we will wait, but I doubt I got it cause I was put up to interview with people who had years of experience. I am guessing they were applying for the managerial positions, but I wasn't, therefore this was not fair. They had 20 more people to interview that day and more interview days and were hiring for four stores therefore there were 4 different managers.

Interview Questions
    • Name and actor in a movie and another actor in the same movie... so on...   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in December 2010.

I was called my a recruiter, which happen to be an assistant manager of one of the DM stores. Later, we became and still are good friends. then I went in for an interview at the local store..I waited for an hour at least but then the interview went well. I still am friends with the dm, AND then I had to wait to get an interview with the regional manager, turns out he was on vacation, so they went ahead and offered me the position. I was in a training store for several months, it was okay, I was able to to work and train without the pressure of having a store to pass or fail..this was nice because when I went to my own store I was confident. The only issue was when I was offered my store they made me interview with the regional manager...which was silly because I already was hired..were they going to fire me??? I did get the position but it was short lived..they ended up closing my store due to financial hardships. I decided to just finish and get my degree.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer
    • most questions were open based questions   View Answer
    It was actually very easy. I told her what I wanted, and she wanted me so much she went in at a higher rate..plus when I went from training manager to store manager I was given another raise! It was nice especially since I the company was going through financial issues and cutting back on a lot of things. It was nice because I knew the DM valued me and knew I was worth it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Blockbuster in June 2012.

IIt was a group interview , you had to talk in front of everybody nobody left there knowing if they got the job or not they told us within a week they should be calling people who fit there qualifications back ihavent got a called back so ididnt get the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in October 2010.

applied online and was called back for an interview 2 weeks later. I was really nervous at first, and I'd heard not so good things about the manager I interviewed with, but I really needed a job so it was worth a shot. I thought it went well; he asked typical interview questions and questions about recent movies and my favorite movie and why. He seemed to like me and made it seem like I got the job. He told me if I didn't hear from him by that Friday to call him. I did, he wasn't at the store I interviewed at so the guy I spoke to told me to call him at another store. I did, and when I asked about the position he stated quite rudely that he "decided to go a different direction."

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in November 2008.