Blockbuster

Relevance Date Difficulty

Na Interview

Na
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in June 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted application and was asked to come in for an interview.

Interview Question – Why is the sky blue.   View Answer

Santa Clarita, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Blockbuster in July 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring was simple. Apply online for a specific job or simply submit your application for multiple locations. A store manager will contact you and ask you to come in at a specific time. The store manager will interview you and often give you an answer as to whether you are hired then and there.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you've gone out of your way to assist a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation possible, maybe a pay rate of .50 higher then the norm.

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – Once you apply, your name is put into an electronic database where your answers from the personality profile score you as red, yellow or green. Usually, only green candidates are selected. In Blockbuster, it's now what you know... it's who you know. If someone in the running knows someone in the company, they have a leg up on you, despite your background. There is a first interview with the store manager and if for a management position, a 2nd interview with a District Manager.

Interview Question – Questions vary from manager to manager. The best question to reply to though is, "Do you have any questions for me?" - This is a chance to really show the manager your true interest in the company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – BB made an offer. I went to my current boss and he matched the offer. I went to BB and they raised the offer by 5K for management. I took the job at BB.

Shift Leader Interview

Shift Leader

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – Quick and easy went in she asked about my future plans and anything she should know about my background that would come up later. Ofcourse there wasn't so everything went well.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions or unexpected question everything she asked I had heard before or knew was coming.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – They are no longer hiring. Closing down all remaining locations. Don't bother applying. Look for another job.... seriously.

Interview Question – What's the least amount of money we can pay you for 50 hour of work per week.   Answer Question

Mesa, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interviews are set up as a panel and sometimes a group interviews. It depends on the interviewer how the questions go..sometimes they as star type questions and sometimes then go off script. There are many applicants that are hard to sift through so you mostly need to get an employee referral

Interview Question – They were mostly regular type questions   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied in-person and interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – This was my first job interview and coincidentally the interviewee's first time giving a job interview. So everything was actually pretty easygoing and simple. I was called for an interview a few days after applying, and about 5 days after interviewing I was hired.

Staten Island, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online. I do not remember the time frame, probably a few weeks later I had received a call from a store manager wanting me to come in for an interview. We set up the appointment. The interview itself went very smooth, I showed up at the store and we had talked in the back room. She asked me some questions, it appeared she liked me. She told me she wanted me to come back for a second interview because she was transfering and a new manager was starting there.

When I came back for my second interview, the new manager was very casual. He had asked me a few questions and told me right there that I was hired. He had asked me what I wanted to make and I told him that I didn't want anything less than 7.50 p/h because that's what I was making at my old job. He laughed at me and told me I'd be making 9.00. Which was high for the position I took.

Bremerton, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Blockbuster in November 2010.

Interview Details – Questions were fair and understandable. It never seemed like they were asking the same questions over and over to catch you in a lie. The management talked to you as someone you've known for a long time. They never lost contact with me during the interview and hiring process. It took them very little time to get me set up in the computer and a uniform shirt. Training modules, while outdated and slow, were extremely helpful. Training with management was a smooth and understanding process.

Interview Question – Questions on how to deal with customer issues were hard to answer because I was unsure of company policy and inner workings.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a little over minimum wage to begin and received the amount of hours I had requested. There was no negotiation needed but judging by the feel of the situation, they would have if I needed it.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Freeport, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – The interview process is quite easy with the standard questions. However, in order to achieve the job you are looking for, definitely highlight why you should get the job. If you are already with the company and are looking to move up, talk about your sales and how hard you work.

Interview Question – Name a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you resolve the issue.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Always show why you are valuable in the interview. It will go well with negotiations. I highlighted my achievements and I got paid more.