Blockbuster

Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Blockbuster.

First interview took place at an open store, with many other potential employees. This 'group interview' is not for the faint of heart, or timid. You must be all in with attention to detail about movies and video games. Then you will be called for a second interview. This one is at another store all together, one on one, with someone that you didn't even see at the first and has no knowledge of what you went through the process before. Then she will tell you that she will call you in a week or so with her decision.

Interview Questions
    • This was actually a game that was played with the group at the first interview. You are put on the spot and asked about an actor in a movie, then the next person says a co-star and the third person thinks of another in another movie. *This will change depending on the DM*   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NH

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in July 2012.

I needed to communicate to my DM that I was interested in being a Store manager. Then my DM talked with a couple of store managers at other stores that knew me, as well as my current store manager and co-workers. Interview lasted a good hour and covered current staff and store operations. It also focused on my confidence on meeting future challenges.

Interview Questions
    • How was the store's tnr to budget compared to last years.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in June 2012.

I had submitted my application online around May of 2012, I received an email about an open "casting call" interview in June, I went to the interview which included questions about movies and how to sell stuff. I waited almost a month and then I finally received a phone call asking if I wanted to take the job or not. I was hired in the middle of July.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Blockbuster in June 2012.

IIt was a group interview , you had to talk in front of everybody nobody left there knowing if they got the job or not they told us within a week they should be calling people who fit there qualifications back ihavent got a called back so ididnt get the job.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in January 2012.

Well I arrived there and had to wait about 20 minutes for others to arrive. As soon as they did. We introduced ourselves, explained on how we'd sell a particular item and did a scavenger hunt. I ended up getting a 2nd interview, but all she wanted to know was my work history. She then explained the job. She said to wait for a call because she said a dm would have to review my application & do a background check. She never called though. I wouldnt apply though as I looked up the company and they are pretty much bankrupt.

Interview Questions
    Easy interview than most.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in January 2012.

Very customer focused job, also need to be detailed about your inventory management, very difficult to manage your inventory on their antiquated systems, you need to be able to manage your inventory on pen and paper more than anything. They asked basic questions about customer service mostly. Other questions were about your hiring experience, and employee corrective action procedures.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you failed to meet a customers expectation.   Answer Question
    They offered a reasonable salary based on the job requirements. I didn't negotiate much, but if they lowball you, and you have experience, push for 5-10% more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in December 2011.

The hiring process when I signed up was ancient. They had people interviewing for Store manager as well as people in jeans and t-shirts that hadn't been washed in a week in the same circle. It was easy to stand out in that crowd if you had researched the company at all and had any smart sounding challenging questions.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked to sell was a new one for me. Also the movie knowledge questions were weird. Luckily everyone was awful so I looked better than I was.   View Answer
    There really wasn't one. They asked me what I wanted. I quoted a high number and she said ok. Come to find out later I was one of the higher paid store managers in the state and I had the least experience. Really I was hired as a spite move to the company I believe from a District manager on the way out.

Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in October 2011.

First off, we were given name tags. Then we had to get in a half circle and play this game where we had to start off with one actor and name a movie they were in with another actor, then the next person had to name a movie that that actor was in. So on, so forth. This was awkward. Then we did a scavenger hunt and had to find various items in the store with a group of 5 people. Awkward. Afterwards we were each supposed to tell the four managers why we felt we should be hired, and everyone took their turns one at a time. And I guess we did bad the first time because we pretty much all said we love movies, so they made us do it again. They say it takes 3-10 to process a background check so we will wait, but I doubt I got it cause I was put up to interview with people who had years of experience. I am guessing they were applying for the managerial positions, but I wasn't, therefore this was not fair. They had 20 more people to interview that day and more interview days and were hiring for four stores therefore there were 4 different managers.

Interview Questions
    • Name and actor in a movie and another actor in the same movie... so on...   View Answer

IT Service Management Process Specialist - IT Operations Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinney, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinney, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Blockbuster in September 2011.

Phone interview with the IT Ops Mgr. He asked me to describe my ITSM and IT Operations experience and how I could apply my experience to the position. The phone interview ended with a confirmed face to face interview with him The one-on-one was more in-depth in terms of the position and provided the platform to sell your skillset and what sets you apart from your competition. From the time I phone interviewed to an offer was less than roughly 7 days total (phone interview on a Wednesday, face to face interview on a Friday and had an offer that next Monday).

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to described my ITSM and operations experience.   View Answer
    Yes. Know the market and your value within the market. I had to come down 10% from my original gross yearly contract rate to go perm. Wasn't pleased but in this market ...

Shift Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in August 2011.

The Hiring and Interview Process was grouped. We all met a location on Veterans Blvd. We played games in order to get to know each other and to break the ice. The management seemed nice enough, they appeared to be having a good time with us. The environment was quite calm actually. They'd picked a time when the rush was a t a minimum with was good because we were able to move throughout the store. They spoke to only a few of us individually. The few chosen were the ones who went on to be hired. If you weren't selected to interview that day it was either because you were late, didn't get any questions or scenarios correct or you weren't dressed professionally.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any unexpected questions asked to me.   Answer Question