Blockbuster Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.1

Shift Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in August 2011.

Interview

The Hiring and Interview Process was grouped. We all met a location on Veterans Blvd. We played games in order to get to know each other and to break the ice. The management seemed nice enough, they appeared to be having a good time with us. The environment was quite calm actually. They'd picked a time when the rush was a t a minimum with was good because we were able to move throughout the store. They spoke to only a few of us individually. The few chosen were the ones who went on to be hired. If you weren't selected to interview that day it was either because you were late, didn't get any questions or scenarios correct or you weren't dressed professionally.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any unexpected questions asked to me.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster (San Diego, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I heard there were openings at Blockbuster and I applied. About two weeks later, I got a call and was told that I would be a part of a group interview. My first thought was that there would be several people getting a one-on-one job interview, but instead, we all got into a circle and were interviewed sort of on the spot. The people arrived in hopes of getting a job, but not all of them applied for my specific location.

We did a scavenger hunt to find movies and other items. There were also questions about Blockbuster and the job that were being answered. We also had to play a game. The game started off by the DM saying a movie name, and the next person saying an actor appearing in the film, then the next person would say a movie title with the actor that was just mentioned, after that, the next person mentions another actor in the new movie title mentioned, and so on. We also had to a pitch to the person next to us why they should see a movie that we can think of.

I know that I didn't say or do enough to get myself a job there, but I felt I could have if it was a one-on-one interview. Other people pretty much said what I would have said. I got a couple of words in about something and it doesn't seem like I really messed up, but still, not good enough as few others.

Bottom line, I felt good when I got called in for this interview, but after going through it, I knew it was pointless because I was not going to get a job there. It was said that within 2 days, people who are considered would receive a call. I didn't get one.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2011.

Interview

This has to be the single worst interview experience I've ever had. The interview was in a group of roughly 20 people, all of us forming a big circle in the middle of the store. Started off with a Q&A section and intro, the Q&A was ridiculously pointless as most people asked pointless questions and were focusing on volume rather than quality (which apparently management appreciated). Then they asked for a 30 second pitch of a movie to the person next to you. Then we did a scavenger hunt, yes, a scavenger hunt in an interview. Then more Q&A with more pointless questions where people are merely trying to get their face out there. Then they closed with the typical, why you and why do you want the job? No background questions, no behavioral questions, no in depth questions. But apparently those 2 questions were enough for the managers to make informed decisions. Also, whoever got to go last (which unsurprising was normally the same side of the room), was at a huge advantage. Many answers were reiterated, where the latter persons normally just gave more in depth versions of the answers before them (especially on the 30 second pitch). Interview took an hour and a half, but it felt like such a waste of time when you have such a small portion of time to make an impact. I would call the whole process unprofessional, unfair, sloppy, and pointless. I am honestly compelled to file a compliant. It was clear that they were focusing on saving themselves time rather than trying to find the best candidate, more of a reason blockbuster is failing I guess.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Appleton, WI) in June 2011.

Interview

The hiring manager asked a few questions right away, mostly what my favorite movie was and why I wanted to work at Blockbuster, then he asked me to try to sell him one of the running programs they had in store. The interview itself lasted 15 minutes, and was followed up by two phone interviews from higher ups in the company including an hour long conversation with a manager from another store, and a five minute chat with the DM.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Blockbuster (Luling, LA) in April 2011.

Interview

I applied to the job two months before receiving a phone call from the manager of the store. I was called in for the interview the next day after the call. The manager asked me questions about myself and my goals in life and showed me around the store. I was offered the job during the interview.

Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Tracy, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

I was called my a recruiter, which happen to be an assistant manager of one of the DM stores. Later, we became and still are good friends. then I went in for an interview at the local store..I waited for an hour at least but then the interview went well. I still am friends with the dm, AND then I had to wait to get an interview with the regional manager, turns out he was on vacation, so they went ahead and offered me the position. I was in a training store for several months, it was okay, I was able to to work and train without the pressure of having a store to pass or fail..this was nice because when I went to my own store I was confident. The only issue was when I was offered my store they made me interview with the regional manager...which was silly because I already was hired..were they going to fire me??? I did get the position but it was short lived..they ended up closing my store due to financial hardships. I decided to just finish and get my degree.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer
    • most questions were open based questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was actually very easy. I told her what I wanted, and she wanted me so much she went in at a higher rate..plus when I went from training manager to store manager I was given another raise! It was nice especially since I the company was going through financial issues and cutting back on a lot of things. It was nice because I knew the DM valued me and knew I was worth it.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster (West Covina, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

I applied online and got a call a week after to set up an appointment for the interview. It all started with small talk then he asked some stuff about high school since i had just graduated that year, such as the clubs i was in, my grades, and any regrets i had. Then towards the end asked me to go around the store and choose two movies and convince him to buy those movies. He also gave me a list of different membership plans then asked me to sell one to him.

Seasonal Customer Service Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Austin, TX) in December 2010.

Interview

I asked if there were any openings at my blockbuster store and I was referred to the online application. It included a one hour test, primarily a business ethics and media knowlege test. Brush up on games and game systems if you can. Then I was invited on short notice (the same day) for a group interview. It was actually enjoyable and upbeat. It took place in a Blockbuster store and I was told to grab a movie off the shelf that was "me" and tell everyone why it was "me". I was the oldest person there. The hiring person was very respectful in general and seemed very excited to have someone of my experience. I have been told right off that I am being considered for management after the holidays. The training program is fantastic, I am very happr with it and while I have to work hard and push sales, my Manager works just as hard. I have been offered two other jobs since, but am thinking of staying at Blockbuster because I like the way it is currently run.

Interview Questions

• Do you think most people will steal if they know they wont be caught?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiation for this job but am promised more after the seasonal job is complete

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Yuba City, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

I applied online. Then received a call for an interview. I then Interview with District Manager. After they decided I then received a Phone interview with Regional Manger. Then they did a Background check. This is pretty much what they did for all jobs that they were hiring for. Thanks

Interview Questions

• What was your worst customer service experience?   1 Answer

Shift Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Blockbuster (Lynnwood, WA) in November 2010.

Interview

I submitted a resume online through the Blockbuster website. Received a call for an interview, came in to the store to have the interview in the back room. Submitted a background check, then was hired.