Blockbuster

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – A Phone Interview, then a Hun resource Interview, then an Interview with the DM and then with the RDO Interview, It was very classic behavior questions, centered around leadership. Last was 3 different assessments - again very typical

Interview Question – Whats your favorite Movie   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fair and got extra vacation time

Yuba City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in December 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online. Then received a call for an interview. I then Interview with District Manager. After they decided I then received a Phone interview with Regional Manger. Then they did a Background check. This is pretty much what they did for all jobs that they were hiring for. Thanks

Interview Question – What was your worst customer service experience?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NO

Englewood, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very customer focused job, also need to be detailed about your inventory management, very difficult to manage your inventory on their antiquated systems, you need to be able to manage your inventory on pen and paper more than anything. They asked basic questions about customer service mostly. Other questions were about your hiring experience, and employee corrective action procedures.

Interview Question – Explain a situation where you failed to meet a customers expectation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered a reasonable salary based on the job requirements. I didn't negotiate much, but if they lowball you, and you have experience, push for 5-10% more.

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – Once you apply, your name is put into an electronic database where your answers from the personality profile score you as red, yellow or green. Usually, only green candidates are selected. In Blockbuster, it's now what you know... it's who you know. If someone in the running knows someone in the company, they have a leg up on you, despite your background. There is a first interview with the store manager and if for a management position, a 2nd interview with a District Manager.

Interview Question – Questions vary from manager to manager. The best question to reply to though is, "Do you have any questions for me?" - This is a chance to really show the manager your true interest in the company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – BB made an offer. I went to my current boss and he matched the offer. I went to BB and they raised the offer by 5K for management. I took the job at BB.

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – They are no longer hiring. Closing down all remaining locations. Don't bother applying. Look for another job.... seriously.

Interview Question – What's the least amount of money we can pay you for 50 hour of work per week.   Answer Question

Mesa, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interviews are set up as a panel and sometimes a group interviews. It depends on the interviewer how the questions go..sometimes they as star type questions and sometimes then go off script. There are many applicants that are hard to sift through so you mostly need to get an employee referral

Interview Question – They were mostly regular type questions   Answer Question

Concord, NH

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in July 2012.

Interview Details – I needed to communicate to my DM that I was interested in being a Store manager. Then my DM talked with a couple of store managers at other stores that knew me, as well as my current store manager and co-workers. Interview lasted a good hour and covered current staff and store operations. It also focused on my confidence on meeting future challenges.

Interview Question – How was the store's tnr to budget compared to last years.   View Answer

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview Details – The interview process starts with applying online at Blockbuster.com. The company that collects all the information in iCims. The District Manager will review the application and call for a phone interview. If you are still in consideration there will be at least one more phone interview with a group of District Managers and the Regional Director. If still in consideration there will be another interview with a top store manager of the district. So a minimum of three interviews if all goes well. If there is any doubt there may be one to two more with other top preforming store managers. The background check takes three to five days to complete. The main payroll and information system takes about another week to get all of the employees information downloaded.

Interview Question – Why do you wan to work for Blockbuster?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Very Easy Interview

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in December 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process when I signed up was ancient. They had people interviewing for Store manager as well as people in jeans and t-shirts that hadn't been washed in a week in the same circle. It was easy to stand out in that crowd if you had researched the company at all and had any smart sounding challenging questions.

Interview Question – Being asked to sell was a new one for me. Also the movie knowledge questions were weird. Luckily everyone was awful so I looked better than I was.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't one. They asked me what I wanted. I quoted a high number and she said ok. Come to find out later I was one of the higher paid store managers in the state and I had the least experience. Really I was hired as a spite move to the company I believe from a District manager on the way out.

Detroit, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Blockbuster in November 2008.

Interview Details – Easy

Interview Question – Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for Blockbuster? Contribute to the Community!