Blockbuster Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.5

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview

A Phone Interview, then a Hun resource Interview, then an Interview with the DM and then with the RDO Interview, It was very classic behavior questions, centered around leadership. Last was 3 different assessments - again very typical

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Fair and got extra vacation time

Other Interview Reviews for Blockbuster

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview

Once you apply, your name is put into an electronic database where your answers from the personality profile score you as red, yellow or green. Usually, only green candidates are selected. In Blockbuster, it's now what you know... it's who you know. If someone in the running knows someone in the company, they have a leg up on you, despite your background. There is a first interview with the store manager and if for a management position, a 2nd interview with a District Manager.

Interview Questions

• Questions vary from manager to manager. The best question to reply to though is, "Do you have any questions for me?" - This is a chance to really show the manager your true interest in the company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

BB made an offer. I went to my current boss and he matched the offer. I went to BB and they raised the offer by 5K for management. I took the job at BB.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview

They are no longer hiring. Closing down all remaining locations. Don't bother applying. Look for another job.... seriously.

Interview Questions

• What's the least amount of money we can pay you for 50 hour of work per week.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview

The interview process starts with applying online at Blockbuster.com. The company that collects all the information in iCims. The District Manager will review the application and call for a phone interview. If you are still in consideration there will be at least one more phone interview with a group of District Managers and the Regional Director. If still in consideration there will be another interview with a top store manager of the district. So a minimum of three interviews if all goes well. If there is any doubt there may be one to two more with other top preforming store managers. The background check takes three to five days to complete. The main payroll and information system takes about another week to get all of the employees information downloaded.

Interview Questions

• Why do you wan to work for Blockbuster?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Concord, NH) in July 2012.

Interview

I needed to communicate to my DM that I was interested in being a Store manager. Then my DM talked with a couple of store managers at other stores that knew me, as well as my current store manager and co-workers. Interview lasted a good hour and covered current staff and store operations. It also focused on my confidence on meeting future challenges.

Interview Questions

• How was the store's tnr to budget compared to last years.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Lafayette, LA) in June 2012.

Interview

The district manager at the time was nice and laid back, this interview was very straight forward. More like a conversation, as long as you're honest- everything should fall into place.

Interview Questions

• -What is your long term goal with the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Englewood, CO) in January 2012.

Interview

Very customer focused job, also need to be detailed about your inventory management, very difficult to manage your inventory on their antiquated systems, you need to be able to manage your inventory on pen and paper more than anything. They asked basic questions about customer service mostly. Other questions were about your hiring experience, and employee corrective action procedures.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you failed to meet a customers expectation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered a reasonable salary based on the job requirements. I didn't negotiate much, but if they lowball you, and you have experience, push for 5-10% more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Oklahoma City, OK) in December 2011.

Interview

The hiring process when I signed up was ancient. They had people interviewing for Store manager as well as people in jeans and t-shirts that hadn't been washed in a week in the same circle. It was easy to stand out in that crowd if you had researched the company at all and had any smart sounding challenging questions.

Interview Questions

• Being asked to sell was a new one for me. Also the movie knowledge questions were weird. Luckily everyone was awful so I looked better than I was.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really wasn't one. They asked me what I wanted. I quoted a high number and she said ok. Come to find out later I was one of the higher paid store managers in the state and I had the least experience. Really I was hired as a spite move to the company I believe from a District manager on the way out.

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2011.

Interview

Was talked to for about five minutes. Started with just the weather and why I wanted to work here. Manager told me about free movie programs . Was asked by times I could work and about standing up for long periods of time

Interview Questions

• Asked me if I am scard in bad areas of town   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Blockbuster (Schaumburg, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview was about a half hour long. The questions were direct, and there were multiple interviewers. Great questions for interviewee but was not very clear on expectations when asked. The description they gave was not consistent with the actual job.