Blockbuster Store Manager Interview Questions

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Tracy, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

I was called my a recruiter, which happen to be an assistant manager of one of the DM stores. Later, we became and still are good friends. then I went in for an interview at the local store..I waited for an hour at least but then the interview went well. I still am friends with the dm, AND then I had to wait to get an interview with the regional manager, turns out he was on vacation, so they went ahead and offered me the position. I was in a training store for several months, it was okay, I was able to to work and train without the pressure of having a store to pass or fail..this was nice because when I went to my own store I was confident. The only issue was when I was offered my store they made me interview with the regional manager...which was silly because I already was hired..were they going to fire me??? I did get the position but it was short lived..they ended up closing my store due to financial hardships. I decided to just finish and get my degree.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   1 Answer
  • most questions were open based questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was actually very easy. I told her what I wanted, and she wanted me so much she went in at a higher rate..plus when I went from training manager to store manager I was given another raise! It was nice especially since I the company was going through financial issues and cutting back on a lot of things. It was nice because I knew the DM valued me and knew I was worth it.

Other Interview Reviews for Blockbuster

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Detroit, MI) in November 2008.

Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Vacaville, CA) in October 2008.

Interview

Applied online and received a call back from the Store Manager. Went in for an interview and he asked a lot of questions about experience in sales. He tried to push me toward starting as an Assistant Manager and working my way up. All follow-ups resulted in further stalling from the Store Manager, at which point I decided to just move on.

Interview Questions

• How does your previous experience fit in with the sales culture here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Troy, NY) in November 2008.

Interview

Interview consisted mainly of the general questions concerning a promotion within a company. Most of it was based on previous experience as the assistant store manager and when I filled in as the temporary store manager. Ultimately declined the offer as I was in school and the pay was not as good as expected.

Interview Questions

• What will you do to try and improve the company from this position?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in July 2008.

Interview

completed a phone interview, then completed a 400 question survey online through a third party agency

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yuba City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Yuba City, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

I applied online. Then received a call for an interview. I then Interview with District Manager. After they decided I then received a Phone interview with Regional Manger. Then they did a Background check. This is pretty much what they did for all jobs that they were hiring for. Thanks

Interview Questions

• What was your worst customer service experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Mesa, AZ) in January 2009.

Interview

Interviews are set up as a panel and sometimes a group interviews. It depends on the interviewer how the questions go..sometimes they as star type questions and sometimes then go off script. There are many applicants that are hard to sift through so you mostly need to get an employee referral

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster (Englewood, CO) in January 2012.

Interview

Very customer focused job, also need to be detailed about your inventory management, very difficult to manage your inventory on their antiquated systems, you need to be able to manage your inventory on pen and paper more than anything. They asked basic questions about customer service mostly. Other questions were about your hiring experience, and employee corrective action procedures.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you failed to meet a customers expectation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered a reasonable salary based on the job requirements. I didn't negotiate much, but if they lowball you, and you have experience, push for 5-10% more.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster.

Interview

Once you apply, your name is put into an electronic database where your answers from the personality profile score you as red, yellow or green. Usually, only green candidates are selected. In Blockbuster, it's now what you know... it's who you know. If someone in the running knows someone in the company, they have a leg up on you, despite your background. There is a first interview with the store manager and if for a management position, a 2nd interview with a District Manager.

Interview Questions

• Questions vary from manager to manager. The best question to reply to though is, "Do you have any questions for me?" - This is a chance to really show the manager your true interest in the company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

BB made an offer. I went to my current boss and he matched the offer. I went to BB and they raised the offer by 5K for management. I took the job at BB.

Store Manager Interview

Interview

"Casting Call" -Group interview with 2 or more Store Managers: introductions, purpose, general questions, scavenger hunt.--Managers looking at personality, group dynamics, and for leadership. Candidates that were selected from group were contacted for additional interviews by interested SMs.

Interview Questions

• What qualities are needed to be a Good Manager? What steps do you take to resolve a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hourly rate was set, little wiggle room.