Blockbuster

2.7

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in December 2010.

I was called my a recruiter, which happen to be an assistant manager of one of the DM stores. Later, we became and still are good friends. then I went in for an interview at the local store..I waited for an hour at least but then the interview went well. I still am friends with the dm, AND then I had to wait to get an interview with the regional manager, turns out he was on vacation, so they went ahead and offered me the position. I was in a training store for several months, it was okay, I was able to to work and train without the pressure of having a store to pass or fail..this was nice because when I went to my own store I was confident. The only issue was when I was offered my store they made me interview with the regional manager...which was silly because I already was hired..were they going to fire me??? I did get the position but it was short lived..they ended up closing my store due to financial hardships. I decided to just finish and get my degree.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   View Answer
  • most questions were open based questions   View Answer
It was actually very easy. I told her what I wanted, and she wanted me so much she went in at a higher rate..plus when I went from training manager to store manager I was given another raise! It was nice especially since I the company was going through financial issues and cutting back on a lot of things. It was nice because I knew the DM valued me and knew I was worth it.

Other Interview Reviews for Blockbuster

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in November 2008.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in October 2008.

Applied online and received a call back from the Store Manager. Went in for an interview and he asked a lot of questions about experience in sales. He tried to push me toward starting as an Assistant Manager and working my way up. All follow-ups resulted in further stalling from the Store Manager, at which point I decided to just move on.

Interview Questions
    • How does your previous experience fit in with the sales culture here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in November 2008.

Interview consisted mainly of the general questions concerning a promotion within a company. Most of it was based on previous experience as the assistant store manager and when I filled in as the temporary store manager. Ultimately declined the offer as I was in school and the pay was not as good as expected.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do to try and improve the company from this position?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Blockbuster in July 2008.

completed a phone interview, then completed a 400 question survey online through a third party agency

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in January 2009.

Interviews are set up as a panel and sometimes a group interviews. It depends on the interviewer how the questions go..sometimes they as star type questions and sometimes then go off script. There are many applicants that are hard to sift through so you mostly need to get an employee referral

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in January 2012.

Very customer focused job, also need to be detailed about your inventory management, very difficult to manage your inventory on their antiquated systems, you need to be able to manage your inventory on pen and paper more than anything. They asked basic questions about customer service mostly. Other questions were about your hiring experience, and employee corrective action procedures.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you failed to meet a customers expectation.   Answer Question
    They offered a reasonable salary based on the job requirements. I didn't negotiate much, but if they lowball you, and you have experience, push for 5-10% more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yuba City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yuba City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in December 2010.

I applied online. Then received a call for an interview. I then Interview with District Manager. After they decided I then received a Phone interview with Regional Manger. Then they did a Background check. This is pretty much what they did for all jobs that they were hiring for. Thanks

Interview Questions
    • What was your worst customer service experience?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NH

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster in July 2012.

I needed to communicate to my DM that I was interested in being a Store manager. Then my DM talked with a couple of store managers at other stores that knew me, as well as my current store manager and co-workers. Interview lasted a good hour and covered current staff and store operations. It also focused on my confidence on meeting future challenges.

Interview Questions
    • How was the store's tnr to budget compared to last years.   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Blockbuster.

Once you apply, your name is put into an electronic database where your answers from the personality profile score you as red, yellow or green. Usually, only green candidates are selected. In Blockbuster, it's now what you know... it's who you know. If someone in the running knows someone in the company, they have a leg up on you, despite your background. There is a first interview with the store manager and if for a management position, a 2nd interview with a District Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Questions vary from manager to manager. The best question to reply to though is, "Do you have any questions for me?" - This is a chance to really show the manager your true interest in the company.   View Answer
    BB made an offer. I went to my current boss and he matched the offer. I went to BB and they raised the offer by 5K for management. I took the job at BB.