Bloom Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Recruiting Coordinator
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloom Energy in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online in late December. Three days later, I got a call from the Recruiting Manager. She asked a few hard questions right off the bat (What stresses you out? How would you handle an angry client? etc.), and then told me another Recruiting Associate would call me later that day. The second Recruiting Associate asked similar questions, as well as a few generic questions about my past work experience. All in all, though, the phone screens went well, and the Recruiting Associate said she would arrange for an onsite interview the following week.

Onsite, I met with the two employees I spoke with over the phone, as well as a Senior Recruiter, the HR Director, and the VP of HR. (I hadn't been told I would meet the VP of HR ahead of time, so that was a surprise. Luckily, I wasn't on a tight schedule that day.) They gave me a few job-related scenarios to solve, asked more questions about what frustrates me/stresses me out, and asked generic questions you would find at any interview (Why this company? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? etc.) I got the feeling they wanted someone with more experience for the role, but they were pleasant throughout the interview process.

The Recruiting Associate sent me a generic email five days later, saying they had picked another candidate for the role. I wasn't particularly surprised, but I appreciated how promptly they followed up.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed.   Answer Question
  • If there was a process you didn't agree with, and your manager said this process was there for a reason, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Principal Information Security Architect Interview

Principal Information Security Architect
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloom Energy in December 2013.

Interview Details – Not even an interview; seems they want someone to be more 'hands on' and technical. Wait, you are asking for an Architect not an engineer. Seems this is their first ever Information Security role for the company; and they are looking for the unicorn. Unclear in their requirements or expectations, inexperienced in the talent pool that is out there and what we bring to the table. HR recruiter Monica Harnoto will not engage or discuss.

With them firing their CIO this summer, suggest we steer clear.

Interview Question – N/A, denied via email.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Bloom Energy in June 2012.

Interview Details – The frame time from the interview through the hiring process was very short, around 2 weeks. The interview process was carried out by 5 engineers from different departments; each of them interviewed me for around 15 to 20 minutes. The hiring process was very smooth, everything was very well organized. The hiring day, I met with personal from HR, IT, Safety department, and with the team of the department I was going to start to work with. Each department provided me with the necessary tools to perform my job.

Interview Questions

• The unexpected question was: What would you do if your boss yells at you?   View Answer
  • Another unexpected question: What would you do if you are working with a coworker on a short-term project, but she/he is not doing his part?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offer seemed very fair to me. They offered me $ 20.00 per hour for an internship position, and gave me the option of time and a half payment for overtime hours. I think that that kind of money for a person that is learning to work as an engineer with not major responsibilities is fair. I have friends doing internships for IBM, and they get paid nothing.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Installations Applications Engineer Interview

Installations Applications Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloom Energy in October 2013.

Interview Details – Company recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. Spoke with a separate HR person for 15 minutes before three 1/2 hour phone interviews with hiring manager (potential supervisor) and two other managers. Invited to in person interview with a total 8 people for three hours. All interviews were scheduled through a third HR person. I was asked the same questions during the 1/2 hour interview sessions, which another reviewer mentioned. The questions were relevant to the position, but it did feel repetitive and somewhat exhausting by the last hour. During one of my sessions with two people, I could see one of the interviewers yawning out of the corner of my eye as I was responding to the other person's questions. He also had his iPhone on and was receiving phone calls, e-mail and text messages during my interview.

I ended up staying 1/2 hour longer than scheduled because a manager from the East Coast who I had previously spoke to over the phone came in to speak to me after my last interviews and proceeded to ask me more technical questions. It was my bad for not being prepared, but I had already expressed that I wasn't completely knowledgeable of their product and industry coming from different field and doing different types of work. He was honest with me at that time that he liked my enthusiasm, but was concerned that I was unable to speak technically to customers.

I was informed of their decision to move forward with other candidates within a week of my in-person interview. Standard letter of rejection...thanks for your time, we're moving forward with other candidates, we'll keep your resume on file.

Overall, I had mixed feelings about the interview process as I had to deal with three different people from HR and the repetitive questions made me wonder about their hiring process and even what exactly was expected of the job. I had the opportunity to ask the people I interviewed with about why they chose the company and why they still work there. Considering the long hours they work, I truly hope their positive responses were genuine.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel if I told you we work from 8:00am to 6:00pm?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a difficult project experience you had?   Answer Question
  • How many projects do you work on at a time? (This was one of the questions asked multiple times)   Answer Question
  • Do you have experience coordinating with the utility? (Another repeated question.)   Answer Question

Field Service Technician Interview

Field Service Technician
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloom Energy.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter & went through 1 phone interview prior to being scheduled for an on site interview. This was the most disorganized interview in my history. It was set up to be a panel interview but key personnel were too busy to accommodate the scheduling. I was interviewed by about 3 different groups of 3-5 people & asked pretty much the same questions each time. My answers most likely got less detailed & enthusiastic each time due to the chaos. I was there for 6 hours (not exaggerating!) not offered lunch or a break for lunch while interviewers switched out. The FS manager came in last & asked many rapid fire questions in an antagonistic manner. I'm not sure if he really was a dick or just seeing how I handled pressure. I found it entertaining but wondered if I would really want to work for this guy.

Interview Question – What do you hate most in a manager? What if I'm a manager like that?   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloom Energy in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was relatively easy. The management team struggled a lot to find a right person to interview me.

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloom Energy in April 2012.

Interview Details – The first phone interview was with bloom energy recruiter, the recruiter did not call me at the scheduled time. After inquiring it was rescheduled. The interview went well. A day later I got a call to from some lady to schedule an appointment with the hiring manager.

The hiring manager called in 15 mins late, sounded totally disinterested did not introduce himself and just asked me can you go through your resume. As I was going through my resume he asked me if I knew anything about six sigma tools told him yes. Then it seemed like he started walking or was on a speaker, but it was hard to hear a word he was saying that is when he asked me something I did not understand, I repeated the question to conform what he said....he totally got disinterested and said "well I am sure I will find people with more experience thank you for your time. Do you have any questions?"

That was about it....10 mins tops.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloom Energy in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online.
Contacted by HR and talked briefly about experience and job position.
First a phone Interview with Hiring Manager; mainly diving deeper into resume/experience and more in-depth into job position.
Second an on-site 1:1 interview with a group/panel (about 4 total); All interviews were very open/informal, with no specific format or questions.

Very poor perception of the culture: interview was cut short halfway through interview.

Interview Question – How do you manage a project?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloom Energy in August 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the Recruiter, fairly simple process with the normal personality and background check. Got a phone call from the Hiring Manager the next day with a more in depth interview. Asked about my experience and not very technical. Friendly enough but never called back to inform that they decided to move forward with other candidates. Reason was the Hiring Manager thought my skill set was more suited for another position and not as a Test Engineer.

Interview Question – All things equal ,what do you enjoy most as an engineer?   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloom Energy in June 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview from two of the hiring managers. The phone interviews were mostly questions about my past experience and were not very difficult. Then I had an on site interview that lasted 3hrs with 6 different staff members. This was a very technical interview and included everything from detailed description and explanations of my past projects to a comprehensive written test. The interviewers were very direct and challenging.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Bloom Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloom Energy interview questions and advice in Sunnyvale, CA. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloom Energy employees and interview candidates.