BloomReach Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA

Updated Mar 12, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BloomReach (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online, then was contacted by recruiter to set up a phone screen -- 3 in total, each of them contingent on good performance on the previous. Interviewer was OK, but hard to understand and not very responsive to questions asked about the specifics of questions.

Interview Questions

• Checking if a word could be formed from other words, i.e. "helloworld" == true, "helloworl" == false   2 Answers

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BloomReach (Mountain View, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I took two rounds of phone interviews before onsite. One was good the other was so so. Basic coding questions and algorithm/data structure questions. Some are related to big data operation.

There are three rounds of onsite interviews. First interviewer asked four algorithm questions. I need to code two of them. None of them were very difficult, the interviewer was nice and willing to give hints. The second one was a design question about a chat application and several follow up questions on scalability. The third one again was a coding question, the interviewer came in and raised the question and started to work on his laptop. I came up with an idea and he brought up a counter case. I couldn't find a good solution after a while and asked for more hints. Finally I was able to finish the code but felt really bad. We remained silence for most of the time, the interviewer seemed busy with his own work. I would give a negative experience but the other interviews were quite nice. I'm not sure if the third guy was the bar raiser.

Interview Questions

• Painting a list of houses using three different colors with minimum cost.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BloomReach (Mountain View, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

2 Telephonic and 4 onsite interviews.
    1. Write a program(WAP) to multiply 2 matrices.
    2. Given a number WAP to find a number closet to it and is a power of 2 e.g. i/p 7 o/p 8.
    Given a list of houses and cost to paint them with three 3 colors R,G,B and the condition that two adjacent houses can not be painted with the same color. Find the minimum cost to paint all the houses.
    e.g.

h1 h2 h3 ….
    R 2
    B 3
    G 1

minimum cost to paint house i with Red . h(i).R = min(h(i-1).B, h(i-1).G) + h(i).R;
    similarly for Blue and green and then return min(h(n).R, h(n).B, h(n).G);
    Given a binary tree with each node storing size of the sub-tree (leaves are of size 1) write a function which given an integer ‘n’ returns the ‘n’ the node in the in-order traversal of the tree.
    A left complete binary tree is a binary tree with two additional properties:
    1. Cannot add a new level until all previous levels are completely filled.
    2. During insertion, the left most open slot is filled first.

You are given a left complete binary tree and a new node, insert the new node
    in the tree so the resulting tree is also left complete.

// Implement this method. Assume root and newNode are not empty
                currentNode.right = newNode;
            q.enqueue(node.left);
            q.enqueue(node.right);
    }
    Now optimize it for space.
    Implement LRU cache.
    Detailed discussion on working and time complexity of external merge sort.
    Given an array and a sum find whether there exists 2(and then 3) numbers in the array that have the given sum.
    Find all unique permutation of a given string which may contain duplicate characters.

Interview Questions

• 2 Telephonic and 4 onsite interviews.
      1. Write a program(WAP) to multiply 2 matrices.
      e.g.

h1 h2 h3 ….
      R 2
      B 3
      G 1

similarly for Blue and green and then return min(h(n).R, h(n).B, h(n).G);
      A left complete binary tree is a binary tree with two additional properties:
      1. Cannot add a new level until all previous levels are completely filled.
      2. During insertion, the left most open slot is filled first.

You are given a left complete binary tree and a new node, insert the new node
      in the tree so the resulting tree is also left complete.

// Implement this method. Assume root and newNode are not empty
                  currentNode.right = newNode;
              q.enqueue(node.left);
              q.enqueue(node.right);
      Implement LRU cache.
      Detailed discussion on working and time complexity of external merge sort.

Answer Question

Storyteller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BloomReach (Mountain View, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied for the Storyteller position online and was contacted within a few days. The HR representative for the initial phone screen was nice and personable, and most of the questions asked were in regard to my background and experience.

The second interview was with the hiring manager and was a Skype video call (I am currently located overseas so this may differ depending on the applicant's location). The manager was also personable and his attitude helped me feel relaxed. I even felt a little bad since he was conducting the interview from his home after work hours! One unique thing about this interview that might have taken me by surprise had I not prepared a little was he started out asking what questions I had for him. After filling me in on the answers, the manager asked more questions about my experience and background in writing.

Both interviewers were great and I was sad to hear I didn't get the job! BloomReach looks fun and the people look real and very talented.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were typical interview questions, though the second interview started out with the manager asking me for my questions as opposed to saving that for last.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BloomReach (Mountain View, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

1) Recruiter call - just to know if you are interested about the position, what are your expectations etc.
    2) 3 Phone Interviews: Algorithm/Coding problems ranging from recursion, dynamic programming to data structures like trees, queues etc. One mathematical question also.

Everything was very smooth. They only contact a few candidates, which they think could be a good fit for the company, which is why the whole process is quite swift and efficient.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did really good on the interviews which is why I was able to negotiate a little bit.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BloomReach (Mountain View, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

2 Phone screens and 1 onsite.

Interview Questions

• General questions. Nothing out of the world.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at BloomReach (Mountain View, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I ran into one of BloomReach's first engineers at a technical event and was very impressed with both his breadth of knowledge and the types of problems he mentioned he was working on. When he brought up that I should come and interview at BloomReach I took some time to research BloomReach. I liked what I saw.

I got back in touch with him at this point and grabbed coffee to discuss further. After coffee I decided it would be worth my time to take a day and interview with the team.

The interview process has evolved somewhat from when I joined less than two years ago, but the basics are still the same: 4-6 technical interviews covering all the bases. I was wiped out at the end of the process, but in a good way.

My final interview was with the CEO after which I received an offer and was able to negotiate salary.

Interview Questions

• Using standard unix command line tools, work through basic set operations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You will have to negotiate.