Bloomberg L.P.

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process lasted a long time, which seemed to indicate not a great internal process. There were numerous people to meet, but because of scheduling it was impossible to see more than one person at a time.

Interview Question – Do you have any uncertainty about this role?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

Interview Details – Almost 12 interviews because there was no job opening at the time. The questions, and questioners were indicative of something I would later learn about the culture: people here are aggressive and like to see how you respond to being pushed around.

Many of the questions were general conversational questions about what I had done before. But many of them were clearly attempts to test the thickness of my skin. Almost none of the questions were technical.

Interview Question – "I have no idea how you ever made any money." that really happened   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I wasn;t really able to negotiate

Very Easy Interview

Princeton Junction, Mercer, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2010.

Interview Details – Called in, asked few questions about background and experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for this position.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2010.

Interview Details – Got a call at 9:10 in the morning - they dont want their people sleeping in, I guess. The interviewer was pretty courteous, very nice. First she asked me to run through my resume. I started with my most recent experience, since it was most apropos. She asked what I knew about the division I was applying for (renewable energies) and I did have a chance to look back over the job posting as well as study up on the "Bloomberg Philosophy" before the phone interview so I was able to fill in some details. She didn't seem too demanding on in-depth knowledge here, so that's fair. However, seemed glad that I knew something.

Most of the questions afterwards were generally about my finance and marketing experience and clarification questions running through my history to see how my career developed. Also,

After the interview she asked for a writing sample - the more quantitative the better. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything terribly quantitative on file so sent her something with both quant and qual, um, qualities.
She also mentioned that I might have to resubmit my application since something went wrong with their system the first time around and it had automatically asked me the wrong questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about some roles you've doing finance. How about marketing analysis?   View Answer

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview before an actual interview. All the questions were pretty standard, expected questions, the experience overall was nice. It was for the tokyo office so it was in both japanese and english.

Interview Question – They were all pretty standard questions. What were the hardest challenge you faced in working with a group and how did you solve it, etc   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Proceeded to grad school

Cape Town (South Africa)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2011.

Interview Details – It was lengthy, it took about 2 months in total. I had actually written off the application and was interviewing elsewhere by the time I had a phone call to let me know they were bringing me in for an interview.

I was then offered another job at a smaller, local company and told bloomberg of this. I believe this sped up the process with them considerably, as they liked me in the 1st round interview with two of their best and brightest in the office. I then came in a few days later and had an interview with two managers in the Global Data dept in London via video conference.

They offered me the job a day or two later and I accepted.

Interview Question – They weren't difficult in hindsight. They also weren't relevant for the role in question either. The one question I do recall well is this:

'How does a wind turbine work?'
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was possible.

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – very lengthy, many interviews, always go for the best

Interview Question – Will expect any reporter to be familiar with The Bloomberg Way, the book outlining their writing formula, and then edit a story to that style   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview with HR, followed by managers, followed by regional manager.

Interview Questions

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2010.

Interview Details – Tough one on one interview at a career fair. For an international position, definitely needed a very high level understanding of the local language. Interview required rather intimate knowledge of Bloomberg's various functions and codes. They did not value background market knowledge and news items as much as I had thought going in.

Interview Question – Tell me all the Bloomberg functions you know or remember.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2010.

Interview Details – Followed by a phone interview, I had a face to face interview for an analyst position. The main questions were about me, my knowledge of the company and the department I applied for. I found the interviewers harsh in their answers and quite unpleasant to whatever I could have said : Checking their watch, putting pressure on me by asking intensively question with no break,..

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Analyst interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.