Bloomberg L.P. Data Analyst Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.9

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details Online application followed by a 20 minute phone interview and a face to face meeting ( if based in London ) or video conference.
Phone interview was very generic/basic
• CV Walkthrough
• Why Bloomberg?
• What do you know about the company?
• What do you know about the role?
• What’s the difference between good and great customer service?
• How do you keep up to date with financial news?

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Applied for an analyst position and received an unscheduled phone call the next week asking if I had some time to discuss my application, which I didn't so rescheduled for the next Monday morning.
    This 'phone interview' was pretty easy going and only lasted 15 minutes with basic questions being asked like:
    (1) Why Bloomberg?
    (2) Why this role?
    Seemed to really just want to hear that I had a good understanding of the company. Easy going conversation with a friendly voice on the other end.

A few days later I was invited to interview - this was carried out by video conference in one of their local offices as I was not based in London.
    Interviewed by two young, friendly people. Questions were slightly more varied, but again they really just wanted to hear that I was passionate about my chosen area, that I understood Bloomberg well and was eager to work for them over any investment bank, that I understood the role and that I had experience working with data sets before - a few more questions here but nothing overly complicated.

If you can convey that you're well motivated and passionate about the area I think interviewees will tend to do well in any interview.

Invited to second round interview which was also carried out via video conference, and then finally invited to an in-house interview for the final round - again the majority of the questions were similar to those already mentioned.

Experience was very good throughout to be honest, all my interviewers were very friendly - read up what others have said on Glassdoor and you won't be caught out.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation took place.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2012.

2 phone interviews with common questions "What do you know about BB?", "Why you're interested in this job?", "Why do you think you're suitable for this job?" with reviewing the CV. 20-30 min long. 1 hour in-site interview with almost the same questions. Be prepared for explaining why you are suitable for the role, why BB is so special overall and for you and check the latest news on their website to discuss about.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2012.

The interview went well. Questions were mainly typical, i.e. why Bloomberg, why this position etc. Also question about your CV, about how Bloomberg operates, how would you benefit to the company. Requires for applicant to know the information about the company and operations. Phone interview took about 15-20 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2012.

1) Applied online and in my case received a call back after 3-4 days. It was a easy 15-20 minutes phone interview where I got asked questions such as:
    Why Bloomberg? Why this department? Why this position?

2) 1st interview with Team Leader and Product Manager over video conference as I was not based in London at the moment. Similar as 1st interview but more in depth.

3) 2nd interview which was final one was in London with Head of Global Data. Similar as first two interviews.

Interview Questions
    • No really difficult questions. However, they ask a lot about "Why Bloomberg" and that is very important for them. They really really want to see that you would like to work for the company and that you will not leave for banking or so.   View Answer
    Entry level job had standard offer.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2012.

I applied online and two weeks later I was invited for a telephone interview. The questions were typical, Why Bloomberg? What does the Financial Data Department do?
    The only question that I found strange was How Bloomberg collects data for Mutual funds.

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2012.

Natural. To be successful have to know he company business and understand that it is not an investment or advisory firm - Bloomberg is a provider of financial services - in my case it was data. So you have to show that you are passionate about research technology and data entry.

Interview Questions
    • How does the technology help Bloomberg develop their business   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

I applied to Bloomberg via their web page and was very surprised that they got back to me in a short period. I think it took about 2 weeks for them to invite me for the first phone interview.
    The first interview was conducted by a HR person who asked me the basic motivational questions:
    - Tell me about yourself and your experience?
    - What do you know about Bloomberg?
    - Why did you apply for this position and Bloomberg?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    - Why do you want to work with finance?
    However, in addition to the basic motivational questions I was also asked what I knew about the position (what is it that a data analyst for the global data funds department does and why? ) and if I knew what the current events on the financial markets.
    I am very happy to say that I passed the first interview and got the second interview shortly after. So far I have had four interviews with four different managers at Bloomberg. For the other three interviews the questions were very similar to the above mentioned ones. My advice for anyone who has an interview with Bloomberg is to practice on the motivational questions but also do your research for the position you have applied for and make sure to be up to date with the current happenings on the financial markets.

Interview Questions
    • - Tell me about yourself and your experience?   Answer Question
    • - What do you know about Bloomberg?
      - Why did you apply for this position and Bloomberg?
      - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      - Why do you want to work with finance?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

Simple Phone Interview, then interview with two team members. Very tough interviewers who asked a number of probing questions ranging from previous work experience and education - I was a recent graduate. I waited a week or so and was told that I passed the interview and there was a second face-to-face interview. Again, interviewers (two) were very tough and seemed to care about the Bloomberg values and how one needs to be capable of working autonomously. However, I felt like they were playing the good cop bad cop roles. After that interview I was told I would expect a response within a few days. This never came. I had to chase up, which I thought was very bad form seeing as I had a phone interview, attended two interviews and this was the final round. They should have at least had the courtesy to let me know. Very disappointing, especially since I was requesting more time from another job offer. I finally got a response from an automated message that said I shouldn't respond back to. A good experience prior to letting me know whether I got the job, but the failure to inform me and also email I received left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions
    • The questions required in-depth responses and asked questions on financial news and current affairs. As I mentioned I read the Economist asked a question regarding that week's edition.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

Shortly after filling in the application online I received an early morning call telling me they wish to interview me briefly. feeling unprepared I told the interviewer I am busy at the moment and whether she can call later. She kindly accepted allowing me to review my CV once more and to prepare myself. the interview lasted for 15 minutes and included general question with a touch of financial field related ones..

Interview Questions
    • What financial statements will you have to look at to estimate a company's performance?   View Answer
    • What kind of contribution will you be making to the company ?   View Answer