Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com
  www.bloomberg.com

Bloomberg L.P. FInancial Sales and Analytics Training Program Interview Questions

2.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

I originally applied through my school's career database. The school contacted me within 2-3weeks and told me that I was accepted to interview with the two representatives that were coming to our school. The interview was 2:1 where they asked me basic questions about myself and my resume, cover letter, etc. This first interview lasted 30min or so. About a month later I was emailed by and HR representative informing me they wanted to meet with me in New York. THey paid for my transportation, and lunch. Upon getting to the office I was given a tour of the building, and I shadowed one of the employees for an hour or so. I then met with my interviewer, and spoke with her for about an hour. She basically wanted to get a feel for why I am interested in finance, and why Bloomberg. They didn't ask any complicated questions, just a getting a better feel for me and how well I know and understand the company.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Analytics and Sales Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2010.

I applied online for the position and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with an HR person and consisted of typical interview Qs (i.e. Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, Why an interest in the company, Tell me about yourself) One week after the phone interview I was contacted via email to come into the company for a more in-depth interview. The in-depth interview consisted of tour of the facility (similar to a campus tour), a 2:1 interview with lead members of the sales and analytic departments, and a "shadowing" session with someone who had been at the position for a few months. Each part lasted about an hour for a total of a 3 hr process. Interview Qs were similar to phone interview. Bloomberg as a policy does not divulge feedback on interviews so my final questions was for any feedback, one of the interviewers told me Bloomberg doesn't give feedback and then repeated everything I just told him as to why I thought I would be a good fit and told me that's what they look for. I got an email a few days later saying I would not receive a job offer and that any email responses would be forwarded to HR and not responded to. I had sent thank you emails to both interviewers and my "host" for that day and got no responses. (They did pay for my travel - 2 Accela tickets and I was given a $75 gift card for expenses)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2010.

One week after I applied they scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard, they asked me what I knew about Bloomberg, why I was interested in financial markets, etc. As long as you do some research on Bloomberg and read the news regularly, the phone interview shouldn't be an issue. Later I was asked to attend an in house interview in New York.

Bloomberg paid for my flight and hotel, and at the end gave me a $75.00 gift card to cover any additional expenses. The interview was with two managers, both seemed nice, though one wouldn't make eye contact with me, which I found a bit odd. They asked me questions similar to the phone interview, gave me some hypothetical situations, asked me how I would handle them. The interview seemed to go well, though I was a bit nervous.

Several days later I received a "copy/paste" email from HR with bad grammar, telling me they had decided to pursue other candidates. I emailed an employee who showed me around that day, asking if they knew why (I wanted some feedback, wasn't trying to change their mind or anything), within minutes HR replied to the email, saying due to company policy, they were not allowed to give me any feedback, and that I should direct all questions to them.

I wouldn't have been as irritated if they had bothered to make the initial rejection letter look like a human wrote it, I guess after getting such a good impression of the company, I didn't expect them to do something that seemed a bit unprofessional. Since they did pay for my trip to New York, I didn't get too upset about the lack of feedback. Aside from the issues with HR, everyone was very nice and it was overall an interesting experience, I would still recommend applying to Bloomberg.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example where you have sold something to a customer. How did you do it? How did you ensure that customer kept coming back?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2009.

Applied online to the Financial Sales and Analytics Training Program on the Bloomberg site, an HR assistant emailed me the next day to schedule a phone interview. I made the phone interview for early on the following week. After the phone interview they called me back 3 hours later offering to fly me into NYC for a 2nd round interview at the Lexington Headquarters. I flew out to NYC the following week; they paid for my flights, paid for 1 night in a nice hotel, paid for accommodations to and from the airport in a Lincoln Town Car, and finally gave me a 75 dollar gift card to cover any additional expenses (I know right! Sweet!).

I showed up that morning and was taken in for a 2:1 interview. They asked me common questions but focused on the fact that I was interested in the global economy/markets and there would be great room for advancement for me at their company. Afterwards I was taken around, given a tour of the building, the Bloomberg tools were explained to me, and finally I shadowed several employees performing day-to-day functions.

There were about 6 other prospective employees there, we were then dismissed 2 at a time and all of us were presumably told we would get a call back in 1-2 weeks. It's day two of the wait for me so I'm not worried yet.

Financial Sales and Analytics Training Program Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

The first round interview was done in the following process:
    1. Enter Bloomberg building and get invited to a meeting room.
    2. The HR lady explained about the company, working culture, the role and its career path. Successful candidate will be provided training for about 8 weeks, take a few exams. After that, you would become a generalist and work in the Analytic team for a while. Then, you will again receive training from Bloomberg. If successful, you can choose to be a Team Leader in Analytic team, Financial Sales, or Advanced Specialist. This is the career path they suggested.
    3. After explanation, you will be asked to give a brief self-introduction and tell them why you are interested in Bloomberg and apply this position.
    4. Then, candidates will be divided into groups. A (role-play) scenario with a task will be assigned to each group. The group is expected to give a group presentation, try to convince the other HR lady (who will try to give you a tough time) and complete the task as specified. The HR will observe your communication skills and determine whether you are shortlisted.

I was shortlisted. However, I didn't want to go to second round interview. From the phone, I was told a team leader/manager in the Analytic team will attend the second round interview and they really want the candidates have passion about Bloomberg and the positions they applied.

Interview Questions
    • Introduce yourself and why you are interested in Bloomberg and this position   Answer Question
    • You will be given a scenario and asked to give a group presentation as I mentioned in the interview process.   Answer Question