Bloomberg L.P. Financial Analytics Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

First round interview was a phone call that went over my CV. Basic questions took only about 10-15 minutes.

Second round I was invited to the 731 Lex office in NYC. I toured with an Analytics representative, make sure to pay attention to what they are doing and get an understanding of your day to day activities. Ask the rep a lot of questions as well. After shadowing with the rep I had a video conference interview with two managers in the SF division. They asked me questions regarding the role and whether I understood what the position entitles. I went over my resume and gave them real life experiences. I talked a little about current events. I also gave a quick sales pitch. This round is mainly seeing if your qualified and understand what you're doing. They will ask you finance and sales related questions.

Third round interview I was invited back to 731 Lex, this time everything taken care of by Bloomberg. I met with the head of the North American Analytics department. She asked me questions regarding the culture within the company. Also, a lot of questions regarding my personality and ethics.

I received a call a couple of days later saying that I received the position. I was then emailed my offer letter and given a date to accept, sign, and send over the paperwork.

I also recommend becoming qualified in Bloomberg's BESS Program offered on the terminals.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is something currently happening in the financial world? What about within commodities?
    Q: Give me a quick sales pitch about [ usually something related to your professional/academic experience]?
    Q: If a company has a terminal not in use and decide to purchase another user, do you notify the company that their is a terminal not in use, or do you just go along with the sale?
    Q: How would you pitch to someone to use this expensive terminal? What are the main benefits of the terminal?
    Q: What are your thought's on Mr. Bloomberg's company changes

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

First round - 15 minute phone interview
    Second round - flew me to NYC for a 'superday' of interviewing. For the first hour, I job shadowed. The second hour was a 2:1 interview. The third hour was a tour of the building. The fourth hour I waited to find out if I made it to the next round. The final round was another 2:1 interview.
    Ladies, make sure not to wear heels to this interview. It is a very long day and lots of walking.

Interview Questions

• What is an interest rate? Who is the head of the Federal Reserve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied through my university. First step was a phone interview, second round was a 2 on 1 campus interview. Very conversation. Asked me where I saw myself in 5 years. The final round was at Bloomberg headquarters. Tour of the building followed by a one on one interview with the head of the department. Took 2 weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Pitch me your favorite app   1 Answer

Financial Analytics Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online and got a call. Had an on campus interview and received the offer two week later.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Was asked basic FIT questions. Tell me about your resume. What do you know about BB. What do you know about the position. Tell me about a piece of financial news you are following. What other companies have you applied to. If you could work anywhere besides BB where would it be and why.

Interview Questions

• where else did you apply to work?   1 Answer

Financial Analytics Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Not many technical questions were asked - one interviewer asked me what today's Dow Jones Industrial Average was and he only wanted a ballpark estimate. I had three rounds of phone interviews and I've been invited to the final round of interviews. First round was with the HR rep, second with one of the guys from the Financial Product Sales team, and the third was with a team leader from Sales and another team leader from Analytics. Briefly discussed today's market news and headlines - their way of determining your interest in the industry. Everyone asked "Why Bloomberg?" that kind of question, so be sure to have some solid reasons why you are interested in the industry and the company.

Financial Analytics Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2011.

Interview

Prepare the following types of questions and you should be fine- GOOD LUCK!! Be confident and most importantly passionate :)

SET 1 QUESTIONS - COMPANY
    What do you know about Bloomerg?
    Why did you pick Bloomberg?
    Who are Bloomberg’s clients?
    Who are Bloomberg’s competitor’s? How does their client base differ from that of Bloombergs?
    Why does coca cola use Bloomberg?
    What is the most used function on Bloomberg?\
    What did you take away from the Bloomberg website

SET 2 QUESTIONS – About the Current Financial Markets
    What financial news are you following?
    What current financial news are you following?
    What are Fibonacci numbers?
    What is an interest rate swap?
    How do you keep updated on current events?
    What financial stories have you read recently?
    What is the difference between stocks and bonds?
    Discuss a piece of recent financial news?
    Given the current economy would you invest in short term, or long term bonds?
    Why does Google refuse to issue debt?
    Why would some companies have a much higher P/E ratio than others?
    Give an explanation of the recent financial crisis?
    What is the difference between CFD’s and futures?

SET 3 QUESTIONS – ABOUT YOU!!
    Run through your resume

Who am I?
    Why am I ready for the challenges and rewards at Bloomberg?
    What were your extra curricular activities in University?
    Hobbies?
    What do you understand about the role?
    Why you?
    What questions do you have for Bloomberg?
    Why do you want to work in financial markets?
    Where do you want to be in your career next?
    What is your 5 year plan at Bloomberg?
    Give an example of a situation where you go extra miles to achieve a goal?
    Tell me about a time when you had to be creative?
    What is your leadership style?
    What made you realize your interest in Finance?
    Give an example to prove that you have good communication skills?
    A test about your problem solving ability on the spot?
    Give an instance when you have initiated a task in your previous work experience?
    Share some personal stories?
    What really interests me?
    3 companies or corporations you admire and why?
    Why would someone want you on a team over someone else?
    Why do you have an interest in Bloomberg?
    Give an example of a time you have sold something to a customer? How did you ensure that the customer kept coming back?
    What is your biggest success and biggest failure?
    What is your greatest accomplishment and why?
    Strengths and weaknesses?
    Tell me something to separate you from the rest?

SET 4 QUESTIONS – SALES AND CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTIONS
    Describe the terminal to someone who has never heard of it?
    Tell me a time you went above and beyond to help a customer?
    How would you handle an extremely difficult and demanding client?
    How would you describe good customer service?
    General Sales questions?
    Sell me this pen- Sell me this cup?
    How can you sell Bloomberg to a group of strangers in a room when you have no time to prepare at all?
    Tell me about a time you had to convince someone – sell your idea to somebody.

Financial Analytics Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2010.

Interview

After applying online, I was emailed to set up a time for a phone interview. I had the phone interview within the week.

Interview Questions

• How do you follow the financial markets? What current news story are you following?   Answer Question

Financial Analytics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (City of London, England (UK)) in November 2010.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn - received an email from HR to confirm the time for a phone interview. As I currently work shifts, I asked them to call between shifts. They did not confirm the time, and after they missed the first agreed time, I emailed them asking what happened. They apologized and agreed to call at the same time, the next week. Again, they missed the interview. Apparently she was stuck in meetings. Third week on, they call at the wrong time, so I have to call them back and I finally get through to a different person who qualified me for the job.

Phone Interview:
    Notice period, previous work experience, languages, and asked what my interest in finance was as I majored in Russian and Politics. I talked about QE2 and the long-term inflation danger. They asked me what I knew about Bloomberg's products, and I missed out on the trading platform - claimed ignorance. Overall, I thought it went poorly, but sure enough I was invited for the first round in-house.

First Round:
    Seven of us arrived in the London office. It was a sociable group, and we all introduced ourselves (as opposed to most other group interviews/assessment days I've been to where the people were nervous and cold). We had two "guides" that told us what to expect: presentation on Bloomberg; a brief shadowing of an analytics member; 2:1 interview; tour of the premises.

Interviewers were intelligent and experienced, and it was probably the best interview I've had. Whether or not that's because I was successful and wanted the job, or if it truly reflects the nature of the company, I can say they did not pry on dangerous parts of my CV, i.e. why did I leave recruitment, why been out of work, etc. They were keen to understand my character, my ambitions and clearly my knowledge of finance. I can say from experience that it is very difficult to feign interest and enthusiasm, so having read the FT/Economist/Bloomberg.com certainly helped my case. "What do you know about the job" "What did you observe when you shadowed analytics" "How do you open a sales call". These were good, probing questions that get at one's soft skills and business acumen.

Fundamentally they wanted to know: Could I understand and become proficient in the discourse of finance, that is, understand its complexity and sell financial innovation; did I have the ability, character, and confidence to sell, to ask questions, to negotiate and work through disappointment; and finally, was Bloomberg a cultural fit, i.e. did my values and beliefs fit with the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe in layman's terms the difference between a future and an option.   Answer Question

Negotiation

If its a fit, its a fit. A bit fatalistic, but that's the best I can advise.

Financial Analytics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Tokyo (Japan)) in October 2010.

Interview

the interviewer praised my GPA and asked me to introduce myself, explain why I'm interesed in Bloomberg, and give a personal point of view about the strong yen (or the recent Japanese economy). The interviewer was kind of sily to ask those questions, but it may not be his fault since he was probably following a company's interview manual. If I knew what they would have asked, I'm sure that I could have done better. Be prepared if you really want a job in this company.

Interview Questions

• do you think the strong yen will persist (or what do you think about the strong yen) ?   Answer Question