Bloomberg L.P. Financial Applications Developer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2014

3.2

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

I met one recruiter in a on campus info session. Applied online and got an phone interview invitation pretty soon. The interviewer was nice, and asked me a bunch of brain teaser(might have something to do with probability). After one week, I got a positive feed back and was invited to an on-site interview plus company tour.

Interview Questions
  • The phone interview is pretty easy. The on-site one is more technical and they did ask some concept that I did not know of.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Applications Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Recruited at university career fair. Went through four rounds of interviews in three sessions, all on campus. First two were 2:1 technical interviews, next two were behavioral with someone from HR followed by a manager. Received response one week later.

Financial Applications Developer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

1st round is easy, some C++ and algorithms. 2nd round is totally unexpected. A lot of CS stuff were asked. I am not CS, I have no idea.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me how to compress files. And the classical dictionary problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

Met a recruiter at the campus career fair. Interviewed on campus by two of bloomberg's developers. It was almost entirely a technical interview. I had to code a fairly straightforward algorithm and answer a probability question.

About two weeks later I received an e-mail for a phone interview. I Responded for an appointment, but received a rejection e-mail shortly after.

It may have been a mix-up on their part but I felt I performed adequately on the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose there is a building with 25 floors. If n-1 people enter an elevator and press a floor button. What is the probability that when the nth person enters, the 19th floor has already been pressed?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2013.

Took more than 6 weeks until got the interview offer. It was 1-hour telephone interview. Being asked several questions on data structure and algorithm and no questions on background and CV. Most of questions are not that extremely hard and the interviewer was kind enough to help. After a few weeks, got the rejection.

Interview Questions
    • Is there any algorithm to verify whether a linked list is circular or not?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

Applied online as well as at University career fair.
    Received call for on campus interview after two days. Process comprised of 4 rounds.

Round 1: [45 mins] Two software developers: Started off with a few basic questions regarding keywords and their implementation differences in java and c++. Then moved onto questions on dynamic memory allocation. This was followed by a programming question about binary search trees. Finally was given a brain teaser to solve within 10 minutes.

Round 2: [45 minutes] Two software developers: Received a call one week later for another round of interview. This interview was totally based upon programming questions. I was told to write around 5 programs on paper within a span of 45 minutes. The interviewers were very nice and expected me to tell them what I was thinking while writing the code.

Round 3: [30 mins] Senior Technology Manager: Interviewed the very next day on campus. The senior manager was very nice and initially asked me questions based on my background and why I am interested in the field of financial technology. Why Bloomberg LP? This was followed by about three programming questions. This seemed to be an interview where they want to check if you will be a good fit for any of there teams.

Round 4: [30 mins] HR Manager: The last two rounds were back to back. The HR manager again asked me questions pertaining to my background and my summer experience. She asked me to give a list of companies where I have been interviewing along with Bloomberg. My salary expectations and availability to work.

Received a call around 5 working days later that I had been accepted into their program.

Overall a very nice experience. They were timely in getting back to me after each round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are based upon core C++ concepts. Be prepared to make changes to your code as per the requirements of the interviewers. Make sure you practice writing code on paper as it is totally different from writing code on the computer. Also do not underestimate the non- technical questions as they do give equal weight to them as well.   Answer Question
    I accepted the offer and did not negotiate as their compensations was way above my expectation coming straight out of graduate school without any full time experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

I get an phone interview last year, it is technical related. I was asked to solve a question about sorting a set of number.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

Met recruiters in a career fair. Got an interview slot instantly.
    In person interview with 2 developers.

Pretty simple programming questions:

1. Given a string find the 1st non duplicate character
    2. Given stock prices for 8 days, find the maximum profit you can make by buying and selling the stock on different days.

Interviewers are extremely helpful. They drop many useful hints.

Financial Applications Developer Interview

Met recruiter at campus career fair, and we chatted about my background (getting Ph.D. in non-CS field). Asked why I would want to work at Bloomberg, and why as a software developer. This question comes up often (and for good reason), so know your answer well. Asked to interview the very next-day on campus.

Two rounds of on campus interviews (back-to-back days) followed, both in 45-minute two-to-one format with software developers. Given my background, was mostly high level data structure/algorithms/logic questions, but was asked to write code/pseudocode at every round.

Last round was with HR and a senior manager. HR is mostly behavioral, manager starts with behavioral/background, but spends most of the time asking a rather difficult/open-ended question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string of characters (e.g. Scrabble tiles) and a dictionary of allowed words, how would you use those tiles (without replacement between words) to construct the 10 longest allowed words?   View Answer

Financial Applications Developer Interview

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2013.

Applied online, received an email for phone interview schedule within 3 weeks. At first were technical questions about my projects, data structure and algorithms . then asked OOP, polymorphism, inheritance, give examples, then some simple algorithm problems. I got all the answers right, but may seem not experienced enough. They want highly experienced programmers I think, even for this non-cs position

Interview Questions

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!