Bloomberg L.P. Financial Applications Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Applied in mid February. After a few weeks, received an email asking to set up a phone interview. I was re-scheduled for interview a week later. Then got a call from one of the software developers. Interviewer was very nice, kind and understanding. Asked questions about my prior software developing experience, basic C++ questions, etc.

Interview Questions
  • Average interview. Interviewer asked when do we use BST and hash table? What is the complexity of search or insertion for BST?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

For the phone interview, I was asked for basic concepts about vector, array, linked list and their difference. Another question is given you a book, there is a function that you can get a word every time, how to find out the five words appear most frequent ?

Got the invitation for onsite interview the second day. There were four rounds, the first two were technical interview, the third round I saw HR, the last round was a manager.
    1. There are consecutive numbers from 0 to 100, one is missing, find out which one? And improve the algorithm. How about using math method?
    2. Search and sort question and improve accuracy.
    3. Given you lots of left and right bracelets, how to test if the bracelets make pairs.
    4. Delete a node in linked list.

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online, got a phone interview. They had a lot of applicants; I believe the job is currently filled (2014).
    Phone interview had only tech questions. Interviewee picked at my resume and posed in depth questions about SQL that I used for a project. I was stumped on some questions that I thought were unfair. (e.g. I was asked how I would implement a Foreign key constraint if I were designing that algorithm)
    I was then asked for a sorting algorithm and Big O. Then how I would sort the array if I knew the range of integers.
    Didn't know data structures/algorithms for interview and it hurt my interview...didn't receive an offer and I wasn't surprised.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement a Foreign key constraint if you were to design it?   Answer Question

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

I went to a college career fair and applied online. Got an interview 2 weeks after the career fair. I went in and answered all their questions but as soon as I entered their room they seemed disinterested in me. One guy left the room and the other guy took out his phone while I was working out on of their problems. Felt really unfair of them to do that. Overall the questions were relatively easy though.

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

I applied to the position through my university's career website. For about two weeks later, I received an e-mail for an on-campus interview (it was one day after I received the e-mail).
    A technical (obviously a programmer) person made the interview. It was disappointing that he looked at my CV for only 3 seconds and immediately moved forward to his questions (I am with a non-CS background) First the behavioral question, then the technical questions. Exactly one week later, I received my reject e-mail.

I was able to give answers to the questions but I told him also that my answers are not the most optimal ones. Then he pushed me through to solve the questions his way. He helped a lot but I was stuck with the way of thinking that I started with. Anyway, at the end I was able to understand what he meant and summarized the new solutions. I was expecting to be rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Given a list of integers whose range is known, find the most frequent one.   View Answer
    • Why do you want to be a programmer?   Answer Question
    • User enters an integer, write this number in the reverse order (e.g. 123----> 321)   View Answer
    • You're in a tunnel and 30 m. away from one exit. The total length of the tunnel is 100 m. There is a train outside of the tunnel that is coming towards you from the side that you're closer to. You don't know how far is it but you know its speed is twice of your speed. You want to survive, to which way you would start to run?   View Answer

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

The man interviewing me was nice, however, they marketed the job wrong. They were recruiting for people who didn't have computer science degrees but have taken computer science classes. I have taken programming classes and they accepted my resume and interviewed me. However, the questions were all around coding, which I am not an expert at.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2013.

I applied to this position online. My first interview was over the phone, the interviewer asked some data structure questions about queue and stack as well as strings and arrays.

Interview Questions
    • How to implement a queue using a stack   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

Applied Online - Called for a phone Interview after a month or so. Phone interview consisted of a little background check followed by an algorithms, data structure questions and a brain teaser. Answered all of them - Got an invitation for an in-house interview 3-4 days later.
    In-house interview had 4 rounds. From what I understand from other postings, each of them are knock-out rounds. So if you are moving to the next round, its a good sign.
    1st Round - Two software developers - Mostly Coding, data structures and algorithm based Qs.
    2nd Round - Two senior software developers - Similar to the first round.
    3rd Round - Senior Manager - This was mostly a fit interview with a coding question thrown in between.
    4th Round - HR - This is a standard behavioral interview. Was given the offer the very next day.
    I must admit that they work at a very impressive rate.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are developing algorithms and data structures for a given problem. Be prepared to write a piece of code on paper. I was asked to do that in all interviews except the phone interview.   Answer Question
    No Negotiation. They give a standard offer.

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Asked me three questions.
    1. Use a stack to implement a queue.
    2. How to decide if a binary tree is balanced.
    3. Find the most frequently number in a linked list of ints.

Interview Questions
    • Find the most frequently number in a linked list of ints.   Answer Question

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I met Bloomberg recruiters at the career fair and dropped my resume. I spoke to them for 5-6 minutes but wasn't sure if they liked me or not. They called me the same day and scheduled an interview for the following day at my school campus. The interview was a 45 minute technical interview led by 2 mid-level employees. I stumbled a lot but they seemed to like me. I got a call back the same day to schedule another interview for the next day. It was another 45 minute technical interview led by other 2 mid-level employees. I did really well in this interview and I was called back the same day again to schedule the final interview for the following week (again on my school campus).
    The final interview was suppose to be 45 minutes of behavioral interview and a 45 minute technical interview. The behavioral interview was with an HR person and it was very short, it only took 15 minutes. Then the technical interview was led by a high level employee. The questions were difficult, I failed to give the correct answer but the interviewer seemed to like my thinking process. I was told that they would get back to me in a week and I was offered a job a week later. I was given three weeks to make my decision. They also flew me out to visit Bloomberg before I had to make my decision. Their offer was by far the best offer I received, so I accepted the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given a matrix where all columns and rows are sorted and an integer k. How would you find k in the matrix?   View Answers (2)
    There was no negotiation.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!