Bloomberg L.P.

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Applications Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2009.

I applied online and then was contacted by HR for a online analytical test.
After I took the test and passed the requirement, I got a phone interview within one week.
I will keep posting the interview process if I go further with Bloomberg.

Interview Questions
  • Given a decision making graph and ask for the name of the graph....
    the option has sequence pattern, selection pattern, termination pattern and...the other two I forgot.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2009.

After submitting my resume/cover letter, they asked that I take an online aptitude test. The test had a number of analytical questions - it was rather similar to the LSAT ("If A, B, C, D, and E have appointments on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...") except that it had some questions asking to follow and describe flowcharts, and some other pretty dumb questions about counting the number of times a certain letter appeared in a paragraph. The questions were timed.

I must've done alright (the LSAT prep I'd done separately proved rather helpful) since they asked me to come to New York to interview and tour their headquarters.

Interview Questions
    • How many times does the word "today" appear in the following puzzle, either diagonally, horizontally, or vertically, either forwards or backwards?

The puzzle was a word search just like you used to do in elementary school, except this one was timed.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2009.

I initially applied online, and was contact by HR to do an online skills assessment test. The test was easy--it was multiple choice, and consisted of basic math problems, logic problems, and attention to detail. Each question was timed.

I completed this successfully, and was scheduled a phone interview. The interviewer asked about some projects that I had done, and after I mentioned a few, he made up many questions on the spot that related to my projects; why would such and such cause a problem, what if I had tried this instead, why wouldn't doing something a certain way make sense, etc. There was barely any feedback in either the positive or negative direction; the interviewer would often ask if I was sure about the answer I had given.

Following the phone interview, I was contacted for a timed technical test on a programming language of my choice. Difficulty of questions on this test varied very widely, though many were very high-level and heavy on nitpicky details. I assume this test was used mostly to gauge my level of knowledge of the language.

After completion of the test, I was contacted for an in-house interview.

Interview Questions
    • (Programming Language Test) When casting an object of a polymorphic class from a base class, which kind of cast executes only if it's is valid?   View Answers (3)

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2009.

Ask some question about counting character show up in a paragraph which is strange. Some analytic questions and logic questions. Some of the questions need more time but each question has only 3 minutes. It's an average difficulty. If you like to take such questions, it's just like a game.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Had two on-campus interviews that mainly consisted of logic questions and pseudo computer code questions. Following on-campus interviews I was flown to New York for an on-site interview that consisted of two back-to-back 1:1 interviews. The first was with a hiring manager and the second was with an HR representative. I was asked additional logic questions and another pseudo computer code question. Overall they were much more interested in logic questions than actually getting to know me. I was asked very few behavioral questions or other questions at all.

Interview Questions
    • Using a computer programming script, how would you solve for the square root of an integer which was input by the program user?   Answer Question
    • Given 8 pennies, 7 of which weigh the same, and one of which is slightly heavier than all the others - state the minimum number of times you could use a balance scale to determine which penny was the heavier one.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

First was an online IQ type test followed by a phone interview. The "IQ test" consisted of word problems, image manipulation questions, word searches and other questions. Have a pen and paper ready because you will probably want it.

Interview Questions
    • Identify how many times a single word appears in a word search.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

After passing the resume screen, I was contacted by a Bloomberg rep about taking an IQ test. The test took me about 0.5-1 hrs and comprised of logic, math, and teaser questions. After passing the test, I was contacted again about scheduling a phone interview. I sent in my available times and received an email about a week later confirming a time slot. The phone interview lasted about an hour and was technical. I got a programming question and two logic brainteasers. The interviewer was very nice and generally helped me work through the problems, but I even so, I couldn't answer one of the questions. I think this is why I didn't make it past this round (he was dropping REALLY big hints, can't believe I didn't get it).

Interview Questions
    • My clock is 9 minutes slow every hour. At noon, it tells the correct time. After how many hours will it again tell the correct time?   View Answers (3)

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

I attended a Career Fair at my college, I couple days later I received an email asking me to schedule a time for an on-campus interview. The On-Campus interview was pretty easy, just asked me about my resume and some basic interview questions. I received an email a day or two later asking me to take the next step in the application process by completing an online skills assessment. I thought it was going to be easy maybe some basic math problems and count how many times a certain letter would appear but I underestimated it. Yes there was some of those questions but keep in mind each question is timed. You have two minutes to answer each question.

Interview Questions
    • If there are 7 blue balls, 4 greens, 5 yellow, 2 green and in the first position there is a blue ball and in the fourth is a yellow, and the blues cant be next to another blue and green have to be next to each other, what color ball is in the third position.   Answer Question

Financial Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2012.

First round, taking online IQ test. Mathematic problems as well as abstract reasoning problems. Second round, phone interview with a current financial application engineer. Asked about probability, brain teaser, and simple algorithm problems. Was asked to attend an in-house interview the next day. Third round, in-house interview with two R&D specialists. Asked why the role and what I would like to do. Then several C++ and algorithm questions. I did poorly on one of these questions.. Later they also asked things relevant to my major(not a CS major) which I answered pretty well. At the end of the interview, I was asked to stay in the room. Thought the I passed and was expecting for the next rounds. Yet the recruiting contact person showed up and lead me out of the building.... Thought I did well on most of the questions though.

Interview Questions
    • How would you count number of words in a sentence in C++?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

I had two interviews with Bloomberg. The first was an on campus interview consisting of general questions about my programming projects, basic data structures problems, and a brain teaser. The second interview was on site and consisted of two interviews. One was behavioral and the next was entirely about algorithms and data structures.

Interview Questions
    • The question about dropping two eggs from a 100 story building. I forgot the question exactly, but I remember seeing it on Glassdoor before.   Answer Question