Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the financial application engineer position since I am not from CS, and got the email to do an IQ test, but was rejected, because I did not finish the test actually.

Interview Question – logic questions about programming   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – After passing the resume screen, I was contacted by a Bloomberg rep about taking an IQ test. The test took me about 0.5-1 hrs and comprised of logic, math, and teaser questions. After passing the test, I was contacted again about scheduling a phone interview. I sent in my available times and received an email about a week later confirming a time slot. The phone interview lasted about an hour and was technical. I got a programming question and two logic brainteasers. The interviewer was very nice and generally helped me work through the problems, but I even so, I couldn't answer one of the questions. I think this is why I didn't make it past this round (he was dropping REALLY big hints, can't believe I didn't get it).

Interview Question – My clock is 9 minutes slow every hour. At noon, it tells the correct time. After how many hours will it again tell the correct time?   View Answers (3)

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – It took 45 minutes. First, discuss my background, experience, my interest and why I choose Bloomberg. Then, 3 IQ/Intelligence questions.

Interview Question – why you choose Bloomberg?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

Interview Details – First was an online IQ type test followed by a phone interview. The "IQ test" consisted of word problems, image manipulation questions, word searches and other questions. Have a pen and paper ready because you will probably want it.

Interview Question – Identify how many times a single word appears in a word search.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details – Had two on-campus interviews that mainly consisted of logic questions and pseudo computer code questions. Following on-campus interviews I was flown to New York for an on-site interview that consisted of two back-to-back 1:1 interviews. The first was with a hiring manager and the second was with an HR representative. I was asked additional logic questions and another pseudo computer code question. Overall they were much more interested in logic questions than actually getting to know me. I was asked very few behavioral questions or other questions at all.

Interview Questions

• Using a computer programming script, how would you solve for the square root of an integer which was input by the program user?   Answer Question
  • Given 8 pennies, 7 of which weigh the same, and one of which is slightly heavier than all the others - state the minimum number of times you could use a balance scale to determine which penny was the heavier one.   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – Took an interview for 35 minutes. First 10-15 minutes were about my previous internship and duties performed there. Then given a code to write. It was a simple code wherein you need to strip off some unwanted/stray characters from a string. Did that. Then was asked just 1 question which was difference between malloc() and new(). I could just remember 1 difference. 2 days later got a reject.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, receive online skill assessment test, waiting for phone-interview.

Interview Questions

• A clock is going slow at a rate of 9 minutes per hour, and it's showing the right time now, it's Monday noon, what's the next time the clock show the right time?   View Answer
  • A lot of figure rotation, ask you which one is missing in the process.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – I have left my resume with one of the developers who came to Campus to give a presentation. The HR called me after a week inviting me to my first interview when they are visiting our Campus again.
1st Round: Brain Teasers & Background Check - Was called in for the second round the very next day.
2nd Round: More Brain Teasers and a few Coding related Qs. It went fine and was called in for an in-house interview a week later.
3rd Round: On-site. Was Simple but the interviewer was intimidating and didn't like me for some reason right from the interview started as he was 15 min late to the interview and didn't even answer my questions in the end properly. Obviously, I ended up having a weird feeling at the end of the interview as I didn't know how it went even though I could answer a decent chunk of questions.
Got a rejection mail after a week.
Advice: Prepare well as most of the Qs asked are standard ones but it just boils down to who you are interviewing with in the end.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2008.

Interview Details – Applied online, was contacted by phone from HR to come to the HQ for an interview day in midtown Manhattan. Interview day consisted of tour and presentation, with boxed lunch and a scheduled 45 minute 1:1 interview time. Interview was purely technical, with programming brainteasers and C/C++ knowledge questions.

Interview Question – Given an unknown function with a limited number of known points, how do you try to estimate the rest of the function?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2009.

Interview Details – I initially applied online, and was contact by HR to do an online skills assessment test. The test was easy--it was multiple choice, and consisted of basic math problems, logic problems, and attention to detail. Each question was timed.

I completed this successfully, and was scheduled a phone interview. The interviewer asked about some projects that I had done, and after I mentioned a few, he made up many questions on the spot that related to my projects; why would such and such cause a problem, what if I had tried this instead, why wouldn't doing something a certain way make sense, etc. There was barely any feedback in either the positive or negative direction; the interviewer would often ask if I was sure about the answer I had given.

Following the phone interview, I was contacted for a timed technical test on a programming language of my choice. Difficulty of questions on this test varied very widely, though many were very high-level and heavy on nitpicky details. I assume this test was used mostly to gauge my level of knowledge of the language.

After completion of the test, I was contacted for an in-house interview.

Interview Question – (Programming Language Test) When casting an object of a polymorphic class from a base class, which kind of cast executes only if it's is valid?   View Answers (3)