Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Product Sales and Analytics Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. One basic HR phone interview (why bloomberg, why sales, resume, what's a market event you've followed). Second round in NYC HQ with two more individual interviews, one with a sales focus and one with an analytics focus. Not too technical outside of current events, market participants, and how Bloomberg specifically plays a role. Final round is behavioral with a role play and a few other questions.

Interview Question – How could xyz company use Bloomberg?   Answer Question

Financial Product Sales and Analytics

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Got a phone interview, it lasted for 10 minutes. The guy that was interviewing was boring and had monotonous answers all the time. He asked the same questions that are posted here. He seemed not to be from HR but a manager that had to do this even though he did not like it.

Interview Question – What do you think about the upcoming products?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview: resume walkthrough, behavioral questions, why finance, why Bloomberg. The next day I received an invitation for in-house interview at their HQ in NYC. They fly you in, car service to the hotel. Hotel's only a block away from the office.
First part of the day is sitting with different employees, then 2:1 interview with managers, building tour, then wait for HR. If they want you, you'll stay for the afternoon. If not, they'll escort you out aka you're not getting an offer, aka you have the rest of the day to wander around NYC until your flight that night.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Products Sales and Analytics

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online. The following week, I received an e-mail asking to set up a phone interview. Had the phone interview a few days later. The interview was short...the interviewer seemed in a bit of a rush. Asked me about myself, what I knew about Bloomberg, what my understanding of the position was, etc.

Interview Question – Nothing too unexpected.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Process began with an initial phone interview with a recruiter who asked a series of basic questions on your resume and your interest in working for the company. I heard back within the week, and was flown to NYC for an in-person "superday" at Bloomberg headquarters. Superday interview was with two different managers, one from sales and one from analytics. Important to know as much as possible about the company and its products, and be able to relay why you are a perfect fit for the company. Finally, after three weeks, got an email inviting me to a final round interview, and was flown back to NYC a few weeks later. Tough interview with two senior managers. Make sure you know the company and the position well, and that you can speak intelligently about current events. Three weeks later I got an offer.

Interview Question – Why Bloomberg? Where else did you apply, and why would you rather work here than those other places? Give us a sales pitch. What's the greatest misconception people have about you?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – The phone interview was 20 minutes long and pretty straightforward. The interviewer asked me about myself and we briefly went over my resume--standard stuff. The last part of the phone interview consisted of me asking questions and the interviewers telling me more about bloomberg. The second round was on campus and was a fit interview also standard stuff. It was a 2 to 1 interview. Since this position leads to product sales after spending a year in analytics, the interviewer asked me about sales experiences I had. Make sure you understand that analytics for bloomberg is not data crunching, but customer support where you are assisting customers.

Interview Question – Tell me about a sales position you had   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Very straightforward, however encountered problems whereas the system withdrew my application without my request. The interviewer was very friendly and accommodating. Most of the questions asked were straightforward in terms of relating to previous experiences and competency based questions. Most important question is 'Why Bloomber? and What is unique about the culture.'

Interview Question – Specific question related to asset classes. Explain the difference between an option and a forward   Answer Question

Financial Products Sales and Analytics

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – 1st Stage was a phone interview;
Tell me about yourself?
What does Bloomberg offer?
Tell me about your understanding of the role?
What might a Car company use the terminal for?
Explain the Ukraine Crisis and what effect is this having?
Relate your answer of the Ukraine Crisis to that of the car company, why might the terminal be useful to them in this instance.

2nd In-House Interview in London offices
Talk me through your CV?
What do you know about Bloomberg?
Why Bloomberg and not a financial company?
Where does Bloomberg's revenue come from?
How else does Bloomberg earn revenue apart from the terminal?
Scenario: Bloomberg are not flexible on price, and a investment bank client has said they are moving their custom to a cheaper platform. How would you deal with this and what would you like your outcome of the situation to be/ or rather what would you be happy with?
Scenario: You are brought to a trading floor of a company with your manager. While your manager is preoccupied with the client you strike up a conversation with another person who is using FactSet (competitor). You don't know much about the type of purpose he is using for. Would you rather engage the potential client and go for a sale or would you leave to go back to the office and for all in tense and purposes lose that potential sale?
How might someone dealing in currency hedge?
Difference between Future and Forward?
What are such things as Forward known as in the financial world? (fyi Over The Counter Products)

3rd Interview - Waiting to see if i get called back

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Interview Details – was contacted by the HR around 1 month after application submission to provide availability for a phone interview and a face-to-face interview (if the phone interview is successful) as well as a couple of other questions, such as offers on hand, expected grad date, and the latest CV to be attached.
Replied and was later informed to attend the face-to-face interview directly the next week.

The first face-to-face interview turned out to be a group interview lasting about 1 hour. 8 candidates were divided into 2 sub groups, and two interviewers(1 hr, 1 team leader from the Analytics) was in charge of each sub-group for 30 min and then switched for the second 30-min. 2 discussion questions in total for each 30 session. The interviewer would occasionally jump in as well, but mostly just observe.

Successful candidates went to the second interview with another team leader from the sales analytics immediately after the group interview. Basic questions such as why Bloomberg and questions about the experience on your resume.

Informed by the HR to attend the third interview the next week. 2 to 1 interview, with one team leader from the Sales side and one manager from Analytics. Questions about your motivation and choice, role play (sell me the terminal)

Nice office buildings, people looked very busy.

Interview Question – Tell me the linkage of your major and the role you applied. How will your major of study benefit your taking up the role here?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Had two rounds of interviews, first one was suppposed to be a 15 minute telephone interview with HR, but was with the team leader and 45 minutes in the end. Next round was with the team leader and a team member. You really have to know a lot about the terminals and how you would sell them to potential clients.
Communication with HR was rather poor (different interviewer and wrong emails).

Interview Question – You really have to know why Bloomberg adds value for clients   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!