Bloomberg L.P. Financial Product Sales and Analytics Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2014
Updated Aug 14, 2014
18 interviews

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First it was a phone interview which is fairly basic last around 10 minutes. After you get that they fly you up to NYC and then you meet with two managers at the same time. They ask you what do you know about the position/company/yourself. Why sales, why this position, talk about something going on in the market. It was fairly easy. Just prepare well and study the description. Also ask in depth questions. They also ask you to sell them something which is tricky because I have more financial service experience then sales. They key to this question is to literally sell them a product by asking the interviewers all questions. For example, if you are selling a phone ask them, "How do you usually communicate with individuals that are long distance? Would you enjoy a product that can allow you to do that more efficiently? blah blah blah. I didn't do that therefore I believe that was my downfall. Then they sent me home after that which apparently means you aren't getting an offer. I believe there was another interview during that day. Also not really sure what they are even looking for in a candidate. Seemed to be more specific.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

I am going to keep it short. The previous reviews outline the process and give a pretty solid idea of the questions asked during the interview. However be careful you might get asked to stay in a weird way that you have to read into it. We were told that there are not enough managers to interview us and we will be notified if we get selected to come back. I had mixed signals and the HR campus recruiter who made the announcement so I took it for face value since it came from someone IN CHARGE. Then I found out it was a lie. Why do such a reputable company's HR have to lie???? Here is a good idea start handing out envelopes for instance formally showing interest rather than "see you soon" or just ask the candidate to stay for the next round. That was my experience. Lying is definitely not an excuse to discharge disqualified candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If you hear "there are not enough managers to interview you" know that you are not selected   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Applied online. One basic HR phone interview (why bloomberg, why sales, resume, what's a market event you've followed). Second round in NYC HQ with two more individual interviews, one with a sales focus and one with an analytics focus. Not too technical outside of current events, market participants, and how Bloomberg specifically plays a role. Final round is behavioral with a role play and a few other questions.

Financial Product Sales and Analytics Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Got a phone interview, it lasted for 10 minutes. The guy that was interviewing was boring and had monotonous answers all the time. He asked the same questions that are posted here. He seemed not to be from HR but a manager that had to do this even though he did not like it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Phone interview: resume walkthrough, behavioral questions, why finance, why Bloomberg. The next day I received an invitation for in-house interview at their HQ in NYC. They fly you in, car service to the hotel. Hotel's only a block away from the office.
    First part of the day is sitting with different employees, then 2:1 interview with managers, building tour, then wait for HR. If they want you, you'll stay for the afternoon. If not, they'll escort you out aka you're not getting an offer, aka you have the rest of the day to wander around NYC until your flight that night.

Interview Questions
    • What was going on during your internship last summer?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your biggest nightmare experience in your previous jobs.   Answer Question

Financial Products Sales and Analytics Interview

I submitted my resume online. The following week, I received an e-mail asking to set up a phone interview. Had the phone interview a few days later. The interview was short...the interviewer seemed in a bit of a rush. Asked me about myself, what I knew about Bloomberg, what my understanding of the position was, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Process began with an initial phone interview with a recruiter who asked a series of basic questions on your resume and your interest in working for the company. I heard back within the week, and was flown to NYC for an in-person "superday" at Bloomberg headquarters. Superday interview was with two different managers, one from sales and one from analytics. Important to know as much as possible about the company and its products, and be able to relay why you are a perfect fit for the company. Finally, after three weeks, got an email inviting me to a final round interview, and was flown back to NYC a few weeks later. Tough interview with two senior managers. Make sure you know the company and the position well, and that you can speak intelligently about current events. Three weeks later I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? Where else did you apply, and why would you rather work here than those other places? Give us a sales pitch. What's the greatest misconception people have about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

The phone interview was 20 minutes long and pretty straightforward. The interviewer asked me about myself and we briefly went over my resume--standard stuff. The last part of the phone interview consisted of me asking questions and the interviewers telling me more about bloomberg. The second round was on campus and was a fit interview also standard stuff. It was a 2 to 1 interview. Since this position leads to product sales after spending a year in analytics, the interviewer asked me about sales experiences I had. Make sure you understand that analytics for bloomberg is not data crunching, but customer support where you are assisting customers.

Financial Products Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Very straightforward, however encountered problems whereas the system withdrew my application without my request. The interviewer was very friendly and accommodating. Most of the questions asked were straightforward in terms of relating to previous experiences and competency based questions. Most important question is 'Why Bloomber? and What is unique about the culture.'

Interview Questions
    • Specific question related to asset classes. Explain the difference between an option and a forward   Answer Question

Financial Products Sales and Analytics Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

1st Stage was a phone interview;
    Tell me about yourself?
    What does Bloomberg offer?
    Tell me about your understanding of the role?
    What might a Car company use the terminal for?
    Explain the Ukraine Crisis and what effect is this having?
    Relate your answer of the Ukraine Crisis to that of the car company, why might the terminal be useful to them in this instance.

2nd In-House Interview in London offices
    Talk me through your CV?
    What do you know about Bloomberg?
    Why Bloomberg and not a financial company?
    Where does Bloomberg's revenue come from?
    How else does Bloomberg earn revenue apart from the terminal?
    Scenario: Bloomberg are not flexible on price, and a investment bank client has said they are moving their custom to a cheaper platform. How would you deal with this and what would you like your outcome of the situation to be/ or rather what would you be happy with?
    Scenario: You are brought to a trading floor of a company with your manager. While your manager is preoccupied with the client you strike up a conversation with another person who is using FactSet (competitor). You don't know much about the type of purpose he is using for. Would you rather engage the potential client and go for a sale or would you leave to go back to the office and for all in tense and purposes lose that potential sale?
    How might someone dealing in currency hedge?
    Difference between Future and Forward?
    What are such things as Forward known as in the financial world? (fyi Over The Counter Products)

3rd Interview - Waiting to see if i get called back

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!