Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
148 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Straight forward. A few days after I applied online, I got an email to set up a 1st interview with HR. That interview was 10 minutes and basic "why bloomberg?" "why looking to leave current position?". He said someone would follow up for the next round. Next day got an email to set that up. There were probably 50 of us there, we split up and some had a building tour while the others interviewed with 1 sales person and 1 analytics. Mostly fit/behavioral. Then came back a week later to shadow someone on the help desk and do an hour interview with someone in senior management. Offered the next day

Interview Question – Talk about impact Ukraine crisis has on economy
What are options?
Mostly fit/behavior

Negotiation Details – None

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through my university job page, got an email scheduling a phone interview a couple days later. Took an online test.

First round interview was on the phone, took 20-30 minutes, basic resume stuff, no difficult questions. Enthusiasm and a little bit of homework should be enough.

Second round 'super day', arrived at the 59th st office at 8 am. Office was incredible: massive, futuristic. Particularly impressive was the 6th floor where everyone at the office starts their day - goes along with their whole 'transparency' thing, which I thought was very cool. Also tons of free snacks there. Spent the hour shadowing other analysts with two other candidates for the position, most of the people there were straight out of college, super nice and helpful. One even gave me a good interview tip ("Bloomberg helps bring transparency to the market", enthusiasm). At 9am we were brought into interview rooms.

At 9am I was interviewed by two women, one with several years experience in sales and another with more experience but her title escapes me. The one with experience seemed nice (although it was at times difficult to understand her accent), the other was incredibly rude throughout the interview (picked her nose, bit her nails, stared into space often). I maintained a positive attitude, but the interview consisted mostly of me walking them through my resume, then asking them questions. Interview lasted only 40 minutes (others lasted an hour). Did not feel as if I was given a fair shot, especially when I compared my experience to others who were asked many questions.

Finally we were given a tour through the main space. Tour guide was super friendly and gave us a mini history of Bloomberg. Apparently "Uncle Mike" is around often. We even got to see where they tape the news. Very Cool.

At roughly 11 we got dropped off in the main lobby and were told to wait for an HR person to tell us what to do next. He arrived ~20 minutes later and brought each person over individually to tell us the next step. I was told to leave, and we would be contacted soon about next steps, I didn't stay for everyone, but everyone else that got brought over was instructed the same as me. This being a Friday, I expected a follow up the next Monday or Tuesday. No luck. Emailed the HR guy I was in contact with, but got an auto response about being on vacation. After about two weeks I received an email declining the position. The wait was brutal considering how badly I wanted the position. Wish they had followed up sooner.

Interview Question – Who are Bloomberg's competitors?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – 3 part - phone, speed dating style with 2 different representatives, and then last one with a manager. They are looking for very professional people for their customer service team.

Interview Question – A few tricky ones: Sell me your favorite app roleplay ( I suggest rehearsing this ahead of time), tell me 5 things happening in current events, and a few technical questions like what is and ETF? and difference between bonds, stocks, mutual funds and hedge funds.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's career website. I was contacted a few days later as to what time I would be able to talk for 30 minutes. It was fairly basic. Asked me about my past experience, what I did. I spoke to a guy and he seemed genuinely interested with what I said. The conversation didn't last long. I more or less knew by the end that I was moved on to the next round, which was the next week. I had to arrive at 7:45 am, and more or less than were 40 people there. We were segmented into 3 groups, with different schedules: interview, terminal tutorial, floor tour in different orders. The interview is 1 hour long but is segmented into two 30 minute interviews with different people: one in sales and the other in analytics. I had read on previous glassdoor interview reviews that they tell you around midday who should stay or leave; that is how you know if you move on to the next round. We were all surprised when they told us to all go home and that they would let us know in a few days if we would go on to the final round. The final round was an individual interview. I first shadowed an employee who had been there for 1 year. It lasted about half another. I later had another interview with a team leader. He asked more specific questions about my resume and on sales. Apparently we hit it off because I had another interview with a team leader in sales. This was harder. There are not many meeting rooms available, so it wasn't too personal. It was noisy, the light made me feel sleepy, and sometimes we got kicked out of the room because someone had it reserved. Also, the meeting rooms had clear windows so everyone can see inside. Could be a bit distracting. In the end, they told me they would let me know in 24-48 hours if I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what is something you wish you could have changed from your last job?   Answer Question
  • What is your favorite app right now? Try to sell me that app.   Answer Question
  • What do you want to get into in a few years?
    Why sales?
      Answer Question
  • How do you keep up with the news? How do you think that current event will affect Bloomberg in sales?
    What is something in the market that you are interested in?

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – the hiring process is long., lack of communication from HR. Interviewers seems disinterested, asked the same questions over and over. The job seems boring and basically it's a customers service job, not related to finance field. However, the office is nice and some employees are really friendly ( not all ,though).

Interview Question – nothing too unexpected   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Started with a very short 10min phone screening with HR, and quick online personality test.

Next round was an onsite interview at their NYC HQ, which included a terminal demonstration, tour of the building, and back to back interviews with two people from Sales & Analytics - 30min each. Standard questions - i.e. Why Bloomberg x100, why finance, basic behavioral questions, tell me recent news story, Bloomberg's competitors, etc.

Last round was a job shadow with a current analytics member (be sure to ask a lot of questions to show your interest) and a one-hour interview with two managers. Similar questions as the previous round + a sales role play for a phone app.

Interview Question – Sell me your favorite phone app.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – had a phone interview, and after 2 weeks was contacted for super day. the phone interview was really short and the interviewer talked most of the time so I wasn't sure

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Bloomberg instead of go into Banking?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – Apply by the website.
Was contacted by email for a first interview by phone with one person of the team. Questions about Bloomberg. Work situations ...
2nd interview with 2 managers for 1 hour. Same question that everybody (technical and sales, why bloomberg, play role ...).
Short process but don't really understood what they really wanted.

Interview Question – Questions about financial instruments and how they works. Position of Bloomberg on the market.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

Interview Details – Step 1: Personality Test: Gives you 60 character traits and you have to rank which ones are most like you, kind of like you, slightly like you, and then the same for not like you.
Step 2: Phone Interview: Simple questions about resume, why bloomberg, and the position. make sure you know about the position, and that it is about interfacing with clients/sales in addition to the finance aspect. They're trying to see if you're a good fit/that you really want Bloomberg
Step 3: In person: 1 hour tour of facilities, terminal demonstration, and then two 1 on 1 interviews. show your interest throughout. one on one is with someone from sales/ someone from analytics. Sales will ask you about sales experience/sales based questions, and analytics will ask you about the "why finance" side of things and some questions about motivations for the job.
Step 4: 2 on 1 with 2 managers in the analytics department. Much more difficult. Ask some critical thinking questions, are constantly on their phones trying to throw you off, and somewhat rude. Don't be phased by this; stay positive and polite and answer everything.

Interview Question – why bloomberg?
what's more important in sales? the client or the product?
what do you know about the position?
why finance?
what is one story you have been following in the markets?
what is the biggest misconception about you?
how many terminals does bloomberg have internally?
how would an airline company use the terminal?
sell me something (could be college, iphone app, pen, etc.)
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't try negotiating because it's a set program. if you're coming out of college, fantastic benefits.

Financial Sales and Analytics

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

Interview Details – started with a phone interview. Was asked the standard BBerg questions. Why Bloomberg? what do you like about our culture etc.

2 weeks later was brought into NY office. Did the standard shadowing of two differnt people working on the terminals. Then had the interview with 3 "Account Managers".

Did not ask anything overly difficult. Had a list of of very standard and marginally relevant interview questions. Like how many terminals are in the world?

Interview Question – How many bloomberg terminals are in the world?   View Answer

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!