Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

phone interview --> interview day (about 30 other candidates taking tour of office and doing two speed dating style interviews with other applicants in the room)--> shadowing of a Bloomberg employee who currently holds position and then meeting with two managers (one sales, one analytics)...mostly behavioral questions about what you've done and if you have previous sales experience. don't say you have interest in anything other than what you're applying for they'll hold it against you if you say you want to be at a big bank, hedge fund, etc.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online in October for the January 2015 Product Sales & Analytics position and received an invitation to do a phone interview several weeks later. Following the phone interview, I did not receive an invitation for the second round, in person interview until late November/early December. The second round was a "career day" feature of the company which included a tour, a Bloomberg terminal overview and two sequential interviews with current employees. Several weeks later I was invited back for a third round. This consisted of a 30 minute shadow opportunity of a person currently working in the role followed by a 2 v 1 group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Second round: Explain a difficult financial concept (to the interviewer) and pretend they had no experience with finance/economics.
      If you could only choose one, would you rather do sales or analytics?
      How do you handle sequential customers who are not interested in the product you are selling?

Answer Question

Financial Analytics and Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

I submitted my resume online and a recruiter reached out to me the next day with a generic email asking me to fill out the answers to 9 questions. I wrote back and they set a phone interview for 2 weeks later. The phone interview was easy and they set another interview two weeks later, and then another... now it's been yet another two weeks and I still haven't heard back from anyone. They just fell off the face of the earth after a 1.5 month process. The lack of professionalism is unbelievable and they don't value your time at all. Also, if you're an experienced hire, the interview is really not a good measure of how much you know because they ask you college level economics definitions. If you're a normal person then all that rubbish fell out the side of your head as soon as you graduated (which for me was 8 years ago.) They don't ask you any finance questions at all. They will ask you why bloomberg about 10 times with every interviewer. And they will harp on your reasons for wanting the job each and every time too because you're an experienced hire and this is basically a glorified help-desk role.

All in all, they are very disorganized, very unprofessional, very impersonal, and they don't give you a timeline on anything. I applied for an April opening and they didn't get the ball rolling until March. Mind you, I applied February 1st. They said they were considering me for July the last I spoke to them. I'm due for round 4 interview but with no contact in sight. When they make me the offer, I will be glad to decline it.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? Role play with an angry client. Role play with an Equity Viewer problem. Test your language (if you are multilingual they will ask you to explain your last job or something in that language). What is your approach to sales. What is the most difficult thing about the role play. Randomly chosen questions to define two economic terms (these are ridiculously random and out of econ or micro / macro 101 classes). Absolutely NO finance questions. Can you explain the role to us in detail (they want to make sure you know this is help desk without saying it is a "helpdesk" position because they still need to sound fancy.) It is a glorified call center but pitch it as something prestigious.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online ,during phone interview they asked general questions about the company,why I wanted job at Bloomberg, why finance etc.... waited for email...did not make it.
    Guess i wasn't enthusiastic enough about the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

I. Phone Interview

II. NYC HQ Interviews

a. Tour of office with (recent hire < 10 months at firm) representative:
          30 min shadowing of individual working the terminal (ask questions!)
          Display of the terminal features
          Full tour of office included the newsroom

b. Interview with two reps, one from sales and one from analytics

-- Break for Lunch --

c. Interview with manager from analytics department

d. Interview with executive

Overall the process and questions were exactly as reported by previous candidates postings here. I prepped by knowing my resume inside and out, reading the financial news, and compiling all the questions listed on this site. Because of my technical background they didn't ask me many financial questions. I discussed my news sources from and how I utilize that information.

The biggest advice I can give is to know what the job is, how your skills transfer, and speak to the opportunities a firm such as Bloomberg can provide long term. The firm invests in its employees with an excellent training program and they don't want to see that investment walk out the door to another firm.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? What are the skills necessary for this role? How are you suited for sales? What is more important, the client or the product? Sell me your favorite app. Who are Bloomberg's biggest competitors? How much does the terminal cost? How did you find out about the job? How did you deal with a difficult client? Have you ever used the terminal before? Describe what you think the job will entail? "Tell me about the most recent financial article you read"   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First Round - Phone Interview
    Very standard and friendly. I was asked to walk the interviewer through my resume and then answer why I want to work for Bloomberg. A week later I received an email inviting me to the HQ for an interview.

Second Round - In-house Interview
    The in-house interview consists of a demonstration of the terminal, 2, one on one interviews (30 mins each) and a tour of the headquarters. Again, the interview questions are pretty standard:

Tell me about yourself.
    Why finance?
    Why sales?
    Tell me about a time when you were bold.
    Sell me your favorite sport
    How does the terminal benefit oil companies?

Exactly one month later I got an email stating that I had one more interview in-house.

Third Round - Inhouse Interview
    This round is the final and toughest round so you better bring your A game. It consists of shadowing a current employee for half hour. So ask a lot of questions about what he/she is doing. Then two rounds of interviews. The first with 2 team leaders and the last with a manager. The interviews with the team leaders and managers are a mixture of standard fit questions but they can get very technical.They'll ask you questions like:

What's going in the markets?
    How do you think that affects Bloomberg?
    What would you do if you didn't have to worry about money?

Interview Questions
    • What do you look for in a company that is about to IPO?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, standard offer which is competitive and the benefits are good.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I was contacted by HR a couple days after I applied for a phone interview. Just basic questions. Then I was invited for a 2nd round interview in NY. Included tour of the building, shadowing an analyst, then interview.

Interview Questions
    • tell me something thats not on your resume, talk about a current even being covered in the news right now   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

Applied online. Was contacted a few weeks later to do a phone interview. HR seemed overwhelmed but finally we agreed on a time. Im pretty sure i got the phone interview because an alumnus put my resume through.
    Phone Interview was standard. A few questions on character traits and enthusiasm. And a few talking points based on experience delineated in the resume.
    Got an email about a week later, inviting me to the second round visit at 731 Lex in Manhattan. Depending on how many other candidates there are that day, youll be divided to shadow an analyst not much older than you and pretty much get an accurate feel for what the role entails - thats for 30 mins.
    The the face-to-face interview with 2 senior sales and analytics people. Know your story well, theyll ask you o repeat it in a few different ways many times. i dont think theyre trying to get you to trip up or catch you saying something you dont mean, but they want the genuine story. Overall you can take their questions and direct them in any way that you want. Call their attention to certain things that you want them to hear. Definitely rehearse your talking points! Make sure to have at least 30 mins worth of questions to ask them, because they will allocate about 30 mins for your questions. This is the key place to demonstrate interest in the position. Show enthusiasm, and tell them how passionate you are about helping people.
    Then you go for an hour tour of the building, where you are meant to ask questions almost constantly. i felt like i had to ask insightful questions almost regularly just to beat out the other guy that was on the tour with me.
    Then you meat up with the HR rep who set you up with the interview. She tells you that youll get an email about the next steps.
    We shall see...

Interview Questions
    • What do you think Bloomberg provides for the world? What are we selling?   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

I applied online and received an email for the phone interview after about a week. Phone interview went well. It was about 15 minutes, and my interviewer asked me questions like tell me about yourself, why bloomberg, why this position, strengths and weakness, etc. It was nothing unexpected.
    I again received an email in about a month for their office visit. Office visit went well too. I had two, one - one interviews, one with someone from Analytics and other from Sales. Questions were all relevant.

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

went through phone interview process.

was contacted a few days later asking me to come in for interviews and to see the offices.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview: Q. recent financial new that you are following in the markets? Whats the position? why sales? why finance?   View Answer