Bloomberg L.P.

Getting the Interview

110 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through online. Recruiting captain email me to schedule for a phone interview. The interview was about 40-45 minutes.

Interview Question – The interviewer was kept asking me why I applied for Bloomberg and why this position. He was not convinced my answer, so he kept asking me more specific reasons. Then, he asked me to give him my own analysis of my former employer's stock price.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online. An HR manager called me to scheudule a time for interview. The HR interview is very easy. You just need to introduce yourself and that's it. After the HR interveiw, I am then to interview with the sales manager.During the interview, it is basically based on why you choose Bloomberg and why this position.

Interview Question – Why choose this "inprofessional" position?
It is because I am another professional qualification holder.
  Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

Interview Details – The online application was very straightforward - CV, cover letter and just 2 simple questions. I received a phone interview shortly after sending in my application. The whole interview was very focused on your knowledge of Bloomberg and its culture (tip: check its share price on the day, they might ask!).
The first in-house interview was good, work shadowing was very relaxed and the interview with both senior head of sales was enjoyable. I messed up on options and bonds when they asked me though, so my lack of financial knowledge was the reason why I lost it.

Interview Question – How would Tesco use Bloomberg? How would Tesco use hedge funds? Why and how would they use futures?   Answer Question

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2013.

Interview Details – introduce yourself, what do you know about bloomberg and this post?, what characteristics do you think are important for this job, any example on you? Talk about 3 recent news in Cantonese, English and Mandarin.

Interview Question – I mentioned something about commission-based and the interviewer keep asking me on this point.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, a few days later was invited to an in-person interview at their office in São Paulo. The interview was entirely in Portuguese since I am a native English speaker. It was with two guys who were nice and easy to get along with. After than I got an invitation to the final interview, which a Skype interview with the head of Analytics for the Americas. She is based in New York. The interview lasted an hour. She was not as nice as the Brazilian guys, but it wasn't that bad. She told me that I would have an answer in the next 1-2 weeks.

Now here comes the bad part. It took them 9 weeks to get back to me with an answer, and when they did it was just a standard "no reply" email saying that I wasn't going to be offered the position. 9 weeks.

Interview Question – What are 3 other companies whose company cultures you admire and why?   Answer Question

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview: First part - self intro, why bloomberg, why sales team, English/Mandarin/Cantonese to talk about 3 financial news; Second part - Give a random pitch, Sell the HR any product (2 sides conversation)

Interview Question – Random pitch and sell a product   Answer Question

Financial Analytics and Sales Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and had phone interview 2 days later. After the 1st round, it took them more than a month to get back to me for the 2nd round. During the period I emailed the HR twice and phoned her once - she didn't reply to any of the emails and wasn't there when I called. So I wrote a slightly angry email to global recruiting and she got back to me the following Sunday asking for my availabilities for the following week. After I gave her my availabilities she gave me two options to which I confirmed. However the following day another correspondent claimed the time was no longer available and had to change again.

So for the 2nd round of interview it was via Jabber and it was 95% technical. The questions themselves were relatively straightforward however the attitude of the interviewers were very intimidating and slightly arrogant. They were quite pushy and the questions weren't really clear. They were also 15mins late. To be fair, it could be their strategy to try to psych the candidates out.

I'm currently waiting for results.

All in all, the experience was quite negative and I'm quite disappointed with the way it was carried out.

Interview Question – What's your 5 year plan. What's your 10 year plan. What derivatives you could use to trade FI.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Interview Details – Questions I was asked at the first round interview (on the phone):
-why Bloomberg
-which are Bloomberg's competitors
-what do you know about the role
-what is the difference between futures and forwards - which is safer
-how would you measure the liquidity of a stock
-why is it harder to measure the liquidity of a bond
-what was the closing price of Bloomberg stock today

Depending whether you are interviewing for and internship or a full time position, if you are successful at the first round interview on the phone, you are invited to a second round in the office,or to a conference call if you are not in London and you apply for full time.

in the office you will take a tour, meet several people from the FSA team, shadow some of the employees in their daily routine and take two 2:1 interviews.

in the conference call.. I don't know, I have it tomorrow!
what matters is not giving up, if you want to work there!

Interview Question – how would you sell a Bloomberg terminal in a developing country where even some of the basic infrastructures are lucking.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Applied through my school's network. About two weeks later I received an email saying I was selected for a phone interview. My original scheduled time for my phone interview I was not contacted. The HR contact told me she had to leave early but she did not notify me before hand. The next day I had my phone interview and it was a generic 15 minute personality interview. I was then contacted through my school that I had an on campus interview. It was a 2:1 interview where I was asked about my sales experience and my financial knowledge. Also gave me a situational question where I was asked which client I would help first and why.

Interview Question – Describe Fed Tapering and the current government shut down to a seven year old   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details – Application form- telephone interview- 1h shadowing and 1h panel interview- final interview
Telephone interview: straight forward. Why bloomberg?, values?, competitors?
Panel interview: was a bit trickier. In general they want you to develop almost everything you touch on. This enables you to direct the conversation. So know your stuff and background. I was asked about derivatives, previous experience and why I do not want to work there, what bloomberg differentiates from competition, they will also test your language skills, who are bloomberg customers, what is bloomberg legal, why would an investment bank buy terminals, and a couple other things. Overall the bloomberg interview was one of the more difficult ones in my view. If you make sure you mention things you really know you will be able to easily impress them because they follow your lead.

Interview Question – Sell bloomberg terminals to a swiss start up who does not agree on fees and contract duration.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics interview questions and advice. All 110 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.