Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.1

164 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The whole process lasted for three weeks approximately, it was composed of 5 rounds:

1) Online Application: Pretty Straightforward, submit CV + Cover Letter and asnwer a couple of basic questions.
2) Phone Interview: You would receive an e-mail asking if you were available at a certain date, after confirming the appointment would receive a phone call from a Team Leader of the analytics team. The interview will start with introduction, then some basic questions Why Bloomberg? Why do you feel you are a good match? Bloomberg Products? Afterwards it would glance some financial concepts, and your understanding of the range of the product, how clients benefit from it. After we hung up I received an e-mail asking me for a face to face interview.
3) First Face to face: In this stage you would be in an interview with two team leaders,one from sales and the other from analytics, they would drill a little bit harder on your knowledge of the company, besides the sames questions stated above, they would get on specifics like current news. Afterwards they'll test you on financial knowledge to see your proficiency; in my case it was some derivatives knowledge but I guess it could be anything, finally some sales scenario asking you to sale something you like, this one was tricky because they would be resilient into not buying, you have to be creative into solving any excuses the manager gives you. After the interview next day received e-mail inviting to the next round.
4) Second Face to face: On this stage, you would have an interview again one representative of each department, this time of a more senior level. The interview was quite random, and it drifted from questions around my cv, difficult financial questions, sales expertise, and personality fit. It was a long interview. It would be pointless to state questions since most were personally crafted. Again you receive an e-mail asking an invite to the next round on the next day.
5) Final face to face: This time you would have an interview with one higher manager, for me it was from the analytics side. In my particular experience, this stage was a really frustrating experience, the interviewer came in, after introducing herself asked me 2/3 questions on my CV, and said that she didn't have any more questions. Some days after, received an e-mail thanking me for my time, but they weren't going to extend me an offer. I have rewinded my interview several times to try to understand where I failed, or what did I say that resulted in such a short dismissal by the Manager, and still can't figure it out. Maybe it is out of frustration, but I felt she didn't took the time to know me, she dismissed me based on what she concluded by looking at my CV, at this stage seems out of place and feel it is disrispectful.
I won't give a negative opinion since the overall process and most of the people I talked with were extremely nice, however won't give a positive neither because my last interview experience.

Interview Questions
  • How would you convince a client who doesn't want to buy the product because he feels is overpriced compared to our competitors. (Don't mention quality as the client is happy with competitor quality).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

3 interviews

Initial phone interview
    2 one-on-one interviews- 30 min
    1 two-on-one interviews

HR was very disorganized. I initially was suppose to have the final interview the friday I had the 2 one-on-ones, but they completely ignored it and scheduled 3 weeks later during finals week. I had 2 40 min presentations and 2 finals. They really screwed me. I absolutely killed the first 2 interviews, I was not prepared for the final. My advice: Know about the company and the position well, and the difference between buy and sell side.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Was very efficient. The phone interview was very rushed though. The 1st in house interview is all i made it to. It was great to go in a and see the office, but i had a shadowing for the first half an hour. They were very unhelpful and didn't really give me an indepth answers to questions i had.

Interview Questions
    • Analytical question about prioritising specific clients software and bloomberg terminal issues.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described.
    In-house was structured in such a way that no question was neutral. (Ie. Not "why we should hire you", but rather "Honestly, from your Cv I can't see why should we hire you").
    I guess they want to see how you cope with stress.

Most questions are listed already, some others came from my cv and answers, so it's rather pointless to list them, but beware of what you say, if you lie it might fire back.

Interview Questions
    • Why would Tesco use our terminal? Who would you target there if you were to try and sell one?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

They have very inefficient and disorganised recruitment process lol I applied in August and heard nothing until mid-September. Then I got invited to a telephone interview, nothing for 2 weeks after that (so thought i had failed) then got invited for an in-house interview. Still waiting to hear back from them. They said there would be 2 more interviews, so telephone + 3 interviews..quite hectic.

1. Telephone interview
    Very quick, manager of a department, seemed very busy and uninterested in what I say.
    - Do you have any sales experience, etc.

2. In house-interview
    -Why financial services and not banking
    -what other firms have you applied to
    - any customer service experience
    - rate your financial knowledge in 1-10 (don't say 10, they just want this for follow-up questions)
    - what is a market cap
    - what is credit default swap
    - what's ur understanding of this role

The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • scenario questions (if you had this client acting this way and another acting this way, what would you do and in which order?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Phone Interview and invited a day later to the final round. Phone interview was pretty easy, asking company question and general world news. The face to face was a lot more difficult, question were strange and answer often took a part

Interview Questions
    • How to explain to a colleague that you have had the same job role for 7 years and not feel undervalued   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Three rounds of interview: the first one was a phone interview, the second one was a panel interview, and the third one was an one-to-one. In general, the interview process was quite quick, I knew my interview result within 2 days. Interviewers were quite friendly. The interviews focused a lot on asking about my cv.

Interview Questions
    • Why you chose to study your current course, but not maths? Since you said you like to calculate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online and it took 3 days for HR to contact me to set up a telephone interview.
    The telephone interview lasted 15 minutes and surprisingly was not from HR but a manager within the sales department. I had not prepare for this.
    The questions the interviewer asked were mainly about my previous experiences, why Bloomberg, why sales ... general questions.
    The next step is a more deep 1-hour F2F interview but I was not short-listed anyway (received a reply back in one business day instead of 3 business days).

Interview Questions
    • To which type of companies would you sell Bloomberg terminals to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied through Bloomberg website - Received email correspondence to book me in for a telephonic interview - 15 min interview discussing about walk through CV, what do you know about Bloomberg and role - was invited for a face to face interview at Bloomberg London

Interview Questions
    • Technical Questions related to Fixed Income & Derivatives   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Went through an employee referral scheme - phone interview within 2 days, followed by an interview at the offices the following week. Very efficient process. The interview was with two employees and it lasted just over an hour. They asked motivation questions, why Bloomberg and not an investment bank? There was also a sales scenario with regards to the Bloomberg Terminal.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell a terminal to an insurance underwriter?   Answer Question