Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

3.1

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

I got the first round interview quite quickly, like 3-4 days after application. 6 people sit in the conference room and started by a self intro. The interviewer wants to know something interetsing about urself. I think he didnt intereted in ur normal job except it is very interesting and special. Then he would let u raise any question. About the role and bloomberg.

The fist task is a group diacussion and presentation on how to invest HK$80m. The conclusion should come up with 1 financial news and 1 non-financial news.

The second task is to the ranking exercise of The Fishy Tale. First we rank and then shared our view and agreed with a group ranking.Then, we divided into 2 group for a debate on the ranking we agreed. Keep thinking and listening to arguements!

We performed badly and I guess the whole group would fail. But some guys with good or native English may be passed to sec round.

Interview Questions
  • How to invest with hkd80m? Supported with financial and nonfinancial news.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Online Application
    Phone Interview - just basic knowledge of the company and personal questions
    Final Interview - Again some personal questions and then both situational and technical. Not so hard and easy to manage. I know exactly where I failed to answer correctly and hence got no job offer.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Three rounds of interview. First round rather short and standard questions with a sales team member (motivation, why are you qualified, why financial products). Feedback was quick and second round via Skype two weeks later with two managers. Again, why Bloomberg, why Financial Products, why do you think you´re qualified, basic financial questions. In addition they asked me to slove problems (three clients want a call, you can only choose one, which one do you choose? Feedback the next day and third round in London two weeks later. It started with half an hour of shadowing (you follow a team member and can ask him whatever you want to know while he gives you an idea of what the job looks like. Next was one hour of interview with two managers. Again the standard motivational questions. In addition deeper and more difficult financial questions and problem solving questions.

All in all a good and quick interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? Why Financial Products? Why Sales? What are Bonds/Options/Swaps/Futures? Which other jobs do you apply for Why is Bloomberg your first choice?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online ,during phone interview they asked general questions about the company,why I wanted job at Bloomberg, why finance etc.... waited for email...did not make it.
    Guess i wasn't enthusiastic enough about the job.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview then face to face. Positive experience and team was really kind and helpful. The interviewer was really pleasant, friendly and knew her stuff. When she realised I had misunderstood a question she rephrased it and let me re-answer which was helpful. They said the turnaround would be 1-2 days and got back to me within 4 hours to let me know I'd passed.

Interview Questions
    • Company info, motivational, wider market/finance knowledge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Sent an application at the beginning of december, received an invitation for a phone interview scheduled for mid-January.
    The phone interview was quite easy, most of the questions were related to your motivations to apply to Bloomberg, plus a lot of general questions on my background:
    - why financial product and sales? who are bloomberg competitors? why are you applying to bloomberg...

One day later I received an invitation for an in-house interview.

In-house interview: my interview was scheduled for 8.30 a.m. Be there on time, at first I was invited to make my way upstairs where I would have met an employee. I was shadowing an employee in the analytics department, she was very kind and showed me how the tickets worked and the way the reply to it. From my understanding the analytics job is not any more than any helpdesk, she received some queries from clients going from "could you please check that the data in the terminal are correct" to "where can I find data on XYZ stock". Overall, she told me that in an average day, they would receive approximately 20-25 queries. Then, the moment of the interview came. The interviewers were managers of analytics and sales, they took me to a quite room for a 2:1 interview. The manager from the analytics department started asking me some general questions, unfortunately I mentioned that I would rather work in financial services than in investment banking. From that moment, my interview went wrong. The interview from the analytics department bombarded me with questions on investment banking. Needless to say, I wasn't prepared to answer such questions and I provided weak answers to that. Questions went from: how many terminals are there in your country? to what are the main areas of operations of an investment bank? what are an investment bank main operations? After my bad performance on investment banks I knew that I would have not been offered a job, anyway I tried to do my best to finish the interview in a good way. The analytics manager asked me other questions of how I would convince a SME to buy the terminal. After this part , I was interviewed by the second manager, who asked me more about the current developments in global affairs. Then, a couple of questions on financial calculus, such as what would happen to the current price of a bond if the interest rate went down.
    Couple of advices for people being interviewed: know intimately why you would want to work for bloomberg and not for an investment bank. Know bloomberg. And last, but not least, be prepared to be questioned in any case. The interviewers will never be satisfied with your answers. However, try to be confident enough to motivate your choices, there is no wrong answer, it depends on the motivation you give.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

Phone interview did not get through the second stage. The interview process is quite frustrating. Even though I taught I did great but it still was not enough for the interviewer

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about bloomberg? why this position? Whay is equity? What is bond? Why sales and analytics? What is your understanding of this role?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied to Bloomberg Hong Kong for the Financial Sale and Analytics post -

Online application was quite simple, just basic personal info. and attached CV + Cover Letter.

Then haven't heard anything for a good 2 months until notifying me that they would like to arrange a phone interview. The interview was with someone from the analytics team and he asked questions like:

- Self introduction
    - Why Bloomberg and why Hong Kong?
    - What do you know about the role?
    - Why Sales and Analytics?
    - What is leadership?
    - Give me an example of you using leadership to lead a team to success.

All in all it was quite simple and straightforward. HR contacted me again the next day to arrange 2nd round interview, using a software called Jabber to hold an online interview (because I study in the UK).

2nd round interview (online) was with 2 ladies who both have experience in analytics, one specialised in Fixed Income. This time the questions were much hard and they really drilled down on my answers -

1. Self Introduction

2. Why Bloomberg - I said because I love the diversity and then they said but that's a pretty normal thing in all MNCs, how does Bloomberg differentiate itself from others? So I replied because Bloomberg's diversity breeds innovation, which makes Bloomberg so successful today. Then they asked me for a recent example of Bloomberg's staff being innovative and made significant change - I basically waffled my way through it because I honestly had no idea.

Therefore word of advise here is to BE PREPARED!

3. Tell me what is you biggest achievement so far

4, Tell me one piece of recent financial news - I told them about the SCB's decision to unpeg the Franc from the Euro, causing the dramatic appreciation and its effect. Then she carried on and asked me if I have noticed the change in the Denmark currency too…. which I could not answer properly because it was hardly reported in the news.

5, Role Play - imagine you are the president of a society at your university, and I am a first year, how will you sell your membership to me? - I honestly thought it was a bit silly because people don't 'sell' membership at university… so I was slightly frustrated that I couldn't fully demonstrate my selling skills.

Word of advise would be: Know you stuff, be genuinely interested in finance - otherwise don't apply.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

Applied online. Was contacted a few weeks later to do a phone interview. HR seemed overwhelmed but finally we agreed on a time. Im pretty sure i got the phone interview because an alumnus put my resume through.
    Phone Interview was standard. A few questions on character traits and enthusiasm. And a few talking points based on experience delineated in the resume.
    Got an email about a week later, inviting me to the second round visit at 731 Lex in Manhattan. Depending on how many other candidates there are that day, youll be divided to shadow an analyst not much older than you and pretty much get an accurate feel for what the role entails - thats for 30 mins.
    The the face-to-face interview with 2 senior sales and analytics people. Know your story well, theyll ask you o repeat it in a few different ways many times. i dont think theyre trying to get you to trip up or catch you saying something you dont mean, but they want the genuine story. Overall you can take their questions and direct them in any way that you want. Call their attention to certain things that you want them to hear. Definitely rehearse your talking points! Make sure to have at least 30 mins worth of questions to ask them, because they will allocate about 30 mins for your questions. This is the key place to demonstrate interest in the position. Show enthusiasm, and tell them how passionate you are about helping people.
    Then you go for an hour tour of the building, where you are meant to ask questions almost constantly. i felt like i had to ask insightful questions almost regularly just to beat out the other guy that was on the tour with me.
    Then you meat up with the HR rep who set you up with the interview. She tells you that youll get an email about the next steps.
    We shall see...

Interview Questions
    • What do you think Bloomberg provides for the world? What are we selling?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Sent application at the beginning of december, recieved invitation for phone interview about one month later.
    Phone interview was quite normal, mostly motivational, background and roleplay questions:
    Why financial products and sales? Why not banking? Why exactly this role? Who are bloomberg's competitors? What's the difference between Bloomberg Tradebook and Terminal? What's Bloomberg Vault? What's Bloomberg Government? How many companies are tracked by Bloomberg Terminal (24.000)? Then followed some questiones about me and my studies (i study finance). What's the most common way companies raise capitals? What's the QE? How would you hedge from risks in finance? Than situational kind of questions: How would you sell Coca Cola the terminal? Why would it use a Terminal? Imagine i am JPMorgan and i wanna decrease the number of terminals because Eikon is cheaper, how would you convince me to not do it? Imagine i am an angry customer calling you because I can't find UBS ticker, but you don't have info about me. How would you act?

After two days I received a mail stating I would have been invited to the in-house interview. IMPORTANT: in case you receive this mail, don't feel like you have the job. Almost everybody passes the phone interview. So, it's not indicative whether you nailed it or not.

In house interview: First. arrive on time.. Second, try to get to know people when you get in, but don't stay too far away from where they ask you to wait your interviewers. Be kind, friendly, self confident, and act like a normal person. In the beginning i had to shadow an employee in the analytics office. This people is quite funny and they take it so easy when working. They receive "tickets" (the chat questions from terminal users) and answer right on time. Very nice job by the way. The employee was actually glad to see how many things i knew of the terminal even thought i never used one. Then it came the moment. The interviewers (managers for analytics and sales teams) took me to a room for a 2:1 interview. They started asking: Introduce yourself in one minute; tell me 5 skills you think you built from your past experience; Try to sell me the product you sold in your previous job (yes, it's a call simulation); Imagine i'm a millionaire and i want to use Eikon cause it costs less. Sell me the terminal (other situational question. Remember to leverage on the price-quality standard, but sell your bullets slowly and at the right moment); Who mainly uses the Terminal and why? (than, interview turned from my own language to english) What problems do you think Bloomberg is facing at the moment? (IM messaging replications, Federated chat, Data governance, catch-up from other companies, do your own intelligent search); Why exactly Bloomberg? Why not Banking? What do you think about the actual financial market situation? Where would you invest now? What's the difference between Options and Futures? What is the current American economic situation? What would you look at if you'd invest in bonds? (did not really get what he ment for "look at" because i summed up all Bonds decision theory but he didn't seem convinced...however, might have been my fault). Then the interview got easier, talking about other products of Bloomberg and nothing more. I also asked a few questions at the end. However, I was kinda sure I made it. I was self confident, did a very good research, roleplayed a lot and felt so prepared about anything. Everything worked fine for me. Until the day after, when I received a mail stating "you're no long being considered". Ok. Got it. I did some self-questioning about what possibly went wrong, and here i come to the end of this good (yes, it was positive after all) experience with a few tricks: Don't smile too much. Listen to yourself. Listen to them. Come straight to the point. Be self confident but not too much. Don't bombard them with info you think might be a good mark for you, because they're gonna go deeper (and remember we have limited info about it). Be the best, and remember that you have to sell yourself as a good investment for them. Don't ask about possibility for entering other roles (yes, it might be possible, but i asked if Sales is the only possibility after analytics, and it was the footstep to my doom).

Finally. Don't act too friendly. Be yourself. Or, well, not too much yourself, but the "you" that you think Bloomberg wants. Good luck everybody. I'll try again in July (let 6 months pass, otherwise they won't consider your cv) ;)