Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

166 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Applied online, they got back to me the next day arranging a phone interview. The phone interview included quite general questions: why Bloomberg, why this position, what makes Bloomberg different, who are the main competitors, what is the Bloomberg's range of products. The only more or less unexpected question was how to sell a Bloomberg terminal to a non-financial company.

Interview Questions
  • How would you sell a Bloomberg terminal to a non-financial firm, e.g. BMW   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

I was contacted by a recruitment consultant about the role.

The process was: Phone interview
    First round: 30 mins shadowing then 2:1 interview with team leaders - one from Sales, one from Analytics
    Second round: 2:1 interview with managers - one from Sales, one from Analytics
    Final round: Global head of Analytics

Phone interview - Walk through CV. Why are you applying for BBG? Why not investment banking? (I did a placement year at an investment bank) Why financial data company? What did you do during your placement year? What makes BBG different to competitors? Who are the main competitors? What do you understand from the role? What experience do you have in customer service? Why do all employees need to be in touch with financial markets?
    This was very short... Around 10 mins in total and I received a reply around 5-10 mins after the interview had finished.

First round - 30 mins shadowing on Analytics desk the interview with team leaders from Sales & Analytics
    Run through CV in more detail. Where else applied? (Drilled into this a lot) Why applied here vs consulting if you want a client facing role? What do you understand from the role? What will keep you motivated throughout your time in Analytics? What motivates you? What can you bring to the job? What is a news story that has interested you recently (but not Russia or Scottish Independence)?
    Role based questions: If you are on the Analytics desk and you receive queries from a trader, sales person and CEO at the same time, how do you deal with this? Where have you shown skills for Analytics? If you are in the Sales team and a client is butting back, how would you minimise losses to BBG against other competitors? How increase sales to a client who used BBG terminal and Factset (competitor)?
    Finance questions: If you are a company raising money, what are the pros and cons of using debt vs equity? What financial products to you have experience?
    This interview lasted for about one hour and received a reply the day after the interview.

Second round - 2:1 interview with managers from Sales and Analytics
    3 qualities which are required for a good sales person. How have you shown these qualities in the past? How applied/learnt about these qualities? What did you learn from your placement year? Why do you not want to work there (in an investment bank)? What in particular did you not enjoy about working there? What is an interesting news story that you have read recently? What has been done right/wrong in the past year in the markets? Which sector of our clients would be hit by a 'yes' vote in the Scottish referendum? Would our Scotland sales rep. at BBG be worried about the referendum vote? 3 qualities represented in Analytics. How portrayed these in the past?
    Sell me this pencil (giving some context of selling stationary to BBG Procurement department). Then feedback on this.
    How can BBG make their work more personalised over Analytics help? How can we make clients feel more valued? What cues could BBG pick up at a trader's desk if just popping in to upgrade software. Why would customers of clients trade on BGG instead of an in-house product? Why might prices be better over BBG? Why might traders want to use BBG instead of in-house product? What does the BBG terminal do? How are the US markets doing? What is the NYSE? Which market is this?
    How would you get to know a client? What process have you used in the past? How would you apply this to BBG Sales? What is a good Sales approach? What makes you stand out from other applicants?
    What did you enjoy the least about your previous customer service role? But, this is similar to the BBG role?
    This interview was around an hour long and I received a reply back a few hours after this interview.

Final interview - 1:1 video conference with Global Head of Analytics
    Quick run down of CV. Why BBG? Are you applying to investment banks? Where else applying? Where do you see yourself progressing in this role? Further questions about motivation to do some of my previous activities/skills. Any questions?
    This interview lasted for about 15 mins, including questions from me... I received a response after a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • What has been done right/wrong in the past year in the markets?
      Why would customers of clients trade on BGG instead of an in-house product?
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

The whole process lasted for three weeks approximately, it was composed of 5 rounds:

1) Online Application: Pretty Straightforward, submit CV + Cover Letter and asnwer a couple of basic questions.
    2) Phone Interview: You would receive an e-mail asking if you were available at a certain date, after confirming the appointment would receive a phone call from a Team Leader of the analytics team. The interview will start with introduction, then some basic questions Why Bloomberg? Why do you feel you are a good match? Bloomberg Products? Afterwards it would glance some financial concepts, and your understanding of the range of the product, how clients benefit from it. After we hung up I received an e-mail asking me for a face to face interview.
    3) First Face to face: In this stage you would be in an interview with two team leaders,one from sales and the other from analytics, they would drill a little bit harder on your knowledge of the company, besides the sames questions stated above, they would get on specifics like current news. Afterwards they'll test you on financial knowledge to see your proficiency; in my case it was some derivatives knowledge but I guess it could be anything, finally some sales scenario asking you to sale something you like, this one was tricky because they would be resilient into not buying, you have to be creative into solving any excuses the manager gives you. After the interview next day received e-mail inviting to the next round.
    4) Second Face to face: On this stage, you would have an interview again one representative of each department, this time of a more senior level. The interview was quite random, and it drifted from questions around my cv, difficult financial questions, sales expertise, and personality fit. It was a long interview. It would be pointless to state questions since most were personally crafted. Again you receive an e-mail asking an invite to the next round on the next day.
    5) Final face to face: This time you would have an interview with one higher manager, for me it was from the analytics side. In my particular experience, this stage was a really frustrating experience, the interviewer came in, after introducing herself asked me 2/3 questions on my CV, and said that she didn't have any more questions. Some days after, received an e-mail thanking me for my time, but they weren't going to extend me an offer. I have rewinded my interview several times to try to understand where I failed, or what did I say that resulted in such a short dismissal by the Manager, and still can't figure it out. Maybe it is out of frustration, but I felt she didn't took the time to know me, she dismissed me based on what she concluded by looking at my CV, at this stage seems out of place and feel it is disrispectful.
    I won't give a negative opinion since the overall process and most of the people I talked with were extremely nice, however won't give a positive neither because my last interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a client who doesn't want to buy the product because he feels is overpriced compared to our competitors. (Don't mention quality as the client is happy with competitor quality).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

3 interviews

Initial phone interview
    2 one-on-one interviews- 30 min
    1 two-on-one interviews

HR was very disorganized. I initially was suppose to have the final interview the friday I had the 2 one-on-ones, but they completely ignored it and scheduled 3 weeks later during finals week. I had 2 40 min presentations and 2 finals. They really screwed me. I absolutely killed the first 2 interviews, I was not prepared for the final. My advice: Know about the company and the position well, and the difference between buy and sell side.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Was very efficient. The phone interview was very rushed though. The 1st in house interview is all i made it to. It was great to go in a and see the office, but i had a shadowing for the first half an hour. They were very unhelpful and didn't really give me an indepth answers to questions i had.

Interview Questions
    • Analytical question about prioritising specific clients software and bloomberg terminal issues.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview was quite basic, as already described.
    In-house was structured in such a way that no question was neutral. (Ie. Not "why we should hire you", but rather "Honestly, from your Cv I can't see why should we hire you").
    I guess they want to see how you cope with stress.

Most questions are listed already, some others came from my cv and answers, so it's rather pointless to list them, but beware of what you say, if you lie it might fire back.

Interview Questions
    • Why would Tesco use our terminal? Who would you target there if you were to try and sell one?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

They have very inefficient and disorganised recruitment process lol I applied in August and heard nothing until mid-September. Then I got invited to a telephone interview, nothing for 2 weeks after that (so thought i had failed) then got invited for an in-house interview. Still waiting to hear back from them. They said there would be 2 more interviews, so telephone + 3 interviews..quite hectic.

1. Telephone interview
    Very quick, manager of a department, seemed very busy and uninterested in what I say.
    - Do you have any sales experience, etc.

2. In house-interview
    -Why financial services and not banking
    -what other firms have you applied to
    - any customer service experience
    - rate your financial knowledge in 1-10 (don't say 10, they just want this for follow-up questions)
    - what is a market cap
    - what is credit default swap
    - what's ur understanding of this role

The interviewers were very friendly and made me feel relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • scenario questions (if you had this client acting this way and another acting this way, what would you do and in which order?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Phone Interview and invited a day later to the final round. Phone interview was pretty easy, asking company question and general world news. The face to face was a lot more difficult, question were strange and answer often took a part

Interview Questions
    • How to explain to a colleague that you have had the same job role for 7 years and not feel undervalued   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Three rounds of interview: the first one was a phone interview, the second one was a panel interview, and the third one was an one-to-one. In general, the interview process was quite quick, I knew my interview result within 2 days. Interviewers were quite friendly. The interviews focused a lot on asking about my cv.

Interview Questions
    • Why you chose to study your current course, but not maths? Since you said you like to calculate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online and it took 3 days for HR to contact me to set up a telephone interview.
    The telephone interview lasted 15 minutes and surprisingly was not from HR but a manager within the sales department. I had not prepare for this.
    The questions the interviewer asked were mainly about my previous experiences, why Bloomberg, why sales ... general questions.
    The next step is a more deep 1-hour F2F interview but I was not short-listed anyway (received a reply back in one business day instead of 3 business days).

Interview Questions
    • To which type of companies would you sell Bloomberg terminals to?   Answer Question