Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014

3.1

150 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Applied online in early August 2014 and received email 3 days later from HR to get more info from me and for scheduling interview. There's a question in the email "From Bloomberg's perspective what is the Analytics (client services) role", basically they want to screen out candidates who don't understand the role and job duty. Received interview invitation 4 days later.

Group interview, same as what is described in the previous sharing on Glassdoor. Strongly recommend to do some research on the interview process. Lasted for ~2hrs.
Self intro about yourself, company background introduction with simple demonstration of how to the terminal. Around 15 ppl in my session, divided into 4 group, random seating by yourself.
1. Character ranking, read a simple fairy tale story and rank the characters with 'the most favorable'. Rank it individually first and come up a ranking within a group.
2. How would you invest 1M ? support with news. my group talked about e-commerce, bonds, interviewer asked questions.
3. Debate with another group, based on the ranking in part 1. 30s opening statement by each group, then each group member got a chance to say sth for 30s, 30s ending by each group.
Since I did research so the interview process and questions are expected. Nothing surprise.
Shortlisted candidates will receive calls on the following day. Received 2nd interview invitation.

2nd interview: 1on1 with team leader, standard question about the understanding of the role, questions about your CV and behavioural question.

Interview Questions
  • How to invest 1M, test your understanding of financial   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First round interview was a group interview. The first part starts off with self introduction, where each person has to talk about their background. The team leader then gave a presentation about what the role does and also company information. Then the groups were asked to discuss about how to invest $1M and to link it with a piece of news. After that, the groups had to read a story and rank the characters of the story individually and as a group. The last task is to debate with another group about the ranking of the characters with reasons.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Process in 3 stages: 1. telephone interview, 2. face2face (or video conference) and a 3rd and final face2face interview.

Why finance and why Bloomberg (I studied marketing so it was sort of hard to convince them why I want to go into finance now)? What can Bloomberg give you what other companies cannot give you? Sell a Samsung phone to an iPhone owner and lover. Mention 3 arguments why Bloomberg should take you on.

Telephone interview:
    It is rather short and they are bombarding you with questions just like why Bloomberg, why finance, what does Bloomberg do, who are our competitors, why would a company use a Bloomberg terminal, give an overview over the Ukraine crisis.

1. F2F interview:
    Similar questions as telephone interview, digging a bit deeper. They really want to know why you want to work for them and what your sales and people skills are. If you don't have a finance background be honest and tell them you're not an expert but you are keen to learn and be prepared to answer why you want to learn more about finance! They also ask you about different scenarios at the help desk and how you would handle them.

I am still waiting to hear back from them whether I made it to the 3rd stage or not!

Interview Questions
    • Why finance now and not marketing or communications (which are my degrees)?
      What does Bloomberg give you that another company couldn't give you?
      What other jobs did you apply for so far?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Applied online for a French-speaking position. Process took about a month. Went through 2 steps so far: Phone interview with expectable questions (why Bloomberg? Why not investment Banking?), 1 Video-conference (with prior 30 minutes shadowing) in NY and another one still ahead!
    The people I interacted with so far were extremely nice and pleasant to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • If you get inquiries from a trader, a sell-side analyst and a CEO at the same time. How would prioritize and why?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied the job on line and received reply next day. The first round is group interview. About one hour company background introduction was given before the group discussion. The group discussion have two sections with 30 min of each. One section is characters ranking of a story. Another is to provide investment advice. You should try to show your professional background and communication skills in limited time.
    The candidate of next round will be noted immediately after the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • To provide investment advice with latest financial news is difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Straight forward. A few days after I applied online, I got an email to set up a 1st interview with HR. That interview was 10 minutes and basic "why bloomberg?" "why looking to leave current position?". He said someone would follow up for the next round. Next day got an email to set that up. There were probably 50 of us there, we split up and some had a building tour while the others interviewed with 1 sales person and 1 analytics. Mostly fit/behavioral. Then came back a week later to shadow someone on the help desk and do an hour interview with someone in senior management. Offered the next day

Interview Questions
    • Talk about impact Ukraine crisis has on economy
      What are options?
      Mostly fit/behavior
        Answer Question
    None

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

3 part - phone, speed dating style with 2 different representatives, and then last one with a manager. They are looking for very professional people for their customer service team.

Interview Questions
    • A few tricky ones: Sell me your favorite app roleplay ( I suggest rehearsing this ahead of time), tell me 5 things happening in current events, and a few technical questions like what is and ETF? and difference between bonds, stocks, mutual funds and hedge funds.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

the hiring process is long., lack of communication from HR. Interviewers seems disinterested, asked the same questions over and over. The job seems boring and basically it's a customers service job, not related to finance field. However, the office is nice and some employees are really friendly ( not all ,though).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Online application, phone interview, video conference interview as I was not in London at that moment, passed to the final interview, which is still ahead of me.

All interviews were with people from the Sales & Analytics team, not HR. The two interviews were quite similar - main emphasis on why Bloomberg, how is it different from competitors, why this job and not bank (I have a degree in banking), then how to sell the terminal to non financial company, how to sell it to a customer if he can get it cheaper from T. Reuters.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was about Bloomberg Order Management System and the use of it by asset/wealth managers i.e.: what happens when I want to invest in a stock, what does the wealth manager do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Applied through my university job page, got an email scheduling a phone interview a couple days later. Took an online test.

First round interview was on the phone, took 20-30 minutes, basic resume stuff, no difficult questions. Enthusiasm and a little bit of homework should be enough.

Second round 'super day', arrived at the 59th st office at 8 am. Office was incredible: massive, futuristic. Particularly impressive was the 6th floor where everyone at the office starts their day - goes along with their whole 'transparency' thing, which I thought was very cool. Also tons of free snacks there. Spent the hour shadowing other analysts with two other candidates for the position, most of the people there were straight out of college, super nice and helpful. One even gave me a good interview tip ("Bloomberg helps bring transparency to the market", enthusiasm). At 9am we were brought into interview rooms.

At 9am I was interviewed by two women, one with several years experience in sales and another with more experience but her title escapes me. The one with experience seemed nice (although it was at times difficult to understand her accent), the other was incredibly rude throughout the interview (picked her nose, bit her nails, stared into space often). I maintained a positive attitude, but the interview consisted mostly of me walking them through my resume, then asking them questions. Interview lasted only 40 minutes (others lasted an hour). Did not feel as if I was given a fair shot, especially when I compared my experience to others who were asked many questions.

Finally we were given a tour through the main space. Tour guide was super friendly and gave us a mini history of Bloomberg. Apparently "Uncle Mike" is around often. We even got to see where they tape the news. Very Cool.

At roughly 11 we got dropped off in the main lobby and were told to wait for an HR person to tell us what to do next. He arrived ~20 minutes later and brought each person over individually to tell us the next step. I was told to leave, and we would be contacted soon about next steps, I didn't stay for everyone, but everyone else that got brought over was instructed the same as me. This being a Friday, I expected a follow up the next Monday or Tuesday. No luck. Emailed the HR guy I was in contact with, but got an auto response about being on vacation. After about two weeks I received an email declining the position. The wait was brutal considering how badly I wanted the position. Wish they had followed up sooner.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!