Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.1

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online using LinkedIn and got feedback in about two weeks that I was scheduled for an interview in a week's time. The whole process depends on the availability of the interviewer and interviewee and may take weeks at a time. If you pass the phone interview the next step is meeting the managers and eventually senior staff. I look forward to that.

Interview Questions
  • Lead me through your CV? How would you describe what Bloomberg does to someone who has no clue what Bloomberg is?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

Online application through the Bloomberg website. A telephone interview conducted by HR a week later, and then a 2:1 interview three days after this. I did not get past this stage.

Interview Questions
    • General competencies, but they expanded on your answers so the conversation often lead into different avenues.   Answer Question

Financial Analytics and Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

I submitted my resume online and a recruiter reached out to me the next day with a generic email asking me to fill out the answers to 9 questions. I wrote back and they set a phone interview for 2 weeks later. The phone interview was easy and they set another interview two weeks later, and then another... now it's been yet another two weeks and I still haven't heard back from anyone. They just fell off the face of the earth after a 1.5 month process. The lack of professionalism is unbelievable and they don't value your time at all. Also, if you're an experienced hire, the interview is really not a good measure of how much you know because they ask you college level economics definitions. If you're a normal person then all that rubbish fell out the side of your head as soon as you graduated (which for me was 8 years ago.) They don't ask you any finance questions at all. They will ask you why bloomberg about 10 times with every interviewer. And they will harp on your reasons for wanting the job each and every time too because you're an experienced hire and this is basically a glorified help-desk role.

All in all, they are very disorganized, very unprofessional, very impersonal, and they don't give you a timeline on anything. I applied for an April opening and they didn't get the ball rolling until March. Mind you, I applied February 1st. They said they were considering me for July the last I spoke to them. I'm due for round 4 interview but with no contact in sight. When they make me the offer, I will be glad to decline it.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? Role play with an angry client. Role play with an Equity Viewer problem. Test your language (if you are multilingual they will ask you to explain your last job or something in that language). What is your approach to sales. What is the most difficult thing about the role play. Randomly chosen questions to define two economic terms (these are ridiculously random and out of econ or micro / macro 101 classes). Absolutely NO finance questions. Can you explain the role to us in detail (they want to make sure you know this is help desk without saying it is a "helpdesk" position because they still need to sound fancy.) It is a glorified call center but pitch it as something prestigious.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

phone interview --> interview day (about 30 other candidates taking tour of office and doing two speed dating style interviews with other applicants in the room)--> shadowing of a Bloomberg employee who currently holds position and then meeting with two managers (one sales, one analytics)...mostly behavioral questions about what you've done and if you have previous sales experience. don't say you have interest in anything other than what you're applying for they'll hold it against you if you say you want to be at a big bank, hedge fund, etc.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online in October for the January 2015 Product Sales & Analytics position and received an invitation to do a phone interview several weeks later. Following the phone interview, I did not receive an invitation for the second round, in person interview until late November/early December. The second round was a "career day" feature of the company which included a tour, a Bloomberg terminal overview and two sequential interviews with current employees. Several weeks later I was invited back for a third round. This consisted of a 30 minute shadow opportunity of a person currently working in the role followed by a 2 v 1 group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Second round: Explain a difficult financial concept (to the interviewer) and pretend they had no experience with finance/economics.
      If you could only choose one, would you rather do sales or analytics?
      How do you handle sequential customers who are not interested in the product you are selling?

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Phone interview lasted about 50 minutes. Interviewer was very nice and welcoming, she would happily repeat any questions if the line cut / you didn't understand the question. At some point she even rephrased a question I didn't understand trying to be helpful. Then she asked if I had any questions. At the end of the interview she gave me constructive feedback and told me she would like to move me forward to the next interview. She mentioned that I was well-prepared however I have to focus a bit more on why I want to move into Finance, exp. that I am a career changer. She also recommended I learn more about how BBG helps clients make / save money or time.

In general I would say that the interview was very tailored to my own replies. They will ask a lot of follow-up questions so be prepared, know what you're speaking of.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? They want real substance, things you won't find in other companies. Answers like diversity and good amount of pressure were highlighted as great answers by my interviewer. She recommended I look for more great answers though. at least 4 unique ones in total
      What are BBG products? (She recommended I categorise them like their website does, do not just list them)
      What is BBG government?
      How does your previous experience relate to this position?
      Questions about derivatives (forwards, futures and options)
      How do companies raise capital?
      What are the advantages/disadvantages of Equity vs. Debt (Particularly shares vs. bonds)
      How would you convince a large investment bank to keep their terminals if they were to lay off all the equities department (you can't change their decision about laying off the department)?
      What skills would this position require?
      What skills would good sales person have?
      Why sales? Why finance?
      What do our clients do with our data? (after they collect it) What decisions are they making?
      I answered this question before she asked but I am sure she would have asked it: How would a non-financial company use the terminal? (Basically for Risk Management (Commodity, Interest and FE risks), Investor Relations and Cash Management)
      A recent story in the news you found interesting. Make sure to give your opinion on it and not just say the story.
      How do you keep us with recent news?

That is all I could remember for now :) Good luck!

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

It was a group interview:

- Each candidates do a brief self introduction within your group
    - To invest 100 million for a client
    - To read a Fishy Tale story and rank the character, discuss the ranking and debate

Every task was timed. The interview was actually quite chill and fun.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

I. Phone Interview

II. NYC HQ Interviews

a. Tour of office with (recent hire < 10 months at firm) representative:
          30 min shadowing of individual working the terminal (ask questions!)
          Display of the terminal features
          Full tour of office included the newsroom

b. Interview with two reps, one from sales and one from analytics

-- Break for Lunch --

c. Interview with manager from analytics department

d. Interview with executive

Overall the process and questions were exactly as reported by previous candidates postings here. I prepped by knowing my resume inside and out, reading the financial news, and compiling all the questions listed on this site. Because of my technical background they didn't ask me many financial questions. I discussed my news sources from and how I utilize that information.

The biggest advice I can give is to know what the job is, how your skills transfer, and speak to the opportunities a firm such as Bloomberg can provide long term. The firm invests in its employees with an excellent training program and they don't want to see that investment walk out the door to another firm.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bloomberg? What are the skills necessary for this role? How are you suited for sales? What is more important, the client or the product? Sell me your favorite app. Who are Bloomberg's biggest competitors? How much does the terminal cost? How did you find out about the job? How did you deal with a difficult client? Have you ever used the terminal before? Describe what you think the job will entail? "Tell me about the most recent financial article you read"   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

I got the first round interview quite quickly, like 3-4 days after application. 6 people sit in the conference room and started by a self intro. The interviewer wants to know something interetsing about urself. I think he didnt intereted in ur normal job except it is very interesting and special. Then he would let u raise any question. About the role and bloomberg.

The fist task is a group diacussion and presentation on how to invest HK$80m. The conclusion should come up with 1 financial news and 1 non-financial news.

The second task is to the ranking exercise of The Fishy Tale. First we rank and then shared our view and agreed with a group ranking.Then, we divided into 2 group for a debate on the ranking we agreed. Keep thinking and listening to arguements!

We performed badly and I guess the whole group would fail. But some guys with good or native English may be passed to sec round.

Interview Questions
    • How to invest with hkd80m? Supported with financial and nonfinancial news.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

Online app - phone interview (analytics team leader) - 1st In house (sales manager? + analytics team leader) - 2nd in house (uk sales manager + analytics specialist) - final round (european head of analytics)

Telephone interview was really really easy. About 10 min and it was basically the team leader telling me about the firm and introducing herself. 2 hours later I got an email saying I passed, arranged in work shadowing and house interview in a week.

I did not feel that good about my 1st in house interview, but I got really good feedback after that, and I heard back in 2,3 days with an email saying I got invited for another round of interview.

I definitely felt it went BAD for my 2nd house interview but I passed again - sometimes they just grill you a little to see how you react i guess. Got a phone call 2 days after confirming date for final round.

My final round with head of analytics was amazing, she was such an inspiring person and it felt like chatting instead of having an interview. In the end she asked me if I had any questions and my final question was when should I expect to hear back from them and she said Now, YOU GOT THE JOB.

Every single round focused on Why Bloomberg and Why Sales. Need to come across as really passionate about working with people, client management/client service, etc. and that you care about the firm and really passionate about the firm. Prepare these two questions and you got 50% of the interviews.

Other stuff:
    - your experiences/ CV run down: this depends on your experience, they just wanna see what you have done that's going you help you contribute to the firm, what skills you developed - the normal stuff.

- Bloomberg products: I got asked in both in-house interviews how would Bloomberg help an industrial firm. Focus your answer on investor relations, as in, every public firm needs to publish their annual reports through somewhere for investors to see, AND every firm needs to keep track of how their competitors are performing, and Bloomberg provides that. Other than that, talk about risk control and cash management.

- current financial affair: very minimal, occasionally slip in one,two sentences in your answers and they won't ask more. For example, when I was talking about industrial firms can use Bloomberg to reduce foreign exchange risk, I mentioned that the Krona appreciate (that same week )a great deal so a european firm with debt in Krona just lost some money there.

- financial concept: I rated my finance knowledge 5 out of 10, so they asked me to differentiate bond and stock, which was a really easy one. Just be honest, if you don't know it's totally fine.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you excited to sell Bloomberg? (I said I never thought about that, she did NOT like that...)
      You know sometimes you don't use FCF for DCF, what *do* you use then? (I said I don't know. He goes, fine.)