Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

3.1

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in April 2015.

Interview

After submitting the online application I got an email from Bloomberg a month after about the interview. Before I was confirmed on the interview, I had to provide contact details, graduation date and What I think Analytics was in Bloomberg's perspective. I gave an answer with 2,3 sentences about the role then was invited for an office interview.

It was a group interview with about 10 people and each person had to do a short introduction about themselves, talking about name, school, what they are doing currently and one interesting fact. After that, we were asked to come up with one stock to recommend. But the main purpose of this exercise was to as a group, we needed to ask the interviewer 10 questions and recommend two stocks based on what each of us wrote down for the recommendation and the answer from the questions. So we asked things like "What is the time horizon for the investment?" "What is your risk profile?"

Then each person was given a fairy tale to see rank which character was the most favorable. Then the interviewer asked us to provide a group ranking that does not overlap with any individual's ranking. After that, we were broken up into two groups to debate why the group ranking makes sense or not.

Interview Questions

• Which stock would you recommend with $2million (non-US stocks)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

call after one month i have applied from site, she was very gentle but the interview lasted more than one hour. at the end i was very tired, i think is too much for a first screening phone interview.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Submitting application, telephone interview then 1 to 1 interview
    Normally 1st stage took the longest while from the 2nd stage, it was quicker
    applied via employee's referral
    HR is helpful and so as the interviewers

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg, Talk about working experience, which area of expertise that I would be keen on, Sell bloomberg terminals, retaining clients etc   1 Answer

Personal issue

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

phone interview + 3 rounds in house interview. phone interview was easy, the interviewer had a list of questions and the whole process only lasted 30 mins. in house interviewers were nice. questions were basically focused on motivation, knowledge of the company, its products and competitors, basic financial knoledge and customer service and sales skills.

Interview Questions

• why BBG, why this role? what do you know about BBG and its competitors? finance news that you are interested in. tell a case that you sold something successfully and three key success factors. how to prioritize different customers when questions come in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied Online
    Most of the questions were motivational and competency based.
    It was a 40min phone interview and the interviewer was very friendly.
    After the interview she gave also tips for the next round, which was really nice.
    I could prepare for most the questions through glassdoor.
    So for everyone who is applying for Bloomberg,
    it is highly recommendable to read through the reviews here.
    I passed the phone interview, but still waiting for the next invitation email.

If a company wants to raise fund what options they have?
    What are pro/contras raising fund with shares/bonds?
    If there is an angry client what would you do?
    Essential traits/skills a sales person need
    What would a non-financial corporate do with Bloomberg Terminal?

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg
      What do you know about Bloomberg
      What is Bloomberg Tradebook
      Difference between Terminal and Tradebook
      An article you recently read

Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

First there was a phone screening from HR where I was asked about my interest in the position, Bloomberg, and behavioral type questions about my past experiences. Later that week I got an email asking that I come into their office for a first round in-house interview (aka their Super Day). The super day was intense - there were about 25 of us. They set us up in a large conference room with speed dating type tables. I interviewed with a person from Sales and another from Analytics (each was a half hour long). They asked behavioral questions and some finance questions. Generally they want to get a feel for why you choose Bloomberg. The same day they took us on a tour of the building and showed a brief overview of "the Bloomberg."
    I was asked back for a second in-house interview where I met with a senior sales manager and a senior executive. This final round was much more difficult. They really tested my knowledge of sales and finance.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between sell side and buy side?
      What are the current stories you're following in the market?
      Have you used the terminal before?
      Sell me you favorite app.
      Why are you interested in sales?

Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

First round normal hr questions followed by two round in Bloomberg office. Questions are straight forward with not so much on emphasis. Terminal past experience added more benefit in interview i presume

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied online using LinkedIn and got feedback in about two weeks that I was scheduled for an interview in a week's time. The whole process depends on the availability of the interviewer and interviewee and may take weeks at a time. If you pass the phone interview the next step is meeting the managers and eventually senior staff. I look forward to that.

Interview Questions

• Lead me through your CV? How would you describe what Bloomberg does to someone who has no clue what Bloomberg is?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Online application through the Bloomberg website. A telephone interview conducted by HR a week later, and then a 2:1 interview three days after this. I did not get past this stage.

Interview Questions

• General competencies, but they expanded on your answers so the conversation often lead into different avenues.   Answer Question

Financial Analytics and Sales Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and a recruiter reached out to me the next day with a generic email asking me to fill out the answers to 9 questions. I wrote back and they set a phone interview for 2 weeks later. The phone interview was easy and they set another interview two weeks later, and then another... now it's been yet another two weeks and I still haven't heard back from anyone. They just fell off the face of the earth after a 1.5 month process. The lack of professionalism is unbelievable and they don't value your time at all. Also, if you're an experienced hire, the interview is really not a good measure of how much you know because they ask you college level economics definitions. If you're a normal person then all that rubbish fell out the side of your head as soon as you graduated (which for me was 8 years ago.) They don't ask you any finance questions at all. They will ask you why bloomberg about 10 times with every interviewer. And they will harp on your reasons for wanting the job each and every time too because you're an experienced hire and this is basically a glorified help-desk role.

All in all, they are very disorganized, very unprofessional, very impersonal, and they don't give you a timeline on anything. I applied for an April opening and they didn't get the ball rolling until March. Mind you, I applied February 1st. They said they were considering me for July the last I spoke to them. I'm due for round 4 interview but with no contact in sight. When they make me the offer, I will be glad to decline it.

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg? Role play with an angry client. Role play with an Equity Viewer problem. Test your language (if you are multilingual they will ask you to explain your last job or something in that language). What is your approach to sales. What is the most difficult thing about the role play. Randomly chosen questions to define two economic terms (these are ridiculously random and out of econ or micro / macro 101 classes). Absolutely NO finance questions. Can you explain the role to us in detail (they want to make sure you know this is help desk without saying it is a "helpdesk" position because they still need to sound fancy.) It is a glorified call center but pitch it as something prestigious.   Answer Question