Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

3.1

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

First Round - Phone Interview Very standard and friendly. I was asked to walk the interviewer through my resume and then answer why I want to work for Bloomberg. A week later I received an email inviting me to the HQ for an interview. Second Round - In-house Interview The in-house interview consists of a demonstration of the terminal, 2, one on one interviews (30 mins each) and a tour of the headquarters. Again, the interview questions are pretty standard: Tell me about yourself. Why finance? Why sales? Tell me about a time when you were bold. Sell me your favorite sport How does the terminal benefit oil companies? Exactly one month later I got an email stating that I had one more interview in-house. Third Round - Inhouse Interview This round is the final and toughest round so you better bring your A game. It consists of shadowing a current employee for half hour. So ask a lot of questions about what he/she is doing. Then two rounds of interviews. The first with 2 team leaders and the last with a manager. The interviews with the team leaders and managers are a mixture of standard fit questions but they can get very technical.They'll ask you questions like: What's going in the markets? How do you think that affects Bloomberg? What would you do if you didn't have to worry about money?

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in a company that is about to IPO?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, standard offer which is competitive and the benefits are good.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Ask very basic questions like why Bloomberg and etc. Make sure you have a lot of questions about Bloomberg because they want you too do most of the asking. Furthermore, they are very accurate with the time of the interview. If they tell you that they will call you between 11-12, they will call at 11 on the dot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received an invitation to a phone interview a few days later. Interviewer was a team leader in the department. The interview was meant to last 20 minutes (so I was told), though we may have used up a bit more time. Interviewer run through her professional background and then I was asked to do the same. I was then asked about my reasons for wanting to work in financial data, following my work experience outside the sector. She then proceeded to assessing what I know of the company itself, its products and services. Then, the role itself. Finally, the interviewer gauged my knowledge and interest in the financial sector, with reference to current financial news. I was given the chance to ask questions, but was also cautioned that there really was not enough time (almost like prompting me not to ask questions). I knew it before then, but at this point I was sure she was not keen on my application. Fair enough. I did quite badly that I would not have hired myself. So, only got past the phone interview. It wasn't particularly difficult. I was just neither prepared nor motivated enough.

Interview Questions

• What is the reasoning behind your decision to establish a career in the sector? What do you intend to do with the role after gaining the required skills and completing the training?   Answer Question
    • What can you tell me about Bloomberg? Have you used the Terminal?   Answer Question
    • Explain an ancillary Bloomberg service? (it was not worded this way, but that was the idea)   Answer Question
    • Who are Bloomberg's customers? How is Bloomberg helpful to them?   Answer Question
    • Who are Bloomberg's competitors? Have you used the products/services of Bloomberg's competitors?   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I was contacted by HR a couple days after I applied for a phone interview. Just basic questions. Then I was invited for a 2nd round interview in NY. Included tour of the building, shadowing an analyst, then interview.

Interview Questions

• tell me something thats not on your resume, talk about a current even being covered in the news right now   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted a few weeks later to do a phone interview. HR seemed overwhelmed but finally we agreed on a time. Im pretty sure i got the phone interview because an alumnus put my resume through. Phone Interview was standard. A few questions on character traits and enthusiasm. And a few talking points based on experience delineated in the resume. Got an email about a week later, inviting me to the second round visit at 731 Lex in Manhattan. Depending on how many other candidates there are that day, youll be divided to shadow an analyst not much older than you and pretty much get an accurate feel for what the role entails - thats for 30 mins. The the face-to-face interview with 2 senior sales and analytics people. Know your story well, theyll ask you o repeat it in a few different ways many times. i dont think theyre trying to get you to trip up or catch you saying something you dont mean, but they want the genuine story. Overall you can take their questions and direct them in any way that you want. Call their attention to certain things that you want them to hear. Definitely rehearse your talking points! Make sure to have at least 30 mins worth of questions to ask them, because they will allocate about 30 mins for your questions. This is the key place to demonstrate interest in the position. Show enthusiasm, and tell them how passionate you are about helping people. Then you go for an hour tour of the building, where you are meant to ask questions almost constantly. i felt like i had to ask insightful questions almost regularly just to beat out the other guy that was on the tour with me. Then you meat up with the HR rep who set you up with the interview. She tells you that youll get an email about the next steps. We shall see...

Interview Questions

• What do you think Bloomberg provides for the world? What are we selling?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

A phone interview for first round and in house meeting for second round. pretty much was prepared for it based on the questions found here. the interviewer asks a lot of scenario questions - i.e. how would you convince a non financial firm that bloomberg would benefit them

Interview Questions

• 1. why bloomberg 2. why this role 3. why not a bank 4. some finance terms - difference between stocks and bonds 5. relevant finance news   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email for the phone interview after about a week. Phone interview went well. It was about 15 minutes, and my interviewer asked me questions like tell me about yourself, why bloomberg, why this position, strengths and weakness, etc. It was nothing unexpected. I again received an email in about a month for their office visit. Office visit went well too. I had two, one - one interviews, one with someone from Analytics and other from Sales. Questions were all relevant.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

went through phone interview process. Phone interview: Q. recent financial new that you are following in the markets? Whats the position? why sales? why finance? was contacted a few days later asking me to come in for interviews and to see the offices.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: Q. recent financial new that you are following in the markets? Whats the position? why sales? why finance?   1 Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted a few days later for phone interview. Was then asked to come in for an interview and tour of the building with about 50 other candidates. Emailed a few days later to come in for a final interview.

Interview Questions

• Which asset class would you most like to work in for Terminal Sales team and why   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

First round was a quick phone call, about 10 minutes long, basic questions just to make sure I was a human being. Made it through there, then, I had an interview on campus with 2 people, one from sales and the other from analytics. This was much harder, as they asked me questions pertaining to the Terminal and what makes it such a reliable product, and what I believe makes a product good, plus other questions concerning time management and prioritizing. Made it past that round and had a final round. Shadowed a person working the job for about an hour, and then an interview with an analytics guy for about an hour, very financial intensive heavy, and one with a sales guy for 30 minutes, primarily behaviorial. Supposed to hear back in 2 weeks, so we'll see how things go.

Interview Questions

• How do some of our end clients use Bloomberg? Give examples and a walk-through scenario   Answer Question