Bloomberg L.P.

Getting the Interview

110 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details – First received a phone call from HR Rep wanting to talk for 15 min. Very basic questions - why bloomberg? what do they do? why sales? who are there competition? what's a financial news story you've been keeping up with? Really only on the phone for 10-15 min. Next round was in person on campus, very similar questions. Why Bloomberg? Why sales? What could you bring to the position? Where else are you interviewing? Most important skills for sales? and then some resume questions. Again, entirely behavioral. Since it's a client relationship position, I think they're just looking to see if you're sociable and easy to talk to. About two weeks later, get an email where they fly you up to NY for an on-site interview. Morning consists of touring around office building and shadowing someone on the help desk. makes it seem like not such a great job because you're literally spending your all day every day at a computer answering questions as fast as you can on the bloomberg messaging system. after that, you go for quick 30 min 2 on 1 interview and that's it. totally behavioral. if they like you, they keep you the rest of the day for more interviews, but if they don't they send you home after that one interview.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

Interview Details – The phone interview was very brief. It can catch you off guard. They introduce themselves and ask right off the bat, walk me through your resume and why Bloomberg. Only lasts about five minutes. Moving on to second round 1:1 interviews this week.

New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview of very basic questions, then flown out for 3 one on one interviews. Mostly personality/fit, but wanted to know opinions of markets based on my past experience.

Interview Question – Do you see the economy picking up at all in the next 6 months?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a later start date but only when offered. Don't negotiate here- they pay all entry levels the same, and if you don't want it they can very easily find another who will accept offer. Very competitive positions.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and after 1-2 months I received an invitation for a phone interview. It was easy, lasted about 20 minutes. Questions included: why Bloomberg, why this position, what do you know about the company.
The next day I received an invitation to attend an in-house interview in their HQ in NYC. They put me in a nice hotel and the interviewers were very nice. First, I shadowed 2 employees on the Analytics team and then the interview, which was very short, 30 minutes at most. It was a 2:1 interview and they asked mostly competency-based questions. I really liked the atmosphere at the office and I thought I did well, they were smiling and nodding all the time, but obviously wasn't good enough.

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Easy interview, very basic. The lady was very kind and asked general questions about my background and my knowledge of finance. most of the interview is centered on your knowledge of the work - that's basically customer service. I've also been asked of my life ambitions in 5 years time

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details – Application form- telephone interview- 1h shadowing and 1h panel interview- final interview
Telephone interview: straight forward. Why bloomberg?, values?, competitors?
Panel interview: was a bit trickier. In general they want you to develop almost everything you touch on. This enables you to direct the conversation. So know your stuff and background. I was asked about derivatives, previous experience and why I do not want to work there, what bloomberg differentiates from competition, they will also test your language skills, who are bloomberg customers, what is bloomberg legal, why would an investment bank buy terminals, and a couple other things. Overall the bloomberg interview was one of the more difficult ones in my view. If you make sure you mention things you really know you will be able to easily impress them because they follow your lead.

Interview Question – Sell bloomberg terminals to a swiss start up who does not agree on fees and contract duration.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – First telephone interview was pretty basic- why bloomberg, why this role, what do I know about the products offered etc.
Next round I believe was a bit harder. They asked me to pitch the terminal to a reuters user.

Interview Question – why would a researcher buy terminal over fact set ( which is super cheap in comparison )
How can a corporation hedge currency risk using bbg?
  Answer Question

London, England (UK)

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview is three steps. First, phone interview. Second, 1 hour video interview if you are not in the UK. Third, they will fly you into London to do a face to face. Each interview you do will be with people of higher position. This starts from team member to regional heads. Be prepared to know what makes Bloomberg different.

Interview Question – Can you tell me what is Bloomberg's greatest industry penetration in a specific country?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a phone interview 3 days later, which was relaxed and had mainly basic questions. Then got invited to attend an interview the next day. It was a long process, and they emphasised the ability of salesmanship. Some questions were challenging, but weren't intended to catch me out. I think I didn't get the job due to my lack of sales experience and sales tactics.

Interview Question – Sell me your Blackberry over my iPhone.   Answer Question

Financial Analytics and Sales Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – Online application followed by a 20 minute phone interview and a face to face meeting ( if based in London ) or video conference. I was initially booked for f2f in London, however they have re-scheduled it for me so I could attend from Edinburgh office.
Phone interview was very generic/basic
• CV Walkthrough
• Why Bloomberg?
• What do you know about the company?
• What do you know about the role?
• What’s the difference between good and great customer service?
• How do you keep up to date with financial news?
• How would you rate your financial knowledge on a scale from 1 to 10
Also the interviewer mentioned that he’d normally ask questions about financial markets ( general knowledge ) however because I had a degree in Investments Analysis he said he’s not going to bother.
Face to face / video conference ( 1 hour )
Similar questions at the beginning– why Bloomberg , why this role, what do you know about the company, what do you know about this role.
• Then few more detailed questions
• What are Bloomberg products?
• How would you sell a Bloomberg terminal to a Turkish Airline?
This went into a bit more details. They were asking about the factors that influence FX rate flucation, how can you hedge a risk, how a company can use financial data.
• How would you convince a customer to switch from cheaper competitor product to Bloomberg?
• If you had customers requesting a meeting, one that wanted to cancel subscription and a new customer, which meeting would you attend first and why?
• What products could you use to hedge risk and how they work? ( futures, options etc )
• Tell me about an article / news story that have interested you in the last week?
Interviewers were very nice ( 15 minutes late though ) and it was a pleasant interview. Still waiting to hear back if I was successful ( they will let me know in the next 2/3 days )
The last stage is f2f interview in the London office. Overall very positive experience.

Interview Question – How would you sell a Bloomberg terminal to a Turkish Airline?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.