Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

149 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2011.

The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of personality questions, followed by a run-down of sales and financial experiences on my resume. The position was for a job in San Francisco, for their sales and analytics internship position. It sounded like Bloomberg is looking for sales experience related to finance. Toward the end of the interviewing process, the interviewer asked me what I knew about Bloomberg and any of the divisions I am interested in. Make sure you study the company's history and current investment tools for investing. Bloomberg, L.P. has a great name in the finance industry, so I found the internship process to be competitive.

Interview Questions
  • What can you tell me about Bloomberg L.P.?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2011.

First phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Questions were mostly situational (i.e. name a time at work where you came across a problem and solved it, how do you think customer service should be handled, why Bloomberg?) No technical questions, or really about finance whatsoever. Mostly WHY Bloomberg, what intrigued you about the position, and why sales/analytics? Got offered a second round interview, which is in a few days at the main office in NYC.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a problem and a creative solution you came up with to fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

First received a phone call from HR Rep wanting to talk for 15 min. Very basic questions - why bloomberg? what do they do? why sales? who are there competition? what's a financial news story you've been keeping up with? Really only on the phone for 10-15 min. Next round was in person on campus, very similar questions. Why Bloomberg? Why sales? What could you bring to the position? Where else are you interviewing? Most important skills for sales? and then some resume questions. Again, entirely behavioral. Since it's a client relationship position, I think they're just looking to see if you're sociable and easy to talk to. About two weeks later, get an email where they fly you up to NY for an on-site interview. Morning consists of touring around office building and shadowing someone on the help desk. makes it seem like not such a great job because you're literally spending your all day every day at a computer answering questions as fast as you can on the bloomberg messaging system. after that, you go for quick 30 min 2 on 1 interview and that's it. totally behavioral. if they like you, they keep you the rest of the day for more interviews, but if they don't they send you home after that one interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

The phone interview was very brief. It can catch you off guard. They introduce themselves and ask right off the bat, walk me through your resume and why Bloomberg. Only lasts about five minutes. Moving on to second round 1:1 interviews this week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2010.

Phone interview of very basic questions, then flown out for 3 one on one interviews. Mostly personality/fit, but wanted to know opinions of markets based on my past experience.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see the economy picking up at all in the next 6 months?   View Answer
    Negotiated a later start date but only when offered. Don't negotiate here- they pay all entry levels the same, and if you don't want it they can very easily find another who will accept offer. Very competitive positions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2011.

I applied online and after 1-2 months I received an invitation for a phone interview. It was easy, lasted about 20 minutes. Questions included: why Bloomberg, why this position, what do you know about the company.
    The next day I received an invitation to attend an in-house interview in their HQ in NYC. They put me in a nice hotel and the interviewers were very nice. First, I shadowed 2 employees on the Analytics team and then the interview, which was very short, 30 minutes at most. It was a 2:1 interview and they asked mostly competency-based questions. I really liked the atmosphere at the office and I thought I did well, they were smiling and nodding all the time, but obviously wasn't good enough.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

There are four stages to apply for this role:
    1. Online Application
    2. Telephone Interview
    3. Panel Interview
    4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What research have you done lately?
      What is the difference between a forward and future?
      What is the difference between an option and future?
      What would you choose, an option or a future?
      What is an option premium?
      How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?
        Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

I applied the job on line and received reply next day. The first round is group interview. About one hour company background introduction was given before the group discussion. The group discussion have two sections with 30 min of each. One section is characters ranking of a story. Another is to provide investment advice. You should try to show your professional background and communication skills in limited time.
    The candidate of next round will be noted immediately after the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • To provide investment advice with latest financial news is difficult.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First round interview was a group interview. The first part starts off with self introduction, where each person has to talk about their background. The team leader then gave a presentation about what the role does and also company information. Then the groups were asked to discuss about how to invest $1M and to link it with a piece of news. After that, the groups had to read a story and rank the characters of the story individually and as a group. The last task is to debate with another group about the ranking of the characters with reasons.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

Process in 3 stages: 1. telephone interview, 2. face2face (or video conference) and a 3rd and final face2face interview.

Why finance and why Bloomberg (I studied marketing so it was sort of hard to convince them why I want to go into finance now)? What can Bloomberg give you what other companies cannot give you? Sell a Samsung phone to an iPhone owner and lover. Mention 3 arguments why Bloomberg should take you on.

Telephone interview:
    It is rather short and they are bombarding you with questions just like why Bloomberg, why finance, what does Bloomberg do, who are our competitors, why would a company use a Bloomberg terminal, give an overview over the Ukraine crisis.

1. F2F interview:
    Similar questions as telephone interview, digging a bit deeper. They really want to know why you want to work for them and what your sales and people skills are. If you don't have a finance background be honest and tell them you're not an expert but you are keen to learn and be prepared to answer why you want to learn more about finance! They also ask you about different scenarios at the help desk and how you would handle them.

I am still waiting to hear back from them whether I made it to the 3rd stage or not!

Interview Questions
    • Why finance now and not marketing or communications (which are my degrees)?
      What does Bloomberg give you that another company couldn't give you?
      What other jobs did you apply for so far?
        Answer Question