Bloomberg L.P. Financial Sales and Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014

153 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2011.

The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of personality questions, followed by a run-down of sales and financial experiences on my resume. The position was for a job in San Francisco, for their sales and analytics internship position. It sounded like Bloomberg is looking for sales experience related to finance. Toward the end of the interviewing process, the interviewer asked me what I knew about Bloomberg and any of the divisions I am interested in. Make sure you study the company's history and current investment tools for investing. Bloomberg, L.P. has a great name in the finance industry, so I found the internship process to be competitive.

Interview Questions
  • What can you tell me about Bloomberg L.P.?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2011.

First phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Questions were mostly situational (i.e. name a time at work where you came across a problem and solved it, how do you think customer service should be handled, why Bloomberg?) No technical questions, or really about finance whatsoever. Mostly WHY Bloomberg, what intrigued you about the position, and why sales/analytics? Got offered a second round interview, which is in a few days at the main office in NYC.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a problem and a creative solution you came up with to fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

First received a phone call from HR Rep wanting to talk for 15 min. Very basic questions - why bloomberg? what do they do? why sales? who are there competition? what's a financial news story you've been keeping up with? Really only on the phone for 10-15 min. Next round was in person on campus, very similar questions. Why Bloomberg? Why sales? What could you bring to the position? Where else are you interviewing? Most important skills for sales? and then some resume questions. Again, entirely behavioral. Since it's a client relationship position, I think they're just looking to see if you're sociable and easy to talk to. About two weeks later, get an email where they fly you up to NY for an on-site interview. Morning consists of touring around office building and shadowing someone on the help desk. makes it seem like not such a great job because you're literally spending your all day every day at a computer answering questions as fast as you can on the bloomberg messaging system. after that, you go for quick 30 min 2 on 1 interview and that's it. totally behavioral. if they like you, they keep you the rest of the day for more interviews, but if they don't they send you home after that one interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

The phone interview was very brief. It can catch you off guard. They introduce themselves and ask right off the bat, walk me through your resume and why Bloomberg. Only lasts about five minutes. Moving on to second round 1:1 interviews this week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2010.

Phone interview of very basic questions, then flown out for 3 one on one interviews. Mostly personality/fit, but wanted to know opinions of markets based on my past experience.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see the economy picking up at all in the next 6 months?   View Answer
    Negotiated a later start date but only when offered. Don't negotiate here- they pay all entry levels the same, and if you don't want it they can very easily find another who will accept offer. Very competitive positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2011.

I applied online and after 1-2 months I received an invitation for a phone interview. It was easy, lasted about 20 minutes. Questions included: why Bloomberg, why this position, what do you know about the company.
    The next day I received an invitation to attend an in-house interview in their HQ in NYC. They put me in a nice hotel and the interviewers were very nice. First, I shadowed 2 employees on the Analytics team and then the interview, which was very short, 30 minutes at most. It was a 2:1 interview and they asked mostly competency-based questions. I really liked the atmosphere at the office and I thought I did well, they were smiling and nodding all the time, but obviously wasn't good enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

There are four stages to apply for this role:
    1. Online Application
    2. Telephone Interview
    3. Panel Interview
    4. Panel Interview with Manager you will report in to.

The online application is straightforward. Exhibit a keen interest in Bloomberg, Financial Markets and Sales.

The telephone interview tests your interests of the aforementioned topics and see you can hold a conversation over the telephone. They fire questions in an attempt to make you uncomfortable to test your ability to maintain composure. They ask fundamental technical questions here.

The Panel interview is with someone form Sales and another from Analytics. They test your technical knowledge here and explore where your strengths/weaknesses lie. They then focus their attention on the answers that you give and drill deeper to identify your expertise on the subject. A sound understanding of financial instruments is an advantage.

I made it to the third stage and missed out.

Interview Questions
    • What research have you done lately?
      What is the difference between a forward and future?
      What is the difference between an option and future?
      What would you choose, an option or a future?
      What is an option premium?
      How would you sell 20 Bloomberg Terminals?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

- online application
    - they got back to me the next day and arrange a telephone interview for 4 days later
    - telephone interview conducted by HR about 20 mins basic motivations and skill questions
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. What skills do you think you can offer?
    3. What does Bloomberg have over their competitors?
    4. When are you available to start if you are successful?
    5. Do you have experience of customer service?

- a week later invited to the 1st in house interview
    (30 min shadowing [use this time to your benefit to ask as many qu's as you can before the main interview as it is not a test!] + 1hr interview with 2 interviewers)
    1. Why Bloomberg?
    2. What products do Bloomberg offer?
    3. Who are Bloomberg's competitors?
    4. Have you ever experienced a time you could not please a customer?
    5. How has your past experience in customer service relate to what your position entails?
    6. What career path would you like to go down in the future?
    7. Why this position?
    8. What have you gathered the analytics team does from the shadowing you had?

- didn't make it to the 2nd in house interview :'(

The people were nice in general. Interviewers were nice, the man was a bit poker face and drills deeper into the answers you give, the woman was a bit more open, having more of a conversation with you.

Interview Questions
    • 1. How is the Ukraine crises affecting the Mumbai economy?
      2. What effect is the Scottish independence likely to have in China?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

3 round interview, 1 phone and 2 personal at the office in London. They are super keen on how you answer the "why bloomberg?" question. It is expected that your life's sole purpose is to work in financial data providing and that you don't apply to other industries. Only mention competitors for companies where you have applied.

Interview Questions

1,5 years in the analytics department is just not for me. It is basically chating on bloomberg helpdesk for 18 months.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

The recruiter got back to me quickly after submitting my application. I was surprised that it only took 3 or 4 days. It was a very basic interview, she called me on the phone and asked the usual questions like "Could you walk me through your resume?" and "Why do you want to work for Bloomberg?" She wasn't an animated interviewer at all, and I heard it in her voice that she already done a whole bunch of interviews earlier that day. Other than that, the whole thing lasted around 20-30 minutes.