Bloomberg L.P.
3.2 of 5 1,025 reviews
www.bloomberg.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Getting the Interview

102 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – The first round is a phone interview that takes 45 min. After several days I got the email saying that I wad invited to the on site interview in New York. There were two interviewers this time.

Interview Question – How does hash table work   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – I applied online, and few days after, the HR email me to schedule a phone interview date with the interviewer, the first scheduled time nothing happen, so I scheduled another time, then the next time, the phone call came as expected, they only ask me some very simple questions such as what's the difference between java and C++, most of time I talking about my project which the interviewer seems interested in on it too.

All seem going smoothly, however, two weeks later, I was told that the position was already filled.

Interview Question – How the difference of C++ and java reflects on my project.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacts me. It took 2 weeks.Interview questions are not hard.

Interview Question – Do I have experience with memory leaks?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone interview and then an on site interview. The phone interview was pretty standard questions about C and C++ with some string parsing. On site was 4 rounds, 2 rounds of engineers, 1 round of management and 1 round with HR. The onsite questions were challenging but the people were nice and it was fair. Lots of questions about hash tables and I had to talk about synchronization a fair deal.

They were very aggressive with the questioning. If you said something you were expected to back it up and even if you were right, they tried to make you feel like you could be wrong and see if you could really defend your position.

A lot of the questions started out not too difficult and then got harder as the interviewers imposed additional restrictions. It seemed like they really wanted to see if you could come at a problem from multiple points of view.

A solid understanding of data structures and basic algorithms as well as flexibility to modify what you already know on the fly will serve you well.

Interview Question – A technical question about traversing a made up data structure somewhat similar to a binary tree but with additional restrictions. Was not too difficult to do recursively but then they asked for an iterative solution which was more challenging.   Answer Question

Syracuse, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on campus career fair.
Maybe a month later, I got a phone interview.
There was a technical person on the phone and he was quite kind.I asked him several times to repeat the question and failed on one, but still got the chance to go to New York for on-site interview. I'm doing it tomorrow. :)

Interview Question – I've been asked three questions.
The only one I missed is quite a basic question:If you want to do something before Java GC recycle the object?
  View Answer

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Bloomberg in February 2013. I had applied online through their careers website. A couple of weeks later they setup a phone interview for me. It was a technical interview and I had expected a lot Data-Structures and algorithms related questions. However, to my surprise the interviewer didn't ask me to write any code at all. We first spoke about my resume for sometime. After that he gave me a system design question. He basically wanted me to tell him what data structures I'll use, what kind of challenges I'll face when designing such a system and how I'll overcome those challenges. The interviewer was very nice and it was more of a discussion than an interview which was nice. 3 weeks later I got an email saying that they are coming to my campus and wanted to know if I'll be available for an interview.

This time there were two interviewers. They started by asking me questions about my past projects and internships. The interviewers were a bit unprofessional in the sense that while I was answering one person's question the other person would suddenly change the question and ask something else. They asked quite a few data-structures and algorithms related questions.

Interview Question – Find the LCM of two given numbers using c++.
Find the common elements of two linked lists when- (a) They are not sorted (b) They are sorted
Time efficiency of BST. Give an example of a BST when the search time would be O(n).
Given a large data-set, how would you store it on your computer.
Questions related to hash-maps.
  Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Interview Details – took about 2 months. had one phone internview wich I thought went well. first asked how to reverse an array which I answered in one sentence so he said maybe that is too easy so he instead asked to write a function that takes in a string and prints the occurences of each character I think. I siad to use a hash map with a count related to each character he asked what are the benefits of using a hash map. Got a rejection email about a week later

Interview Question – write a function that takes in a string and prints the occurences of each character. ;   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online thru university's career portal. I had an initial 45 min phone interview which had pretty basic syntax based and algorithm questions. No coding was involved in this interview. Then went to NY 10 days after my phone interview. I had an interview there with 2 employees of R&D team. They always start the interview with some general and behavioral questions like Why Bloomberg ? Your biggest accomplishment till now , etc.

Interview Question – 1) Why Bloomberg ?
2) 1 thing you would like to change about Bloomberg ?
3) They will grill you on your resume. Know every thing that you write on it.
4) Implementing queue using stack library in C ?
5) A question on BFS.
6) A puzzle - A mobile phone company is launching a new product (mobile phone) which they say is unbreakable if its thrown from a certain height (a threshold). You are given 2 phones. Find the threshold height of the product if you can throw it from any floor of a 100 story building ?
  View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through their website, responded requesting a phone interview one month later. Flied me to New York after two weeks after the phone interview. Very generous with the travel expenses, everything was handled fast and professional. Payed for a nearby hotel and for the transportation from airport. Great experience, amazing offices, friendly outstanding people!

Interview Questions

• You have a binary tree with each node having 3 pointers (left, right, side). Set the side pointers of the last level of the tree to point to their nearby node.   View Answer
  • Find if an expression containing [({ is syntactically correct.   View Answer
  • Given some rules of an alphabet (like a->c, 'a' comes before 'c'), find the alphabet.   View Answer
  • How to find the total area of some overlapping cycles.   Answer Question
  • How to design an optimal cache (what and how to use known data structures).   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Applied Online, Got contacted by the recruiter 1 week later and scheduled for an on-campus interview. The interviewers were really friendly but the interview was focused entirely on programming questions.

Interview Question – Write the program to merge 2 sorted lists.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern interview questions and advice. All 102 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.