Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2014

3.2

103 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2011.

2 interviews that were an hour each, done on campus. Interviewers were a bit unfriendly.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2011.

The process started with an online assessment test. Lots of in depth programming questions. Next week, they invited me to an on-site interview in their Manhattan building. Building and location are great. I had 2 1:1 interviews. Both with friendly and experienced engineers. First round consisted of 4-5 small questions related to programming and data structures. Find the intersection of two sets, multi-threading, why bloomberg, talk about previous experience etc. Second part was with a senior manager. He asked a single question. Given a tree, write a code to check if it is a binary search tree or not. He gave me 15 minutes and after that discussed my code and alternate solutions.
    Overall, the hotel they made me stay, the office environment, HR and the level of interview questions were all great. I had a very positive experience.

Had a better offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2011.

Two guys interviewed me at school's career center. They kept asking me questions about C++ even though I told them it was not my primary language. Then I was given a programming test. They were even picky about the name of the variable I gave.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

Bloomberg was very prompt when it came to communication. I already had another offer and had to respond pretty much within a week, and the company accommodated for me by fitting in my three rounds of interviews into 2 days. Each interview was an hour long; the first two were technical interviews, and the last one was an HR/personality interview. They got back to me in two business days of my last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose there is a rectangular map where you can only travel up or right to go from a start location in the bottom left corner to the top right corner, and each move is discrete. Write a program that prints all possible solutions to get from the start to finish.   View Answers (4)

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

I knew about the position from a friend who attended the B discovered day. I applied online and within a few weeks was informed that I passed the resume screening. I was asked to take an online intelligence assessment test that consisted of 30 questions and had 3 minutes to answer each question. The questions were mainly about shape rotation, simple flowcharts, comprehension, and counting characters or words in a passage. A few days later, I was informed that I have been selected to get a Technical Phone Interview that should last for 45 minutes. Waiting to see how this will go.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sequence of shape rotation steps, find the missing step that would transform the shape from initial to final phase.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

It was a technical interview and I was asked many C-programming questions regarding lists, memory management and programming algorithms. I was followed up with about an hour after the interview to come in for a second round interview. The second interview consisted of questions regarding statistics, math and in general intelligence related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would rearrange a word and then a sentence in C!   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2010.

I applied for this position through the university job portal. I got through the resume screening and was given a set of options for an online technical test (C, C++, Java, or C#). I took the C++ test. After 4 days they got back asking for phone interview date/time. I have the phone interview this week.

Interview Questions
    • Three to four questions were on inheritance (virtual inheritance, multiple inheritance). There were a few questions on the standard library (cout, cin, cerr). What are predicates? What is polymorphism? Questions on the STL algorithms (find()).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2012.

I applied for the position on Bloomberg Careers website and I got email after a week saying I have to give technical assessment test. I got through test and I have phone interview on 28th .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2012.

It took a long time to get the skill test and phone interview. The recruiter at my college told me to go online to take a skills test but I could not find any. All I found was the job search online so I appied online. About 3 weeks later, I get an email saying that I have 3 days left to take the skills test.. Eventually they sent me a link to the test and was notified about 3 days later that I had a technical phone interview. This interview took about a week to setup and another week before it happened. Interviewer was quite nice, a little difficult to understand. He jumped straight to technicals. 2 days letter, I get an email about an on-site interview which took about another 3 weeks to arrange. I had no idea it was a panel interview until 3 days prior. The people who greeted me at the building were very friendly. The atmosphere was awesome; everything was very open. My interviewers were also very friendly. When it got to the technicals, they sometimes digressed and asked very specific questions about certain parts of my answers. So make sure you know what you're saying and be ready to expand on the specifics of your answer. For example, if you mention using a HashMap, you should already know a bit about them .. how they work, when they should be used, etc..

Interview Questions
    • What is a thread?   Answer Question
    • There are 20 floors in a building. If you're on an elevator and you're trying to get to the 20th floor, what is the probability that 4 people ahead of you click the 20th floor before you do? Assuming you click last.   View Answers (7)
    • Given a dollar value, write a function that calculates the number of possible coin combinations that make up that value.   View Answers (2)
    • Find and store all the occurences of each letter in a word.   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2012.

I got through the first two rounds of interviews. The first round was extremely easy asking me to remove a node in a singly linked list and coding binary search. The second round involved finding the largest continuous sum. Be prepared to explain the run time of your application and to defend your choices. You will not get positive or negative feedback during the interview one way or the other. At least I didn't. The third round was two straight interviews. One with HR the other technical. I misunderstood the modification to a problem in the final technical interview and I think it cost me getting the position.

Interview Questions
    • Find the largest continuous sum given an array of integers. Given an array of characters and a dictionary sorted in alphabetical order, find the ten longest words in the given dictionary that could be formed using the characters in the array.   View Answers (2)