Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2014

3.2

103 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2011.

2 interviews that were an hour each, done on campus. Interviewers were a bit unfriendly.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

Bloomberg was very prompt when it came to communication. I already had another offer and had to respond pretty much within a week, and the company accommodated for me by fitting in my three rounds of interviews into 2 days. Each interview was an hour long; the first two were technical interviews, and the last one was an HR/personality interview. They got back to me in two business days of my last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose there is a rectangular map where you can only travel up or right to go from a start location in the bottom left corner to the top right corner, and each move is discrete. Write a program that prints all possible solutions to get from the start to finish.   View Answers (4)

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

I knew about the position from a friend who attended the B discovered day. I applied online and within a few weeks was informed that I passed the resume screening. I was asked to take an online intelligence assessment test that consisted of 30 questions and had 3 minutes to answer each question. The questions were mainly about shape rotation, simple flowcharts, comprehension, and counting characters or words in a passage. A few days later, I was informed that I have been selected to get a Technical Phone Interview that should last for 45 minutes. Waiting to see how this will go.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sequence of shape rotation steps, find the missing step that would transform the shape from initial to final phase.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

It was a technical interview and I was asked many C-programming questions regarding lists, memory management and programming algorithms. I was followed up with about an hour after the interview to come in for a second round interview. The second interview consisted of questions regarding statistics, math and in general intelligence related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would rearrange a word and then a sentence in C!   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2010.

I applied for this position through the university job portal. I got through the resume screening and was given a set of options for an online technical test (C, C++, Java, or C#). I took the C++ test. After 4 days they got back asking for phone interview date/time. I have the phone interview this week.

Interview Questions
    • Three to four questions were on inheritance (virtual inheritance, multiple inheritance). There were a few questions on the standard library (cout, cin, cerr). What are predicates? What is polymorphism? Questions on the STL algorithms (find()).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2011.

The process started with an online assessment test. Lots of in depth programming questions. Next week, they invited me to an on-site interview in their Manhattan building. Building and location are great. I had 2 1:1 interviews. Both with friendly and experienced engineers. First round consisted of 4-5 small questions related to programming and data structures. Find the intersection of two sets, multi-threading, why bloomberg, talk about previous experience etc. Second part was with a senior manager. He asked a single question. Given a tree, write a code to check if it is a binary search tree or not. He gave me 15 minutes and after that discussed my code and alternate solutions.
    Overall, the hotel they made me stay, the office environment, HR and the level of interview questions were all great. I had a very positive experience.

Had a better offer.

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

I applied online only by submitting the CV. I got programmed for a telephone interview which I managed to pass in late December. The telephone interview was quite nice, the guy asked me a bit about why I wanted to join Bloomberg and some technical questions. I was appointed for an in-house interview in January. The interview was mostly technical, finishing with a small chat with the recruiter at the end about why I wanted to join the company and what's the difference between the other places I've applied to and Bloomberg.

Interview Questions
    • Classic one from them: You have an array and you want to find the first non-repeating element.   View Answers (2)
    • What do you do when your hashtable becomes exhausted?   View Answer
    • You have a linked list. How would you detect a loop in it, without using DFS of BFS?   View Answer
    • How does Java Garbage Collection work? How would you implement garbage collection?   View Answer
    • Would Java Bytecode generated by Java 7 work on a JVM made to function on Java 1.0?   View Answers (2)

I've got an offer from a hedge fund which I wanted to take. The pay was better and I also think they're more techy then Bloomberg. I was a bit discouraged when I found out that at Bloomberg, they don't tweak the code to be time-space efficient, they just make it be correct and fullstop.

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

I interviewed with Bloomberg in February 2013. I had applied online through their careers website. A couple of weeks later they setup a phone interview for me. It was a technical interview and I had expected a lot Data-Structures and algorithms related questions. However, to my surprise the interviewer didn't ask me to write any code at all. We first spoke about my resume for sometime. After that he gave me a system design question. He basically wanted me to tell him what data structures I'll use, what kind of challenges I'll face when designing such a system and how I'll overcome those challenges. The interviewer was very nice and it was more of a discussion than an interview which was nice. 3 weeks later I got an email saying that they are coming to my campus and wanted to know if I'll be available for an interview.

This time there were two interviewers. They started by asking me questions about my past projects and internships. The interviewers were a bit unprofessional in the sense that while I was answering one person's question the other person would suddenly change the question and ask something else. They asked quite a few data-structures and algorithms related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Find the LCM of two given numbers using c++.
      Find the common elements of two linked lists when- (a) They are not sorted (b) They are sorted
      Time efficiency of BST. Give an example of a BST when the search time would be O(n).
      Given a large data-set, how would you store it on your computer.
      Questions related to hash-maps.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Had an initial phone interview and then an on site interview. The phone interview was pretty standard questions about C and C++ with some string parsing. On site was 4 rounds, 2 rounds of engineers, 1 round of management and 1 round with HR. The onsite questions were challenging but the people were nice and it was fair. Lots of questions about hash tables and I had to talk about synchronization a fair deal.

They were very aggressive with the questioning. If you said something you were expected to back it up and even if you were right, they tried to make you feel like you could be wrong and see if you could really defend your position.

A lot of the questions started out not too difficult and then got harder as the interviewers imposed additional restrictions. It seemed like they really wanted to see if you could come at a problem from multiple points of view.

A solid understanding of data structures and basic algorithms as well as flexibility to modify what you already know on the fly will serve you well.

Interview Questions
    • A technical question about traversing a made up data structure somewhat similar to a binary tree but with additional restrictions. Was not too difficult to do recursively but then they asked for an iterative solution which was more challenging.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied Online, Got contacted by the recruiter 1 week later and scheduled for an on-campus interview. The interviewers were really friendly but the interview was focused entirely on programming questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!