Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

2 interviews that were an hour each, done on campus. Interviewers were a bit unfriendly.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Two guys interviewed me at school's career center. They kept asking me questions about C++ even though I told them it was not my primary language. Then I was given a programming test. They were even picky about the name of the variable I gave.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

The process started with an online assessment test. Lots of in depth programming questions. Next week, they invited me to an on-site interview in their Manhattan building. Building and location are great. I had 2 1:1 interviews. Both with friendly and experienced engineers. First round consisted of 4-5 small questions related to programming and data structures. Find the intersection of two sets, multi-threading, why bloomberg, talk about previous experience etc. Second part was with a senior manager. He asked a single question. Given a tree, write a code to check if it is a binary search tree or not. He gave me 15 minutes and after that discussed my code and alternate solutions. Overall, the hotel they made me stay, the office environment, HR and the level of interview questions were all great. I had a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Find intersection of two integer sets.   Answer Question
    • Write a function to check if a given tree is a valid binary search tree or not.   2 Answers

Had a better offer.

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview

I met them at a job fair and submitted my resume. Was called for an in person interview the next day. Had a one hour technical interview with two recruiters. Asked a variety of algorithm questions and brain teaser questions. Did not answer the questions very well, and did not expect an offer. Did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• You have 50 coins in a dark room and you cannot see the coins, only feel them. You know there are 30 heads, and 20 tails. How can you split up the coins into two groups and guarantee that both piles have the same amount of tails? You cannot determine the side of the coin by touch and you are allowed to flip coins if you want to.   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with Bloomberg in February 2013. I had applied online through their careers website. A couple of weeks later they setup a phone interview for me. It was a technical interview and I had expected a lot Data-Structures and algorithms related questions. However, to my surprise the interviewer didn't ask me to write any code at all. We first spoke about my resume for sometime. After that he gave me a system design question. He basically wanted me to tell him what data structures I'll use, what kind of challenges I'll face when designing such a system and how I'll overcome those challenges. The interviewer was very nice and it was more of a discussion than an interview which was nice. 3 weeks later I got an email saying that they are coming to my campus and wanted to know if I'll be available for an interview. This time there were two interviewers. They started by asking me questions about my past projects and internships. The interviewers were a bit unprofessional in the sense that while I was answering one person's question the other person would suddenly change the question and ask something else. They asked quite a few data-structures and algorithms related questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the LCM of two given numbers using c++. Find the common elements of two linked lists when- (a) They are not sorted (b) They are sorted Time efficiency of BST. Give an example of a BST when the search time would be O(n). Given a large data-set, how would you store it on your computer. Questions related to hash-maps.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Had an initial phone interview and then an on site interview. The phone interview was pretty standard questions about C and C++ with some string parsing. On site was 4 rounds, 2 rounds of engineers, 1 round of management and 1 round with HR. The onsite questions were challenging but the people were nice and it was fair. Lots of questions about hash tables and I had to talk about synchronization a fair deal. They were very aggressive with the questioning. If you said something you were expected to back it up and even if you were right, they tried to make you feel like you could be wrong and see if you could really defend your position. A lot of the questions started out not too difficult and then got harder as the interviewers imposed additional restrictions. It seemed like they really wanted to see if you could come at a problem from multiple points of view. A solid understanding of data structures and basic algorithms as well as flexibility to modify what you already know on the fly will serve you well.

Interview Questions

• A technical question about traversing a made up data structure somewhat similar to a binary tree but with additional restrictions. Was not too difficult to do recursively but then they asked for an iterative solution which was more challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Gainesville, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

Talked to them at career showcase first semester,didn't get an interview, but the following semester got an e-mail for an interview request. Had 4 on campus interview. Two of the interview were with 2 people and the other were with one person. Interviews were pretty difficult.

Interview Questions

• Given an array rotate it 90 degrees   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied Online, Got contacted by the recruiter 1 week later and scheduled for an on-campus interview. The interviewers were really friendly but the interview was focused entirely on programming questions.

Interview Questions

• Write the program to merge 2 sorted lists.   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online only by submitting the CV. I got programmed for a telephone interview which I managed to pass in late December. The telephone interview was quite nice, the guy asked me a bit about why I wanted to join Bloomberg and some technical questions. I was appointed for an in-house interview in January. The interview was mostly technical, finishing with a small chat with the recruiter at the end about why I wanted to join the company and what's the difference between the other places I've applied to and Bloomberg.

Interview Questions

• Classic one from them: You have an array and you want to find the first non-repeating element.   2 Answers
    • What do you do when your hashtable becomes exhausted?   1 Answer
    • You have a linked list. How would you detect a loop in it, without using DFS of BFS?   1 Answer
    • How does Java Garbage Collection work? How would you implement garbage collection?   1 Answer
    • Would Java Bytecode generated by Java 7 work on a JVM made to function on Java 1.0?   2 Answers

I've got an offer from a hedge fund which I wanted to take. The pay was better and I also think they're more techy then Bloomberg. I was a bit discouraged when I found out that at Bloomberg, they don't tweak the code to be time-space efficient, they just make it be correct and fullstop.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

Bloomberg was very prompt when it came to communication. I already had another offer and had to respond pretty much within a week, and the company accommodated for me by fitting in my three rounds of interviews into 2 days. Each interview was an hour long; the first two were technical interviews, and the last one was an HR/personality interview. They got back to me in two business days of my last interview.

Interview Questions

• Suppose there is a rectangular map where you can only travel up or right to go from a start location in the bottom left corner to the top right corner, and each move is discrete. Write a program that prints all possible solutions to get from the start to finish.   4 Answers