Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com

Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Intern Interview Questions in United Kingdom

3.2

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2013.

My phone interview was on standard questions on pointers, arrays, multiple inheritance, polymorphism. I could answer algorithm questions with relative ease, but was unable to answer commonly used syntax for linux as I do not use it on a daily basis. Could have googled the answers easily but I decided not to do so.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing unexpected, but I was hoping Bloomberg would focus more on thinking questions rather than syntax which comes from experience.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

Phone Interview
    In-House Interrview

Financial Software Developer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Telephone Interview - the common Q "why bloomberg?", some Q's about C (stack, heap, what's a pointer), some Q's about Java and preferred Data Structure (mine was HashMap) and then the interviewer asked me if I have Qs for him. It went well and they asked me to come to on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember quite well, there were 2 questions were I didn't know the answer and I admitted that and then I said how I think things should be, and the interviewer told me I was right.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

I applied online only by submitting the CV. I got programmed for a telephone interview which I managed to pass in late December. The telephone interview was quite nice, the guy asked me a bit about why I wanted to join Bloomberg and some technical questions. I was appointed for an in-house interview in January. The interview was mostly technical, finishing with a small chat with the recruiter at the end about why I wanted to join the company and what's the difference between the other places I've applied to and Bloomberg.

Interview Questions
    • Classic one from them: You have an array and you want to find the first non-repeating element.   View Answers (2)
    • What do you do when your hashtable becomes exhausted?   View Answer
    • You have a linked list. How would you detect a loop in it, without using DFS of BFS?   View Answer
    • How does Java Garbage Collection work? How would you implement garbage collection?   View Answer
    • Would Java Bytecode generated by Java 7 work on a JVM made to function on Java 1.0?   View Answers (2)

I've got an offer from a hedge fund which I wanted to take. The pay was better and I also think they're more techy then Bloomberg. I was a bit discouraged when I found out that at Bloomberg, they don't tweak the code to be time-space efficient, they just make it be correct and fullstop.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

Online application (CV, Cover Letter)
    Phone interview: Motivation( Why?...) and Technical Stuff on C++, (preferred language): Pointers, references, OOP...
    Onsite interview: Only Technical ; Beautiful Offices in London, looked like a hall in Star Wars, Free Coffee Snack, Dress code: both Business casual (for the finance guys) and relax for the Software people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2012.

I applied to this position online for a six month placement scheme. I was then called up for a phone interview. I must note that the questions asked will be directly related to what you have put on your CV. I listed being proficient in C++ and a beginner in Java, and this was where the format of the phone interview went with.

The phone interview was mostly technical in nature. Nothing very difficult. Basic conceptual stuff like: differences between references and pointers, dangers of pointers, how to initialise references in a class, on multiple inheritance in C++, on some basic OOP concepts like encapsulation, abstraction etc, differences between new and malloc. Basically, if you have coded sufficiently in C++, the interview will be a no-brainer.

Then I was offered an in house interview.

The in-house interview took place at their corporate HQ in London. Three bunch of people you talk to: the junior developers, then a more senior developer and finally a recruiting team person.

The junior developers tested me on some code related to determining the type and values of some C variables. The variables were a mix of pointer arithmetic, character arrays and access arrays via index and by pointer arithmetic. They then asked me a simple algorithm on calculating the maximum consecutive recurring string of characters in a given string. Nothing too difficult. They asked some of the repeated questions from the phone interview.

The interview with the senior developer was slightly more difficult. He started out asking me on how I would calculate the square root of a number.

The final person during the interview was with the recruiting officer who asked me standard questions like why I want to work at Bloomberg, what I see myself in a few years time, and some questions on motivation and work ethics amongst other things like leadership.

Got a call within 48 hours on the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How to calculate the square root of a number?   View Answer

Undecided as of now. But this is what I am thinking: While Bloomberg is a very nice company, I find it a little corporate for my tastes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2012.

The phone Interview took 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about things not covered yet, or not present in CV.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

The interview process consisted of:
    1. sending your cv through their careers website
    2. completing an online computer science / programming test
    3. three interviews on-site

1. Not much to say about the first phase, you send the documents and they get back to you - possibly with a link to their test (for which you have about 3 days to complete).

2. The test consists of 30 multiple choice questions (5 answers). There's 3 minutes for each question and you can't go back. I don't know if speed is a factor in your assessment. At the end of the test you get your result. Again, in a couple of days they get back to you and if you were successful, they invite you to their office.

3. The first interview is with two junior developers, the second with a senior developer and the final one is with HR.

The technical questions involve much rather low-level concepts. Implementing compilers, garbage collection, data structures, solving algorithmic problems, analysing complexity, memory management in C is a basic list of issues that we've covered in the two interviews. Know your stuff and be confident - they will challenge your choices and decisions even if they're right. They want to be sure you know why you made your choice, that there is a good reason and that you can explain that reason.

Generally, I liked the process very much. It's down to earth, you don't need to write a novel answering pointless questions in a 50-page application form, the technical questions aren't concerned with knowledge of syntax but with concepts. The people I had contact very extremely nice and provided exhaustive answers to all my questions (a lot of them).

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement a garbage collector? Explain the most popular approaches, discuss their pros and cons. Discuss the data structures you would use for the implementations and the reasons for your choices.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of integers, provide an efficient way of finding an integer that appears only once in this array.   View Answer