Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014

3.2

253 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Had four on-campus interviews following a career fair--three technical and one with an HR guy. I was allowed to use any language. There were six questions. Two were about implementing some common function, such as a String class constructor. One required partitioning a list around a given element. One required merging two schedules that might overlap in some parts into one schedule. The last two are described below.

Interview Questions
  • You're given a binary tree--not necessarily complete or proper--and you need to give each node a "friend" pointer that points to the node to its right in the tree. This node is on the same level but is not necessarily a sibling, which makes the problem a little tricky. The friend pointer of the node farthest to the right on each level should be null.   View Answer
  • You're given two arrays of the same size filled with positive integers, and an integer 0 <= N <= 255. You need to determine whether N can be written as the sum of some number from the first array and some number from the second array.   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

One 45 min phone interview followed by on site interview with three team members.

The phone interview was quite easy. Standard technical C++ questions related to exceptions (what happens when a destructor or constructor throw one, what are virtual functions, etc). Nothing very difficult. He also asked what books about C++ and which important C++ people/blogs I follow.

In person interview went well I thought. The first interviewer asked me to implement merge sort. The other question was to find k largest values in a very big vector efficiently. The second interviewer asked me to design an interface to a function (or a class) that finds a zero of a give function and he wanted to see the most general interface possible. The third interviewer, the guy who I had the phone interview with asked me about smart pointers and writing an exception safe assignment operator. All three were very nice and guided me through the process. I did stumble on few of the questions but eventually ended up answering all of them.

Interview Questions
    • C++ template metaprogramming (that team was into functional programming and compile time computations). Standard, find nth Fibonacci number using recursive templates.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied online near the end of August and they got back to me about 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for about a week later. He asked a pretty standard interview question, and I coded it up online where he could see (I think it was on a HackerRank page). I thought they prefered C++, but he asked me if I wanted to do it in Java and I said yes because I'm more comfortable with that. I don't actually think that hurt my chances in any way. That question went fine, and then he asked me a few follow ups about scalability and bugs to check for. Then he went into some very specific C++ questions, which I stumbled through since I had only taken a semester of C++. Somehow I passed that interview and made it to the in-house. About a week later, my recruiter asked me which of 3 days I preferred to come to NYC and interview. A few days later they made travel arrangements. During the in-house interview, they give you a little tour of the office first then you meet with your interviewers and go to a conference room. Again, questions were very standard. You have to do them on a sheet of paper. The first interview there were 2 engineers, and they asked me 3 technical questions. I blanked out especially on the first question even though it was pretty easy. The second interview was just one person, and he asked me a fairly easy question, which I got right away and he said that was all he had for me so we talked for a bit before he let me out. Interviews themselves took about 2 hours total (but there's a small break in between). A week later, I got rejected--not unexpected considering I didn't do well on the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • The C++ specific things really threw me off. Other than that everything was very standard.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Took 2 weeks for the recruiter to call me and then a week later the interview was scheduled. Questions were easy c/c++ based questions but tricky in the sense that they were not logic based but relied on your level of preparation in that area.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when you assign a string literal to a pointer using strcpy   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

This was in a college on campus career fair. It was not an interview call.

How to remove duplicates from a linked list ? Use of Hashmap

Basics of Depth first search and Breadth first search? Which data structure to represent each of them?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

From the online application (bloomberg website) to the phone interview took around 4 weeks (a first interview was scheduled within 2 weeks but the interviewer didn't call so we rescheduled). The phone interview was quite straightforward and I was asked the following questions
    1- Kind of a strange question. Generate all 3-digit combinations of 1-9 but not repeats in the sense that if you have 123, then 231, 321, etc. are not allowed. [nested for loops]
    2- Reverse a given sentence (no use of library methods, arbitrary spaces between words). Make it faster. [start at the end and find and print words one-by-one].
    3- You are given a 3L and a 5L container and unlimited supply of water. How to make 1L?[I found a longer solution but the short on is pour 3L into 5 twice.]
    4- A program/algorithm which given mL and nL buckets figures out how (if possible) make kL. [we discussed the solution and the interviewer was nice and gave me a hint. Its a DP problem].

The next day, I received and invitation for on-site interview. The travel schedule part was straightforward and convenient.
    I was invited to the NY office. There was a group of around 30 people like me. They hold you for a few minuts to issue a security badge. Then there is a tour about all the 31 or so aquariums and fishes at bloomberg. Eventually, there is breakfast and then the interviews come find you. There is 4 rounds of interview. Rounds 1-2 are technical, 3 is management, and 4 is HR.
    Some questions I remember:
    1- Find shortest path on a chessboard from low left corner to top right. You can move right and top only and some cells are inaccessible (DFS).
    2- You have sorted arrays A and B with sizes m and n. Assume at the end of array "A" you have "n" empty slots. How to merge with minimum number of operations (start at the end instead of beginning). Prove it works (induction).
    3- Some runners running in a field with some "k" sensors. We get events of runnings locations. How to print the top "m" runners? (array of lists or hash table of lists depending on the location of the sensors. each list is one sensor). Some questions on how to identify the ordering within each list.
    4- CPU Cache implementation. How to implement the least frequently used procedure.
    5- Scheduling some jobs over "m" servers. Centralized vs distributed implementation? How to implement.

The management interview was interesting and I liked the two managers. HR was fine too. I did not do any negotiations.

Interview Questions
    • The chessboard problem. I first mentioned BFS and use of a Queue but the interviewer kept asking about some data structure with less memory that I could extract due to the simple structure of the graph. I did not understand what he meant. I eventually mentioned DFS and proved it works uses less memory.
      The cache problem took a long time. I kind of though I failed it at some point. I had no prior knowledge of the topic since I am not a CS guy. I eventually, used an array to store the access time to different items and O(n) search through it to find the least frequently used one. The interviewer did not raise the complexity. He wanted me to write code on a paper (which is hard, esp. in C).
        View Answer
    I did not do any negotiations. I accepted the offer for some time in the future since I need to resolve the visa part.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Had two round interview... first round was very straightforward, asked typical data structure, graph search, and object oriented questions (linked lists, depth first search, memoization, classes). Second round was much harder, with algorithmically complicated coding problems (the naive solution was usually easy, but the interviewer would then press on for a much more difficult solution)

Interview Questions
    • Counting the number of anagrams of one string in another string   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

One phone interview and one on site (3 interviewers) plus HR review. Three interviewers are two developer and one manager. Then you get the offer and they do all background checks etc.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation room for junior hire

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online and was contacted a few days later asking to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The interviewer was very nice - asked mostly about my background and a few simple data structures questions.

Interview Questions
    • How is memory stored?
      Difference between array and linked list?
      Binary search tree traversal
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Applied Online and wait for about 2 days then got an e-mail for a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Some basic data structure questions and OOD questions. The last question was to find out the largest 2 numbers in a given array. Then I was invited to take an in-house interview in New York.

In-house Interview: Four rounds, 7 interviewers.
    First round: 3 interviewers asked something from the resume and then some basic algorithm problem and system design problem.

Second round: 2 interviewers asked all algorithm problems. Nothing is difficult except one problem that is "Find longest palindrome in a given string in less than O(n*n) time". And I've been struggled for a long time on this.

Third round: 1 senior manager asked some behavior questions and one system design problem. I think I spent too much time on thinking how to optimize the data structure but at the end I realize that in the interviewer's mind, we didn't need to care how the front-end system deliver data to users just by assuming that the server would handle all the requests.

Fourth round: 1 HR asked something on the resume and things about the position. I was very happy for getting in this round since from the information I've got from this website that about 90% candidates getting in this round would get a job offer. And I do like Bloomberg and want to work there sincerely. Besides, all the interviewers are very nice and I like them. So I was shocked and very upset when I got the "Thank You" email in my box today (3 days after the in house interview). And I'm still very sad now.

I hope that this experience will help.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Find out the longest palindrome in a given string in less than O(n*n) time.
      2. Design a system that can deliver the newest price of stocks to users.
        Answer Question