Bloomberg L.P.

Getting the Interview

240 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed on campus ( University of Maryland ,college park ) . I got a call through career fair . The first interview happened at the fair itself, I was asked a simple mathematical questions , and a simple programming questions .
Then there were 2 back to back tech interview . Some of the questions that were asked :
          Given a list of exchange rates , between several currencies . Find out if it is possible to profit while moving through currency , exchanging , and ending up at the same currency you started with .
          There was a question about implementing vectors ( from STL ) .
         To implement a queue by using stacks .

Third interview was a not really technical although person asked me about python , asked me to write some basic code in python .

Interview Question – The question about inner workings of templates in C++, syntax etc , was unexpected . I had coded and prepared from a more algorithm and data structure point of view . I knew some these c++ internals , but that was not the skill i was showcasing . I have given other interviews , and such software companies ,rarely ask these language specific questions . As a result whatever interviews i gave post this one , i claimed to know only C, lol.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not do much negotiation . I had only one offer back then .

Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went to my school career fair, and I got an interview with Bloomberg by talking to them and solving their problems in place. There were 2 rounds; each round they asked me technical questions about hash tables, linked lists and also behavioral questions like "Have you ever imagined what you would do in our company?"

Financial Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied Online...

Phone Interview.. Not difficult.
Question 1: Why make data members private and access them using getter and setter methods when you can access them directly by making them public.
Question 2 : Given stock prices of n days. Find when to buy and when to sell stock in order to gain maximum profit
Question 3 : Given an array of size greater than 'x' and a range 0 to x . Find duplicate elements in the array. Hint. You can destroy the array but the solution should use O(1) space and O(n) time where n is the size of the array.

On Site Interview:

Interview 1 :
Interview with 2 software developers
Started with some questions related to my projects
Q1 : Diamond Inheritance Problem in C++. Use of virtual keyword. And how are things handled internally. Basically checked my understanding of vtable

Q2 : Can you use virtual keyword with destructors?

Q3 : Given heads of two linked lists. Find if the two linked lists intersect.
Solution should not use extra memory.

Q4 : Reverse linked list. Tested concepts of double pointers, pass by value and pass by reference.

Interview 2 :
Interview with 2 software developers
Q1 : In what case would you use BST over a hash table..
Q2 : Insertion in BST
Q3 : Find 'k'th smallest element in BST. What extra information would you require here
Q4: Given a string which has a lot of spaces beween words . Remove these extra spaces in the string
 eg: " I love New York " --> "I love New York"
Q4 : You get an input in the form [2 lowercase characters , A number] .. eg [aa,10] , [bd, 12]..
Given a two letter input, find the last 10 numbers associated with the string..
Design a data structure to implement this without using STL. Basically I was asked to design a hash function.

Interview 3 :
Interview was with a project manager

Q1 : Find the first distinct element in an array
Q2 : C++ does not have byte datatype. How would you create this datatype.
Q3 : Lets say I have a code currently executing on my machine. I overwrite the code with a newer version. But the older version is still executing. Why do you think this is happening.

Interview 4 :
Interview with HR
General HR Interview

Interview Question – Given heads of two linked lists. Find if the two linked lists intersect.
Solution should not use extra memory.
  View Answers (6)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online and wait for about 2 days then got an e-mail for a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Some basic data structure questions and OOD questions. The last question was to find out the largest 2 numbers in a given array. Then I was invited to take an in-house interview in New York.

In-house Interview: Four rounds, 7 interviewers.
First round: 3 interviewers asked something from the resume and then some basic algorithm problem and system design problem.

Second round: 2 interviewers asked all algorithm problems. Nothing is difficult except one problem that is "Find longest palindrome in a given string in less than O(n*n) time". And I've been struggled for a long time on this.

Third round: 1 senior manager asked some behavior questions and one system design problem. I think I spent too much time on thinking how to optimize the data structure but at the end I realize that in the interviewer's mind, we didn't need to care how the front-end system deliver data to users just by assuming that the server would handle all the requests.

Fourth round: 1 HR asked something on the resume and things about the position. I was very happy for getting in this round since from the information I've got from this website that about 90% candidates getting in this round would get a job offer. And I do like Bloomberg and want to work there sincerely. Besides, all the interviewers are very nice and I like them. So I was shocked and very upset when I got the "Thank You" email in my box today (3 days after the in house interview). And I'm still very sad now.

I hope that this experience will help.

Interview Question – 1. Find out the longest palindrome in a given string in less than O(n*n) time.
2. Design a system that can deliver the newest price of stocks to users.
  Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter two days later. The position involved 6 months training and did not require software development experience. After a phone interview I was called back the next day and they flew me to New York and had a car waiting at Laguardia for me. After two technical interviews involving brain teasers and coursework I was sent on my way. It was clear the position was not a fit from the interviews, but they gave me a $100 gift card for expenses and sent me on my way. Not offered the position.

Interview Question – They asked a combinatorics question during the phone interview asking to count the number of ways an ant could crawl from one point to another in a grid.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied at Career Fair and then I got a phone interview. The phone interview is not hard. All he asked is basic C/C++ question and data structure questions. Q1, merge two sorted array. Q2, pointers in C++. Q3, OO design.

Interview Question – No   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through college career fare , received a mail to schedule a phone interview , pretty standard coding questions , refer careercup , on site call to new york , kind of cheap on travel and food , my both interviewers were canadians , very friendly kept on dropping hints through out the process wen i was stuck

Interview Questions

• gave me a tree of 3 level and provided me a number that contains the level number and asked me to code a program that would print the nodes on that level in the tree.   View Answer
  • gave me a Uint of 1 byte and asked me to match it with pattern of 10101 bits in the content of Uint given through a function called getbits().   View Answer

Financial Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Interview Details – I submit my resume during career fair and through website. Then I got two interviews at campus. Today,i 'm going to NY to have my third interview.

Interview Question – The first interview has two questions, the first asked me to design an algorithms to draw a spiral with 90 degrees turn. Then second one asked me to design a class to add data to an array and delete data. In the second interview, the first question asked me to design an algorithms to calculate the area of a space. I was given only one function, which return a vector contains spaces that randomly splited, or 1 if if contains only one pieces of space with only 1 unit area; The second question is to define how two binary trees are equal, then write a function to define that.   View Answer

Financial Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – C++ questions, like sizeof implementation, swap code. Simple questions but they expect thorough answers.
Maximize profit given a sequence of daily prices by buying and selling only once each.
Describe your most complicated work.
One interviewer tried to test my bias for action and if I have an urgency to do something quick and finish the goals

Interview Question – generic swap   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non-negotiable

Financial Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process was pretty straightforward, I applied through their career link and few days later had a phone interview consisiting of just one technical question and they kept digging into the solution.

Interview Question – US football teams and ranks based on them? Display the top 10 teams?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer interview questions and advice. All 240 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.