Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Average Difficulty
245 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2008.

Interview Details – I took an online C++ test, which is very difficult, a lot of stuff on advanced C++ concepts.

Interview Question – generic programming, template things   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for a Financial Software Development entry level position and when filling my application they asked my strongest programming language among c,c++, and Java. As I had previous experience with Java I selected it as my strongest language. The following day they sent me an email with instructions to take an online skills assessment. Reading this forum, I practiced a few IQ/Intelligence test with good results so I felt confident to take the test. I took the test and to my surprise it was all Java programming questions (syncronisation, inheritance, interfaces, polymorphism, analysing pieces of code, etc). The questions where very specific and not about general OO programming concepts eg. Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior? As I've been out of practice a bit in hands on programming I really struggled with the test. Basically I didn't remember clearly the syntax and got confused with some sentences. My recommendation is that you should study throughly your programming language selection and be ready for tricky questions.

Interview Questions

• Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior?
    What support does java.io have for preventing malicious code from altering Serialized Objects?
      Answer Question
  • When using an ArrayList as the implementation for a list collection, what happens if adding an element exceeds the ArrayList's capacity?   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through college career site.
Emailed me a few weeks later about taking an Intelligence Test, which was of average difficulty, some simple questions, some doozies like on a MENSA test, some annoying ones about finding the number of "h"s in a paragraph etc etc. Apparently I did well enough.

Got a request for a phone interview a week or so later. The phone interview consisted first of talking about certain projects and work experience on my resume, then some programming related questions based on my couple of programming courses, and a couple of brain teaser/puzzles. Use techinterview(dot)com for an excellent resource for these types of questions. I wasn't quite able to answer one of the questions fully, but I talked through the entire thing and got frustratingly close. Very nice interviewer though, helped me out on questions I struggled with.

Invited for an on-site interview, where they flew me in and put me up in a pretty nice hotel a few blocks away from the office. Very nice building, great atmosphere, glass doors in all the meeting rooms, cool stuff. First interview was with 2 software devs, who grilled me on a lot of C++ concepts (especially memory management and pointers), that I claimed to know from my self-study, but realized very quickly that I really didn't have a grasp on. it was very difficult for me, but should be a cakewalk for most people experienced in C++. I personally thought I did terribly on this portion of the interview. Be ready to write code on a notepad. One of the interviewers was really nice and helpful, the other seemed like he was having a bad day, and my inability to answer some of his questions quickly seemed to frustrate him even more.

Next was a 1:1 with a manager in R&D, who asked me more brain teasers and a few more programming questions, which started off badly like the first interview, but got progressively better.

Finally, there was a 1:1 with someone from HR, who asked a simple data structure concept question, but focused more on my resume, past experience, and other typical HR questions. He was really relaxed and put me at ease after a rigorous first couple of rounds of interviews.

Advice: Brush up on whichever programming language you are most comfortable with. Don't lie about this! Like very basic theory and syntax, and those little nuances that you might be asked on an AP CS test or an intro CS test in college. Even if one of the on-site interviews goes badly, regroup between rounds and knock the next one out, and they will vouch for you (believe me...)

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between Java and C++?   View Answer
  • Given an array of integers, write an algorithm to find the largest sum of consecutive integers in the array.   Answer Question
  • Describe how you would implement a HUGE phone book where a user would enter the first three letters of a name and the program retrieve all names with those first three letters as fast as possible.   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2008.

Interview Details – 30 minute phone interview, followed by in-house interview.
I lasted 3-4 hours and consisted of 3 technical and 1 HR interview.
Typical questions asked were about programming, puzzles, algorithms, etc

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate

Financial Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Campus hiring , two days of interviews. But only 4 interviews. Good technical rounds , all in C++.
1. Code for merging two sorted linked lists.
2. Given a iterator access, how do you print data in circular fashion on the screen.
3. Given two numbers with each digit in single node of a linked list, how do you add the numbers.
4. Optimal code for Fibonacci number generation.

Interview Question – Why bloomberg and how do you think this job will help your career.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – The process started with visiting the Bloomberg LP booth at my university. I gave them my resume and we discussed a project or two. I then asked if they were doing interviews on campus and they told me yes. Before I could get a campus interview, I had to answer a few questions at the booth. These questions were brain teasers and C++ specific language questions. Upon impressing the recruiters at the booth, I was offered the on-campus interview.

Next, I met with two campus recruiters about a week or two later when they were in town. It was a technical interview with a few HR undertones to see if I had done my research. Questions were mostly based on system architecture: "how would you design a stock tracking system...?" and data structures: "how would you implement a queue using only the stack data structure?"

A couple weeks later, I heard from an HR representative who invited me to an on-site interview. They flew me to New York and I stayed in a hotel the night before the interview. I got to Bloomberg Tower at 10:30 am and the interview was at 11:00 am. You will be asked to check in at the front desk 15 minutes before your interview. You will have your picture taken and they will print a visitors badge for you. Then you will go up to the sixth floor and wait for your host to come greet you. My host came for me a couple minutes later and took me to a conference room on the 23rd floor of the building. The view was phenomenal. I had a fantastic view of Manhattan and Central Park.

The first interview was 2-on-1. One of the interviewers was a project lead and the other was more fresh. They started with the some questions about me and my resume. I got to tell them about my favorite project and show some enthusiasm for my work. Next they asked some technical questions. Specifically the questions were algorithms and data structures questions.

The next interview was 1-on-1 with someone more senior. From what I gathered he was a team lead - mobile development if I recall correctly. His questions were very direct and he made it clear that he was not trying to trip me up or ask me trick questions. He was very blunt but it was one of the best interviews I have had because the pressure was on and I had to think on my toes. His questions were of an HR nature mostly. The toughest and most surprising question he asked was "There are many large companies with many of the same things to offer as Bloomberg LP in the city, eg Google. If a friend was there and mentioned they had opportunities available, would you pursue an opportunity there?" See the answer below. After the HR questions, the interviewer asked me a number of coding questions ie find the bug in this code.

The last interview was strictly HR stuff - including the dreaded "do you have any expectations with respect to compensation?" I used some of my knowledge from this website to answer with a range and tell her that I expect at least the average salary to be competitive. The HR interviewer said they routinely offer higher than the number I requested.

At the end of every interview I was given the opportunity to ask questions.

I heard from HR in only 3 business days with an offer.

Interview Question – There are many large companies with many of the same things to offer as Bloomberg LP in the city, eg Google. If a friend was there and mentioned they had opportunities available, would you pursue an opportunity there?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They gave me more than a month and a half to accept their offer. I have yet to negotiate and I probably will not - given that their offer was better than I was hoping for.

Financial Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – Campus interview

1. Summation of 2 numbers to X in a given list of Numbers
2. Longest Palindrome Substring
3. Design of Datastructure : to have O(1) - access, delete. recently used

Onsite Interview

1. last integer remaining in a number list of 100 if every number were to shoot his neighbour in cyclic fashion
eg 1->2->3->5->6->7->8->9->10->1

2. reverse number

3. to chose when to buy/sell given a forecast of next N days's prices of given stock , u are allowed to buy/sell only one stock multiple number of times.
objective - maximize profit

Interview Question – __   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – First Contacted by HR, Discussed little technical topics and more on the resume.
2nd technical interview for an hour, asked questions listed below:

1. about merging in linklist
2.cycle in linked list
3. Perfect shuffle of cards
4. First repeating number in array
5. Mising and repeating number in array for different ranges.
6. Design of CHESS with some variation.(like intrducng new pieces n new rules)

Interview Question – Design the ChEss board game- actually askd to write some code.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process is pretty streamlined. Usually u go through an online programming oriented test, then a phone interview and then in-house interviews. All of the interviews are very technical in nature strictly programming/db specific and only if u make through technical stuff u get to go through a mild HR/behavioral sort of interview.

Interview Question – Dont remember specific questions but prepare urself for hardcore programming, problem solving, databases and best practices stuff.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2008.

Interview Details – On campus interviews or phone interviews + in house interviews is the typical process. Usually 2 technical rounds of 1 hour each. You will need to write code on paper. Questions cover c,c++, data structures, algorithms, problem solving etc. Interviews are very technical but do not underestimate HR interviews as well.

Interview Question – Why is your GPA not 4, design an elevator system.   Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!