Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

It was the standard procedure. First a phone interview and then interview at their headquarters in NYC. Not particularly difficult. I enjoyed the trip to NYC. They asked me brain teasers some programming questions in C++ and some algorithms questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Phone interview starting with "Why Bloomberg", moving on to a discussion of language features of Java and C++, a question about data structures, then two coding questions on HackerRank. Not very difficult, it was more or less a basic competency test.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

On campus interview. I applied through career fair. They gave me an on campus the next day. Interview was with two people. Fairly direct and straightfoward. The interview itself was about 45 minutes. I assume if you continued they would have a back to back interview afterwards

Interview Questions
    • Find the smallest two values in an array   View Answer
    • How to tell if a series of parenthesis is valid   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I got an on campus interview and the recruiter ask me several technical questions. I think it is a basic algorithm and I answered it. The people are very nice and friendly.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

Got a call to come to an interview for technical skills and learn about what Bloomberg software engineering has to offer me. This all started from putting my name in their pool at an on-campus career fair. The interview itself was very friendly and they helped me through problems and I enjoyed the interview proccess, unfortunately I did not do as well as I would have liked because it was my first coding interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of 99 numbers 1-100 find the missing number.   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2014.

Met the recruiters at the career fair. The initial screen was pretty easy. The next day met with a panel of interviewers which lasted an hour. Was pretty nervous and stumbled even for easier ones. Did not expect behavioral from technical panel who thought I was nervous and tried to ease the pressure.

Interview Questions
    • Given a stream of integers, how do you find the median of the numbers? Follow Up: Consider the functionality for a corp., to find the median of company, what is the most time effective way of doing it? Now, if having similar functionalities such as average, min, max, variance, etc. what data structures would you use?   View Answer
    • Generate a random stream of integers without using rand(). Follow Up: What modifications should be done to the program if to generate random stream of integers within limits (max, min) inclusive?   Answer Question
    • Given a string, find the longest contiguous sequence of strings without using additional memory; one or two variables are fine. Pick any one if a tie. e.g. sbcsdfaaiwer; ans: aa   Answer Question
    • Behavioral: What if your manager goes against your decision? Who will you consult and what is the best thing to do if you think that you are right in this case?   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Applied online. Got a technical coding question on phone interview and a question on general data structures. After two days, heard back from them asking me to fly to NY for an in-house interview.

Interview Questions
    • Find repeating characters in string. Count occurrences of number in a stream of numbers. Print elements of a linked list in a particular order. Eg: 2-4-5-6-7-10-13 . output - "2,4-7,10,13". If the numbers are consecutive print the starting and ending number of the range, otherwise print the numbers as such in the form of string   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied online on Bloomberg's website. Got back from an HR in 3 weeks. After that, there were 2 technical phone interviews and 1 on-site interview including technical interviews and behavioral interview. All those people from Bloomberg are patient and super nice. Visited Bloomberg headquarter during on-site interview, great experience! Top 1 choice if you want to work in a financial-related IT company in NYC!

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

The interview was a phone screen. It started with introduction and questions over resume and projects undertaken followed by asking choice of language. On a shared editor, I was asked to write a function for itoa(). It ended with questions about Bloomberg and why bloomberg?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

Applied online, got through the phone interview and went to an in-house interview. First round was with two interviewers, two questions: one designing a hash function and the other writing a function to determine if the input is a palindrome. Then the second round only one interviewer came in, and at that moment I knew that I didn't get the position, because normally there are two interviewers. Second round ended quick like in 30 minutes and the interviewer let me out saying HR will contact in a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Designing a hash function.
      Determining if the input is a palindrome.

Answer Question