Bloomberg L.P.

3.3

264 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

I got the interview from a on-campus career fair. The first day was pretty easy. The interviewer started off asking me about what I knew about the company, what I would do in the company if I got a job offer. Then, he asked me a simple but required logic thinking + correct implementation on the spot problem that I have never seen. At the end of the interview, he set me up to the 2nd interview which was the day right after it. The second interviewer asked me the same behavioral questions, and he gave me a problem about hash table, another problem about linked list. I got a rejection a week after that.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Technical Phone interview
    Ask a lot of basic C++/Java Qs
    Like what is static , constructor , OOP , final , name some datatypes .... etc

followed by hashing Question
    then Write code to calculate the square root of a number

Interview Questions
    next step was video conference interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

I met the Bloomberg team at a YHack 2014, and was immediately impressed by the product. I applied that year, and received a phone interview, which contained mostly algorithmic questions. This year, I applied again, received a phone interview, and was asked questions questions of the same variety (difference between C++ and Java, difference between a BST and a hash table). They also covered some aspects of my resume, and asked me to describe a project I had worked on, some challenges I faced, and how I overcame them. I heard back that same week that I'd received a campus interview with them in New York, which I've yet to attend.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between stack and heap memory   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

One technical screen followed by another nontechnical round with a manger. The first screen was your typical big company coding interview. The second round was about why I applied to Bloomberg and to see what my interests were.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Bloomberg over other companies?   Answer Question
    I was happy with the offer so I didn't negotiate.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2010.

First round asked for resume related stuff line by line and raised more question based on your answers. You have to be really familar with stuff you put on the resume. Second round is C++ technical questions. They asked extremely detailed specification of the language. You therefore have to be well prepared in C++ knowledge.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Company came to school career fair. Was contacted a few weeks after and was called for an on-campus interview. After the first interview, I was invited for another on-campus interview the next day (they flew from NY). Then I was flown to interview at HQ in NY and quickly thereafter got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Was expected to code and debug on a laptop.   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied online on a whim and got an e-mail response a few weeks later to set up a phone/technical interview. They hold technical interviews online through HackerRank. The interview began with three or four standard interview questions (questions about my resume, why Bloomberg, etc) which took about 5-minutes. The rest of the 45-minutes was all technical / algorithm stuff through HackerRank (see included questions). I struggled with the first (never really got anywhere) and then he told me to move on to the next one. Came up with an okay solution to the second one, O(n*log(n)), but he kept asking me if I could do it better. Ended up telling me a solution and then asking me to implement it (super simple).

Overall, I felt like I was being grilled the whole time and it seemed like he didn't care about what I was saying unless it was me getting the questions exactly right. I know I didn't do so great on the interview. Got an e-mail a few days later saying they weren't interested in moving forward.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Implement a queue using stacks
      2. Search through an array of integers and find pairs that add to a target

View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I met a Bloomberg recruiter at a career fair. Discussed 5 minutes about my resume (Previous work experience, Preferred programming languages, ...) and then scheduled two technical interviews the day after.

The first interview was with two young very cool guys from two different teams. I was asked basic (But sometimes tricky) questions about C and Java, mostly about memory allocation. I was also required to code a reverse string function, and to correct and improve an ugly piece of code written in C. They are definitely not here to trick you, and will guide you to the right solution if you make a mistake.

The second interview started with basic questions (Why Bloomberg, why do you want to be a software developer, ...), and I was then asked to design an algorithm (See below), and implement it in Java. As for the previous interview, the last 15 minutes were dedicated to a very nice conversation with the interviewer.

Two days letter I got contacted by a HR manager to schedule an interview with them. After a 10 minutes chat, they gave me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Design an algorithm to find the first unique element in an array.   View Answer
    • How is memory managed in Java. Explain what the garbage collector is.   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate here. The package offered by Bloomberg is incredibly high for an internship!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2013.

Applied online and received an email to set up an initial phone screening. It was frustrating as they contacted me for a different position than the one I applied for, and was unqualified for it.

First interview was a typical candidate screening, heavy on work experience and education from my resume, with some behavioral questions.

Made it to the next round which was a technical phone interview. The interviewer was very nice, guided me trough the questions, even explaining answers to the questions I did not know. As expected I did not move on the further rounds as my background did not fit and thus could not answer all of the questions posed.

Interview Questions
    • Very in depth CS questions on topics such as binary trees, algorithms, try/catch blocks, OOP, etc. If you come from a CS background (which I did not, despite having programming experience in my current position), these are your run of the mill questions for a software development position.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Applied Online. Scheduled 1st phone interview within two weeks of applying. Scheduled on-site a week later. Heard back about an offer two days after the on-site.

Very satisfied with the entire process. HR was fast and competent.

Phone screen consisted of two questions on HackerRank. First question was coding a typical technical question. Second question was a design question, no code.

Onsite was an onsite-day so there were many applicants interviewing at the same time (you still interview by yourself though). Four rounds in total. First two are 2:1 with engineers and very technical. You write code on pads of ~6x8 paper (wouldn't have been my medium of choice). 3rd round is a 1:1 with a senior engineer/engineer manager(?); no coding. 4th round is with HR.

Interviewers were very friendly and willing to nudge you if it looked like you were getting stuck. They all seemed very intelligent which was a bit intimidating. The questions were also interesting and fun. First round was more algorithms and second round more data structures but that may have just been a coincidence.