Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Nov 23, 2014

3.3

262 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2009.

The entire hiring process consisted of three phases.

The first phase is an online multiple choice test covering basic programming skills and questions on analytical thinking (of the type you'll normally see in a GRE or GMAT test). There were about 30-35 questions and I was given a maximum of 3 minutes for each question.
The second phase is a phone interview. They questioned me in detail about my resume, all my projects, and asked me to choose one from the different projects listed in my resume. They then went into quite some detail about the project, asking me to describe what I did, the major challenges, how I planned the development, and how I tested the code. After that were some basic technical questions. They will definitely ask you which programming languages among the ones listed on your resume you are most comfortable with and quiz you in detail about it. Since this round is on the phone, they normally will not ask you to write any code, nor will they give you any code. Apart from programming language concepts for one or two languages, there will be some questions on sorting and searching algorithms and data structures, like hash tables, BSTs and their complexities, their advantages, disadvantages etc.
The final phase consists of two or three in-house interviews.
There will be a round of HR interview which is usually 1:1. Be aware that I was asked in very minute details about everything on my resume. I did expect to be quizzed about these things, but not in such minute details. There are the usual HR questions like why do you want to join Bloomberg, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why should we hire you (asked in a very curt manner to really catch you off guard) etc. so be well prepared for those.
Then comes a technical interview round, which is usually conducted by two of their engineers. They will ask you which is the language or languages you are most proficient with, and then quiz you on that. Be aware that you should only say you are proficient in a certain language if you really are proficient in that. There are no bonus points for claiming to know more languages and then not being able to prove your proficiency, and if you can't you will most likely not be hired. The logic is that they want to know how good you really are in things you claim to be really good at. They will usually ask you to write code for two or three problems. They may start with a simple coding question, before moving on the more complicated programs (usually involving recursion or use of a data structure). The emphasis is on being able to write clean and efficient code, along with the use of an efficient algorithm for solving the problem. They will definitely ask you the reasoning behind writing the code (sometimes line by line). There is also emphasis on low level concepts (like how the stack, heap, data segment works, what's stored in there, how the Stack Pointer behaves in different situations etc). Along with writing code, they may write down some code snippets, and ask you if it will compile, if there are any errors, what those errors are, why they come out etc. My preferred languages were C and C++ so they asked me some seemingly odd code snippets to test my understanding of the mechanisms involved in inheritance, polymorphism, templates, operator overloading. There may also be a few questions on the STL. Also related to both containers and memory management will be questions about the ownership of pointers or objects placed in containers, what delete and new do etc. There will be questions related to algorithms and data structures as well. These could either be by themselves or they could be as a part of a programming problem. Be sure about the complexities of all the basic sorting and searching algorithms and data struct operations too since these may be useful is such situations. Finally, they will ask a few puzzles (usually just one or two) to test your problem solving capability. The entire interview will last about 1-1.5 hours (depending on how well you're doing). Most likely, the interviewers are going be really skeptical about your answers (regardless of whether you're screwing up or you're near perfect) - they want to know how confident you are about your answers. Don't panic, this is normal. Just be sure of what you're doing, and cross check your code before you tell them that it’s final.
If you manage to survive through this technical round there will be an interview conducted by a Sr. Manager. This one is comparatively low stress. Not too technical. Mostly they want to know how well you fit into the team, where you will fit in, your attitude etc. I would suggest that you talk about things like how you planned your projects, how you worked in a team during your project work etc. He/she may also ask you a puzzle/brain teaser, but I wasn't asked any. You are encouraged to ask questions about the position, the company, the work culture, the management etc.

Interview Questions
  • What is a singleton? How would you code it in C++? How can you make it thread safe?   Answer Question
Considering the current economic scenario and the job market, I decided not to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2009.

The first round was an online interview which was the toughest part of the process. They give a choice to take the interview in Java/C/C++/C# Once you clear the online test, rest is straight forward. A little preparation can go a long way - I found this site very helpful in preparing for the onsite and phone interviews - http://www.careercup.com/page?pid=bloomberg-lp-interview-questions - Most of the questions asked were standard programming interview type questions - with interviewers asking some probing questions based on your answers/solutions - trying to assess how you think/reason. From my experience, practicing/preparing such programming interview type questions helps a LOT !! It is otherwise difficult to think of solutions

Try not to get stressed out during the main technical round where 2-3 interviewers will collectively interview you. Even if you don't come up with a 100% right answer, still if you can think reasonably well, use logical abilities, you should be able to clear.
    Most of their work is in C/C++ - though if you have concepts clear with any other language (like Java), it wouldn't matter.

I also had an HR interview in the end - standard questions like why Bloomberg? Where do I see myself in the next 5 years? Why would you be a good fit for Bloomberg? I believe Technical interview was much more important for Bloomberg in their hiring criteria. HR interview was more of a formality.

Work culture - fast paced, busy - people working long hours in office daily, face time importance
    People - ok - didn't have much time for niceties or socializing - busy people ..didn't go out of their ways to make you feel welcome or at home.
    - Good compensation and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Something related to data structures - What would be the ideal data structure if you wanted to store millions of stock feeds - and retrieve them very fast based on time when the feeds came.   View Answers (2)
    • Simple function to add two numbers - try to think of all possible ways to debug it -   View Answer
    No. I received the same offer all other students from my university.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2008.

I took an online C++ test, which is very difficult, a lot of stuff on advanced C++ concepts.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2009.

First round is phone interview, second round is on-site. By the way, I apply an internship, not full time job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2009.

Initially there was a C++ Skill test. I had enough Brainbench C C++ free tests. So that really helped me a lot,. In Fact I noticed, some of the questions were as it is from Brainbench tests. I even remembered some of the answers. Each test had 40 questions. And I had 3 minutes for each question. I did well and as expected I got a call for phone technical screening in C++. Phone screening was almost 30 minutes long. Questions about Static members in class, static global variable in multiple files, virtual destructor, multi threading, big endian, little endian etc. I could answer some but not all. Hence that was it. Dint get anymore call. :(

Interview Questions
    • What is difference between Reentrant and Thread Safe functions ?   View Answers (2)
    • What is the difference between static global and normal global variables.   View Answers (2)

Financial Software Developer Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2009.

The online assessment test was sent to me a week after I submitted my resume. The questions consisted of analytical reasoning, process mapping, abstract thinking etc. There were a lot of questions involving turning shapes clockwise or counter clockwise in different angles , some other questions involved recognizing type of flowchart. I had one question to count the number of appearances of an alphabet and one counting written number denominations. Each questions took 3minutes. It is fairly okay and I was selected to go forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2009.

First met the company at our university career fair. I handed them my resume and soon after I was contacted for a live interview. The people who interviewed me were nice, but one of them was a little condescending. The first interview had two employees speaking with me. They asked technical questions about my skills. Then they presented some programming questions, which I thought were not too difficult. You had to use C++ to solve the problems. I started the interview really well, but got a little flustered towards the end. I think I did average.

The next day they called me back for a second round of interviews. This time the interviews were one on one. I first spoke with a senior developer who asked more technical questions. I felt that I did well in this part. Next, an HR representative interviewed me and I did really well. I answered each question well and showed confidence. Needless to say, I felt a lot better about the second day.

About a week later they called and offered me a position. I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose your software requires the client to enter information into a database. What do you do if data insertion takes too long?   View Answers (2)
    Could not negotiate.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2009.

I submitted my resume and cover letter through bloomberg's career website.
    Later on was contacted by HR for a online assessment. It consists fo 30 questions, took me about 1 hour to finish. Then was contacted for a first round telephone interview.
    It was one on one, and the interviewer asked many questions to test my programming language skills. There are also some brain teasers included. Phone interview was about 1 hour.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2009.

I applied for a Financial Software Development entry level position and when filling my application they asked my strongest programming language among c,c++, and Java. As I had previous experience with Java I selected it as my strongest language. The following day they sent me an email with instructions to take an online skills assessment. Reading this forum, I practiced a few IQ/Intelligence test with good results so I felt confident to take the test. I took the test and to my surprise it was all Java programming questions (syncronisation, inheritance, interfaces, polymorphism, analysing pieces of code, etc). The questions where very specific and not about general OO programming concepts eg. Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior? As I've been out of practice a bit in hands on programming I really struggled with the test. Basically I didn't remember clearly the syntax and got confused with some sentences. My recommendation is that you should study throughly your programming language selection and be ready for tricky questions.

Interview Questions
    • Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior?
      What support does java.io have for preventing malicious code from altering Serialized Objects?
        Answer Question
    • When using an ArrayList as the implementation for a list collection, what happens if adding an element exceeds the ArrayList's capacity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2009.

Submitted my resume, was contacted by no-name email for an intelligence test that consisted of logic and reasoning questions. Went for an int'w "day" which consisted of brief company introduction, supposed "networking" session in which there was only one person for 30+ ppl to try to network with; a building tour ("this is a couch to allow our employees to meet and talk about things", "here we have another pantry with free food", seriously), an int'w session with a young employee who wanted to rush me out after 15 minutes, another "networking" session with the same one employee, then c ya later.

Interview Questions
    • For a non- programmer, how would you search a linear array for a set of information?   View Answer