Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

3.2

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online through my schools job portal. A couple months later I received an email asking for a phone interview. My first interview was cancelled so I then had to reschedule to a couple weeks later. The interview was 45 minutes long and not to bad. Asked questions about past experience and related course work. Was a strictly technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that calculates the specific value in a tree.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

Interview

The interviewer seemed a pretty chilled out guy. He started with basic stuff and never entered the zone of difficult problems. First question was writing a method for detecting if a string is a palindrome. The second question was printing a linked list in reverse. Third was reversing the linked list. Language was no barrier and I could use the language of my choice. He only allowed me to code after he was convinced by my approach

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

1 phone screen and 1 on-site. At on-site, I had two interviews and was asked to leave after the second interview. It was a fairly standard technical interview, but I feel my answers in the on-site interview took me a little longer than it should have.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of integers, all from 1 to n, except for 2 which are marked as "0", find the 2 values that are missing. For example, for n = 5: arr = [1,5,0,0,3] => the two missing values are 2 and 4.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Blacksburg, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I got the interview from a on-campus career fair. The first day was pretty easy. The interviewer started off asking me about what I knew about the company, what I would do in the company if I got a job offer. Then, he asked me a simple but required logic thinking + correct implementation on the spot problem that I have never seen. At the end of the interview, he set me up to the 2nd interview which was the day right after it. The second interviewer asked me the same behavioral questions, and he gave me a problem about hash table, another problem about linked list. I got a rejection a week after that.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

Technical Phone interview Ask a lot of basic C++/Java Qs Like what is static , constructor , OOP , final , name some datatypes .... etc followed by hashing Question then Write code to calculate the square root of a number

Interview Questions

Negotiation

next step was video conference interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I met the Bloomberg team at a YHack 2014, and was immediately impressed by the product. I applied that year, and received a phone interview, which contained mostly algorithmic questions. This year, I applied again, received a phone interview, and was asked questions questions of the same variety (difference between C++ and Java, difference between a BST and a hash table). They also covered some aspects of my resume, and asked me to describe a project I had worked on, some challenges I faced, and how I overcame them. I heard back that same week that I'd received a campus interview with them in New York, which I've yet to attend.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between stack and heap memory   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

One technical screen followed by another nontechnical round with a manger. The first screen was your typical big company coding interview. The second round was about why I applied to Bloomberg and to see what my interests were.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Bloomberg over other companies?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was happy with the offer so I didn't negotiate.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2010.

Interview

First round asked for resume related stuff line by line and raised more question based on your answers. You have to be really familar with stuff you put on the resume. Second round is C++ technical questions. They asked extremely detailed specification of the language. You therefore have to be well prepared in C++ knowledge.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Company came to school career fair. Was contacted a few weeks after and was called for an on-campus interview. After the first interview, I was invited for another on-campus interview the next day (they flew from NY). Then I was flown to interview at HQ in NY and quickly thereafter got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Was expected to code and debug on a laptop.   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online on a whim and got an e-mail response a few weeks later to set up a phone/technical interview. They hold technical interviews online through HackerRank. The interview began with three or four standard interview questions (questions about my resume, why Bloomberg, etc) which took about 5-minutes. The rest of the 45-minutes was all technical / algorithm stuff through HackerRank (see included questions). I struggled with the first (never really got anywhere) and then he told me to move on to the next one. Came up with an okay solution to the second one, O(n*log(n)), but he kept asking me if I could do it better. Ended up telling me a solution and then asking me to implement it (super simple). Overall, I felt like I was being grilled the whole time and it seemed like he didn't care about what I was saying unless it was me getting the questions exactly right. I know I didn't do so great on the interview. Got an e-mail a few days later saying they weren't interested in moving forward.

Interview Questions

• 1. Implement a queue using stacks 2. Search through an array of integers and find pairs that add to a target   1 Answer