Bloomberg L.P.

3.3

268 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Met at a campus career fair, scheduled for technical interview the next day. Was flown to New York for two more technical interviews (I was actually exempted from these, but others had them) and HR and senior manager interviews; offered the job within a couple days of interviews. Interview process was smooth and communication was excellent; free trip to NYC didn't hurt either. HR at Bloomberg is brilliant and runs well; love the people there.

Interview Questions
  • Given a directional graph, where each node contains a letter, and a lexicon, find all words in the lexicon that appear in the graph.   Answer Question
Was a freshman, so didn't negotiate. Pay was more than generous, and more than Google, Facebook, etc. were paying any of my classmates.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Had four on-campus interviews following a career fair--three technical and one with an HR guy. I was allowed to use any language. There were six questions. Two were about implementing some common function, such as a String class constructor. One required partitioning a list around a given element. One required merging two schedules that might overlap in some parts into one schedule. The last two are described below.

Interview Questions
    • You're given a binary tree--not necessarily complete or proper--and you need to give each node a "friend" pointer that points to the node to its right in the tree. This node is on the same level but is not necessarily a sibling, which makes the problem a little tricky. The friend pointer of the node farthest to the right on each level should be null.   View Answer
    • You're given two arrays of the same size filled with positive integers, and an integer 0 <= N <= 255. You need to determine whether N can be written as the sum of some number from the first array and some number from the second array.   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

5 round of interviews. All face to face.
    They provide a bunch of courses about C++ and Equity. The instructors are great and have a whole lot of experience.
    Allow long enough time for you to make your own decision if you get an offer. Don't push people at all.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Had two round interview... first round was very straightforward, asked typical data structure, graph search, and object oriented questions (linked lists, depth first search, memoization, classes). Second round was much harder, with algorithmically complicated coding problems (the naive solution was usually easy, but the interviewer would then press on for a much more difficult solution)

Interview Questions
    • Counting the number of anagrams of one string in another string   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

From the online application (bloomberg website) to the phone interview took around 4 weeks (a first interview was scheduled within 2 weeks but the interviewer didn't call so we rescheduled). The phone interview was quite straightforward and I was asked the following questions
    1- Kind of a strange question. Generate all 3-digit combinations of 1-9 but not repeats in the sense that if you have 123, then 231, 321, etc. are not allowed. [nested for loops]
    2- Reverse a given sentence (no use of library methods, arbitrary spaces between words). Make it faster. [start at the end and find and print words one-by-one].
    3- You are given a 3L and a 5L container and unlimited supply of water. How to make 1L?[I found a longer solution but the short on is pour 3L into 5 twice.]
    4- A program/algorithm which given mL and nL buckets figures out how (if possible) make kL. [we discussed the solution and the interviewer was nice and gave me a hint. Its a DP problem].

The next day, I received and invitation for on-site interview. The travel schedule part was straightforward and convenient.
    I was invited to the NY office. There was a group of around 30 people like me. They hold you for a few minuts to issue a security badge. Then there is a tour about all the 31 or so aquariums and fishes at bloomberg. Eventually, there is breakfast and then the interviews come find you. There is 4 rounds of interview. Rounds 1-2 are technical, 3 is management, and 4 is HR.
    Some questions I remember:
    1- Find shortest path on a chessboard from low left corner to top right. You can move right and top only and some cells are inaccessible (DFS).
    2- You have sorted arrays A and B with sizes m and n. Assume at the end of array "A" you have "n" empty slots. How to merge with minimum number of operations (start at the end instead of beginning). Prove it works (induction).
    3- Some runners running in a field with some "k" sensors. We get events of runnings locations. How to print the top "m" runners? (array of lists or hash table of lists depending on the location of the sensors. each list is one sensor). Some questions on how to identify the ordering within each list.
    4- CPU Cache implementation. How to implement the least frequently used procedure.
    5- Scheduling some jobs over "m" servers. Centralized vs distributed implementation? How to implement.

The management interview was interesting and I liked the two managers. HR was fine too. I did not do any negotiations.

Interview Questions
    • The chessboard problem. I first mentioned BFS and use of a Queue but the interviewer kept asking about some data structure with less memory that I could extract due to the simple structure of the graph. I did not understand what he meant. I eventually mentioned DFS and proved it works uses less memory.
      The cache problem took a long time. I kind of though I failed it at some point. I had no prior knowledge of the topic since I am not a CS guy. I eventually, used an array to store the access time to different items and O(n) search through it to find the least frequently used one. The interviewer did not raise the complexity. He wanted me to write code on a paper (which is hard, esp. in C).

View Answer
    I did not do any negotiations. I accepted the offer for some time in the future since I need to resolve the visa part.

Financial Software Developer Interview

One phone interview and one on site (3 interviewers) plus HR review. Three interviewers are two developer and one manager. Then you get the offer and they do all background checks etc.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation room for junior hire

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online and was contacted a few days later asking to schedule a phone interview for the following week. The interviewer was very nice - asked mostly about my background and a few simple data structures questions.

Interview Questions
    • How is memory stored?
      Difference between array and linked list?
      Binary search tree traversal

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Technology interview, Very friendly interviewers
    Q1, What is a static variable? What is a static function? Think of a case where you can make use of static variable or static function.
    Q2, Implement a basic traverse tree in java. Print out the nodes in a tree from left to right/ from right to left.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

I went to my school career fair, and I got an interview with Bloomberg by talking to them and solving their problems in place. There were 2 rounds; each round they asked me technical questions about hash tables, linked lists and also behavioral questions like "Have you ever imagined what you would do in our company?"

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

I was interviewed on campus ( University of Maryland ,college park ) . I got a call through career fair . The first interview happened at the fair itself, I was asked a simple mathematical questions , and a simple programming questions .
    Then there were 2 back to back tech interview . Some of the questions that were asked :
              Given a list of exchange rates , between several currencies . Find out if it is possible to profit while moving through currency , exchanging , and ending up at the same currency you started with .
              There was a question about implementing vectors ( from STL ) .
             To implement a queue by using stacks .

Third interview was a not really technical although person asked me about python , asked me to write some basic code in python .

Interview Questions
    • The question about inner workings of templates in C++, syntax etc , was unexpected . I had coded and prepared from a more algorithm and data structure point of view . I knew some these c++ internals , but that was not the skill i was showcasing . I have given other interviews , and such software companies ,rarely ask these language specific questions . As a result whatever interviews i gave post this one , i claimed to know only C, lol.   Answer Question
    I did not do much negotiation . I had only one offer back then .