Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Dec 3, 2014

3.3

264 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied through my college - 3 rounds of technical interview
1st round : They asked me to select a data structure for storing a dictionary that i have to use for searching words with given letters.It is similar to that of SCRABBLE game.
Passing a multi-dimensional array in c89 and other variations.

2nd round : Design a class that takes any length integer (memory is the limit) given as string and implement constructors , addition by operator overloading (as i've told them about my choice of C++).

3rd round : Write a code to find the common letters in two strings. He was more interested in how his input will break my code and how will i overcome it and what will happen at OS level.

HR round: You have done some electronics stuff - arduino & stuff then why financial software developer?
What are you top 3 priorities?
What other companies you have applied for?

Interview Questions
  • Why Other Company?(unexpected .... i was prepared for Why Bloomberg but not for this)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2013.

Applied online and received an email to set up an initial phone screening. It was frustrating as they contacted me for a different position than the one I applied for, and was unqualified for it.

First interview was a typical candidate screening, heavy on work experience and education from my resume, with some behavioral questions.

Made it to the next round which was a technical phone interview. The interviewer was very nice, guided me trough the questions, even explaining answers to the questions I did not know. As expected I did not move on the further rounds as my background did not fit and thus could not answer all of the questions posed.

Interview Questions
    • Very in depth CS questions on topics such as binary trees, algorithms, try/catch blocks, OOP, etc. If you come from a CS background (which I did not, despite having programming experience in my current position), these are your run of the mill questions for a software development position.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied online on a whim and got an e-mail response a few weeks later to set up a phone/technical interview. They hold technical interviews online through HackerRank. The interview began with three or four standard interview questions (questions about my resume, why Bloomberg, etc) which took about 5-minutes. The rest of the 45-minutes was all technical / algorithm stuff through HackerRank (see included questions). I struggled with the first (never really got anywhere) and then he told me to move on to the next one. Came up with an okay solution to the second one, O(n*log(n)), but he kept asking me if I could do it better. Ended up telling me a solution and then asking me to implement it (super simple).

Overall, I felt like I was being grilled the whole time and it seemed like he didn't care about what I was saying unless it was me getting the questions exactly right. I know I didn't do so great on the interview. Got an e-mail a few days later saying they weren't interested in moving forward.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Implement a queue using stacks
      2. Search through an array of integers and find pairs that add to a target

View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Company came to school career fair. Was contacted a few weeks after and was called for an on-campus interview. After the first interview, I was invited for another on-campus interview the next day (they flew from NY). Then I was flown to interview at HQ in NY and quickly thereafter got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Was expected to code and debug on a laptop.   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2010.

First round asked for resume related stuff line by line and raised more question based on your answers. You have to be really familar with stuff you put on the resume. Second round is C++ technical questions. They asked extremely detailed specification of the language. You therefore have to be well prepared in C++ knowledge.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

One technical screen followed by another nontechnical round with a manger. The first screen was your typical big company coding interview. The second round was about why I applied to Bloomberg and to see what my interests were.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Bloomberg over other companies?   Answer Question
    I was happy with the offer so I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

I got the interview from a on-campus career fair. The first day was pretty easy. The interviewer started off asking me about what I knew about the company, what I would do in the company if I got a job offer. Then, he asked me a simple but required logic thinking + correct implementation on the spot problem that I have never seen. At the end of the interview, he set me up to the 2nd interview which was the day right after it. The second interviewer asked me the same behavioral questions, and he gave me a problem about hash table, another problem about linked list. I got a rejection a week after that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2010.

Applied for a number of positions at the company on their website, received individual emails rejecting me for each position other than one. then emailed for phone interview, then in person interview which they flew me in for. They offered to fly me round trip and provide a hotel room near their manhattan office. Office building is quite impressive, company is all about their open corporate culture, office has incredibly small number of walls.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

non-cs background.
    On line test, focus on IQ and logic
    Phone interview, talking about the current project, and one problem solving question.
    On-site, 1:1 interview, hr, manager, technology question, basic concept, IQ test, and basic behavior questions.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

Submitted resume at career fair, received an email for on campus interview. Interview consisted of a short simple 15 minute interview in the morn, followed by a longer hour + session in the afternoon. The afternoon session consisted of two different interviews. Morning interview was a simple coding example, afternoon inteview was average. In restrospect, it was kinda fun or it would be in a class or other setting. At this point all questions are from glassdoor, careercup or programming interviews.

Got an email for another round, but other obligations made that impossible, therefore I got an onsite interview.

Onsite consisted of one hour with two developers, where they asked me about my research/programming experience. They left to confer with my recruiter, about ten minutes later I had a somewhat hostile one hour interview with an employee, who eventually told me he was a manager. I was asked a few behavioural questions; Are you ready to leave? Did you enjoy the easy questions? What are you looking for in a job? Followed by a coding question. After which he asked if I had any questions about Bloomberg, after a short discussion he left. About 15 minutes later the recruiter showed up and did the HR run through, after which she showed me out.

Got an odd vibe from Bloomberg, like my fly was open or I was the annoying talkative dude on the plane. Doubly weird because everyone else seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Interview Questions
    • write a method/function to find the root of a function?

Eventually simplified to write a binary search based function to find the square root of a number

Answer Question