Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

245 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

non-cs background.
On line test, focus on IQ and logic
Phone interview, talking about the current project, and one problem solving question.
On-site, 1:1 interview, hr, manager, technology question, basic concept, IQ test, and basic behavior questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

Submitted resume at career fair, received an email for on campus interview. Interview consisted of a short simple 15 minute interview in the morn, followed by a longer hour + session in the afternoon. The afternoon session consisted of two different interviews. Morning interview was a simple coding example, afternoon inteview was average. In restrospect, it was kinda fun or it would be in a class or other setting. At this point all questions are from glassdoor, careercup or programming interviews.

Got an email for another round, but other obligations made that impossible, therefore I got an onsite interview.

Onsite consisted of one hour with two developers, where they asked me about my research/programming experience. They left to confer with my recruiter, about ten minutes later I had a somewhat hostile one hour interview with an employee, who eventually told me he was a manager. I was asked a few behavioural questions; Are you ready to leave? Did you enjoy the easy questions? What are you looking for in a job? Followed by a coding question. After which he asked if I had any questions about Bloomberg, after a short discussion he left. About 15 minutes later the recruiter showed up and did the HR run through, after which she showed me out.

Got an odd vibe from Bloomberg, like my fly was open or I was the annoying talkative dude on the plane. Doubly weird because everyone else seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Interview Questions
    • write a method/function to find the root of a function?

Eventually simplified to write a binary search based function to find the square root of a number
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2011.

I actually expect some generic questions like data structure, but it's not what i got. they looked at my resume and found that i have done something in memory management, then go ahead and ask me related questions. The entire interview probably only takes 25 minutes. and they only have asked me two questions which i didn't answer well IMHO.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about implementing malloc() and free()?   Answer Question
    • Why kernel offers memory in page boundary?   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2011.

Got to know about about the offer through a recruiter. Took a Brainbench type test and then got a phone interview. Was invited for a face to face interview. The interviewer was good and didn't rush me one bit but I didn't do well at all in the interview.
    Got questions for bitwise operators, linked lists etc.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2011.

went over resume, some C++ algorithmic questions

Interview Questions
    • How would you find the Common elements from 2 Arrays which my or may not be of the same size?   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

Gave my resume to a recruiter at a job fair, no phone screening. A week later I got called by a university career center employee to setup and on-campus interview for the next day. It was a 25 minute interview basically to make sure I didn't lie on my resume.

A few hours after I got a call to setup another interview and scheduled it for the next day (they wanted it that afternoon). Second interview was 45 minutes and more technical, not to mention the two interviewers were worse. Basically it was a "Write this code while I play on my ipad" kinda interview.

Both interviews were 2 on 1. Brush up on your C and C++, and know every difference. My primary language these days is Python, so they looked down on me in disgust.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement the Shuffle feature on an iPod with the least disruption to the user and so you can go back and forward without being given a different song. Also what is the run time of your algorithm.   View Answer
    • What is a hash function for and how would you make one to hash strings?   View Answer
    • Implement a function in C that takes a string "Hey" and converts it to "[H][e][y]" with no return value   View Answers (3)

Financial Software Developer Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2011.

I applied online at their website. A few days later I got an email from a recruiter asking that I take a technical assessment test online. The questions were logic type questions and you had a time limit. A few days after taking the test, I got another email for a phone interview. The phone interview was basic. They asked about previous work experience, courses I had taken, why I would be a good worker for them. During the interview, they will ask a technical question. Since I was a math major, they asked a probability question. The interviewer was really nice. He gave hints so that I could reach the answer because I was misunderstanding a part of the question.

I got another email inviting me to an in-house interview. It was in a small glass conference room at their offices. The building is very cool. It's modern looking with a lot of open space and a lot of glass rooms. There were 2 interviewers. The interview was tough since I wasn't a computer science major. They asked me to explain the code of a project I had done in a computer science class. Be ready to explain the code in detail.

Even though they take anyone with a computational major. They really are looking for people who know coding. They also want people who have experience in the financial area. They asked me why finance, why software developing. In the case of my interviewers, they also assumed I knew what branch of the financial area I would want to focus on and which R&D department I would want to work in.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

I applied bloomberg financial software developer position through university's career link. And they offer me to do an online technical test in Java. The test is not easy. It asks a lot of detailed concept questions in Java, and cover a very wide scope of classes. Each question has 5 options to choose, about 1/4 of them I just guess the answer.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2011.

Process::
    - CV submission to online system (no need to fill in an entire application like other companies)
    - Online Software Test

- Busy and lively offices
    - Open Plan offices
    - Fancy glass meeting rooms
    - Free food and drinks.
    - Interviewers were very helpful and provided sufficient time to complete exercises without any pressure

Interview Questions
    • Determining the efficiency of code, and devising the most efficient algorithm to certain software problems   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Got the info from school on an information session. The building design is modern and they have colored elevator banks. The event presenters were smart and definitely gave off a tech company vibe. Think less Wall Street more Apple or Google. The session informed the position is for a training program that could lead to an internship that could lead to job. Starts with a three stage process that consists of resume review, assessment test, and an in person interview. Resume review was simple enough as they are not looking for specific backgrounds. They are looking for undergrad and graduate students with an interest in programming and and financial products. Next step is the assessment test which is similar to the logic game section of lsat. They give you three days once you're emailed to take the exam. Its not difficult but I wold suggest doing logic puzzles to prepare. Its about 30 questions and you get 3 minutes for each question. Expect arranging, organizing, and sequencing games. Even a few questions where you draw a letter on a page then get instruction to turn it 90 degrees 45 degrees and so on then pick the image youre left with. Hard to pick up on what the culture is like in an hour but no question you'll be working with some smart folks in a challenging environment.