Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through my college - 3 rounds of technical interview 1st round : They asked me to select a data structure for storing a dictionary that i have to use for searching words with given letters.It is similar to that of SCRABBLE game. Passing a multi-dimensional array in c89 and other variations. 2nd round : Design a class that takes any length integer (memory is the limit) given as string and implement constructors , addition by operator overloading (as i've told them about my choice of C++). 3rd round : Write a code to find the common letters in two strings. He was more interested in how his input will break my code and how will i overcome it and what will happen at OS level. HR round: You have done some electronics stuff - arduino & stuff then why financial software developer? What are you top 3 priorities? What other companies you have applied for?

Interview Questions

• Why Other Company?(unexpected .... i was prepared for Why Bloomberg but not for this)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

1 phone round - 1hour, asked me to code in HackerRank. Onsite 4 rounds - 2 technical followed by one with a manager and one with a hr. If you perform well in first 2 rounds,you go to further rounds.Else,you're out. Overall they look for smart candidates with not so much focus on perfect coding skills,which is good I guess.

Interview Questions

• Web browser history implementation without duplicates,a couple of c++ questions and some standard algorithm and data structure questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

They contacted me after I applied online about a technical interview. It took about 45 minutes and I had to code online while I was on the phone with the interviewer.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter reached out to me about a phone screen. The phone screen involved a Hackerrank coding tool and the interviewer pasted code onto the editor window. After passing the phone screen, they flew me out to their headquarters in NYC for an on-site interview. For the on-site interview, I was asked to write code on a piece of paper. I believe there are three back-to-back technical interviews and then an interview with HR to indicate that you passed. If you fail any one of the interviews, you are issued out of the building. Bloomberg paid for my flight as well as a one night stay in a hotel.

Interview Questions

• Implement a function to raise a number to an exponent using your language of choice.   2 Answers
    • Given a binary tree, find the maximum difference in depth between the nodes in the tree.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I have applied online to Bloomberg L.P. Later I got an email Scheduling my Telephonic Interview. Total, One Telephonic Round and after that I was called for In house interview where I attended , two in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic Round was basically regarding my college projects, I was asked implement the logic on the project. In house interview, First round, 1) output of a/b in string format, incase it has recursion output that part between ( ). 2) First largest and second largest number in a series. Second Round 1) Logic to implement the feature Frequently used websites on a browser. 2) How to find a cycle in a linked list and why use fast pointer that goes twice as fast as the slow one and not thrice it speed or four times its speed.   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2011.

Interview

Submitted resume at career fair, received an email for on campus interview. Interview consisted of a short simple 15 minute interview in the morn, followed by a longer hour + session in the afternoon. The afternoon session consisted of two different interviews. Morning interview was a simple coding example, afternoon inteview was average. In restrospect, it was kinda fun or it would be in a class or other setting. At this point all questions are from glassdoor, careercup or programming interviews. Got an email for another round, but other obligations made that impossible, therefore I got an onsite interview. Onsite consisted of one hour with two developers, where they asked me about my research/programming experience. They left to confer with my recruiter, about ten minutes later I had a somewhat hostile one hour interview with an employee, who eventually told me he was a manager. I was asked a few behavioural questions; Are you ready to leave? Did you enjoy the easy questions? What are you looking for in a job? Followed by a coding question. After which he asked if I had any questions about Bloomberg, after a short discussion he left. About 15 minutes later the recruiter showed up and did the HR run through, after which she showed me out. Got an odd vibe from Bloomberg, like my fly was open or I was the annoying talkative dude on the plane. Doubly weird because everyone else seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Interview Questions

• write a method/function to find the root of a function? Eventually simplified to write a binary search based function to find the square root of a number   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

Applied for a number of positions at the company on their website, received individual emails rejecting me for each position other than one. then emailed for phone interview, then in person interview which they flew me in for. They offered to fly me round trip and provide a hotel room near their manhattan office. Office building is quite impressive, company is all about their open corporate culture, office has incredibly small number of walls.

Interview Questions

• how many blocks on an n x n megablock are not on the edge?   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

non-cs background. On line test, focus on IQ and logic Phone interview, talking about the current project, and one problem solving question. On-site, 1:1 interview, hr, manager, technology question, basic concept, IQ test, and basic behavior questions.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in June 2011.

Interview

Got to know about about the offer through a recruiter. Took a Brainbench type test and then got a phone interview. Was invited for a face to face interview. The interviewer was good and didn't rush me one bit but I didn't do well at all in the interview. Got questions for bitwise operators, linked lists etc.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

Process:: - CV submission to online system (no need to fill in an entire application like other companies) - Online Software Test - 1st Round Interview - skills assessment and logical puzzles - 2nd Round Interview - Further skills assessment - 3rd Round Interview - HR Observations:: - Busy and lively offices - Open Plan offices - Fancy glass meeting rooms - Free food and drinks. - Interviewers were very helpful and provided sufficient time to complete exercises without any pressure

Interview Questions

• Determining the efficiency of code, and devising the most efficient algorithm to certain software problems   Answer Question