Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

3.2

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

I met a Bloomberg recruiter at a career fair. Discussed 5 minutes about my resume (Previous work experience, Preferred programming languages, ...) and then scheduled two technical interviews the day after. The first interview was with two young very cool guys from two different teams. I was asked basic (But sometimes tricky) questions about C and Java, mostly about memory allocation. I was also required to code a reverse string function, and to correct and improve an ugly piece of code written in C. They are definitely not here to trick you, and will guide you to the right solution if you make a mistake. The second interview started with basic questions (Why Bloomberg, why do you want to be a software developer, ...), and I was then asked to design an algorithm (See below), and implement it in Java. As for the previous interview, the last 15 minutes were dedicated to a very nice conversation with the interviewer. Two days letter I got contacted by a HR manager to schedule an interview with them. After a 10 minutes chat, they gave me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to find the first unique element in an array.   6 Answers
  • How is memory managed in Java. Explain what the garbage collector is.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing to negotiate here. The package offered by Bloomberg is incredibly high for an internship!

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received an email to set up an initial phone screening. It was frustrating as they contacted me for a different position than the one I applied for, and was unqualified for it. First interview was a typical candidate screening, heavy on work experience and education from my resume, with some behavioral questions. Made it to the next round which was a technical phone interview. The interviewer was very nice, guided me trough the questions, even explaining answers to the questions I did not know. As expected I did not move on the further rounds as my background did not fit and thus could not answer all of the questions posed.

Interview Questions

• Very in depth CS questions on topics such as binary trees, algorithms, try/catch blocks, OOP, etc. If you come from a CS background (which I did not, despite having programming experience in my current position), these are your run of the mill questions for a software development position.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

Interview

Applied Online. Scheduled 1st phone interview within two weeks of applying. Scheduled on-site a week later. Heard back about an offer two days after the on-site. Very satisfied with the entire process. HR was fast and competent. Phone screen consisted of two questions on HackerRank. First question was coding a typical technical question. Second question was a design question, no code. Onsite was an onsite-day so there were many applicants interviewing at the same time (you still interview by yourself though). Four rounds in total. First two are 2:1 with engineers and very technical. You write code on pads of ~6x8 paper (wouldn't have been my medium of choice). 3rd round is a 1:1 with a senior engineer/engineer manager(?); no coding. 4th round is with HR. Interviewers were very friendly and willing to nudge you if it looked like you were getting stuck. They all seemed very intelligent which was a bit intimidating. The questions were also interesting and fun. First round was more algorithms and second round more data structures but that may have just been a coincidence.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through my college - 3 rounds of technical interview 1st round : They asked me to select a data structure for storing a dictionary that i have to use for searching words with given letters.It is similar to that of SCRABBLE game. Passing a multi-dimensional array in c89 and other variations. 2nd round : Design a class that takes any length integer (memory is the limit) given as string and implement constructors , addition by operator overloading (as i've told them about my choice of C++). 3rd round : Write a code to find the common letters in two strings. He was more interested in how his input will break my code and how will i overcome it and what will happen at OS level. HR round: You have done some electronics stuff - arduino & stuff then why financial software developer? What are you top 3 priorities? What other companies you have applied for?

Interview Questions

• Why Other Company?(unexpected .... i was prepared for Why Bloomberg but not for this)   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Interview

Took 2 weeks for the recruiter to call me and then a week later the interview was scheduled. Questions were easy c/c++ based questions but tricky in the sense that they were not logic based but relied on your level of preparation in that area.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you assign a string literal to a pointer using strcpy   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

One 45 min phone interview followed by on site interview with three team members. The phone interview was quite easy. Standard technical C++ questions related to exceptions (what happens when a destructor or constructor throw one, what are virtual functions, etc). Nothing very difficult. He also asked what books about C++ and which important C++ people/blogs I follow. In person interview went well I thought. The first interviewer asked me to implement merge sort. The other question was to find k largest values in a very big vector efficiently. The second interviewer asked me to design an interface to a function (or a class) that finds a zero of a give function and he wanted to see the most general interface possible. The third interviewer, the guy who I had the phone interview with asked me about smart pointers and writing an exception safe assignment operator. All three were very nice and guided me through the process. I did stumble on few of the questions but eventually ended up answering all of them.

Interview Questions

• C++ template metaprogramming (that team was into functional programming and compile time computations). Standard, find nth Fibonacci number using recursive templates.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online near the end of August and they got back to me about 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for about a week later. He asked a pretty standard interview question, and I coded it up online where he could see (I think it was on a HackerRank page). I thought they prefered C++, but he asked me if I wanted to do it in Java and I said yes because I'm more comfortable with that. I don't actually think that hurt my chances in any way. That question went fine, and then he asked me a few follow ups about scalability and bugs to check for. Then he went into some very specific C++ questions, which I stumbled through since I had only taken a semester of C++. Somehow I passed that interview and made it to the in-house. About a week later, my recruiter asked me which of 3 days I preferred to come to NYC and interview. A few days later they made travel arrangements. During the in-house interview, they give you a little tour of the office first then you meet with your interviewers and go to a conference room. Again, questions were very standard. You have to do them on a sheet of paper. The first interview there were 2 engineers, and they asked me 3 technical questions. I blanked out especially on the first question even though it was pretty easy. The second interview was just one person, and he asked me a fairly easy question, which I got right away and he said that was all he had for me so we talked for a bit before he let me out. Interviews themselves took about 2 hours total (but there's a small break in between). A week later, I got rejected--not unexpected considering I didn't do well on the first interview.

Interview Questions

• The C++ specific things really threw me off. Other than that everything was very standard.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2014.

Interview

This was in a college on campus career fair. It was not an interview call. How to remove duplicates from a linked list ? Use of Hashmap Basics of Depth first search and Breadth first search? Which data structure to represent each of them?

Interview Questions

• How to remove duplicates from a linked list   1 Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Interview

I went to the Bloomberg table at the campus career fair. They asked me a simple programming question, which I correctly answered. After that they had me schedule an on-campus interview for the next week. The interview was 2 rounds, separated over two days. The first round was more technical, I was interviewed by two software developers who asked me questions about my programming background before getting into the technical questions. The next day I talked to a single person, where they asked me one technical question and a lot of basic questions, such as why do you want to work at Bloomberg? etc. Overall, the experience was good, although the interview area seemed to be a bit out of order and hectic.

Interview Questions

• Give an algorithm that will calculate and print out all possible combinations of quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies in order to get a dollar.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (Stanford, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Met at a campus career fair, scheduled for technical interview the next day. Was flown to New York for two more technical interviews (I was actually exempted from these, but others had them) and HR and senior manager interviews; offered the job within a couple days of interviews. Interview process was smooth and communication was excellent; free trip to NYC didn't hurt either. HR at Bloomberg is brilliant and runs well; love the people there.

Interview Questions

• Given a directional graph, where each node contains a letter, and a lexicon, find all words in the lexicon that appear in the graph.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was a freshman, so didn't negotiate. Pay was more than generous, and more than Google, Facebook, etc. were paying any of my classmates.