Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Dec 3, 2014

3.3

264 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

The phone interview was mundane and consisted of typical Data Structures and tell me about your projects type of questions, one good question was to when does the compiler necessarily not make a function marked inline as inline. I was also asked a puzzle.

Was invited for the onsite interview, had my interviewed scheduled at 12:00 pm. Started the interview at around 12:05 pm, the first few questions where the general tell me about yourself and your projects. Then asked me about multithreading and problems associated with it, then asked about when deadlocks would occur. Difference between Semaphores and Mutex, by this time there where two interviewers, one shadow, one fairly senior, enter third interviewer at 12:13-12:15 pm, again, tell me about yourself etc.. The new interviewer asked me how to find the square root of a number without using the square root function, I knew the solution, he however asked me return the closest integer, so I was trying to figure that out, wrote a little code and he suddenly tells that's okay and asks me to write a test utility function for the sqrt function, i.e given a number and a possible guess please return if its actually the sqrt of the number, fair enough, it would just be a simple if else statement once we have used our sqrt function previously written. He had this you-are-wrong kind of face on, I was really worried and got all tensed. In hindsight, I guess he just expected me not to use the sqrt function and return true/false using just the utility function, I feel slightly flustered now, mainly because he could have just asked me that, it was neither a trick question nor a question that required a lot of thought. Anyways, now the senior interviewer asks me how to find if two lists intersect, I explained it to him (the answer is in CareerCup I guess), asked him if I should write the code, he told that wouldn't be needed. Then the other interviewer asks me about String compression, and a simpler version actually, as in aaabbbaacc would be a3b3a2c2, that was simple, told him how I could do it, in the hindsight I feel I should have given a in-place solution ( not a big deal, just required him to ask me a couple of questions on it or clarify if there is an better space efficient code is possible), again, asked him if I should write the code, he says no. The time is 12:52 PM, the guy who came in late wrapped the interview telling its almost time up, I said we could go back to the sqrt function and figure out if the solution I gave would work with a little tweaks (it would work). Then they ask me if I have any questions for them, etc etc. 12:56 PM they wrap up the interview, and they ask me to wait in the room, 15 mins later the recruiter comes in and tells me that they wouldn't continue with the interview. I felt shattered, I did not expect it at all, I did answer their questions. What was depressing was that they judged my performance on a single round of interview, I would have been okay if I actually performed bad, but my performance definitely warranted at-least may be another round to judge me, it was surely not soo off-mark that I had to be sent off immediately. Definitely this was one of the worst interviews I've faced, mainly because their perception of you is that you are a bad candidate and the interview is focused on assuring themselves that you are indeed bad rather than trying to get the best of you assuming you are actually good. Another evident problem I could see was that they just don't care, why?, because the interviews are basically general, once you've finished your training you need to again find a team that is wiling to accept you, since the interviews are general and they know that you may or may not be a part of their team, they don't care losing you. The i-don't-care attitude was so evident when I saw the guy came in late + he yawned in between the interview.

The post probably makes you feel that I may be sore loser trying to vent my opinions here, I can assure you I am not, I've gotten over the interview and just wanted to give you guys a big heads-up for your interviews.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2013.

Applied to 2 new grad positions with identical job description. Got reject for one position and about a week after that got an email that they are interested in scheduling a phone interview for the other position.

I have about an year and half of work experience so I was asked a few questions about my current job and explain how the whole system works. Then I was asked some very mundane computer science fundamental questions. I felt the interviewer was interested in definitions from the textbook. Then he asked me a simple coding question (Loop in a linked list) and just asked me to explain the algorithm. Finally he asked a puzzle.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Applied at Senior year at the career fair. They called me after 2 weeks and invited me to New York and had interview and I was offered.

Interview Questions
    • What is the greatest challenge of providing financial information to customers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2013.

Applied online and received an email to set up an initial phone screening. It was frustrating as they contacted me for a different position than the one I applied for, and was unqualified for it.

First interview was a typical candidate screening, heavy on work experience and education from my resume, with some behavioral questions.

Made it to the next round which was a technical phone interview. The interviewer was very nice, guided me trough the questions, even explaining answers to the questions I did not know. As expected I did not move on the further rounds as my background did not fit and thus could not answer all of the questions posed.

Interview Questions
    • Very in depth CS questions on topics such as binary trees, algorithms, try/catch blocks, OOP, etc. If you come from a CS background (which I did not, despite having programming experience in my current position), these are your run of the mill questions for a software development position.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone Interview

Interview Questions
    • Questions about resume then 1 Prog Question on Data structures   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

Basic algorithm questions, linked list, find prime numbers, number of zeros in the end of n!. Need to code with paper and pencil. Not very hard comparing to other IT companies.
    Object oriented design problem. Not hard, just apply the ood principle and proper design patterns.
    Many behavior question such as why bloomberg, what is 5yrs goal, 10yrs goal, how to be a leader.

Interview Questions
    • Josephus problem. Not easy to get the trick if see it for the first time.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

Posted my resume and cover letter through their website. Got an phone interview three weeks later.

The phone interview lasted about 50 minutes. Questions include some details about underlying in JVM and C++.

Did not expect them to ask questions on Java, because they seem not working with Java.

And he asked me some other very very easy questions on array. HOWEVER, I could not understand his accent. Even though I repeated his question twice to him, he said yes, I still misunderstood what he meant.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Differences between C and Java
      2) Details about JVM
      3) What are compiler, linker and loader.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

Algorithms, Big(O), Data Structures

Interview Questions
    • Hash-tables usage with algorithms and self created questions   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

on campus interview with 2 interviewed, around 45 mins. Basically all questions are from your resume.... what you did before, what you learned before....
    also asking the questions about programming from your resume
    they seem to like people who can write C++ and database

Interview Questions
    • they asked questions from what they got from your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

I applied online and got an email from a recruiter for scheduling a phone interview. The telephonic interview was not very hard, basic C and C++ concepts like

1) The difference between struct, union and class
    2) malloc vs new
    3) what does malloc return when it cannot allocate memory?

After a week or so, I was asked to come to their NYC office for an onsite interview. Bloomberg has interview days and on every such day they have around 18-25 candidates for interviews. My interview panel consisted of 3 members, 1 was a shadow interviewer and other 2 were the one's who were actually doing the interviewing.

The interview was not very hard. I had a coding question on string reversal. Another one was on data structures and you should absolutely know which data structure is to be used in what situation along with the complexities for each of the operations. If you don't, then you have slim chances of answering such questions. My last question was the hardest one and required databases and multithreading combined together to form the solution. The interviewer had sort of mugged that question and had come for the interview. When I asked her to explain a little bit more, she kept on saying the same things again and again. Finally, the other interviewer had to intercept, reinterpret that question, confirm his understanding with the other interviewer and then had to explain it again to me.

Overall, it was a very bad experience. The culture is not very good and you can actually sense it from the interviewers' attitude. One of my interviewers was all the time texting on his cellphone when I was given a chance to ask them questions. That was pretty rude.

Warning - Check out the culture from someone inside that you know before you join!