Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

245 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

I applied online and got an email from a recruiter for scheduling a phone interview. The telephonic interview was not very hard, basic C and C++ concepts like

1) The difference between struct, union and class
2) malloc vs new
3) what does malloc return when it cannot allocate memory?

After a week or so, I was asked to come to their NYC office for an onsite interview. Bloomberg has interview days and on every such day they have around 18-25 candidates for interviews. My interview panel consisted of 3 members, 1 was a shadow interviewer and other 2 were the one's who were actually doing the interviewing.

The interview was not very hard. I had a coding question on string reversal. Another one was on data structures and you should absolutely know which data structure is to be used in what situation along with the complexities for each of the operations. If you don't, then you have slim chances of answering such questions. My last question was the hardest one and required databases and multithreading combined together to form the solution. The interviewer had sort of mugged that question and had come for the interview. When I asked her to explain a little bit more, she kept on saying the same things again and again. Finally, the other interviewer had to intercept, reinterpret that question, confirm his understanding with the other interviewer and then had to explain it again to me.

Overall, it was a very bad experience. The culture is not very good and you can actually sense it from the interviewers' attitude. One of my interviewers was all the time texting on his cellphone when I was given a chance to ask them questions. That was pretty rude.

Warning - Check out the culture from someone inside that you know before you join!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

Three rounds. Two technical and 1 HR.
    Questions: Clear a linked list, all possible sets of n moves that an elephant can make in a chess board, calling overridden (virtual) method from a constructor in C++
    Find lowest common ancestor in BST, Return kth largest element in a BST, Two containers each of size 30 ml and 50 ml volumes. How to measure 40 ml in the 50 ml container.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

on campus interview with 2 interviewed, around 45 mins. Basically all questions are from your resume.... what you did before, what you learned before....
    also asking the questions about programming from your resume
    they seem to like people who can write C++ and database

Interview Questions
    • they asked questions from what they got from your resume   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

There were 3 questions: 1 simple coding, 2nd on data structure and 3rd logic based. I had submitted my resume online, and they replied within 2 weeks, asking for a convenient date to schedule a phone interview. Sp the interview process was smooth.

Interview Questions
    • I got stuck at the logic question, the answer didn't strike me at that time. The question was :
      There are 100 bulbs, all off at first. In the 1st round, all bulbs are switched on, in the second round every second bulb changes state, in the third round every third bulb changes state and so on. Which all bulb will be on at the end of 100th round?
        View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Met the recruiters at a Campus Career Fair. Got shortlisted for an interview. The Interview lasted almost an hour.
    Two Questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Write down the implementation of Polynomial Class in c++, with all possible functions, constructors etc. (You need to accept something of the form 2x^12+5x^2+3 from the user)   Answer Question
    • Implement itoa without using any inbuilt functions.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

One online test, picking from C/C++/Java/C#, not so easy.
    Then one phone interview, asked a lot of questions, not hard, but need to be well prepared.
    Then onsite interview. 3 arounds. Most of the time is solving basic algorithm problems.

Interview Questions
    • reverse a string by words, find the only duplicates in the range of [1-n]   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

1 online test, 1 phone interview, and followed by an onsite interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2008.

On campus interviews or phone interviews + in house interviews is the typical process. Usually 2 technical rounds of 1 hour each. You will need to write code on paper. Questions cover c,c++, data structures, algorithms, problem solving etc. Interviews are very technical but do not underestimate HR interviews as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2009.

Hiring process is pretty streamlined. Usually u go through an online programming oriented test, then a phone interview and then in-house interviews. All of the interviews are very technical in nature strictly programming/db specific and only if u make through technical stuff u get to go through a mild HR/behavioral sort of interview.

Interview Questions
    • Dont remember specific questions but prepare urself for hardcore programming, problem solving, databases and best practices stuff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2012.

Bloomberg visited the career fair of my univ in Sept. I visited their booth and was asked some questions about resume and data structures like the intersection of two arrays. I was asked to give very specific description of how to solve the problem. I then was asked to apply on their website.

2 month later, I got an email for a phone interview. However, it was delayed by another month, because of Sandy. The phone interview is all tech questions about algorithm, data structures, and probability.

After a week, I was invited an in-house interview. Since I am in NY state, they refused to book me a flight to nyc and asked me to take bus.
    The interview was in their headquater in manhattan. I faced 3 developers. And the questions were all technical. I failed in one brain teaser, so I didn't get inot the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Given 10 cups to locate the bottle poisoned wine from a batch of normal ones, you can make any mixture of them and test your mixtures by mouses. However the density of poison in the mixture, the testing mouse will certainly die. And you must give all the mixtures of the 10 cups before the test. There is only one poisoned bottle.
      How many bottles of wine you can test at most?
        View Answers (5)