Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

I submitted my resume through a recruiter. After two business days, I was asked to finish an online test. The questions were like GRE/LSAT logic questions. Pretty easy, I have to say. Two days later I received an email saying they want to schedule a phone interview. In the phone interview, I was asked some basic questions about C, some algorithms, and some brain teasers. The interviewer was very nice.

Interview Questions

• the classic question about two eggs dropping from a 100-floor building   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

Applied online which is called Bloomberg discovered day, the event gathered about 50 people took a whole day. Interview was held in the afternoon for 45 minutes The interviewer start with some general question, and then asked me some brain teasers and very basic C++ questions. I solved all in about 25 minutes and the rest of time was just like chatting.

Interview Questions

• How to find out whether a number is odd or even.   6 Answers
    • You have 4 aces and a king in a set of cards, what's the probability of get kind before all aces.   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at my school career fair, who asked about my internship experience and then gave me a couple of on-the-spot logic questions. I then got a call that evening to go in the next morning for an interview. I was then interviewed by two people for a technical interview- about 3 or 4 logic and programming questions. (Either pseudocode or actual syntax from a language of your choice is usually fine.) Only took about 20 minutes. They asked me to leave the room, and after a minute of deliberation, an interviewer asked me if I could go back in the afternoon for another interview. I came back to another technical interview with two different interviewers. After another couple minutes of deliberation among the recruiters, I was asked to do a "senior interview" right then. They asked a few simple behavioral questions (nothing tricky) and one logic question. Seemed more like a conversation than an interview. Again, it was short, nothing more than 30 mins. That was it. Seven days later I got a call and a job offer! All the people who interviewed me seemed to be laid back and very friendly. They let me ask any questions I had and gave honest answers from their own experiences. (They are not allowed to go into specifics about compensation packages, however, i.e. typical salaries, relocation packages, bonuses, etc... but just know that it will be very generous.) The friendly atmosphere really helped put me at ease, which helped out overall. I realized that these guys weren't trying to grill me, they just wanted to get a feel for who I was and whether or not I would fit their culture. Some tips for people interested in interviewing: - They don't expect you to be a perfect programmer, though some computer science coursework will definitely help your resume get noticed. They are really looking for students from all technical backgrounds who know some programming fundamentals, have a logical mind, and have a passion for programming, especially in the financial services industry. - During technical interviews, it's okay if you don't get all the logic questions perfectly correct right away. Use the pen and paper they give you to work things out. Talk to them as you're thinking through the problem. They want to see how you solve problems and that you have a logical mind. If you get stuck on a problem, don't freak out... they will give you some hints to help nudge you along the way. - Show them that you're conversational. The Bloomberg culture is all about open communication. If you have a logical mind and you can hold a conversation, they want you on their team. - As with all interviews: Relax, and be confident!!

Interview Questions

• You have 25 horses, and you want to know which are the top 3 fastest, but you don't have a stopwatch. You can race the horses, but the track is only big enough to fit 5 horses at a time. How do you find the first, second and third fastest horses using the least amount of races possible?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

My recruiter informed me that I will be called for an interview within the next couple of days or so. HR called me and set up the interview. I went there and interviewed with 3 people. The first 2 people conducted technical interviews where I was offered a pencil and a paper to solve a programming exercise nothing complicated. It dealt with C pointers. Then the other person asked general questions about C++ and object oriented programming concepts. The third person who interviewed me was from HR and she asked few behavioral questions and mostly talked about the great benefits the company offers. I did not like the atmosphere there it seemed like a "big brother" environment with cameras and surveillance all over the place. Additionally, it seemed like most of the technology used in the company in-house and using C or C ++ and one of them mentioned Fortran which gave me the feeling that in terms of technology I won't be learning much but on the other hand I might learn about the financial markets. The interviewers were one was nice and the other was neutral. a week later I was offered a position but by then I already accepted another offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

Interview

Went to the on-site interview (first round interview) after being accepted through their careers website and taking an IQ test on-line. During each 30min period, about 20 people were put into this one big room with cubicles to separate each interview site, and 1:1 interviews were done. Asked a few array-related algorithm questions, and a few brain teaser questions. Also talked about my course projects.

Interview Questions

• Out of 25 horses, pick the fastest 3 horses. In each race, only 5 horses can run at the same time. What is the minimum number of races required?   59 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

Hiring process is pretty streamlined. Usually u go through an online programming oriented test, then a phone interview and then in-house interviews. All of the interviews are very technical in nature strictly programming/db specific and only if u make through technical stuff u get to go through a mild HR/behavioral sort of interview.

Interview Questions

• Dont remember specific questions but prepare urself for hardcore programming, problem solving, databases and best practices stuff.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

Campus recruit first, talked to someone at a career fair, invited for an interview, talked to another guy with some technical questions, then talked to an HR personnel for some standard questions, then applied online to both NYC office and London office, invited to fly to London for a panel interview, then phone interview with NYC office. Got offer next Monday. They work impressively fast.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

There a question that is asked in all three round of interviews: why you choose our company? Prepare an answer before you go. First round, basic screening. one on one interview. Second round, technical questions: two on one interview. Third round, meeting with a senior director. one on one interview Fourth round, meeting with HR, one on on interview

Interview Questions

• Prove that you have problem-solving ability   1 Answer

Negotiation

starting date is negotiable. salary is not negotiable.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2009.

Interview

Had first round of 20 mins technical interview Questions: Chess game design in C++, Data Structures for handling high volume data, Implementing queue using 2 stacks Had second round of 45 mins technical interview Question: Tree traversal, SQL vs PL/SQL, merging two arrays (second one being larger than the elements in it) into one without using 3rd array.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

applied on their careers site. Got a call after a couple of day. Was asked to take a technical & an aptitude onilne test. I chose C as my language. The tests were pretty simple. Aptitude test was a piece of cake. After these tests, I got a mail on the same day for a tech phone interview.

Interview Questions

• what is the return type of sizeof()   2 Answers