Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014

3.3

248 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

Posted my resume and cover letter through their website. Got an phone interview three weeks later.

The phone interview lasted about 50 minutes. Questions include some details about underlying in JVM and C++.

Did not expect them to ask questions on Java, because they seem not working with Java.

And he asked me some other very very easy questions on array. HOWEVER, I could not understand his accent. Even though I repeated his question twice to him, he said yes, I still misunderstood what he meant.

Interview Questions
  • 1) Differences between C and Java
    2) Details about JVM
    3) What are compiler, linker and loader.
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

Algorithms, Big(O), Data Structures

Interview Questions
    • Hash-tables usage with algorithms and self created questions   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

on campus interview with 2 interviewed, around 45 mins. Basically all questions are from your resume.... what you did before, what you learned before....
    also asking the questions about programming from your resume
    they seem to like people who can write C++ and database

Interview Questions
    • they asked questions from what they got from your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

I applied online and got an email from a recruiter for scheduling a phone interview. The telephonic interview was not very hard, basic C and C++ concepts like

1) The difference between struct, union and class
    2) malloc vs new
    3) what does malloc return when it cannot allocate memory?

After a week or so, I was asked to come to their NYC office for an onsite interview. Bloomberg has interview days and on every such day they have around 18-25 candidates for interviews. My interview panel consisted of 3 members, 1 was a shadow interviewer and other 2 were the one's who were actually doing the interviewing.

The interview was not very hard. I had a coding question on string reversal. Another one was on data structures and you should absolutely know which data structure is to be used in what situation along with the complexities for each of the operations. If you don't, then you have slim chances of answering such questions. My last question was the hardest one and required databases and multithreading combined together to form the solution. The interviewer had sort of mugged that question and had come for the interview. When I asked her to explain a little bit more, she kept on saying the same things again and again. Finally, the other interviewer had to intercept, reinterpret that question, confirm his understanding with the other interviewer and then had to explain it again to me.

Overall, it was a very bad experience. The culture is not very good and you can actually sense it from the interviewers' attitude. One of my interviewers was all the time texting on his cellphone when I was given a chance to ask them questions. That was pretty rude.

Warning - Check out the culture from someone inside that you know before you join!

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2013.

Bloomberg's application process is tightly integrated with LinkedIn, so if you have a LinkedIn profile then it's very easy to simply import your profile in.

The first step was a 30 minute long phone interview. This was primarily about basics of C++ programming. I'd highly recommend candidates to brush up on pointers, C++ STL container classes such as vectors and hash maps, memory management (e.g. why is malloc not used any more).

I got an email offering a face-to-face interview at their London office within two days. The guidance on this was that the interview would last "at least an hour, but please allow for up to three hours". I assume that the length of the interview depends on how far deserving of a candidate you are. The interview was conducted by a engineering team manager and a lead programmer on one of their teams. The first set of questions was solely about pointers and how they are referenced / dereferenced in situations; really fundamental stuff but if you're not clear then you're likely to trip up at some point. Like I did. I did manage to backtrack and walk them through my correct solution when they gave me a hint on one of the trickier ones but I knew by that point my interview was shot. They wrapped it up after exactly an hour.

The whole process was extremely quick, it seemed like everyone was on the ball.

Interview Questions
    • When using a hash table, what happens if the hashing function generate the same key as an existing entry?   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

One online test, picking from C/C++/Java/C#, not so easy.
    Then one phone interview, asked a lot of questions, not hard, but need to be well prepared.
    Then onsite interview. 3 arounds. Most of the time is solving basic algorithm problems.

Interview Questions
    • reverse a string by words, find the only duplicates in the range of [1-n]   View Answer

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

There were 3 questions: 1 simple coding, 2nd on data structure and 3rd logic based. I had submitted my resume online, and they replied within 2 weeks, asking for a convenient date to schedule a phone interview. Sp the interview process was smooth.

Interview Questions
    • I got stuck at the logic question, the answer didn't strike me at that time. The question was :
      There are 100 bulbs, all off at first. In the 1st round, all bulbs are switched on, in the second round every second bulb changes state, in the third round every third bulb changes state and so on. Which all bulb will be on at the end of 100th round?
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

Three rounds. Two technical and 1 HR.
    Questions: Clear a linked list, all possible sets of n moves that an elephant can make in a chess board, calling overridden (virtual) method from a constructor in C++
    Find lowest common ancestor in BST, Return kth largest element in a BST, Two containers each of size 30 ml and 50 ml volumes. How to measure 40 ml in the 50 ml container.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

I submit resume on career fair, and scheduled an interview one week later on campus.
    They asked very detailed C++ questions. gave me A{}, and asked questions for this empty class for more than half an hour. questions about constructor, destructor, pointers, everything you could imagine. and the gave me a coding problem, how to decide a tree is a binary tree or not. after coding , asked another question, what about the structure is not a tree, would my code work? we discuss this for 20 mins. the process is so terrible, kept asking questions, so basic, detail questions, no algorithm, no datastructure.
    And got rej email two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • no unexpercted, I heard that they just want C++ programmer. I am a java programmer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Met the recruiters at a Campus Career Fair. Got shortlisted for an interview. The Interview lasted almost an hour.
    Two Questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Write down the implementation of Polynomial Class in c++, with all possible functions, constructors etc. (You need to accept something of the form 2x^12+5x^2+3 from the user)   Answer Question
    • Implement itoa without using any inbuilt functions.   Answer Question