Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
245 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – Drop resume at university career fair, schedule an one-week-later school campus interview right on the career fair after chatting with the representatives; the second week, 2 rounds interviews with 2 Bloomberg employees each in the same time, all technique questions; then got an invitation for an on-site interview with a technique manager, followed up by an HR representative. The onsite interview is technique too, they also ask why you want to work here and show you Bloomberg terminal. Got an offer a week later.

Interview Question – Seems there's a stress test during one of those interview in which they ask you an open ending question and pretend not satisfy with your first answer. Just keep calm and keep talking.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – First Contacted by HR, Discussed little technical topics and more on the resume.
2nd technical interview for an hour, asked questions listed below:

1. about merging in linklist
2.cycle in linked list
3. Perfect shuffle of cards
4. First repeating number in array
5. Mising and repeating number in array for different ranges.
6. Design of CHESS with some variation.(like intrducng new pieces n new rules)

Interview Question – Design the ChEss board game- actually askd to write some code.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2012.

Interview Details – The process started with visiting the Bloomberg LP booth at my university. I gave them my resume and we discussed a project or two. I then asked if they were doing interviews on campus and they told me yes. Before I could get a campus interview, I had to answer a few questions at the booth. These questions were brain teasers and C++ specific language questions. Upon impressing the recruiters at the booth, I was offered the on-campus interview.

Next, I met with two campus recruiters about a week or two later when they were in town. It was a technical interview with a few HR undertones to see if I had done my research. Questions were mostly based on system architecture: "how would you design a stock tracking system...?" and data structures: "how would you implement a queue using only the stack data structure?"

A couple weeks later, I heard from an HR representative who invited me to an on-site interview. They flew me to New York and I stayed in a hotel the night before the interview. I got to Bloomberg Tower at 10:30 am and the interview was at 11:00 am. You will be asked to check in at the front desk 15 minutes before your interview. You will have your picture taken and they will print a visitors badge for you. Then you will go up to the sixth floor and wait for your host to come greet you. My host came for me a couple minutes later and took me to a conference room on the 23rd floor of the building. The view was phenomenal. I had a fantastic view of Manhattan and Central Park.

The first interview was 2-on-1. One of the interviewers was a project lead and the other was more fresh. They started with the some questions about me and my resume. I got to tell them about my favorite project and show some enthusiasm for my work. Next they asked some technical questions. Specifically the questions were algorithms and data structures questions.

The next interview was 1-on-1 with someone more senior. From what I gathered he was a team lead - mobile development if I recall correctly. His questions were very direct and he made it clear that he was not trying to trip me up or ask me trick questions. He was very blunt but it was one of the best interviews I have had because the pressure was on and I had to think on my toes. His questions were of an HR nature mostly. The toughest and most surprising question he asked was "There are many large companies with many of the same things to offer as Bloomberg LP in the city, eg Google. If a friend was there and mentioned they had opportunities available, would you pursue an opportunity there?" See the answer below. After the HR questions, the interviewer asked me a number of coding questions ie find the bug in this code.

The last interview was strictly HR stuff - including the dreaded "do you have any expectations with respect to compensation?" I used some of my knowledge from this website to answer with a range and tell her that I expect at least the average salary to be competitive. The HR interviewer said they routinely offer higher than the number I requested.

At the end of every interview I was given the opportunity to ask questions.

I heard from HR in only 3 business days with an offer.

Interview Question – There are many large companies with many of the same things to offer as Bloomberg LP in the city, eg Google. If a friend was there and mentioned they had opportunities available, would you pursue an opportunity there?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They gave me more than a month and a half to accept their offer. I have yet to negotiate and I probably will not - given that their offer was better than I was hoping for.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied this postition through compus posting.
They conducted 2 rounds of interviews, both are in person interview in school. Both interview are conducted on Wednesday and receive an response on Friday of the same week. 1st interview is around 45 min. with a senior software developer. 2nd interview is 45 min. with C++ trainer, follow by 45 min. with manager, follow by 30 min. with HR,
80% of the question are about sorting, data structure in C++, and SQL. Also, some brain teasers.

Interview Question – Given a list of 1,000,000 integer (1 to 1,000,000 with no repeat), how to sort the list with only 1 mb of memory space.   View Answers (4)

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate salary. Only choice is accept or decline.

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to the position online, thinking it would go nowhere like all my other online applications. I got an email a couple days later asking me to take an assessment test (it was basically an IQ test). The test was about 30 questions, 3 minutes per question (it was timed per question) and the questions ranged in difficulty. I certainly didn't get all of them right, far from it. After that, I got an email asking me to set up a time for a phone interview. I responded, and then 1 week later they came to campus for a career fair. I went up to them and mentioned that I'd already begun the process online, and they took over the process from there. I interviewed 4 times within a week of approaching them at the career fair, and got my offer the following week. 3 interviews were technical, the last one was HR. The first two were knock-out rounds, and the last 2 were actually back to back, I went from the 3rd interview right to the 4th.

Interview Questions

• Say I have a deck of 52 cards, regular deck of cards. I put a joker in the deck somewhere and shuffle it up. Now I start dealing you cards until the joker shows up. Once it shows up, I stop dealing you cards. What is the probability that you have, in your set of cards, all 4 aces?   View Answers (9)
  • Implement a square root function   View Answers (2)
  • Can you cover an 8x8 chess board with dominos if two corner squares are removed (not two from the same side, 2 diagonal from each other). A domino covers 2 squares and no dominos can hang over the side of the board.   View Answers (4)
  • There is a panel containing 3 light switches in front of you. Each switch controls a light in a room somewhere. Doesn't really matter where. You can play with the switches as much as you like, but you're only allowed to enter the room once. How do you tell which switch controls which light? Again, you can only enter the room once, so you cannot play with the switches after you enter the room, but you can play with them as much as you want before you enter the room. One entry is all it takes to determine which switch controls which light.   View Answers (4)

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate

New York, NY

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2012.

Interview Details – First Round is the online test about C language knowledge.
Second Round is the 1:1 technical interview on campus.
Third Round is the 1:1 technical interview on campus.
Fourth Round is the technical interview with manager and the behavior interview with HR.

Interview Questions

• How to reverse a string by word like "I love California" to "California love I"   View Answer
  • There is a linked list, only given the pointer of one node, how to delete that node in the linked list.   View Answers (2)
  • Some knowledge about virtual memory, memory segments, data structure like BST and hash table, write down the binary search code.   Answer Question
  • knowledge about static keyword, write down the itoa function, the difference between memcpy function and memmove function.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details – It was a online test, my advice is that don't pick Java or C++, C would be a lot easier.

Interview Question – Dynamic binding in C++   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewer was welcoming and very knowledgeable. He presented me with a problem that his own team had been working on the year before. Without revealing anything about their own solution, he guided me through the development process and asked me questions about each road block. Topics included data structures and algorithms, caching, and scientific computation. He also asked me to code out atoi in C.

Interview Questions

• Implement a platform-independent version of atoi in C   View Answer
  • Quant's on his team use extremely complex equations to generate 3-D surfaces with thousands of points. What is the most efficient way of storing these surfaces?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

New York, NY

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

Interview Details – The following are the phases in the interview
- C Skills test
- Phone Interview
- On-Site Interview

Interview Questions

• How do you remove extra parenthesis in a given equation
    Ex: ((a+b))*c should be converted to (a+b)*c
      View Answers (3)
  • How do you reverse a number without storing it in an array
    Ex: 412 should be printed as 214
      View Answers (3)
  • There are several log files coming by date with product ids and I need to report the top 10 (product ids) during a moving period of 1 month. Discussed about the data structures needed to implement the solution.   Answer Question
  • Differences in application development for a mobile platform and a normal pc platform.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2011.

Interview Details – After applying through Bloomberg's website, I received an email about a week or two later saying that I had made it through a round of resume screening and I was asked to take an online skills assessment test. This test consisted of basic IQ sort of things (shape rotations/reflections), or things you might see on the LSAT exam (given 8 statements, what order did the horses place in a race?)

2-3 days after the IQ Test, I was asked to set up a phone interview which took place the following week. Because I don't have a computer science background, they asked "Get to know you" type questions about my past experience, and then asked targeted questions that are basically round-about ways to get you to consider computer science problems.

Within a week I had been asked for an on-site interview, which I went to a few weeks later. This interview consisted of three stages. In the first, I met with three interviewers who asked me questions to gauge my understanding of algorithms and high level design, and they asked me to write down a program in full syntax for the language I had the most experience in (Java). In the second round, I met with a senior member and he asked questions to gauge my interest and fit with the company, as well as to gauge my ability to transition into an IT position from an engineering background (What makes you think you would be happy doing this type of job every day when your experience is primarily in research?) The third and last round consisted of meeting with a man from HR and he asked very general questions, then gave me a super-brief tour around 2 floors of the building.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about designing Facebook's "Suggest a friend" feature? How would you choose WHICH people to suggest as friends?   View Answer
  • Write a java program that can convert a string of numbers (e.g. "5387") into an integer (5387).   View Answers (4)
  • One question to see if I could understand Linked Lists and how to manipulate them, having never heard of them before.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I saw the salary range that had been posted on this website and thought it was fair, so I accepted it.