Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

3.2

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

I was interviewed on campus ( University of Maryland ,college park ) . I got a call through career fair . The first interview happened at the fair itself, I was asked a simple mathematical questions , and a simple programming questions .
Then there were 2 back to back tech interview . Some of the questions that were asked :
          Given a list of exchange rates , between several currencies . Find out if it is possible to profit while moving through currency , exchanging , and ending up at the same currency you started with .
          There was a question about implementing vectors ( from STL ) .
         To implement a queue by using stacks .

Third interview was a not really technical although person asked me about python , asked me to write some basic code in python .

Interview Questions
  • The question about inner workings of templates in C++, syntax etc , was unexpected . I had coded and prepared from a more algorithm and data structure point of view . I knew some these c++ internals , but that was not the skill i was showcasing . I have given other interviews , and such software companies ,rarely ask these language specific questions . As a result whatever interviews i gave post this one , i claimed to know only C, lol.   Answer Question
I did not do much negotiation . I had only one offer back then .

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Have phone interview. In that one, I was Asked CS fundamental questions and OOP concepts. Mainly about c++.
    Next week, I was invited to their company to have an IN-House interview. Have two rounds of tech interviews. And HR came in and told me they will reply me within 5 days.

Interview Questions
    • Give a function called "fun" and imagine what does this function do.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

I went to my school career fair, and I got an interview with Bloomberg by talking to them and solving their problems in place. There were 2 rounds; each round they asked me technical questions about hash tables, linked lists and also behavioral questions like "Have you ever imagined what you would do in our company?"

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

Applied at career fair, got a response after a couple weeks for an in-person interview. Interviewer asked about linked-lists and basic details about what I was interested in. I wrote my answer in Java but the position was for a C++ position. Another person I know was asked questions about bit-shifting and C programming.

Anonymous Employee in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2013.

I got the interview from a on-campus career fair. The first day was pretty easy. The interviewer started off asking me about what I knew about the company, what I would do in the company if I got a job offer. Then, he asked me a simple but required logic thinking + correct implementation on the spot problem that I have never seen. At the end of the interview, he set me up to the 2nd interview which was the day right after it. The second interviewer asked me the same behavioral questions, and he gave me a problem about hash table, another problem about linked list. I got a rejection a week after that.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Campus job interview was a streamlined version of actual interview. So it helped me land in a job quickly

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2013.

The phone interview was mundane and consisted of typical Data Structures and tell me about your projects type of questions, one good question was to when does the compiler necessarily not make a function marked inline as inline. I was also asked a puzzle.

Was invited for the onsite interview, had my interviewed scheduled at 12:00 pm. Started the interview at around 12:05 pm, the first few questions where the general tell me about yourself and your projects. Then asked me about multithreading and problems associated with it, then asked about when deadlocks would occur. Difference between Semaphores and Mutex, by this time there where two interviewers, one shadow, one fairly senior, enter third interviewer at 12:13-12:15 pm, again, tell me about yourself etc.. The new interviewer asked me how to find the square root of a number without using the square root function, I knew the solution, he however asked me return the closest integer, so I was trying to figure that out, wrote a little code and he suddenly tells that's okay and asks me to write a test utility function for the sqrt function, i.e given a number and a possible guess please return if its actually the sqrt of the number, fair enough, it would just be a simple if else statement once we have used our sqrt function previously written. He had this you-are-wrong kind of face on, I was really worried and got all tensed. In hindsight, I guess he just expected me not to use the sqrt function and return true/false using just the utility function, I feel slightly flustered now, mainly because he could have just asked me that, it was neither a trick question nor a question that required a lot of thought. Anyways, now the senior interviewer asks me how to find if two lists intersect, I explained it to him (the answer is in CareerCup I guess), asked him if I should write the code, he told that wouldn't be needed. Then the other interviewer asks me about String compression, and a simpler version actually, as in aaabbbaacc would be a3b3a2c2, that was simple, told him how I could do it, in the hindsight I feel I should have given a in-place solution ( not a big deal, just required him to ask me a couple of questions on it or clarify if there is an better space efficient code is possible), again, asked him if I should write the code, he says no. The time is 12:52 PM, the guy who came in late wrapped the interview telling its almost time up, I said we could go back to the sqrt function and figure out if the solution I gave would work with a little tweaks (it would work). Then they ask me if I have any questions for them, etc etc. 12:56 PM they wrap up the interview, and they ask me to wait in the room, 15 mins later the recruiter comes in and tells me that they wouldn't continue with the interview. I felt shattered, I did not expect it at all, I did answer their questions. What was depressing was that they judged my performance on a single round of interview, I would have been okay if I actually performed bad, but my performance definitely warranted at-least may be another round to judge me, it was surely not soo off-mark that I had to be sent off immediately. Definitely this was one of the worst interviews I've faced, mainly because their perception of you is that you are a bad candidate and the interview is focused on assuring themselves that you are indeed bad rather than trying to get the best of you assuming you are actually good. Another evident problem I could see was that they just don't care, why?, because the interviews are basically general, once you've finished your training you need to again find a team that is wiling to accept you, since the interviews are general and they know that you may or may not be a part of their team, they don't care losing you. The i-don't-care attitude was so evident when I saw the guy came in late + he yawned in between the interview.

The post probably makes you feel that I may be sore loser trying to vent my opinions here, I can assure you I am not, I've gotten over the interview and just wanted to give you guys a big heads-up for your interviews.

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2013.

Applied to 2 new grad positions with identical job description. Got reject for one position and about a week after that got an email that they are interested in scheduling a phone interview for the other position.

I have about an year and half of work experience so I was asked a few questions about my current job and explain how the whole system works. Then I was asked some very mundane computer science fundamental questions. I felt the interviewer was interested in definitions from the textbook. Then he asked me a simple coding question (Loop in a linked list) and just asked me to explain the algorithm. Finally he asked a puzzle.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Applied at Senior year at the career fair. They called me after 2 weeks and invited me to New York and had interview and I was offered.

Interview Questions
    • What is the greatest challenge of providing financial information to customers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2013.

Applied online and received an email to set up an initial phone screening. It was frustrating as they contacted me for a different position than the one I applied for, and was unqualified for it.

First interview was a typical candidate screening, heavy on work experience and education from my resume, with some behavioral questions.

Made it to the next round which was a technical phone interview. The interviewer was very nice, guided me trough the questions, even explaining answers to the questions I did not know. As expected I did not move on the further rounds as my background did not fit and thus could not answer all of the questions posed.

Interview Questions
    • Very in depth CS questions on topics such as binary trees, algorithms, try/catch blocks, OOP, etc. If you come from a CS background (which I did not, despite having programming experience in my current position), these are your run of the mill questions for a software development position.   Answer Question