Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
245 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

Interview Details – First they asked questions about my background and then I got basic code problem to ask me to print all repeating characters into the form " 'the character' '#' ' the number' ". Then a problem about data structure and the time complexity and how to modify the data structure and get a better performance in time complexity.

Interview Question – What data structure will you use to store all the names of clients and if one name is associate to different people then I have to store the number of people who share the same name?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

Interview Details – First had to go through an online IQ-type test, then about a week later was scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview mostly consisted of technical questions and skill-based knowledge, with a little bit of work history. After successfully getting through the phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview in New York. Bloomberg took care of all the travel arrangements, including flight, hotel, and a car from the airport. The building was very nice and easy to find. I was given security clearance to go upstairs where I met the HR person who was my contact for the day who brought me to my two technical interviewers. They asked a lot of programming and algorithm questions, and one design questions. Some of the questions were kind of tough, as they were some things that I learned years ago and hadn't needed or touched since. I would recommend that you really brush up on your fundamentals before the interview. I got an e-mail the next day saying that I didn't get the position, so I'm happy that they got back to me so quickly.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

Interview Details – First, On-line test. Problems are like count the number of letters in a sentence.etc.
Then I got a phone interview. probability question, math problems and coding problems.
 1. Find the biggest number in an array without sorting.
 2. given 99 numbers from 1 to 100 no-duplicate, find the number that is not there between 1 to 100; given 98 numbers from 1 to 100 no-duplicate, find the two numbers missing between 1 to 100.

Then I got an onsite interview.
Since I am not CS major, they just ask you given a array, how to find the two biggest number.
How to randomize a deck of cards. write a program.

Interview Questions

• Find the biggest number in an array without sorting.   Answer Question
  • Given 99 numbers from 1 to 100 no-duplicate, find the number that is not there between 1 to 100; given 98 numbers from 1 to 100 no-duplicate, find the two numbers missing between 1 to 100.   View Answers (3)
  • Given a array, how to find the two biggest number,write psydo code   Answer Question
  • How to randomize a deck of cards.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2011.

Interview Details – I got the phone interview after applying online about 2 weeks, the question is about some algorithms, there are two important questions, the first one is that there is an array which includes 99 numbers, and the numbers from 1 to 100, no same number, how could you find the missing one. The second question is that there are 8 buttons, 7 of them are some, one is a bit little heavier, and you have a balance, how could find the heavier one, you can just use the balance twice.

Interview Questions

• the first one is that there is an array which includes 99 numbers, and the numbers from 1 to 100, no same number, how could you find the missing one.   View Answer
  • The second question is that there are 8 buttons, 7 of them are some, one is a bit little heavier, and you have a balance, how could find the heavier one, you can just use the balance twice.   View Answers (4)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted application online on both my university`s career website and Bloomberg career site. One week later I received a notification of completing an online assessment test. After finished the test, I was asked to schedule an phone interview. Two weeks later in the phone interview, I was first asked about why Bloomberg? Why do you discontinue current interest and choose financial industry? Then asked some technical questions about c++, linked list, hash table and BST. After that, three brain teaser questions. Overall, the interview is not difficult, but I think I screwed up because I did badly in behavior questions

Interview Questions

• How do you reverse a linked list   View Answers (4)
  • There are 10 boxes of apples. Each apple in the boxes weights 1 pound, except that one of the boxes contains bad apples, which weights 0.9 pound each. You are given a digital weight (not a scale), and you can take apples out of the boxes. what is the minimum time of weighs to find out which box has bad apples?
    I gave one solution of 3 times using divide and conquer, but the interviewer said that 1 step is possible. So I couldn`t come up with the solution.
      View Answers (3)
  • How to design a good hash function if the key is a person`s name   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

Interview Details – Time limited iq test. Given a pattern what would be the next figure, Count the number of "h"s in a sentence, simple algorithm. Logic questions that you can find on the net and in some books. Took about 30 min.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had two rounds of on campus interviews. After which they flew me out to New York for final rounds.

Interviews start off with a short behavioral discussion, followed by coding questions, and finally there is time for questions.

Behavioral questions are very basic 'get to know you' questions

Coding questions are somewhat challenging, and fairly straightforward. Show that you can solve problems and think out loud. Any undergrad CS program should prepare you well.

I had a very positive experience. All my interviewers were very sociable and nice: people I could see myself working with.

The company culture seems to be that of constantly pushing out products with a fast paced release schedule, which could be a pro or con depending on the environment you like.

Interview Questions

• Implement a square root function.   View Answer
  • Given a list of strings, determine if there are any anagrams. What is the running time of your algorithm?   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

Interview Details – One phone interview, mostly technical problems. Followed by the in-house interview. First hour is technical, second hour a case study and behavior questions, and finally talked with HR.

Interview Question – write the code to calculate Fibonacci numbers   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – 3 rounds interview. Talked with 2 people separately in the first round. One guy just asked me some general questions and the other guy ask me several programming questions like string inversion. In the second round interview, I talked with a manager and he asked me several algorithm questions. In the final round, I talked with a HR first, then I talked with another alumni. He asked me 2 programming questions and I skewed up.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

Interview Details – Took the online assessment test in C. Thought I did not do well as some of the questions were tough, nevertheless made it to the phone interview. The interviewer asked about the projects that I was involved with in the past one year. Asked me to explain why I chose C/C++ instead of JAVA to implement my projects.

Then two programming questions: Write code to search and delete an element from a doubly linked list. Write a program to reverse each word in a string and remove spaces say "i am good" to "imadoog", I gave a solution, then he asked me to do it in-place, which I did as well. These are the easiest questions that one can expect so the possibility of messing up is limited. So I was very surprised that I got a reject, I am still wondering how the "very smart Bloomberg interviewer's" decide whom to select, may be they toss a coin at the end of the interview or make a decision before they begin!

My two cents: Take their interview, but put more energy and time preparing for other companies, cause for this one you never know which way the decision would go!

Interview Questions

• Write code to search and delete an element from a doubly linked list.   View Answer
  • Write a program to reverse each word in a string and remove spaces say "i am good" to "imadoog".   View Answers (3)