Bloomberg L.P. Financial Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014

3.3

248 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2011.

After applying through Bloomberg's website, I received an email about a week or two later saying that I had made it through a round of resume screening and I was asked to take an online skills assessment test. This test consisted of basic IQ sort of things (shape rotations/reflections), or things you might see on the LSAT exam (given 8 statements, what order did the horses place in a race?)

2-3 days after the IQ Test, I was asked to set up a phone interview which took place the following week. Because I don't have a computer science background, they asked "Get to know you" type questions about my past experience, and then asked targeted questions that are basically round-about ways to get you to consider computer science problems.

Within a week I had been asked for an on-site interview, which I went to a few weeks later. This interview consisted of three stages. In the first, I met with three interviewers who asked me questions to gauge my understanding of algorithms and high level design, and they asked me to write down a program in full syntax for the language I had the most experience in (Java). In the second round, I met with a senior member and he asked questions to gauge my interest and fit with the company, as well as to gauge my ability to transition into an IT position from an engineering background (What makes you think you would be happy doing this type of job every day when your experience is primarily in research?) The third and last round consisted of meeting with a man from HR and he asked very general questions, then gave me a super-brief tour around 2 floors of the building.

Interview Questions
  • How would you go about designing Facebook's "Suggest a friend" feature? How would you choose WHICH people to suggest as friends?   View Answer
  • Write a java program that can convert a string of numbers (e.g. "5387") into an integer (5387).   View Answers (4)
  • One question to see if I could understand Linked Lists and how to manipulate them, having never heard of them before.   Answer Question
I did not negotiate. I saw the salary range that had been posted on this website and thought it was fair, so I accepted it.

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

First they asked questions about my background and then I got basic code problem to ask me to print all repeating characters into the form " 'the character' '#' ' the number' ". Then a problem about data structure and the time complexity and how to modify the data structure and get a better performance in time complexity.

Interview Questions
    • What data structure will you use to store all the names of clients and if one name is associate to different people then I have to store the number of people who share the same name?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

First had to go through an online IQ-type test, then about a week later was scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview mostly consisted of technical questions and skill-based knowledge, with a little bit of work history. After successfully getting through the phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview in New York. Bloomberg took care of all the travel arrangements, including flight, hotel, and a car from the airport. The building was very nice and easy to find. I was given security clearance to go upstairs where I met the HR person who was my contact for the day who brought me to my two technical interviewers. They asked a lot of programming and algorithm questions, and one design questions. Some of the questions were kind of tough, as they were some things that I learned years ago and hadn't needed or touched since. I would recommend that you really brush up on your fundamentals before the interview. I got an e-mail the next day saying that I didn't get the position, so I'm happy that they got back to me so quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Design an online library system.   Answer Question
    • Write a function that returns the element x positions from the end of a linked list.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

First, On-line test. Problems are like count the number of letters in a sentence.etc.
    Then I got a phone interview. probability question, math problems and coding problems.
     1. Find the biggest number in an array without sorting.
     2. given 99 numbers from 1 to 100 no-duplicate, find the number that is not there between 1 to 100; given 98 numbers from 1 to 100 no-duplicate, find the two numbers missing between 1 to 100.

Then I got an onsite interview.
    Since I am not CS major, they just ask you given a array, how to find the two biggest number.
    How to randomize a deck of cards. write a program.

Interview Questions
    • Find the biggest number in an array without sorting.   Answer Question
    • Given 99 numbers from 1 to 100 no-duplicate, find the number that is not there between 1 to 100; given 98 numbers from 1 to 100 no-duplicate, find the two numbers missing between 1 to 100.   View Answers (3)
    • Given a array, how to find the two biggest number,write psydo code   Answer Question
    • How to randomize a deck of cards.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2011.

I got the phone interview after applying online about 2 weeks, the question is about some algorithms, there are two important questions, the first one is that there is an array which includes 99 numbers, and the numbers from 1 to 100, no same number, how could you find the missing one. The second question is that there are 8 buttons, 7 of them are some, one is a bit little heavier, and you have a balance, how could find the heavier one, you can just use the balance twice.

Interview Questions
    • the first one is that there is an array which includes 99 numbers, and the numbers from 1 to 100, no same number, how could you find the missing one.   View Answer
    • The second question is that there are 8 buttons, 7 of them are some, one is a bit little heavier, and you have a balance, how could find the heavier one, you can just use the balance twice.   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

I submitted application online on both my university`s career website and Bloomberg career site. One week later I received a notification of completing an online assessment test. After finished the test, I was asked to schedule an phone interview. Two weeks later in the phone interview, I was first asked about why Bloomberg? Why do you discontinue current interest and choose financial industry? Then asked some technical questions about c++, linked list, hash table and BST. After that, three brain teaser questions. Overall, the interview is not difficult, but I think I screwed up because I did badly in behavior questions

Interview Questions
    • How do you reverse a linked list   View Answers (4)
    • There are 10 boxes of apples. Each apple in the boxes weights 1 pound, except that one of the boxes contains bad apples, which weights 0.9 pound each. You are given a digital weight (not a scale), and you can take apples out of the boxes. what is the minimum time of weighs to find out which box has bad apples?
      I gave one solution of 3 times using divide and conquer, but the interviewer said that 1 step is possible. So I couldn`t come up with the solution.
        View Answers (3)
    • How to design a good hash function if the key is a person`s name   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

Time limited iq test. Given a pattern what would be the next figure, Count the number of "h"s in a sentence, simple algorithm. Logic questions that you can find on the net and in some books. Took about 30 min.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

I had two rounds of on campus interviews. After which they flew me out to New York for final rounds.

Interviews start off with a short behavioral discussion, followed by coding questions, and finally there is time for questions.

Behavioral questions are very basic 'get to know you' questions

Coding questions are somewhat challenging, and fairly straightforward. Show that you can solve problems and think out loud. Any undergrad CS program should prepare you well.

I had a very positive experience. All my interviewers were very sociable and nice: people I could see myself working with.

The company culture seems to be that of constantly pushing out products with a fast paced release schedule, which could be a pro or con depending on the environment you like.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a square root function.   View Answer
    • Given a list of strings, determine if there are any anagrams. What is the running time of your algorithm?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2011.

One phone interview, mostly technical problems. Followed by the in-house interview. First hour is technical, second hour a case study and behavior questions, and finally talked with HR.

Interview Questions
    • write the code to calculate Fibonacci numbers   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

3 rounds interview. Talked with 2 people separately in the first round. One guy just asked me some general questions and the other guy ask me several programming questions like string inversion. In the second round interview, I talked with a manager and he asked me several algorithm questions. In the final round, I talked with a HR first, then I talked with another alumni. He asked me 2 programming questions and I skewed up.