Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Aug 28, 2014

3.3

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Software Engineer Interview

apply on campus fair, set up an interview immediately. There are 3 rounds , but I stopped at the first round. The questions are not quiet basic algorithm questions and c++.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rutgers, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rutgers, NJ

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

I got the on-campus interview from on-campus career fair. The two interviewers are both Phds in science, and working in this position currently. They are super nice to me. All the questions are about algorithms. They asked me write code on a paper at times. If you don't know the answer they'll give you hints. But you still need to know the basics of algorithm and data structures.

Interview Questions
    • Print the first 9 non-duplicate characters from a string.   Answer Question

Financial Software Engineer Interview

I got the reference and schedule and phone interview which is nearly 1 hour. Asked about programming problems and also financial questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2013.

The hiring process is very efficient. Starts with one online test including details about C and C++, and a behavior test. Then two phone interviews with their engineers. No on-site.

Interview Questions
    • 1. For the first phone interview, most of them can be searched online.
      2. For the second phone interview, multithreading related questions are asked.
        Answer Question

Financial Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

phone interview: 45 mins

You have a string which stores a number with commas. For example, a string that has the number 345,000,000. How will you manipulate this string in-place [without using any extra memory] so that the output is the original string without any commas in O(n) ?

Financial Software Engineer Interview

submit the resume, was contacted after 2 weeks to schedule a phone interview.

Financial Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2013.

University recruiting - Got interview call at career fair.

Financial Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

One phone interview followed by the on-site interview.

The phone interview covered a wide variety of questions. I feel like the interviewer asks whatever popping up in his head. To name a few: write a simple sql statement, what is the purpose of database index and how does it work, how does garbage collection work, compare Java garbage collection and Python garbage collection, inter-process communication, and so on. No coding.

During the on-site interview, I met 2 developers, one manager and one hr. The two developers mainly asked coding questions. Nothing too difficult, but they test to see if you can write code. I wrote 4 pieces of code in a 45 minute interview. The manager asks open-ended design questions.

Interview Questions
    • None. The open-ended design question needs a lot of discussion with the interviewer.   Answer Question
    I am still considering

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

1) Met the Bloomberg reps at career fair, handed resume
    2) Got a call a few hours later to schedule an on campus interview two weeks later
    3) Went into the on campus interview expecting a standard 1 hour session. (Started at 3 PM, expected to end at 4)
    4) Had 4 rounds of interviews, each about a 45 minutes long. First interview was with two software devs, second interview was with 1 software dev, third interview was with a HR, and fourth interview was with a senior programming manager.

Each interview focused heavily on data structures and OOP.

I ended up leaving at around 7 PM, so the interview was four hours long. I think they generally try to keep you for longer if they like you, or they kick you out after the first interview.

Interview Question:
    In the first two interviews, the questions were heavily focused on data structures and string manipulations. There was also a lot of pointer/reference trick questions.
    The third interview was a HR interview, so very standard HR questions. I.E. Why Bloomberg? What don't you like a Bloomberg?

The fourth interview was the hardest. When I had went in, he said that only one person had made it so far before me. (I came at 3 PM, so atleast 8 people have come and only one made it) The interview questions were very difficult. The interviewer gave me examples of codes and told me to find the most subtle errors and then to optimize the code. It had to do with OOP. The final question he asked me was how I would solve a specific problem in the company. (Not allowed to say)

Overall, I had a good time! Hope to interview with them again in the future.

Interview Questions
    • The final interviewer gave me a page long example of C code and told me to find one subtle error and optimize the code... Had no idea. It had to with OOP.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2013.

I submitted my resume on campus and got a call next day. I had an HR round on phone in which they tested my personality and then flew me off to New York.
    In new york they took a 1:1 technical interview.Questions started from easy to difficult.
    After that there was a round with the Hiring manager who offere me the salary package which i accepted.

Interview Questions
    There was simple salary offer which i accepted.