Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Average Difficulty
53 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

New York Mls, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied the position about 1 month ago and they called me after about three weeks to give me a phone interview. The questions are quite typical, like why bloomberg, how much do u know about bloomberg, talked about your curent company, what is ur biggest success, etc. They called me back in the same day and offered me an onsite interview. Let's see...

Interview Questions

Global Data

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by email regarding an interview, one for each of the following weeks. They were pretty standard phone interviews, running through my resume and then asking me about myself and why I was interested in Bloomberg.

Interview Question – Why should you get this job?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2012.

Interview Details – First round: telephone interview
Second round: one interview with two Bloomberg employees (one team leader) , 1 presentation and one test.
Final round: interview with the head of the European department (for London office)

first round was very easy, competency based interview, all about yourself.
Second round: they will ask you several times why you want to join Bloomberg and why Global data?

Final round is with the head of the EMEA department.

Interview Question – Question about Eurozone crisis   Answer Question

Skillman, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2013.

Interview Details – First round interview was over the phone. I was contacted by a campus recruiter and I was schedule in for a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of the following questions:
1) Why Bloomberg?
2) Tell me about yourself?
3) Who are Bloomberg's competitors and customers? What are some of Bloomberg's products?
4) What do you know about the company?
5) What are your career aspirations?

After a week, I was contacted by the same recruiter and scheduled for an on-site interview in Skillman, NJ. Initially, I was told that I would have two back to back interviewers with two managers in each interview. When I arrived at the interview, I was informed that the first two back to back interviews would determine whether I received a third interview with a higher-up manager. I was told by a previous employee that Bloomberg likes to throw curveballs at interviewees, so this didn't surprise me. All three interviews were mildly difficult. I was asked the following questions:
1) Tell me about yourself?
2) Why Bloomberg?
3) What are your career aspirations? Short term and long term?
4) Impact of housing market on bond and equity markets?
5) What's the difference between a stock and a bond? Give me a definition for both?
6) Give me an example of a derivative?
7) What is the difference between futures and forward contracts?
8) Tell me about some recent financial stories you have been following?
9) Give me an example of a time you failed at something?
10) How did you work with a team in your previous jobs?
11) Why did you not receive offers from your previous internships?
12) I was asked a number of questions about my background and previous job experience.
13) What's going to set you apart from all the other candidates? (They really didn't want a generic answer on this one. Saying you're a hard-worker or a team-player was not going to cut it.)
Overall, the interviewers were very clear about the type of person they were trying to recruit. They were very stern, but respectful. They definitely tried to intimidate me by giving no facial expressions on whether my answers were acceptable or not. I had a good experience and would recommend that if people are looking to work in a fast-paced environment with high intensity, Bloomberg is a good fit.

Interview Question – Impact of housing market on bond and equity markets?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Starting salaries for entry-level global data analysts are non-negotiable. I tried anyway, but they did not budget on the number.

Global Data

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – A HR rep contacted me with times that work for me. She called me in the beginning of the time window that worked for me. The interviewer had little personality and took no time to actually get to know me beyond the few questions she had to ask.

Interview Question – What will your legacy be at your college five years from now?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process took 1 week. Apply online, got a phone interview two days later. I was expecting a lot more data analysis questions, but the interviewer did not ask any. No tough questions. Basically all behavioral questions. Also, you will be expected to answer if you have read any econ or finance related magazines such as the economist or wsj.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you have to deal with conflicts.   Answer Question

Skillman, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online in first week of October, had a phone interview 2 weeks later, and the invited for on site interview. Mostly behavior questions and past work experiences. The office was very interesting and met a lot of great people. Be prepared to answer questions in regards to the current economy as well as how you fit into the bloomberg culture.

Interview Question – 1. Tell me about yourself, walk me through your resume.
2. Why should we hire you?
3. Briefly explain the financial crisis of 2008.
4. Can it happen again?
5. How does current event from other countries affect the U.S. economy?
6. What are your career aspirations?
7. Why Bloomberg? Why not Investment Bank?
8. What makes Bloomberg different from its competitors?

The day before I interviewed, there was an article about FactSet (Bloomberg competitor) cutting about 3000 jobs. I think that definitely helped. Also remember that past work experiences are greatly valued. Make sure you can relate each experience to the job at Bloomberg.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No. Since it was an entry level, no negotiations.

Princeton, NJ

I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details – First Round Phone interview

Interview Question – The typical questions such as tell me about yourself and walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Global Data

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2013.

Interview Details – 1 day after application, HR called me and offered a phone-interview next day. Basic questions (like why bloomberg?) were asked based on my resume. Two days later I was invited to in-house interview and I had video conference intervwiew with team members. Questions were like :how would you react in certain situations? I think they wanted to check whether I am the right person and can fit to their team.

Interview Question – typical questions were aksed   Answer Question

Global Data

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Sent in an application online and got an email to schedule a phone interview.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume.
What type of interns are we looking for?
What do you know about Bloomberg?
  Answer Question

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!