Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
2,268 Interview Reviews

3.1

Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Hong Kong assessment centre was good and challenging. There were five sessions in total, involving sales, group exercise, customer experience, Bloomberg Terminal, shadowing and how to prioritise. Overall a good experience with the HK team.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Meet then in career fair, had a data structure question asked about trees. Find LCA of BST. Called for an on campus interview next day.Had 3 more rounds of interview the day after. The came back with a offer week later.

Interview Questions
    • Merge point of linked list.
      Convert decimal to binary in O(1).
      Design LRU cache.
      Paint a chess board.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

It was the standard procedure. First a phone interview and then interview at their headquarters in NYC. Not particularly difficult. I enjoyed the trip to NYC. They asked me brain teasers some programming questions in C++ and some algorithms questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Two rounds, each with two people. 1st was about data structures and algorithms, 2nd was also focusing on the same thing with a design orientation. Interviewers were quite friendly, they gave some hints from time to time.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Find the point of intersection of two linked lists 2)How would you design a text editor 3) Create a balanced binary search tree from a sorted array of integers   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

The interview process went very well. The HR workers were nice, thorough and by the time I interviewed with editorial, we hit it off. I passed a short edit test and was offered employment. Unfortunately, they rescinded my offer due to my background checks with minor violations dating as far as 5 years back. If you've ever been convicted of a misdemeanor, don't bother applying. No matter what you've accomplished the risk team won't see past it.

Financial Analytics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First round interview was a phone call that went over my CV. Basic questions took only about 10-15 minutes.

Second round I was invited to the 731 Lex office in NYC. I toured with an Analytics representative, make sure to pay attention to what they are doing and get an understanding of your day to day activities. Ask the rep a lot of questions as well. After shadowing with the rep I had a video conference interview with two managers in the SF division. They asked me questions regarding the role and whether I understood what the position entitles. I went over my resume and gave them real life experiences. I talked a little about current events. I also gave a quick sales pitch. This round is mainly seeing if your qualified and understand what you're doing. They will ask you finance and sales related questions.

Third round interview I was invited back to 731 Lex, this time everything taken care of by Bloomberg. I met with the head of the North American Analytics department. She asked me questions regarding the culture within the company. Also, a lot of questions regarding my personality and ethics.

I received a call a couple of days later saying that I received the position. I was then emailed my offer letter and given a date to accept, sign, and send over the paperwork.

I also recommend becoming qualified in Bloomberg's BESS Program offered on the terminals.

Interview Questions
    • Q: What is something currently happening in the financial world? What about within commodities?
      Q: Give me a quick sales pitch about [ usually something related to your professional/academic experience]?
      Q: If a company has a terminal not in use and decide to purchase another user, do you notify the company that their is a terminal not in use, or do you just go along with the sale?
      Q: How would you pitch to someone to use this expensive terminal? What are the main benefits of the terminal?
      Q: What are your thought's on Mr. Bloomberg's company changes

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

phone interview --> interview day (about 30 other candidates taking tour of office and doing two speed dating style interviews with other applicants in the room)--> shadowing of a Bloomberg employee who currently holds position and then meeting with two managers (one sales, one analytics)...mostly behavioral questions about what you've done and if you have previous sales experience. don't say you have interest in anything other than what you're applying for they'll hold it against you if you say you want to be at a big bank, hedge fund, etc.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

contacted the HR via email. got a reply within a week and was asked to apply online. 1st round of phone interview within another week which was followed by another round of onsite interview. Had around a month gap in between due to my inavailability

Interview Questions
    • phone: couple of questions of data structures. 1. find largest number in a really big array. 2. find if 2 numbers in an array can give a desired sum

onsite: lasted about 2 hrs. multiple questions on OS, data structures, algorithms and language specific (java for me)

View Answer

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

4 rounds, including 2 technical interviews with 2 interviewers each, 1 interview with a manager, and 1 last interview with a HR. At the begin of the interview process, a HR took all the candidate to look around the building and introduce the work environment, and then 2 guys came to me and invited me to the meeting room and began the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Can not tell the details because of the NDA, but the questions were pretty easy. Interviewees should have the ability to deal with array and string.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I applied online in October for the January 2015 Product Sales & Analytics position and received an invitation to do a phone interview several weeks later. Following the phone interview, I did not receive an invitation for the second round, in person interview until late November/early December. The second round was a "career day" feature of the company which included a tour, a Bloomberg terminal overview and two sequential interviews with current employees. Several weeks later I was invited back for a third round. This consisted of a 30 minute shadow opportunity of a person currently working in the role followed by a 2 v 1 group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Second round: Explain a difficult financial concept (to the interviewer) and pretend they had no experience with finance/economics.
      If you could only choose one, would you rather do sales or analytics?
      How do you handle sequential customers who are not interested in the product you are selling?