Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015
2,471 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Applied online. Referred by an employee. Got phone interview in a week. Then got onsite interview notice in 2 days. Onsite: 4 rounds. First 2 rounds are technical questions, 2 engineers each around. 3rd round is manager. 4th is hr.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: How to check if a function is called more than 10 times in a minute.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

You go through four cycles. Two technical interviews with interviewers who seem to have been pulled away from their desks by surprise. Then you go on to interview with a director or manager for the team you applied to. Afterwards, you'll finish off the interview process with an interview with HR. If you do not make it through at least three rounds, expect a rejection or continuation of your interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked technical questions related to data structures and algorithms.

Example: Maximum subarray problem involving gas stations.

Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Pretty easy interview, asked standard questions about past experience, expectations for next role, where do you see your career path going, also asked about how fully cycle recruiting works and why interested in the specific department

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely smooth interview process.

Start off with the application on their website. It was smooth and only a resume submission. After that I was emailed by Bloomberg to set up a phone interview which I did. The recruiter also shared a Hackerrank link for the interview. (if you are unfamiliar with Hackerrank I definitely recommend practicing on their website)

Phone Screen (2 hrs):
    The interviewer called perfectly on time and was extremely nice. After testing the connection of the hackerrank session he asked about my experience which I had prepared and I described the tasks that I had worked on in my internships. Then he asked "Why Bloomberg". Definitely prepare a series of points for that as this is crucial to your interview. After that it was technical. Questions:
    - Given a set of arbitrary float numbers in an SQL table select only the ones that are exactly 4 decimal places
    - Remove arbitrary spaces from a sentence:
    eg: "The sky is blue " --> "The sky is blue"
    - Reverse an integer:
    eg: 3421 --> 1243

I was then contacted within two days to schedule an interview onsite. The HR department is extremely efficient. They scheduled and paid for flights and hotel and they compensate you with a gift card as well.

Onsite Interview (4 rounds):
    The onsite interview begins with the tour of the building. Its an amazing office. The tour ends in a room with the first set of interviewers who find you in the group of people and take you to your interview room where you will be for the rest of the day.

Round 1 (2 hrs):
    2-on-1 interview. Interviewers are very very helpful. I feel like a struggled at times but they were encouraging and basically test you to your limit.
    First I was asked in great detail about my internship. Definitely prepare your background from your resume. They are extremely knowledgable and will delve into great details about past projects.
    The technical question was to design a stack with O(1) lookup for minimum element in the stack. They first make you optimize your design till they are satisfied and then you have to write code for push, pop.

Round 2 (2 hrs):
    Again 2-on-1 interview. These interviewers were probably the ones who were supposed to be harsh. "Why Bloomberg". Be prepared! Then they asked about database management systems. Why is is better to have that over just creating text files? But he was never satisfied with my answer but I kept trying to resolve his questions without giving up. I think that is crucial. Then I was asked to design an address book which you can use to:
    a) Get the the info of a person from the name
    b) Get the info of a person from a number

Numbers are unique but names are not. They will ask you to heavily optimize your design (most optimal design: use hash tables with key as the the name or number and value as a pointer to the location of info with binary trees to handle collisions)

At this point I noticed people being escorted out. So basically if you don't pass your first two rounds then they walk you out of the building. If not then you have an HR and managerial interview.

Round 3 (45 mins):
    An HR lady will interview you. At this point you've basically passed and they're just checking a personality fit for the job. This interview was mostly just HR related. Finding out status of visa etc. Expected salary? Where else have you applied? Do you have an offer? etc etc. Keep the answers to those to a minimum. Do not mention more than 1 or 2 companies.

Round 4 (1 hr):
    Managerial interview was by far the most relaxed interview of all. It was basically just a conversation while delving into details about the past projects. I was also asked why I chose my internship and where I applied AND where I got accepted (that was definitely a little unexpected). We discussed my goals at Bloomberg and also extra curricular activities that I would like to get involved in. When were out of time she thanked me and walked with me till the entrance of the building.

I was contacted within 3 days of the onsite interview with an offer over the phone. The official offer letter was sent by email a few days later.

P.S. The interview process took around 40 days for me because I could not make it for the recommended onsite interview date for personal reasons and had to schedule for a later date.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

They had asked for a sample of work which i provided. A week later they asked to see more, I asked to speak with someone to elaborate a bit more, they denied. Then they again asked for samples of work including a list to which i responded that I had already sent them samples and it seemed as though no one had even opened my portfolio. Soon after that i got a declination to move forward email.

Global Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was extremely fast. I was hired through an agency and went in for an interview in November with HR. My rep called me as I was heading into the subway station to start in January as they had already met headcount for December.

Interview Questions

• typical behavioral questions. knowledge of the terminal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had 6 internships in financial services for a primary competitor prior to graduation. This was key for me.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I have interviewed with mobile team @ their New York's headquarters office. There was initially one phone screening round. Questions were very easy, conceptual and straight forward.

I was called for an onsite interview. The interview was delayed for two weeks and when I made it to onsite they just had one round of technical interview with very simple questions. I don't think they were serious about the interview at all. After interview I realized that they had already hired and I was called for the interview just for a formality.

The teams moral in general was down because apparently someone from their team had left for Google.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online, got an email for a phone interview, they asked you basic questions, by Monday we scheduled a face to face interview. It was with three people, and they questioned me about my resume, describing my experience

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses? What do you know about Bloomberg? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Submitted Resume. They took a while to get back to me. About 3 weeks. Had an initial phone screening interview which was basic questions and interest in Bloomberg. Went to the office for Round 2. Was interviewed by 2 individuals. They ask about your interest in Sales and Bloomberg and what the terminal, products, and competitors are. You have to show that you are interested in economics, sales, business (i.e. took courses in college, follow business news and stats). Have to be enthusiastic about Bloomberg as well. Interview was over at 12pm so i knew i didn't make the next round. Also got to briefly shadow workers. You to engage with them and seem interested.

Interview Questions

• What is the Bloomberg terminal? It's competitiors   2 Answers

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me. Had a phone interview set up. First phone interview went well. So, they set up another phone interview since I am not local. The position was in NY. 2nd interviewer wasn't too bad, but he really pushed me to code in Java, while I don't have that expertise over the language. I had to kind of force him to write code in c++. I guess he wasn't an expert in c++. He asked me to write thread safe singleton pattern class. I wrote one in c++ (with static Singleton object with lazy initialization). I informed him why I selected static and explained about c++11 guarantees. He then asked me why is c++11 guaranteeing that (Really? I think he probably didn't get much of c++).

He asked me two questions. I cracked the first one and kind of slipped bad on 2nd one, because I couldn't recall the syntax for win32 multi-threading APIs (CreateThread, WaitforMultipleObjects, etc..). Interviewer tried to help me, but wasn't enough.

In short, first interview was about c++ and algorithms. While 2nd interview was supposed to be more about Java, which is kind of weird. Also, everything in 2nd interview was about multi-threading. See in questions section for the questions asked.

2nd interview sounded like a nice guy, but I think he didn't have enough experience conducting phone interviews because 1) he wasn't open to hearing my ideas about the solution (may be because he didn't know much c++). 2) he wanted me to code in java. I switched the language on hackerrank to c++, he switched it back to java. I then switched it back to c++ and just informed him that Java won't work. lol. That's when I figured out I won't get a recommendation for on-site round. He didn't even let me ask any questions at the end, how immature.

If I would have gotten a call further, I would probably have passed the opportunity, because after a few years of experience, one thing I have realized is that business is just people. If you can't work with them or if it is hard to work with them, you probably don't want to do business with them. Its that simple. Good luck Bloomberg!

Interview Questions

• Interview 1:
      1. virtual functions, inheritance, etc..easy to answer c++ questions. Conversation was for about 20-25 minutes
      2. Can't exactly recall, but it was about Binary Search Tree, pretty easy to find on the web. I think it was to do with levels in BST, I used recursion in the solution. Interviewer was happy with the solution. Overall call lasted for about 1 hour and 5 minutes including some questions I asked him.

Interview 2:
      1. What is mutex, semaphore?
      2. What is a singleton pattern and can you write one that is thread-safe
      3. Write a consumer producer problem. Producer produces 1000 objects and there are five consumers that consume 10 objects at a time in round robin fashion until all of them are consumed. This means that if consumer 1 consumes 10 objects, it has to wait for consumer 2, 3, 4, 5 to consume 10 objects each before it can consume other 10.

2 Answers