Bloomberg L.P. Financial Products Sales&Analytics Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2015

3.1

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied online. They contacted me within a few weeks of the submission. They asked me standard questions about the market and my previous sales experience. Also went into previous internships working in asset management. Second interview was in relation to what I knew about the company, the market, products they offered, and the overall culture of the company. Not that bad if you did your homework.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non negotiable

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied online through the Bloomberg Career website, one week after applying I was contacted for a phone interview. Basic questions (e.g. Why Bloomberg, Why Finance, Tell me about yourself, Tell me about your experience.) Two weeks later I received the email for an in-house interview request where they will fly you in and arrange for accommodations if you are outside of the Greater New York area. This involved shadowing someone on the help desk for thirty minutes and seeing how the terminal works, then there was a tour with some of the other people who were interviewing. After the tour we were brought to our individual conference rooms to wait for our interviewers to come in. I was interviewed by two women, one in sales and one in analytics. Be sure to truly know about the company, know competitors, who their clients are (corporations, banks, schools, etc.), show that you can logically work through a difficult question even if you don't know the answer. We had a role-play session where the Analyst interviewer acted as an irate client with a question about market caps, and I was to help solve this problem for them. (let it be known I had NO idea what she was talking about with market caps or what on earth the problem was) Don’t panic if that happens, take a deep breath and work out how you would solve the issue if it was a topic you DID know about. 3 days after the in-house interview I was requested back for a "second in-house" (or third interview if you count the phone one.) This again began with shadowing someone on the help desk, then straight to the interview which was again with two women, one in sales and one in analytics. They were more senior than the previous two; however, the layout of the interview was the same as the second. No role-play this time, I was asked to sell them an app on my phone. Obviously they are testing your salesman skills, and what you see as important when looking to sell something to a potential client. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, then they left, told me to wait to see if anyone else was to interview me and they came back with a man who was their boss I’m assuming. He interviewed me for about 20 minutes, and was generally getting a feel for who I am as a person, no difficult thought provoking questions. It was more so “can we work with this person” type of questions. I REALLY wanted this job, I devoted a lot of time to learning more about the company and what this position did. The company is pretty incredible to me, and it’s near impossible to not be wowed by their amazing office (and food pantries). All my interviewers seemed genuine, kind, and really wanted to find the best fit for someone to work with their team. None of the interviewers had any intimidating, throw you off your game tactics.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about something currently going on that relates to the financial markets. 2. Choose any financial product, and break it down to me as though I am someone who knows nothing about finance. 3. Choose any app on your phone and sell it to me. 4. What is your biggest regret? (this was unexpected to me)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not even attempt to negotiate, the recruiter called and laid out the offer. I immediately accepted, the offer exceeded my expectations and like I said before I REALLY wanted this job.

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Interview

First round phone interview, basic questions. Told me they would get back to me after 1-2 weeks, and after 3 weeks I contacted my interviewer and 10 minutes later got an automated email from HR telling me that I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• When have you been in a sales position, customer service position, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

First round-Phone Interview: Very basic questions. First go through your resume very quick then asked questions like--Why this position? Why Bloomberg? Tell me 3 things of a successful analyst. Second round-In house interview: They will fly you to NYC and provide accommodation. There were 40+ candidates there. First they showed you around their featured office building and then I had two interviews with two senior analyst, one is on sales side and the other is on analytics side. They asked very detailed questions of your resume. Why sales? Share your past sales experience with me. Be fully prepared and don't lie. There is one question that I didn't prepared--Tell me one thing you don't like about this position based on the job descriptions. However, don't panic and keep your confidence. I got the email to next round on the same day. Third round-Job shadow and then in house interview with two experienced analysts from the analytics department. They asked more tough questions: Product and clients, which is more important? What is the connection between sales and analytics? Why do you apply a sales position at our company instead of other companies in the street. If you can go to sales in 2 years or in 4 years, which path will you choose and why? 5 mins before the market open, a CEO and a trader come to you for help of the terminal at the same time, who will you help and why? I didn't expect these questions at all but please stay cool. They just want to know how you think and the way you do things. I answered one question wrong, but the two analysts guided me through the right answer without directly telling me. Luckily, I figured it out soon. Thus, I made it through again. So don't afraid of making mistakes in the interview correct yourself quickly and keep up with a positive attitude, they will be impressed. Final round-Interview with regional manager of analytics department. Around 30 mins without tough questions at all. He asked questions like is there any other places you apply? Why will you choose Bloomberg instead of others? Teach me sth I don't know about the market. What do you think of Michael Bloomberg? Overall, it's not a very easy nor a very tough interview process. I didn't got the offer becuz they don't provide sponsor to international students. However, the regional manager recommended me to the HK office. One thing I don't like about the interview process is the HR. They were kind of unprofessional when setting up interviews and prepare your itinerary.

Interview Questions

• 5 mins before the market open, a CEO and a trader come to you for help of the terminal at the same time, who will you help and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

First round- phone interview. Basic questions such as tell me about yourself? Why Bloomberg? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Second round- 2 speed interviews (30 min each) and then a tour. Same behavioral questions as the phone interview and also some technical questions. Tell me about yourself? Why Bloomberg? How many terminals have they sold globally? Explain the position your applying for? What are you following in the markets? How has specific news affect the stock or market? Also, make sure you know the difference between buy and sell side, and that the terminal accounts for 75% of revenue. Final interview- 2:1 more technical, less behavioral. They will be tough on you. I was late 15 min due to traffic so they were extra aggressive. They will ask more specific questions about your resume. Be on top of news and current market conditions. I mentioned tensions in Iraq and how it affects oil prices. Then, they asked me the price of oil. Luckily, I read it earlier that day. Be prepared and be confident. They will try to intimidate you.

Interview Questions

• Sell me your favorite app.   1 Answer

Financial Products Sales&Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview

I applied a position in Beijing office. Hong Kong office HR interviewed me. All basic behavior questions: Why Bloomberg? Why you? Then followed up with a role play - giving a cold call and sell a product to him. Last was Q&A section. He did not give much information on my questions, and said "that's so far you need to know" . Got the second round offer, but somehow didn't proceed in the end. The HR was a bit mean and unprofessional, which ruined my good impression about Bloomberg.

Financial Products Sales & Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

had a 1st round phone interview with HR, asked simple questions about resume, why Bloomberg, 3 qualities of a salesperson 2nd round super day in their amazing office, 2 1/2 hour interviews one-on-one, no technical questions, all behavioral, and walking through resume, asked why bloomberg, how do you stay up to date on financial news, how do you deal with difficult situations/teamwork didn't make the next round

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Initial phone interview was very short, just wanted me to run through my resume and explain why I wanted to work for Bloomberg. Was contacted a few days later and invited to the NYC office for a group interview with about 50 other kids. I interviewed with 2 people for 30 minutes each and was mainly asked behavioral questions (how would you deal with this situation, tell me about a time you failed, etc.) but also asked to explain the 2008 financial crisis and what was currently going on in the market. Thought it went well but didn't get an offer

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

1. Pre-screening interview with recruiter. 2. More thorough interview with Bloomberg (about 45 mins). Very friendly, very few unusual questions, not too difficult. 3. In-House interview. a) Shadowing for half an hour and b) Interviewed by three people, one of whom to test me on my foreign language skills, the other two with a pretty rigourous examination of CV and motivations. c) Repeat, except different three people, different foreign language, and questions more about situational judgement and role-playing. This bit was particularly difficult, they want to see if you will crack under pressure. 4. Final interview with seniors and heads of departments. To be successful in this interview: Make it clear you have a passion for finance - this is what will truly decide if you are right for the job. Have evidence of your success in client service/ what makes you good within client service. Practice role-playing and specifically how to deal with stubborn and rude clients.

Interview Questions

• Why have you applied to Bloomberg instead of other multinationals in finance?   Answer Question

Financial Product Sales & Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

1st interview (phone): Lasted 20 minutes. Why do you want to work for bloomberg? CV walkthrough. Easy overall. 2nd interview: videoconference, 2 to 1 (one from sales, one from analytics), 45 minutes. Who are our competitors? Why do you want to work for bloomberg? Why is the bloomberg platform better than thomson reuters eikon? who would you sell the BB platform in a country where we have no customers? Easy overall. 3rd interview: at the london office. 30 minutes shadowing a relatively new hire, followed by 45 minutes 2 to 1 interview (both from sales). Tell me why you would be a good salesman for bloomberg. Who are our competitors? What is the key selling point for Bloomberg's chat system? What are your weaknesses? (that's actually a pretty shite question I would've expected from someone in HR).Overall no hard or technical questions, really. I'm disappointed because I was not offered a job but I don't know what I did or said wrong; I had the feeling all 3 interviews went just as well, so it's frustrating to get no feedback upon rejection. I'd done lots of preparation on several economic topics and financial instruments, which according to other interviewees on glassdoor are usually asked in these interviews, but I was never asked any of these questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the key selling point for Bloomberg's chat system?   1 Answer