Bloomberg L.P.

1,951 Interview Reviews

3.1

BLAW SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2007.

Very diligent- yet open to any questions I had at the time. They wanted to know facts more than fluff and they looked into my background and found things that I actually forgot about. Never the less, things I never covered up. They are more interested in honesty, general character, looks (for sales position) and overall class. For sales- they do not want a sales guy- they want an intelligent person that can learn material quickly and communicate needs back to R&D.

Interview Questions
    Salaries come at a range. The average sales rep makes about 200k base salary. Bloomberg does not offer commission incentives- they are frowned upon. Instead Bloomberg offers the opportunity to work for a world class firm.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2008.

I took an online C++ test, which is very difficult, a lot of stuff on advanced C++ concepts.

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2009.

I applied for a Financial Software Development entry level position and when filling my application they asked my strongest programming language among c,c++, and Java. As I had previous experience with Java I selected it as my strongest language. The following day they sent me an email with instructions to take an online skills assessment. Reading this forum, I practiced a few IQ/Intelligence test with good results so I felt confident to take the test. I took the test and to my surprise it was all Java programming questions (syncronisation, inheritance, interfaces, polymorphism, analysing pieces of code, etc). The questions where very specific and not about general OO programming concepts eg. Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior? As I've been out of practice a bit in hands on programming I really struggled with the test. Basically I didn't remember clearly the syntax and got confused with some sentences. My recommendation is that you should study throughly your programming language selection and be ready for tricky questions.

Interview Questions
    • Which one of the following is NOT polymorphic behavior?
      What support does java.io have for preventing malicious code from altering Serialized Objects?
        Answer Question
    • When using an ArrayList as the implementation for a list collection, what happens if adding an element exceeds the ArrayList's capacity?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2009.

They do not judge you against other candidates in the initial phone screen. They want to see if you are qualified to proceed to the ‘face to face’ meeting
    They will go more in depth than you might expect in a phone screening – don’t be taken by surprise
    This will be hard
    Details on resume – anything you put on resume will be fair game for questions
    They may ask you how you did it? Why you did it ?
    They feel a good developer will understand why they do something. They love details

Good luck

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2009.

Firstly, I was contacted by then and was asked which programming language I preferred out of C, C++ and Java. I was then given 3 days to prepare for an online examination. The examination was really hard and was something that I had never encounter as an computer engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Find the error and fill in the blanks, what is the output?   Answer Question

Financial Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

Upon submitting on-line resume, was directed to a "technical exam," which was basically an IQ test. Immediately after completing the test (must have passed) I received an e-mail saying they would like to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and featured two senior Bloomberg software engineers asking me to dictate C++ and pseudocode over the phone.

Several days later I received an e-mail requesting my presence for an in-house interview in New York. Bloomberg took care of all accommodations, including airfare, hotel stay in Manhattan, a private car from La Guardia, and a $100 pre-paid gift card for expenses (about $1000 in total). The in-house interview pitted myself in an 8ft x 8ft room against two senior software engineers who grilled me for 1 hour, primarily on lists, sorting, and memory storage. The situation was very high-pressure, uncomfortable, and one of the engineers was fairly rude. I was sent on my way and received a rejection e-mail while sitting in La Guardia for my flight back.

To anyone considering this position, please note that Bloomberg seems more concerned with having someone who has obscure rules and syntax memorized than someone who is a creative problem solver and logical thinker. If being a by-the-book stooge is your gig, Bloomberg will love you.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions involving lists, sorting, and memory storage issues were asked at each interview level.   View Answer

Quantitative Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

I apply on line, then after a week I got a email said I pass the resume review to get into the next around, an online test for my strongest programming language. After two days, I got a link to the online test, the test is really hard, ask lots of detail questions.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

I got the information about the company from college and apply online - both college career website and the company's. 3 weeks later, I was asked to take an online programming test, I choose to take C++ test.(You have 4 options, C, C++, Java, and C#). Really difficult, for only 3 minutes for each question with 5 options to select. 20 in all. But I think I could have done much better if I had knew how the test would be like. Luck is an important part.

Interview Questions
    • What function can be used to display base, eg. hex, in C++ and what's the format of it?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

Resume submitted, immediate response with an "Application Acknowledgement" email confirmation. A few days later a one hour almost expert level UNIX/C/C++ telephone techincal interview was scheduled, one interviewer. In depth questions almost down to textbook definitions that I last saw in school. Technical questions which included Multithreading and general problem solving questions.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2010.

After screen test was invited for an interview. Really impressive building, very fancy environment, 1 tour of questions was easy, it's the 2 where i screwed up. They asked me some questions related to TCP Ip protocol, I can't even remember what exact quetions were but I coudn't answer. I didn't expect much from that interview. In a week of time I got a phone call from them that I am not a person they were lookign for...