Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Nov 25, 2014
1,965 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

I got email from HR to give five dates on which I could give my interview. But, on the day of my interview they asked to reschedule it as the interviewer was not available. Then, on the day of my interview I got call at the exact time, firstly I was asked to tell me about myself and how i got to know about Bloomberg..etc. Initially I misunderstood the question and wasted 15 mins, interviewer asked me about my solution and then I realised that I misinterpreted the question. I quicky came up with correct solution and then we did a dry run of it. He told me that he got my logic and then asked me to code, but despite giving me n extra 5 mins I couldn't complete the code( I did things in haste). After the interview, I tried and it took me 10 more mins to complete the code. (Posting the solution as well)

Interview Questions
    • If the input is 6, then output should be the series 6 3 10 5 16 8 4 2 1, similarly if input is 10 then it should be 10 5 16 8 4 2 1, and if input is 4 then output is 4 2 1.   View Answer

Software Engineer 2015 Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

Got an email from Bloomberg for a phone interview. Sent back a time and date for the call. Questions were about past projects, academic projects, internship project. 2 algorithm questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1. A sentence has additional spaces between words. Remove the additional spaces, in-place. Like
      Input - "I am a student", Output - "I am a student".
      2. 2 sorted arrays, both has N elements. 2nd array has 2N length, where last N positions are vacant. Merge the arrays in sorted way in the 2nd array.
        Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

I met the Bloomberg team at a YHack 2014, and was immediately impressed by the product. I applied that year, and received a phone interview, which contained mostly algorithmic questions. This year, I applied again, received a phone interview, and was asked questions questions of the same variety (difference between C++ and Java, difference between a BST and a hash table). They also covered some aspects of my resume, and asked me to describe a project I had worked on, some challenges I faced, and how I overcame them. I heard back that same week that I'd received a campus interview with them in New York, which I've yet to attend.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between stack and heap memory   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Process took about a month, applied online and got a phone interview, pretty straight forward. Three days later got offered an on site interview, went to NYC and interviewed with three more people, the questions this time were harder. The first two interviewers were really nice, however the last one was not that much, he had a rather heavy accent so Understanding some questions was not easy, and his interview was just 30 minutes long, as opposed to 45 min for the others.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a method for a Fibonacci sequence where instead of adding the last 2 elemenT's you add the last n elements. For n=3. 1 1 1 3 5 9...   View Answers (6)

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Had four on-campus interviews following a career fair--three technical and one with an HR guy. I was allowed to use any language. There were six questions. Two were about implementing some common function, such as a String class constructor. One required partitioning a list around a given element. One required merging two schedules that might overlap in some parts into one schedule. The last two are described below.

Interview Questions
    • You're given a binary tree--not necessarily complete or proper--and you need to give each node a "friend" pointer that points to the node to its right in the tree. This node is on the same level but is not necessarily a sibling, which makes the problem a little tricky. The friend pointer of the node farthest to the right on each level should be null.   View Answer
    • You're given two arrays of the same size filled with positive integers, and an integer 0 <= N <= 255. You need to determine whether N can be written as the sum of some number from the first array and some number from the second array.   View Answers (3)

Global Data Training Program Interview

Submitted resume, take 3 weeks to process. Scheduled interview, 7-9 questions about 20- 30 minutes... sounds like the HR was recording only and you feel like no one was on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about bloomberg? Why Bloomberg? What do you know about global data? Tell me about yourself. etc...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

On campus Career fair - submitted resume. got a call the next day for on campus interview. There were 4 technical rounds. all on campus. after 5 days got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • mostly all questions were based on data structures and algorithms. expect atleast on brain teaser if you clear the first round of the interviews.
      Questions to me were- sorting an arraylist containing 1's and 0's. how to implement LRU cache. How would you implement an auto-complete feature. encoding a word file to save space- any ideas?
        View Answers (2)

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Typical behavorial questions. Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work at Bloomberg, What in particular made you want to work here, where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Intern Interview

Applied through school and had a few rounds of interviews. Each interviewer had a different approach, one would test my thinking skills , another coding skills and language skills. It was along process.

Interview Questions
    • Code up the collision management system you used in your project. Tell em more about your past projects   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

If you apply through an on campus recruiter, you will first go through an on campus interview most probably. If not then a phone interview. There are a total of about 3 interview, before you get called on site for the final interviews. You get your decision pretty soon after.

Interview Questions
    • Given two arrays of sorted integers, how would you find the minimum difference in O(n) time.   View Answers (3)