Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
2,325 Interview Reviews

3.1

Financial Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

It was the standard procedure. First a phone interview and then interview at their headquarters in NYC. Not particularly difficult. I enjoyed the trip to NYC. They asked me brain teasers some programming questions in C++ and some algorithms questions.

Interview Questions

• It was a brainteaser with monks.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

contacted the HR via email. got a reply within a week and was asked to apply online. 1st round of phone interview within another week which was followed by another round of onsite interview. Had around a month gap in between due to my inavailability

Interview Questions

• phone: couple of questions of data structures. 1. find largest number in a really big array. 2. find if 2 numbers in an array can give a desired sum

onsite: lasted about 2 hrs. multiple questions on OS, data structures, algorithms and language specific (java for me)

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was initially under the impression I was interviewing for a job, but Bloomberg's interview experience was more like a bad version of 'Shark Tank' meets 'The Apprentice'. The unifying factor between both being the utter lack of respect shown toward their candidates.

My phone interviewer flat-out forgot my interview, and even when we rescheduled to a week later, he was 15 minutes late and confrontational about it. We coded some simple questions on HackerRank, that I will go over in the next section. I received an in-house interview invitation the next day.

When we visited on-site, the R&D point of contact was more interested in talking to the candidates about the horsehoe shape of the building and the significance of the Koi fish in the cafeteria, than giving us ANY useful information about our interview process. NONE whatsoever. From what I could glean from other interviewees and Glassdoor, Bloomberg has a four-stage interview. If you fail any of these interviews (the reasons, however intangible, the interviewers WILL NOT tell you) you are escorted out.

Out.

When you say out, you mean to the waiting area, right? Where the recruiter informs you of next steps? Nope. You're escorted through the elevators, to the lobby and unceremoniously kicked out. Now, I've given a ton of interviews and I have another offer, so I know what a tech interview should be like. But this sheer lack of respect is what got to me. Bloomberg seems to think that because college grads are a dime a dozen, it's alright to afford us ZERO respect.

And thank you for the experience, you Fortune 500 megacorp, but I think we deserve better.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:

1. Maximum sum subarray problem. Given an array of stock prices, how will you maximize your profit.
      2. Convert an roman numeral to an integer.

On-Site:

1. Find the longest path in a binary tree. It doesn't need to originate in the root, it could even pass through the root.

2. I don't think the interviewer understood his question himself: Imagine a singly-linked list in the shape of the number 3, with all the heads meeting and eventually pointing to null. If you're given the three heads in any other, how will you find out the lowest head?

3. I'm thinking of a number. Write a function to guess it. Complexity.

4. Differences between C++/Java.

5. Given the definition of an Iterator, define a prime iterator.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2015.

Interview

There are 4 rounds in total. The first two were technical rounds. The third round was with team manager, I guess and last round was with HR. The technical rounds were 2-1. I liked the whole interview process. There were many instances, where I got, but interviews helped me out.

Interview Questions

• priority queue implementation
      print a matrix in some specified in manner
      Linked list questions

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process went very well. The HR workers were nice, thorough and by the time I interviewed with editorial, we hit it off. I passed a short edit test and was offered employment. Unfortunately, they rescinded my offer due to my background checks with minor violations dating as far as 5 years back. If you've ever been convicted of a misdemeanor, don't bother applying. No matter what you've accomplished the risk team won't see past it.

Interview Questions

• Why did I leave my last job?   1 Answer

Financial Analytics Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

First round interview was a phone call that went over my CV. Basic questions took only about 10-15 minutes.

Second round I was invited to the 731 Lex office in NYC. I toured with an Analytics representative, make sure to pay attention to what they are doing and get an understanding of your day to day activities. Ask the rep a lot of questions as well. After shadowing with the rep I had a video conference interview with two managers in the SF division. They asked me questions regarding the role and whether I understood what the position entitles. I went over my resume and gave them real life experiences. I talked a little about current events. I also gave a quick sales pitch. This round is mainly seeing if your qualified and understand what you're doing. They will ask you finance and sales related questions.

Third round interview I was invited back to 731 Lex, this time everything taken care of by Bloomberg. I met with the head of the North American Analytics department. She asked me questions regarding the culture within the company. Also, a lot of questions regarding my personality and ethics.

I received a call a couple of days later saying that I received the position. I was then emailed my offer letter and given a date to accept, sign, and send over the paperwork.

I also recommend becoming qualified in Bloomberg's BESS Program offered on the terminals.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is something currently happening in the financial world? What about within commodities?
      Q: Give me a quick sales pitch about [ usually something related to your professional/academic experience]?
      Q: If a company has a terminal not in use and decide to purchase another user, do you notify the company that their is a terminal not in use, or do you just go along with the sale?
      Q: How would you pitch to someone to use this expensive terminal? What are the main benefits of the terminal?
      Q: What are your thought's on Mr. Bloomberg's company changes

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

4 rounds, including 2 technical interviews with 2 interviewers each, 1 interview with a manager, and 1 last interview with a HR. At the begin of the interview process, a HR took all the candidate to look around the building and introduce the work environment, and then 2 guys came to me and invited me to the meeting room and began the first round.

Interview Questions

• Can not tell the details because of the NDA, but the questions were pretty easy. Interviewees should have the ability to deal with array and string.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

phone interview --> interview day (about 30 other candidates taking tour of office and doing two speed dating style interviews with other applicants in the room)--> shadowing of a Bloomberg employee who currently holds position and then meeting with two managers (one sales, one analytics)...mostly behavioral questions about what you've done and if you have previous sales experience. don't say you have interest in anything other than what you're applying for they'll hold it against you if you say you want to be at a big bank, hedge fund, etc.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

I applied online in October for the January 2015 Product Sales & Analytics position and received an invitation to do a phone interview several weeks later. Following the phone interview, I did not receive an invitation for the second round, in person interview until late November/early December. The second round was a "career day" feature of the company which included a tour, a Bloomberg terminal overview and two sequential interviews with current employees. Several weeks later I was invited back for a third round. This consisted of a 30 minute shadow opportunity of a person currently working in the role followed by a 2 v 1 group interview.

Interview Questions

• Second round: Explain a difficult financial concept (to the interviewer) and pretend they had no experience with finance/economics.
      If you could only choose one, would you rather do sales or analytics?
      How do you handle sequential customers who are not interested in the product you are selling?

Journalism Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

The interview was very short, it lasted for maybe 5 minutes. The interviewee was not nice and did not seem to be interested in why would you like to get this internship. He started out by asking: "What is the biggest financial issue right now?" and when I struggled to answer immediately, he moved to another question. The interview was not a nice experience.