Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
1,811 Interview Reviews

3.1

Campus Ambassador Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I was referred by another employee, so the process was fairly easy. I just had to submit my resume and a cover letter and then the hiring process and interview was fairly straightforward and easy. There was a phone interview, a Skype interview, a one-on-one and then I was offered the position. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2010.

intense, frenetic work culture was evident during interview in DC. High stress among my soon-to-be supervising editor who left a few months after I joined the company. Years ago, hiring process was relatively informal, based upon editors' review of clips and resume and final interview with Editor in Chief Matt Winkler. Tip back then: Say ``yes'' emphatically if Winkler asks whether you want to work for Bloomberg.

Sales & Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2014.

I applied online through my university job board. After a phone interview and personality test, I was invited to a final interview in New York. I first had a 45-minute interview with two managers, who asked me questions I had prepared for using reviews on Glassdoor. I was ready for every single question and had no problems. Although the main interviewer was poker-faced, it went well. Then I went on a tour of the building with another candidate. Last, I shadowed someone in Equity and Commodities. The interview went very well but I wasn't offered a position.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2014.

They conducted two phone interviews followed by a final round onsite interview. The one thing that bothered me is that I waited 3 weeks to hear back and finally once I reached out, they gave me a generic email of rejection. It would have been nice to get the yes or no sooner when they gave a two week timetable.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly they didn't ask anything crazy. They just asked about my background and what makes me a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

Initial contact set up through the school. Two rounds of phone interviews followed, and an all expenses paid trip to Princeton, NJ. Two in person interviews, two on one. The interviews were not bad, but you compete against at least eight other candidates if you make it to the in-person round. The recruiter was nice and we exchanged follow up emails, but after Bloomberg decides you are not the right candidate, it is impossible to get back in touch with them.

Financial Product Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First it was a phone interview which is fairly basic last around 10 minutes. After you get that they fly you up to NYC and then you meet with two managers at the same time. They ask you what do you know about the position/company/yourself. Why sales, why this position, talk about something going on in the market. It was fairly easy. Just prepare well and study the description. Also ask in depth questions. They also ask you to sell them something which is tricky because I have more financial service experience then sales. They key to this question is to literally sell them a product by asking the interviewers all questions. For example, if you are selling a phone ask them, "How do you usually communicate with individuals that are long distance? Would you enjoy a product that can allow you to do that more efficiently? blah blah blah. I didn't do that therefore I believe that was my downfall. Then they sent me home after that which apparently means you aren't getting an offer. I believe there was another interview during that day. Also not really sure what they are even looking for in a candidate. Seemed to be more specific.

Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2013.

I had an initial phone interview that was very quick, it lasted maybe 10 minutes. They flew us all in, about 50 of us, to DC. We had a tour of the DC office and then had an hour interview scheduled for an hour. I interviewed with 2 managers, 1 one for sales and 1 for analytic. They were very nice and did not ask any trick questions.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Straight forward. A few days after I applied online, I got an email to set up a 1st interview with HR. That interview was 10 minutes and basic "why bloomberg?" "why looking to leave current position?". He said someone would follow up for the next round. Next day got an email to set that up. There were probably 50 of us there, we split up and some had a building tour while the others interviewed with 1 sales person and 1 analytics. Mostly fit/behavioral. Then came back a week later to shadow someone on the help desk and do an hour interview with someone in senior management. Offered the next day

Interview Questions
    • Talk about impact Ukraine crisis has on economy
      What are options?
      Mostly fit/behavior
        Answer Question
    None

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Applied through my university job page, got an email scheduling a phone interview a couple days later. Took an online test.

First round interview was on the phone, took 20-30 minutes, basic resume stuff, no difficult questions. Enthusiasm and a little bit of homework should be enough.

Second round 'super day', arrived at the 59th st office at 8 am. Office was incredible: massive, futuristic. Particularly impressive was the 6th floor where everyone at the office starts their day - goes along with their whole 'transparency' thing, which I thought was very cool. Also tons of free snacks there. Spent the hour shadowing other analysts with two other candidates for the position, most of the people there were straight out of college, super nice and helpful. One even gave me a good interview tip ("Bloomberg helps bring transparency to the market", enthusiasm). At 9am we were brought into interview rooms.

At 9am I was interviewed by two women, one with several years experience in sales and another with more experience but her title escapes me. The one with experience seemed nice (although it was at times difficult to understand her accent), the other was incredibly rude throughout the interview (picked her nose, bit her nails, stared into space often). I maintained a positive attitude, but the interview consisted mostly of me walking them through my resume, then asking them questions. Interview lasted only 40 minutes (others lasted an hour). Did not feel as if I was given a fair shot, especially when I compared my experience to others who were asked many questions.

Finally we were given a tour through the main space. Tour guide was super friendly and gave us a mini history of Bloomberg. Apparently "Uncle Mike" is around often. We even got to see where they tape the news. Very Cool.

At roughly 11 we got dropped off in the main lobby and were told to wait for an HR person to tell us what to do next. He arrived ~20 minutes later and brought each person over individually to tell us the next step. I was told to leave, and we would be contacted soon about next steps, I didn't stay for everyone, but everyone else that got brought over was instructed the same as me. This being a Friday, I expected a follow up the next Monday or Tuesday. No luck. Emailed the HR guy I was in contact with, but got an auto response about being on vacation. After about two weeks I received an email declining the position. The wait was brutal considering how badly I wanted the position. Wish they had followed up sooner.

Senior Software Developer C++ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

I applied online, then they contacted me by mail to set-up phone interview, it took about 1 hr, the interview was with one developer, we use online coding tool where he was watching what i was writing like pair programming, he asked me to write code in C++ the task was easy but I did not perform well

Interview Questions
    • well all questions are expected, string reverse without reversing words for example " this is sentence" => "sentence is this", write c++ code to do so   View Answers (2)