Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Mar 1, 2015
2,205 Interview Reviews

3.1

Financial Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I have applied online to Bloomberg L.P. Later I got an email Scheduling my Telephonic Interview.
    Total, One Telephonic Round and after that I was called for In house interview where I attended , two in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Telephonic Round was basically regarding my college projects, I was asked implement the logic on the project.
      In house interview, First round, 1) output of a/b in string format, incase it has recursion output that part between ( ). 2) First largest and second largest number in a series.
      Second Round 1) Logic to implement the feature Frequently used websites on a browser.
      2) How to find a cycle in a linked list and why use fast pointer that goes twice as fast as the slow one and not thrice it speed or four times its speed.

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

It was an on-campus interview and it lasted about an hour. There was no behavioral questions. First, they asked about your background and then came the technical part. Two technical questions were asked. Then they would give you some time to ask questions about Bloomberg.

Interview Questions
    • Determine whether the first and the last digits of a given number are same. Like 767, 37743.
      Do a deep copy of a linked list with a random pointer, which can point to anywhere, other nodes, itself or even NULL.

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

This is probably more in general than specific to any one company, as many companies do the same exact process. They get you in a room with a white board or a pen and paper and there you go, they ask you questions. In all my years of programming, I never do this on an actual job. I write programs. It's interesting how a process can allow people that are good at memorizing to succeed, but hard core coders can fail. I know it's my own limitations, but I haven't worked anywhere yet where I haven't been one of the top programmers (usually the top), but I cannot get through these types of interviews and I've been on a few. In college I bombed tests, because my memory sucks for this stuff, but all the guys getting A's came to me for their programming help. I've written and sold more programs that anyone I know that also always holds a full time job. So I cram before these interviews, relearn all the stuff I haven't touched since college just to answer the questions. Stuff that I only learn when I have an application that needs it. I pick up and am able to apply new technology very quickly, but I also brain dump just as quickly when I haven't used it in a while. So I see guys that cannot code, but can memorize getting through this process with flying colors, and I can never get to that level, even though I know I would shine at any coding they gave me. Only once have I been on an interview where it was really geared towards who can actually code. They put all the candidates in a room, split us into teams, and gave us a project. It was actually fun, took two days, but they watched and were able to see the guys that could apply the knowledge rather than just regurgitate it. Yeah, it was in a language I had never used before, but again I pick up things quickly and haven't missed a deadline yet. Just frustration with the process.

Interview Questions
    • What's the function call and syntax to create a thread in windows api   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Got an interview through a career fair held at my college. Had the interview in school with 2 software engineers. The interview as an hour long. They asked a few fit questions, like why I was interested in Bloomberg, what I would be interested in working in, etc. for maybe 5 minutes. The rest of the time was devoted to technical questions.

I was asked the following questions:
    1) Find second largest number in array of ints
    2) Fibonacci numbers. Asked for optimization to recursive solution
    3) Find height of tree
    4) Find longest path in tree

Interview Questions
    • Find the height of a tree, and then find the longest path in a tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Met with a recruiter during career fair and submitted my resume. Got an email two weeks later to schedule an on campus interview. The interview is with two engineers, quick question about background and experience then dived right into technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to check whether an integer is a palindrome without using arrays.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone screening with a small coding problem using HackerRank. The interviewer did compile and test the code so pay attention to details! A week later on-site interview, 3 teams, first two technical, last one management. Difficult but fair, I really liked their attitude... Sr. Manager was not on site, I did not see the HR person.

Interview Questions
    • Generic questions regarding multi-threading, no C++ 11 (is not approved for use yet), design patterns etc.   View Answer

Management Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

While the recruitment team seemed organized, they really weren't. They didn't identify who I would be seeing. i didn't get cards of the people I met. And there was little follow up.

2015 Software Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

applied in the job fair and company website. Get phone interview in 2 months. The phone interview last for 45 minutes. Asked some basic C questions like explain a function prototype: int f(const char *s);. Then ask me to implement this function in C with some requirement. Get a reject 5 days later.

Interview Questions
    • f has the following contract:
      For any two strings, s1 & s2, then:
      f(s1)==f(s2) if and only if strcmp(s1,s2) == 0
      Design a function that satisfies this contract.

View Answers (4)

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I received an email from Bloomberg HR about an interview. I scheduled the interview for the next week. They gave me a coding assignment, where I had to implement a modified binary tree. The interview was very technical. First they asked me questions on the assignment, how to improve the performance. They also asked me about the O() complexities of different data structures, pointers use in C char strings, the Map data structure. The interviewer was very friendly. I was contacted shortly after the interview to let me know if I will be getting an offer.

Bloomberg Valuation Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Applied online and through campus career center. Waited for a few months until received the email saying I was selected to the first round interview. First round one the phone. They gave a link in the email to HackerBank, and said that during the interview I need to login to the website and write code on it, but during the interview it was never used. Still waiting for the second round.