Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015
2,571 Interview Reviews

3.1

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Submitted Resume. They took a while to get back to me. About 3 weeks. Had an initial phone screening interview which was basic questions and interest in Bloomberg. Went to the office for Round 2. Was interviewed by 2 individuals. They ask about your interest in Sales and Bloomberg and what the terminal, products, and competitors are. You have to show that you are interested in economics, sales, business (i.e. took courses in college, follow business news and stats). Have to be enthusiastic about Bloomberg as well. Interview was over at 12pm so i knew i didn't make the next round. Also got to briefly shadow workers. You to engage with them and seem interested.

Interview Questions

• What is the Bloomberg terminal? It's competitiors   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online. Got call from recruiting coordinator to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was completely technical.Total Time 45 mins. Just 5 mins to learn about you and to gauge your background. Then a programming question for which i had to write the code in Javascript( I chose it !) on HackerRank's code-Pair. Overall, i would say the interview was of average difficulty. I was able to solve the question( i was on right track) but due to time constraint and interview jitters just was unable to get my code to run. The interviewer was very helpful and the interview as a whole was a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you sort the list of version numbers. For eg: You are given a list A as ["1.1","1.1.5","12.0","1.23","12.3"]. Now sort this ?   4 Answers

HRIS Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applied online, got an email for a phone interview, they asked you basic questions, by Monday we scheduled a face to face interview. It was with three people, and they questioned me about my resume, describing my experience

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses? What do you know about Bloomberg? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Financial Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, get phone interview about 2 weeks later. After the phone interview, they invited me to take the on-site interview in NYC. There were 3 rounds of technical interviews on statistics, machine learning, programming, algorithms and little finance. After the on-site interview, they contacted me in one week about the offer.

Senior Applications Developer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I was briefly introduced to two interviewers. They wanted me to tell a little bit about my last job. I told them some success stories. Then they moved into asking me to code. I successfully wrote and executed the code they wanted. I have interviewed many engineers, and I did not feel the interview revealed much about me, other than that I can code. The conditions are unlike any real world situation. In the real world, one is used to the style, requirements and is warmed up. In this interview, a very uncertain situation was thrown upon me. Even if the company operates in uncertain situations, there is no way that they are as unclear as given. I got warmed up and used to thinking in this uncertain way after about 20 minutes. But, in that time, I was programming slowly. I got good at thinking the way they expected at about the time the interview was over. I do like programming under challenging conditions, so I would probably enjoy and be very good at this job, if I get the job. However, I don't see how the interviewers could discover this. Both of them had far less experience than I did. For these reasons, I gave the interview a thumb down.

Interview Questions

• Simple C++ algorithm: returning a string of a number, inserting commas into the right places.   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me. Had a phone interview set up. First phone interview went well. So, they set up another phone interview since I am not local. The position was in NY. 2nd interviewer wasn't too bad, but he really pushed me to code in Java, while I don't have that expertise over the language. I had to kind of force him to write code in c++. I guess he wasn't an expert in c++. He asked me to write thread safe singleton pattern class. I wrote one in c++ (with static Singleton object with lazy initialization). I informed him why I selected static and explained about c++11 guarantees. He then asked me why is c++11 guaranteeing that (Really? I think he probably didn't get much of c++). He asked me two questions. I cracked the first one and kind of slipped bad on 2nd one, because I couldn't recall the syntax for win32 multi-threading APIs (CreateThread, WaitforMultipleObjects, etc..). Interviewer tried to help me, but wasn't enough. In short, first interview was about c++ and algorithms. While 2nd interview was supposed to be more about Java, which is kind of weird. Also, everything in 2nd interview was about multi-threading. See in questions section for the questions asked. 2nd interview sounded like a nice guy, but I think he didn't have enough experience conducting phone interviews because 1) he wasn't open to hearing my ideas about the solution (may be because he didn't know much c++). 2) he wanted me to code in java. I switched the language on hackerrank to c++, he switched it back to java. I then switched it back to c++ and just informed him that Java won't work. lol. That's when I figured out I won't get a recommendation for on-site round. He didn't even let me ask any questions at the end, how immature. If I would have gotten a call further, I would probably have passed the opportunity, because after a few years of experience, one thing I have realized is that business is just people. If you can't work with them or if it is hard to work with them, you probably don't want to do business with them. Its that simple. Good luck Bloomberg!

Interview Questions

• Interview 1: 1. virtual functions, inheritance, etc..easy to answer c++ questions. Conversation was for about 20-25 minutes 2. Can't exactly recall, but it was about Binary Search Tree, pretty easy to find on the web. I think it was to do with levels in BST, I used recursion in the solution. Interviewer was happy with the solution. Overall call lasted for about 1 hour and 5 minutes including some questions I asked him. Interview 2: 1. What is mutex, semaphore? 2. What is a singleton pattern and can you write one that is thread-safe 3. Write a consumer producer problem. Producer produces 1000 objects and there are five consumers that consume 10 objects at a time in round robin fashion until all of them are consumed. This means that if consumer 1 consumes 10 objects, it has to wait for consumer 2, 3, 4, 5 to consume 10 objects each before it can consume other 10.   2 Answers

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

1 phone screen and onsite 2 weeks later. 3 rounds tech interviews+manager. The interviewers were quite nice. The group really needed people to contribute right away. Each round are too people. Normally one group leader and one senior developer. I was well-prepared and did a good job in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Bloomberg is C++ heavy. Prepare well for data structure and C++. All the questions are about these. You don't need to have a perfect solution for their question. The key is to think it out loud and show your analytical skill.   Answer Question

OTC Derivative Quant Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Applying online, two telephone interviews by group members, all technical. Onsite interview 2 weeks later, meeting with 4 group members, then the group leader. Was informed by hr two weeks after onsite that no offer.

Interview Questions

• Prepare for stochastic calculus, c++, and Monte Carlo questions. If you are physicists, prepare for complex integrals   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

• Researched unmanned plane, online education platform and casting companies and their related industries by analyzing the financial statements, future trends, market size and government policy to support making investment decisions. • Successfully built DCF valuation model and completed analysis reports based on their profit model, financial statements and interviewing the management team and specialists. • Trained, led and directed by the investment director and general manager.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The whole process was fast. My recruiter contacted me to get me a phone interview one week after I applied on their website. My phone interview was on Friday, and the next Monday I got an invitation for an onsite interview in New York. Onsite interview was two-round technical. If you do well in them, you'll get two more. Overall, I had a good experience with Bloomberg, my interviewers were friendly, the hotel they booked for me was nice, and they gave me enough money to take care of the transportation.

Interview Questions

• Reverse words in a sentence (a char[]) without using additional space. eg. "Hello there children" -> "children there Hello"   3 Answers