Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015
2,471 Interview Reviews

3.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The first round is a phone interview. After that, I was invited to an on-site. I didn't perform well on the first round, so I only have two rounds. In the first round, I was asking about some basic questions about C++ concepts, memory management. In the on-site question, one question is a math question about cutting pizzas, and the second one is about building a tree from a string

Interview Questions

• Some basic questions about data structures, some mathematics   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2015.

Interview

This was a phone screen. The technical phone screen was done through HackerRank. They paste in code and then you have to complete a function or debug. It's basic data structures and algorithms stuff, but the interviewer was rude and laughed at me. It was bizarre.

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on the Bloomberg website and it took a couple of weeks to hear back from them. Once I did hear back from them, I received an e-mail asking to schedule a phone interview. After that, I received the phone call from New York at the scheduled time. It was all straight forward, but I did not hear back for another two weeks after the initial phone interview. The process was very slow.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions mostly related to job and its functions: What you knew about it? Potential scenarios in sales and how you would address it. Also questioned on current market events and what stories you are following.   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

First round: phone screen with basic resume stuff
    Second round: in person. Gave a very basic written test and spent the rest of the time explaining my work experience and my thoughts on the industry. Seemed easy enough, they even told me that they would like me to meet more people the week after.

And then, RADIO SILENCE. No rejection emails, no response to followups. Hate this new trend of not letting candidates who interview know where they stand.

Interview Questions

• What according to you are the latest trends in your sector, where do you see the industry going?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Phone interview,take about 50 mins, briefly go through my background (research, experience and skills) then two technical questions as stated below. first question took about 25 mins to answer and improve, and the second took 10 mins

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

1 phone round - 1hour, asked me to code in HackerRank.
    Onsite 4 rounds - 2 technical followed by one with a manager and one with a hr. If you perform well in first 2 rounds,you go to further rounds.Else,you're out.
    Overall they look for smart candidates with not so much focus on perfect coding skills,which is good I guess.

Interview Questions

• Web browser history implementation without duplicates,a couple of c++ questions and some standard algorithm and data structure questions.   1 Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

First there was a phone screening from HR where I was asked about my interest in the position, Bloomberg, and behavioral type questions about my past experiences. Later that week I got an email asking that I come into their office for a first round in-house interview (aka their Super Day). The super day was intense - there were about 25 of us. They set us up in a large conference room with speed dating type tables. I interviewed with a person from Sales and another from Analytics (each was a half hour long). They asked behavioral questions and some finance questions. Generally they want to get a feel for why you choose Bloomberg. The same day they took us on a tour of the building and showed a brief overview of "the Bloomberg."
    I was asked back for a second in-house interview where I met with a senior sales manager and a senior executive. This final round was much more difficult. They really tested my knowledge of sales and finance.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between sell side and buy side?
      What are the current stories you're following in the market?
      Have you used the terminal before?
      Sell me you favorite app.
      Why are you interested in sales?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

1) Received an invite to interview the day after I applied. This was a standard 45 minute behavioral interview, with a walk through of my resume. No technical questions. Invited to a video conference interview on the spot (video conference because I am not based in Princeton, NJ).

2) The video conference interview was with two team leads and a business line head. The questions asked were poorly reflective of the job description posted on Bloomberg's website. It seems that this role is still being defined by Bloomberg, and perhaps there is no serious intent to hire until they talk to enough people to see if they can shape the role. The interview made it seemed that this is more of a data wrangling role (which is more akin to their Global Data Analyst roles), rather than performing much economic research or analysis to support the terminal product as the description suggests. There were no technical questions, but rather "walk-through" questions about some of my projects that I had done at my previous employers.

Other notes:

The video quality was very choppy and the audio quality was poor. If you can do an interview in person, insist on it if you can. The assistant who set up the video conference room disappeared immediately after the beginning of the interview and was difficult to find when the technology failed.

After several follow ups with the interviewers, recruiters, and HR coordinators, I have not received a a single response (or rejection) after more than two months since the process began. My application still sits in the system as "submitted" instead of "no longer being considered."

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Meet then in career fair, had a data structure question asked about trees. Find LCA of BST. Called for an on campus interview next day.Had 3 more rounds of interview the day after. The came back with a offer week later.

Interview Questions

• Merge point of linked list.
      Convert decimal to binary in O(1).
      Design LRU cache.
      Paint a chess board.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview

Two rounds, each with two people. 1st was about data structures and algorithms, 2nd was also focusing on the same thing with a design orientation. Interviewers were quite friendly, they gave some hints from time to time.

Interview Questions

• 1) Find the point of intersection of two linked lists 2)How would you design a text editor 3) Create a balanced binary search tree from a sorted array of integers   1 Answer