Bloomberg L.P.

1,785 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on line and was contacted very soon by email. Then I was set up a phone screen interview. They waited for me about a month, which was so nice. Then during the phone interview, the people I was talking to was so nice, he guided me through to solve the coding problem step by step. I really appreciate this opportunity, because it helped me a lot for my future interviews.

Interview Question – Not really, just Tree and LinkedList   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, via their website. I had applied to jobs with them before, but this was the first time I had gotten a response. I emailed to set up a phone interview. I missed the initial call from the interviewer and left a message. Did not hear back from him until two days later. We set up a time to talk on the following Monday. He was 10 minutes later. Had the phone screening interview, during which the interviewer said I had applied twice (not sure if it had been a software error on my end or if I had applied at separate times). He gave a great description of the position (much more in depth than the job posting) and we talked about what the job entailed, what were my qualifications and why did I feel I fit, etc.

I didn't think it had gone well and did not have contact information for the interviewer. But I was contacted to come in for an in-person interview and off I went. The DC office is nice--they have all sorts of snacks, tea, coffee, water, fruit, soy/almond milk available to eat (their kitchen area is right by the entrance).

The in-person interview was fairly boring. Much of it was cookie cutter questions, such as describe a time when you had a conflict that prevented you from proceeding with your work, how did I feel about long hours/working in an open office (it appears the staff all work in rows of desks. There is no privacy), what drew me to the position, did I have experiences in X, etc. I honestly felt that they were politely interviewing me, but there was not a strong interest in me as a candidate.

It was a nice visit but I suspected I would not get the job. They let me know that there would be one more round of interviews with their boss if I would be selected to advance. Neither interviewer had cards for me, so I had no way of thanking them (I actually forgot their names as soon as I walked out the door).

About a week later, I received a rejection email. I couldn't say I was surprised but I am actually relieved. Although I have worked in the open office plan before, their layout honestly seemed very cramped. And as the job requires long hours, I'm not sure I'd want to be in such a tight space surrounded by people working well beyond the end of the work day.

Interview Question – At the very end they asked me about gaps in my work history. I wonder if the placement of the question was meant to throw me off. I've gotten this question before elsewhere, so it wasn't totally shocking.   Answer Question

Financial Software Developer Interview

Financial Software Developer

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – Had two round interview... first round was very straightforward, asked typical data structure, graph search, and object oriented questions (linked lists, depth first search, memoization, classes). Second round was much harder, with algorithmically complicated coding problems (the naive solution was usually easy, but the interviewer would then press on for a much more difficult solution)

Interview Question – Counting the number of anagrams of one string in another string   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Entry-Level Market Data Research & Analysis Interview

Entry-Level Market Data Research & Analysis

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – Submit the application through school online career service, received an email from Bloomberg to schedule a 30-mintue phone interview. Interview questions include: What's Bloomberg, what's our products and services, what's our main competitors and behavior questions such as tell me one time that you show your leadership skills

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult as long as you prepared and get to know What does Bloomberg do, what are the products/services and its competitors.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – had a phone interview, and after 2 weeks was contacted for super day. the phone interview was really short and the interviewer talked most of the time so I wasn't sure

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Bloomberg instead of go into Banking?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Developer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online. One phone screen, then 3 interviews. The first two with two interviews and the last with the manager. I was asked a bunch of questions in the last interview that had nothing to do with the job description, which was as a Wordpress Developer. I wouldn't have applied for the job if I had known that there were requirements that I did not meet. When I asked him what he was looking for for the position, he told me "Software Engineer". This is not the job that I applied for and I would not have applied for it. It became very clear that we were wasting our time and I told the interviewer so.

I was a little annoyed at the end, but everyone was very nice. The interview process was pretty good and it seems like it would be a nice place to work.

Interview Question – Questions completely unrelated to the position of Wordpress developer.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – Pleasant, easy, and streamlined process. Applied online through my university's online job portal, got an email to schedule a phone interview within a week. A few days after the phone interview, I got an email to schedule an on-site interview in NYC. Company paid to for flights to/from NYC, hotel reservations, and car service from airport to hotel. Arrived at Bloomberg at 8:30 the day of my interview. After serving us breakfast and giving a tour of the building, interviews started. 2 hour-long technical interviews with 2 interviewers each, mostly focused on choosing and combining correct algorithms and data structures to solve problems. Third interview was with a manager in R&D, also technical but more focused on problem-solving thought process (also may be somewhat focused on personality). Last interviewer was from HR, about 15 minutes long and purely informational.

Interview Question – Given a large collection of characters and a dictionary, find an efficient algorithm to return the 10 longest words you can form using the characters in the collection.   View Answer

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – Apply by the website.
Was contacted by email for a first interview by phone with one person of the team. Questions about Bloomberg. Work situations ...
2nd interview with 2 managers for 1 hour. Same question that everybody (technical and sales, why bloomberg, play role ...).
Short process but don't really understood what they really wanted.

Interview Question – Questions about financial instruments and how they works. Position of Bloomberg on the market.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
New York, NY

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – Snacks, tour, breakfast and then 2 rounds of technical interviews
Each round interviewed by 2 people , after the second round I was expecting the third round to come up but was asked to leave.

Interview Questions

• Make a product array , such that each index has product of all the elements in the array except itself   View Answer
  • Design to display latest socks. Top 10 ticker   View Answer
  • Given a pool of strings, any two of them can be joined if last char of first string and first char of second are equal, that joined string will inturn be added to the pool again
    Eg: abc and cba gives abcba, the common character will be taken once and that applies for for the last and first principle. Multiple characters can occur in the same string.
      Answer Question
  • Find the Cycle in the graph
    Difference between tree and graph
      Answer Question

Global Data Interview

Global Data
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process took 1 week. Apply online, got a phone interview two days later. I was expecting a lot more data analysis questions, but the interviewer did not ask any. No tough questions. Basically all behavioral questions. Also, you will be expected to answer if you have read any econ or finance related magazines such as the economist or wsj.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you have to deal with conflicts.   Answer Question