Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions in London, UK

Updated Jun 26, 2015

3.1

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Online app - phone interview (analytics team leader) - 1st In house (sales manager? + analytics team leader) - 2nd in house (uk sales manager + analytics specialist) - final round (european head of analytics)

Telephone interview was really really easy. About 10 min and it was basically the team leader telling me about the firm and introducing herself. 2 hours later I got an email saying I passed, arranged in work shadowing and house interview in a week.

I did not feel that good about my 1st in house interview, but I got really good feedback after that, and I heard back in 2,3 days with an email saying I got invited for another round of interview.

I definitely felt it went BAD for my 2nd house interview but I passed again - sometimes they just grill you a little to see how you react i guess. Got a phone call 2 days after confirming date for final round.

My final round with head of analytics was amazing, she was such an inspiring person and it felt like chatting instead of having an interview. In the end she asked me if I had any questions and my final question was when should I expect to hear back from them and she said Now, YOU GOT THE JOB.

Every single round focused on Why Bloomberg and Why Sales. Need to come across as really passionate about working with people, client management/client service, etc. and that you care about the firm and really passionate about the firm. Prepare these two questions and you got 50% of the interviews.

Other stuff:
    - your experiences/ CV run down: this depends on your experience, they just wanna see what you have done that's going you help you contribute to the firm, what skills you developed - the normal stuff.

- Bloomberg products: I got asked in both in-house interviews how would Bloomberg help an industrial firm. Focus your answer on investor relations, as in, every public firm needs to publish their annual reports through somewhere for investors to see, AND every firm needs to keep track of how their competitors are performing, and Bloomberg provides that. Other than that, talk about risk control and cash management.

- current financial affair: very minimal, occasionally slip in one,two sentences in your answers and they won't ask more. For example, when I was talking about industrial firms can use Bloomberg to reduce foreign exchange risk, I mentioned that the Krona appreciate (that same week )a great deal so a european firm with debt in Krona just lost some money there.

- financial concept: I rated my finance knowledge 5 out of 10, so they asked me to differentiate bond and stock, which was a really easy one. Just be honest, if you don't know it's totally fine.

Interview Questions

• What makes you excited to sell Bloomberg? (I said I never thought about that, she did NOT like that...)
      You know sometimes you don't use FCF for DCF, what *do* you use then? (I said I don't know. He goes, fine.)

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

My interview started with a phone call from one of the team leaders. The call lasted for about 20-30 mins. I was asked general questions about my previous work experience and normal questions about my motivation to apply for this job.

Passing that, I was invited for a 2nd interview but this time via Skype. I was again interviewed by another team leader but this time the questions were more related to customer service and my own experience about dealing with customers. I was asked to give examples of previous situations I had on dealing with different customers. Examples of difficult customers situations, how I've handled, and I was also asked to give an example on what was the most imaginative and proactive way I've resolved a customer's issue.

I then received an invitation to attend to a meeting at their offices in London. They've arranged and paid for my flights, including one night staying in a hotel not far from the office. The interview was very nice and basically consisted on them talking about the company, company's culture and all the aspects related to the job position. We then did couple of group exercises together with the other candidates and afterwards, he had a guided tour of the all building. The last part of the interview was having individual one to one interviews with 2 of the customer support team leaders. Again, similar questions as before, work experience, why Bloomberg and what were my motivations for applying for this role. They also asked what were my goals for the next 3 or 5 years.

I just received an invitation for the last interview back at the London office and this time, it seems that we'll have a simulation test. They will book me again my flights and let's see what happens. I am very excited as my 1st experience when visited Bloomberg's office in Finsbury square, it was mind blowing. So far, nothing bad what so ever about the all interviews process...fingers crossed now!

Interview Questions

• Why Bloomberg?
      Why are you applying for this role?
      What was the most creative way you resolved a customer's issue?
      Where do you see yourself within the next 3 to 5 years?

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

After submitting my applications, I had an invitation for phone screen interview with one of the software engineer in Bloomberg. The phone interview was not too hard. They asked a lot of c++ basic, such as what are the difference between array and pointer, stack and heap in memory, and static variable. For the coding part, I was asked to implement a function to get the Fibonacci sequence. After the phone screen interview, they invited me to the face-to-face interview. The questions was not too hard. Some basic c++ stuffs and algorithm. However, I did not perform well when I had the face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions

• what are the difference between array and pointer, stack and heap in memory, and static variable. implement a function to get the Fibonacci sequence   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

the process began with a simple phone call and then once i passed that stage i was asked to come in for an interview which was conducted by head of department. I was asked about work history education and my skill sets a few questions on equity markets and options which the interviewer called in a colleague who knew about the subject as it was not his area of expertise.

Global Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Intense but friendly - first round was on the phone, was quite simple just asked about who the competitors are and about myself and what the business does. Second round was a group day with interview, group tasks like presentations and role plays. Final round interview was 2 on 1.

Interview Questions

• Very standard questions - they were looking for positive people   Answer Question

Global Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Online application (with a few questions like why Bloomberg, why role, what current news are you interested the most in)
    Telephone interview (approx. 30 minutes)
    Face to face interview at Bloomberg headquarter with two recruiters

Telephone interview.
    Was clearly structured and conducted by HR, so it seemed she followed a set of questions, which is good and organised.
    Questions she asked included:
    Why Bloomberg?
    Why role?
    What do you know about the role?
    Where Bloomberg gets its data from?
    What do you know about Bloomberg?
    Main products?
    What is the difference between good customer service and excellent one?
    How do you measure your own success/performance?
    A time you worked in a team
    Challenges you faced in a team
    A time when you improved a process
    Any questions.

She was not friendly or anything, just acted like a robot with no emotions or personal approach. It was not enjoyable.

Face to face
    That was even worse that the first one. There is no formal structure they follow, except standard questions they ask like why Bloomberg and why role.
    What asset you would like to specialise, I said FX so they went:
    okay, imagine you work for FX, so what would you do as an analyst and where would you get the data from?
    They really pushed on the technicality of the data processing, like what exactly you do.
    Then the interview essentially expends on what you say. They pick up on every word you say and ask further questions. So make sure you can explain everything you say. Even simple thing like I worked on a presentation at uni on a dolphins or something... then they could ask okay so what did you talk in your presentation about.
    A few competency questions like teamwork, challenges in a team, something outside of CV.
    Situational, like imagine you have an angry customer on the phone, manager told you to do a presentation and pissed off and you also made mistake in their holly grail terminal. How would you approach this? Just basically don’t forget their holly grail office layout where they sit next to each other and so collaboration is important (looks far from the truth when you actually see their office...)
    Where do you see yourself in a few years
    Then you can ask any questions.
    Overall, they were not friendly at all, they 'lectured' me on answers which did not satisfy them, saying something like you forgot this... look at our office, how do we sit? next to each other? i was like mate no need to lecture okay.
    I think it was unprofessional and people assumed too much power for just being team leaders.
    I felt like I was being interviewed for an investment bank rather than a help desk role and putting data into the system.
    I was highly disappointed the company and overall recruitment process.
    Even simple communications through email with recruiters was bad.

Global Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)).

Interview

3 rounds for the internship: telephone, two individual interviews with two employees. Standard interview questions: motivation, CV, knowledge about Bloomberg, overall economics and etc. Very efficient procedure, friendly staff and appealing work environment. A pleasant experience overall.

Quant Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Firstly, I was interviewed by HR. Then, I was interviewed with two people in their London office: a senior quant and a director. I was asked to simply introduce my research work. Then, we went to the technical questions. The whole interview took about 1 hour. Most of the questions are programming questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked several questions about coin tossing and some questions of programming (c++ related questions)   Answer Question

Financial Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

4 rounds. Expect about a week between each round. After 1 phone interview (HR) and 2 Skype interviews, was invited for an 2:1 in-office interview at London office. More interested in VBA and Excel skills. Very conversational. Was given an office tour after the final round, which I took to be a good sign. Received a call with the offer the following morning.

Interview Questions

• What are some array sorting methods you've used in VBA?
      What is the most optimal way to transpose arrays onto a worksheet?
      What is the default variable type of an undeclared variable in VBA?
      When would you use credit spreads?
      What option pricing methods do you know? What are their inputs?
      What is a swap? A bond? Duration?
      Are you familiar with volatile functions?
      Have you used VLOOKUP? INDEX? What is the difference between the two?

Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process began with a telephone interview followed by three in-house interviews. The telephone interview is quite relaxed, with basic questions regarding Bloomberg products and a recent finance news story. The first in-house interview is testing quite general skills and knowledge of Bloomberg markets and products. The second interview is more direct and hard-hitting in terms of specific questions on financial concepts and financial history. Third interview is a friendly talk with a senior executive. Each interview focuses on three core issues: why finance, why BBG and why sales?

Interview Questions

• In-house interview 1:
      Tell us about an enterprise product you have read about.
      Tell us about a recent financial news story you found interesting.
      Why would a company like IKEA use the BBG Terminal?
      I was given four different scenarios where clients had issues with the terminal and was asked to rank them in order of urgency.
      What do you think keeps Michael Bloomberg up at night?
      Why finance?
      Why Bloomberg?
      What makes a good salesperson?
      What makes a good service person?
      CV rundown - what would you say are your main strengths?

Overall, the interview was very friendly and tested your social skills as well as knowledge about BBG products and markets.

In-house interview 2:
      Why do countries peg their currency?
      What are the reasons for Denmark's currency peg? What are the reasons for Switzerland's currency peg?
      Why did Switzerland peg their currency against the Euro instead of any other currency?
      What events led to the surge in Swedish interest rate in 1992? Why did that affect the interest rate specifically?
      How do you price a currency future using expected negative interest rate in one of the countries?
      What four instruments do central banks have to control the currency fluctuation?
      Tell us about a macroeconomic trend you have identified.
      What risks is a company like IKEA exposed to?
      Tell us about a successful sale you made - what was the value for the customer and what was the value for your company?
      It has been said that humility is the most valuable trait for a person working in sales - tell us about a time you were humble in sales.

The interview was focusing on financial concepts and products. No questions really concerning Bloomberg's products or their business specifically. A few questions regarding sales experience. Often very specific questions and follow-up questions to justify answer.