Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Sent application at the beginning of december, recieved invitation for phone interview about one month later.
    Phone interview was quite normal, mostly motivational, background and roleplay questions:
    Why financial products and sales? Why not banking? Why exactly this role? Who are bloomberg's competitors? What's the difference between Bloomberg Tradebook and Terminal? What's Bloomberg Vault? What's Bloomberg Government? How many companies are tracked by Bloomberg Terminal (24.000)? Then followed some questiones about me and my studies (i study finance). What's the most common way companies raise capitals? What's the QE? How would you hedge from risks in finance? Than situational kind of questions: How would you sell Coca Cola the terminal? Why would it use a Terminal? Imagine i am JPMorgan and i wanna decrease the number of terminals because Eikon is cheaper, how would you convince me to not do it? Imagine i am an angry customer calling you because I can't find UBS ticker, but you don't have info about me. How would you act?

After two days I received a mail stating I would have been invited to the in-house interview. IMPORTANT: in case you receive this mail, don't feel like you have the job. Almost everybody passes the phone interview. So, it's not indicative whether you nailed it or not.

In house interview: First. arrive on time.. Second, try to get to know people when you get in, but don't stay too far away from where they ask you to wait your interviewers. Be kind, friendly, self confident, and act like a normal person. In the beginning i had to shadow an employee in the analytics office. This people is quite funny and they take it so easy when working. They receive "tickets" (the chat questions from terminal users) and answer right on time. Very nice job by the way. The employee was actually glad to see how many things i knew of the terminal even thought i never used one. Then it came the moment. The interviewers (managers for analytics and sales teams) took me to a room for a 2:1 interview. They started asking: Introduce yourself in one minute; tell me 5 skills you think you built from your past experience; Try to sell me the product you sold in your previous job (yes, it's a call simulation); Imagine i'm a millionaire and i want to use Eikon cause it costs less. Sell me the terminal (other situational question. Remember to leverage on the price-quality standard, but sell your bullets slowly and at the right moment); Who mainly uses the Terminal and why? (than, interview turned from my own language to english) What problems do you think Bloomberg is facing at the moment? (IM messaging replications, Federated chat, Data governance, catch-up from other companies, do your own intelligent search); Why exactly Bloomberg? Why not Banking? What do you think about the actual financial market situation? Where would you invest now? What's the difference between Options and Futures? What is the current American economic situation? What would you look at if you'd invest in bonds? (did not really get what he ment for "look at" because i summed up all Bonds decision theory but he didn't seem convinced...however, might have been my fault). Then the interview got easier, talking about other products of Bloomberg and nothing more. I also asked a few questions at the end. However, I was kinda sure I made it. I was self confident, did a very good research, roleplayed a lot and felt so prepared about anything. Everything worked fine for me. Until the day after, when I received a mail stating "you're no long being considered". Ok. Got it. I did some self-questioning about what possibly went wrong, and here i come to the end of this good (yes, it was positive after all) experience with a few tricks: Don't smile too much. Listen to yourself. Listen to them. Come straight to the point. Be self confident but not too much. Don't bombard them with info you think might be a good mark for you, because they're gonna go deeper (and remember we have limited info about it). Be the best, and remember that you have to sell yourself as a good investment for them. Don't ask about possibility for entering other roles (yes, it might be possible, but i asked if Sales is the only possibility after analytics, and it was the footstep to my doom).

Finally. Don't act too friendly. Be yourself. Or, well, not too much yourself, but the "you" that you think Bloomberg wants. Good luck everybody. I'll try again in July (let 6 months pass, otherwise they won't consider your cv) ;)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Phone interview then face to face. Positive experience and team was really kind and helpful. The interviewer was really pleasant, friendly and knew her stuff. When she realised I had misunderstood a question she rephrased it and let me re-answer which was helpful. They said the turnaround would be 1-2 days and got back to me within 4 hours to let me know I'd passed.

Interview Questions
    • Company info, motivational, wider market/finance knowledge.   Answer Question

Software Development Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Firstly, there was a phone interview; this consisted of simple questions about computer science; so knowledge about data structures, the difference between the heap and the stack, a little OS knowledge, followed by a short language specific test over HackerRank - I was asked to reverse a string in place, and then implement a basic insertion sort for an array of chars.

Later that day I was informed that I was successful in the phone interview and I was invited to a face-to-face interview at their offices in London. That interview consisted of 3 sections, the first was a 2:1 interview, where I was asked C++ syntax specific questions, for instance given a short section of code I was asked the types of certain variables and the resulting types of certain operations on them. I also had to write a program to calculate the lowest common multiple of a multiset of integers, finding the maximum height of a non-self balancing binary tree and I was asked about the complexity of my algorithms.

The next section was a 1:1 interview with a senior developer, this was a more theoretical test, with more focus on higher-level ideas such as which data structures would be applicable to certain types of problems, rather than worrying about the lower-level syntactic implementation. I was asked to design an algorithm to process financial data and return the highest movers of the day.

The final section was a HR-based section, where I was shown the Bloomberg Terminal and its basic functionality, followed by being shown around the offices and introduced to people; everyone was friendly and willing to give information about the jobs available.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First apply online, then telephone interview, then a face to face in the regional office and final round interview in the location to where you apply to. People in Bloomberg are very nice generally, loved offices both in London and Moscow. They've got a cool ID system - they take a picture of you at the reception when you arrive and then the picture follows you across their offices.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about the role, what is your motivation, what is your relevant experience, why this company, what are the company's products, current affairs, who would you contact to make a sale in a non-financial firm, how would you prioritise various people when they make inquiries at the same time.   Answer Question

2015 Financial Product Sales and Analytics - Spanish Speaker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

I've only gone through the phone interview for now. It was about 30 minutes long. Very basic questions about Bloomberg, products and services that they offer, where I heard about Bloomberg and the job offer, my current role, any current events I'm keeping up with.

Interview Questions
    • As you studied International Business and not Finance, what would you say your level of finance knowledge is from a 1-10 scale? What's a time where you had to be a leader? What can you bring to Bloomberg?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Sent an application at the beginning of december, received an invitation for a phone interview scheduled for mid-January.
    The phone interview was quite easy, most of the questions were related to your motivations to apply to Bloomberg, plus a lot of general questions on my background:
    - why financial product and sales? who are bloomberg competitors? why are you applying to bloomberg...

One day later I received an invitation for an in-house interview.

In-house interview: my interview was scheduled for 8.30 a.m. Be there on time, at first I was invited to make my way upstairs where I would have met an employee. I was shadowing an employee in the analytics department, she was very kind and showed me how the tickets worked and the way the reply to it. From my understanding the analytics job is not any more than any helpdesk, she received some queries from clients going from "could you please check that the data in the terminal are correct" to "where can I find data on XYZ stock". Overall, she told me that in an average day, they would receive approximately 20-25 queries. Then, the moment of the interview came. The interviewers were managers of analytics and sales, they took me to a quite room for a 2:1 interview. The manager from the analytics department started asking me some general questions, unfortunately I mentioned that I would rather work in financial services than in investment banking. From that moment, my interview went wrong. The interview from the analytics department bombarded me with questions on investment banking. Needless to say, I wasn't prepared to answer such questions and I provided weak answers to that. Questions went from: how many terminals are there in your country? to what are the main areas of operations of an investment bank? what are an investment bank main operations? After my bad performance on investment banks I knew that I would have not been offered a job, anyway I tried to do my best to finish the interview in a good way. The analytics manager asked me other questions of how I would convince a SME to buy the terminal. After this part , I was interviewed by the second manager, who asked me more about the current developments in global affairs. Then, a couple of questions on financial calculus, such as what would happen to the current price of a bond if the interest rate went down.
    Couple of advices for people being interviewed: know intimately why you would want to work for bloomberg and not for an investment bank. Know bloomberg. And last, but not least, be prepared to be questioned in any case. The interviewers will never be satisfied with your answers. However, try to be confident enough to motivate your choices, there is no wrong answer, it depends on the motivation you give.

Bloomberg Intelligence- Research Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

I applied online, and one month after, the HR email me to schedule a phone interview date with the interviewer. the phone call came as expected. It was competency-based and took 20 mins.

Financial Products Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

1st stage of the process was through Online - relatively easy, answered additional questions and 4 days later got an e-mail from HR asking for my availability to conduct a Telephone.

It was longer than accepted before going through the telephone interview, I gave a fast response to the HR regarding my availability - no response - I let it wash through me and carried on with my research within the company.

On the day of when I was supposed to have an interview - I was slightly whether they had forgotten so I called the HR up and it turns out - no telephone interview is booked.

A bit later I got an email from HR asking for my availability- responded them and received a confirmation of the interview.

On the day of the interview there was no call and got an email from the HR again whether I am available for the next day slot then I got back with a YES response.

On the day of the telephone interview I got a call from the leader of the analytics and introduced herself and contacted a Biographical, Competency and Situational Questions.

Walk me through your CV, who is our competitors? What makes Bloomberg different to its competitors? what research have you done to our company? What is Bloomberg Government? Talk to me about the terminals? ( and i started talking through about the benefits of using a terminal to non financial companies ) How would Coca Cola benefit when using this terminal? Make sure to have a clear understanding what you are talking about. And Why Sales? And she proceeded to A Situational Question which I left me blank for a second.

Then she asked if I have any questions about the company. The interview lasted for 20 mins and she said she will discuss this to the management and she will get back within 1-2 days for the outcome of the interview.

Still in the process and the interview was yesterday. I just hope they will invite for the in house interview!

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a client when they suddenly decided that they wanted to shut down 30 terminals since their department? How would you convince them not to shut down this terminals?   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2015.

Fairly straight forward. The motivation for the job and the company are most important. They try to make you go beyond the standard stuff such as “I like the offices and free food; the flat hierarchy is great”. They were really stressing on the motivational part. They did not bother on any standard stuff like going through your CV. They asked about the different products Bloomberg sells.

Market Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2015.

Start off by sending the application online. You dont need to write an extensive cover letter, but it is advisable to include it amogst the uploaded documents. If you pass the first screening they will invite you to a phone interview. The phone interview consists mostly of general questions like why you want to work there, former experiences and their relevance, and a few general questions abou their company and business model to ensure you understand how they make their money.