Bloomberg L.P. Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Financial Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY).

Interview

1 phone round - 1hour, asked me to code in HackerRank.
    Onsite 4 rounds - 2 technical followed by one with a manager and one with a hr. If you perform well in first 2 rounds,you go to further rounds.Else,you're out.
    Overall they look for smart candidates with not so much focus on perfect coding skills,which is good I guess.

Interview Questions

• Web browser history implementation without duplicates,a couple of c++ questions and some standard algorithm and data structure questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview and 1 in-house interview.
    Every one is very nice during the process of interviews. And HR always gave you feedback quickly.
    In house interview should be 4 rounds if you are qualified. Most unqualified candidates only take 2 rounds.
    I only took 2 rounds.
    The only thing made me unhappy was that I didn't get my lunchbox even after several requests.

Interview Questions

• 1. In a big file of two very very long strings, delete the characters which they both have.
      2. disjoint set questions

SAP ABAP Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

An agent forwarded my resume and set up an interview date. There was about a 2 week wait for the interview which was telephonic.
    2 interviewers in a conference call, grilled theoretical ABAP questions. If your underlying theory is good, you can get through. But that means you have to brush up all the basics. Not much emphasis on practical knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Explain one highlight of your ABAP career - any project/development you want to talk about.
      What will you take into consideration before creating custom database tables?
      why use header and item table, why not one table?
      what is normalization?
      what are the different types of lock objects? why we need sap locks? what happens when another program tries to update while there is a sap lock?
      types of database tables? what is the use of cluster and pool tables?
      types of internal tables? hashed table what is it?
      scenario where a table is read using one field as key and the same table is read using another field as key - what is the best approach performance wise?
      buffering - types of buffers - where does buffer sit?
      implicit commit - where they happen?
      what is call by value, call be reference methods?
      what are the different types of function modules?
      rfc function module - how is it called?
      rfc uses call by value or reference?
      what are update function modules and its use? what is v1, v2, v3 update?
      what is LUW? how to ensure you are on same luw?
      in a userexit - you have update statement - when will database get updated?
      select single vs up to 1 rows - which will you use in what scenario?
      what is binary search? if there is no middle value found, which section will it search?
      code review - what are the things you look for during a code review?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got a phone interview screening set up after a month, but the interviewer was unable to make it at that day. I wasn't informed of this until after the time of interview, and asking the HR person. The process was a bit disorganized. After a few weeks, I was contacted by another HR recruit and we scheduled another phone interview. This time it went through. During the interview, we discussed a little about the resume, then went onto an online coding platform, and did some coding work. I was required to write the code and then describe my code to the interviewer, including what will happen on the edge cases. Coding is more to get to see if you know the language (C/C++) well, rather than some tricky algorithm questions. (focused on pointer / reference / type conversion)

A week later, I got scheduled to their headquarter in NYC for onsite. Four rounds of interview in total (45mins - 1hour each), starting from 11:15 and ended early in the afternoon. Two technical rounds, two engineers asked some coding questions. You are supposed to write on a small writing pad. The questions are more focused on data structure. The interviewers will start the question easy, but then add restrictions to make it more difficult, to see your knowledge base. Then it's the meeting with the manager, who was very nice. He asked a few behavior questions, but his intention was more to introduce the company culture and management to you, and see if you fit to each other. Final round was with an HR lady, asking about why you want to work for Bloomberg and your course work, your schedule and availability, your other offers, etc.

Overall, the scheduling of interview is long and drawn out. The response from HR sometimes gets delayed. The interviews themselves are smooth and quite enjoyable.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

applied online, phone interview was a week later, used HackerRank, one question, i coded and then he escalated the problem, didnt do well as i was so nervous, interviewer didnt care about my experience or anything, just went strait to coding test which doesnt make sense for a Senior Software Engineer position where it counts more on experience based on the job description

Interview Questions

• was asked to write code in any language to go through array and find duplicate integers.   Answer Question

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email saying they want a phone interview. Basic questions was asked: told me to go through my resume and explain some key points and what questions I had for the company. Phone interview was pretty standard. Received an email 2 days later asking me for availability for 2nd round interview. Hopefully everything goes well

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied Online.
    First round was telephonic interview. Basic data structures were asked. Difference in java, c n c++ were asked as i had mentioned about three languages on my resume. The interviewer was very supportive.

Next rounds were onsite.
    First, they will show you the company completely. Next, a couple of junior engineers will conduct first round. It was easy. They asked some basics again.
    Next round, a couple of senior engineers conducted the interview. They were bit arrogant. They confused me with small deletion of node in a linked list. you have to think loud!!!!!
    Next was a manager round. It was cooool..

Interview Questions

• data structure to implement phone directory.
      implement magic number game
      all other glass door ques
      be strong in data structures

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The role was initially described as C# / WPF, and F# expert - I did not claim to be expert in any of these - for a trading solution connectivity and integration software platform. The interview was via HackerRank, with the primary interview held over phone, while the interviewer could share coding with me via HackerRank.

Initially for one hour, asked to solve code solutions for questions in C#

Interview Questions

• Given a array of a series of characters (char array from string) reduce multiple spaces to a single space, while preserving the other characters. The swapping needs to take place within the initial array.   2 Answers
    • Give a function, F1(), that returns either 1 or 0 randomly, write a function, F29() or F31(), that returns an event distribution of numbers from 0 to 32.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through a head hunter. Phone interview scheduled in 5days. Two people interviewed me over the phone- 2:1 interview style over hacker rank. They were patient but I couldn't understand one of the interviewers accent( this was what ruined the interview).

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between stack and heap memory?
      How does Garbage collection work?
      Static vs final variable
      Difference between C++ and Java.

Programming Question: Write a programming to print the level-order of a binary search tree.

B
      / \
      R G

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

one phone interview and then onsite. when having onsite interview, there should be four rounds. First two rounds is engineers, the third round is a manager, the four round is hr. If you complete the four round, it likely means you pass the interview. Many people only have one round, two rounds or three rounds, and then they will be told that the interview has completed.