Bloomberg L.P.

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – the hiring process is long., lack of communication from HR. Interviewers seems disinterested, asked the same questions over and over. The job seems boring and basically it's a customers service job, not related to finance field. However, the office is nice and some employees are really friendly ( not all ,though).

Interview Question – nothing too unexpected   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Lots of tedious online tests before even getting to a phone interview - which was itself another interacitve computer test. It seemed like a lot of trouble considering the job. I find it kind of funny companies like Bloomberg (& Google & M$ et al) go so crazy for difficult interviews for what are basically run-of-the-mill IT jobs.

Interview Question – the usual recursive sorting algorithm question   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't care for the corporate culture

Financial Sales and Analytics Interview

Financial Sales and Analytics
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Started with a very short 10min phone screening with HR, and quick online personality test.

Next round was an onsite interview at their NYC HQ, which included a terminal demonstration, tour of the building, and back to back interviews with two people from Sales & Analytics - 30min each. Standard questions - i.e. Why Bloomberg x100, why finance, basic behavioral questions, tell me recent news story, Bloomberg's competitors, etc.

Last round was a job shadow with a current analytics member (be sure to ask a lot of questions to show your interest) and a one-hour interview with two managers. Similar questions as the previous round + a sales role play for a phone app.

Interview Question – Sell me your favorite phone app.   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Editor
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2011.

Interview Details – The HR people were completely unprepared for the offer discussion and promised benefits that ultimately were not part of the employee package. The hiring and position manager knew very little about the job (she was new to her role). Complete dissonance from outside reputation of company.

Interview Question – Why aren't you staying at home with your children?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR were quite unprofessional.

Entry-Level Market Data Research & Analysis Interview

Entry-Level Market Data Research & Analysis
New York, NY

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – Submit the application through school online career service, received an email from Bloomberg to schedule a 30-mintue phone interview. Interview questions include: What's Bloomberg, what's our products and services, what's our main competitors and behavior questions such as tell me one time that you show your leadership skills

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult as long as you prepared and get to know What does Bloomberg do, what are the products/services and its competitors.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Developer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online. One phone screen, then 3 interviews. The first two with two interviews and the last with the manager. I was asked a bunch of questions in the last interview that had nothing to do with the job description, which was as a Wordpress Developer. I wouldn't have applied for the job if I had known that there were requirements that I did not meet. When I asked him what he was looking for for the position, he told me "Software Engineer". This is not the job that I applied for and I would not have applied for it. It became very clear that we were wasting our time and I told the interviewer so.

I was a little annoyed at the end, but everyone was very nice. The interview process was pretty good and it seems like it would be a nice place to work.

Interview Question – Questions completely unrelated to the position of Wordpress developer.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
New York, NY

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2014.

Interview Details – Snacks, tour, breakfast and then 2 rounds of technical interviews
Each round interviewed by 2 people , after the second round I was expecting the third round to come up but was asked to leave.

Interview Questions

• Make a product array , such that each index has product of all the elements in the array except itself   View Answer
  • Design to display latest socks. Top 10 ticker   View Answer
  • Given a pool of strings, any two of them can be joined if last char of first string and first char of second are equal, that joined string will inturn be added to the pool again
    Eg: abc and cba gives abcba, the common character will be taken once and that applies for for the last and first principle. Multiple characters can occur in the same string.
  • Find the Cycle in the graph
    Difference between tree and graph

Global Data Interview

Global Data
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process took 1 week. Apply online, got a phone interview two days later. I was expecting a lot more data analysis questions, but the interviewer did not ask any. No tough questions. Basically all behavioral questions. Also, you will be expected to answer if you have read any econ or finance related magazines such as the economist or wsj.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you have to deal with conflicts.   Answer Question

Global Analytics Interview

Global Analytics
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews with team leaders, regional managers of varying capacity. Good split between telling candidate about the culture at bloomberg and then asking questions about resume. Asked to demonstrate synergies on how your resume fits in with the culture. Some questions out of the box to like sell me this telephone or other objects in the room.

Interview Question – Tell us about your biggest challenges and how you over came them. Where do you see yourself in 5 years.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
New York, NY

Interview Details – Applied on the Website, then got a phone interview after two weeks. Asked two easy coding questions.
After three weeks invited to NY to take the onsite interview.
Two rounds technique interview, both talked about something on your resume and two coding questions (not hard)
Third round talks with a manager, design software about stocks. After this round, I was asked to leave :(
Onsite is not hard, prepare the basic algorithms and data structures well.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult. But I'm not sure about the third round's question (because this is the round I was asked to leave)
design a system about stocks: lots of stock info go into system, customers are waiting the other side for the stock system, how to design the system.