Bloomberg L.P.

Updated Mar 5, 2015

3.1

Customer Financial Service Representative - Accounts Receivables Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I found this position through a recruiter presented to me as an Accounts Receivable position. I went through a phone interview and two in-person interviews. The first phone interview was fairly simple with HR. The second interview was with the department manager and team lead. My last interview was with the Controller.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a rude customer?   View Answer
    • If I asked your current manager to tell me 1 thing you can improve on, what would it be?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

I was referred by one friend after submitting my resume and scheduled the interview very soon. It was mostly basic technical questions related to my experience and previous projects. It was phone interview about 45 mins.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

I only made it to a first round interview with Bloomberg and was quite disappointed in my performance. I went through a recruiter and was told to mostly brush up on my CS fundamentals and not to worry too much about JavaScript syntax. With this in mind I began to brush up on my algorithms and data structures knowledge, giving little thought to JavaScript (which I had planned to read "the good parts" prior to the interview).

When it got to the interview, I fumbled with the simplest questions (what are the data types in JavaScript, I answered String, Int, Float, undefined & Null). The interviewers were polite however and continued through to the conceptual questions.

There were no brainteasers, most of their questions were quite practical.

Q1: Implement a Queue in C using an array.

This is what I described to them:
    Create an array with a fixed length. Give it a start and an end index. Also give it a count variable when full. When popping, fetch the value and move the start index by 1 through the array (or to the front if at the end). When pushing, add the value to the end index in the array and increment end index by 1. If start is equal to end, and count is equal to the size of the array, initialize another array with double the length;

I'm guessing this was the answer they were looking for, but I'm pretty sure my performance prior to this question was still prominent in the interviewers minds.

Q2: This question was somewhat open ended but basically asked how you would manage a multithreaded application whose threads would read and write from files. Basically they framed it as multiple users can read at the same time, but they cannot read while a file is being written to. In addition to this, only one writer can operate on a file at a time.

Basically I told them that some sort of thread control would need to be implemented such as an array of mutexes that correspond to different files, and a semaphore to manage how many threads are reading a given file.

When the interview was finished I could tell that my slow start had significantly affected my chances. I did not get a second round interview, nor did I believe I should have gotten one. However, I do feel that the interviewers were kind and patient, and that interviewing with Bloomberg was an overall pleasant experience. I will likely apply again in the future if I'm ever on the market.

Interview Questions
    • What are the data types in javascript?
      What does the new operator do?
      Implement a queue in C
      Describe a file management system which does not allow to users to write to the same file at the same time.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

Got a call to come to an interview for technical skills and learn about what Bloomberg software engineering has to offer me. This all started from putting my name in their pool at an on-campus career fair. The interview itself was very friendly and they helped me through problems and I enjoyed the interview proccess, unfortunately I did not do as well as I would have liked because it was my first coding interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of 99 numbers 1-100 find the missing number.   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in December 2014.

I applied through their website and was contacted within a week. The lady called an HOUR AND A HALF later than I was scheduled. The interview lasted an hour and I was asked only technical questions. Maybe one or two questions about my previous experiences. It was mainly Econometrics and Statistics questions. Then I connected to a platform where she asked me to do some coding in SQL and C++. I thought the coding was easier than the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Econometrics: When you are presented with a data that you suspect is not linear what do you do? What model do you use?   Answer Question

Planning Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

Applied online via LinkedIn and received an email approximately a week later wanting to setup a phone interview with me. Was naturally inserested and excited with Bloomberg being such a large and recognised company, so I spent a fair bit of time onine searching what I could about the company, products, services, history, role etc etc etc. Come time for the interview - no call. One and a half hours later - nothing. So I email the internal assistant who setup the interiew and get a response approximately an hour later appologising as the internal recruiter scheduled to conduct the phone interview had not arrived in the office due for some reason as yet. They apologised and re-scheduled.

Following week the phone interview commences on time and as expected. The Bloomberg recruiter was apologetic about the previous week and professional. Went well and closed they closed wanting to schedule an in-person interview.

Come the day of the interview, some 2 hours prior to scheduled time and just as I was about to leave, I get a call to say they need to cancel as the 3 people scheduled to interview me are all out of the office. Requested to re-schedule for the following week.

The following week I arrive at the office to be informed the same 3 people are again not in the office. A very gratious and embarrassed employee interviewed me anyway which went well.

I received a further email contact requesting a follow-up interview with the intention to meet with the 3 key people. Upon arrival for this meeting, 2 of the staff were present however the senior manager (and therefore hiring manager) was unavailable due to personal reasons which were perfectly fine (they again apologised for the scheduling difficulties and made a few light hearted jokes of same). Interview went well I thought, concluded by requesting where I stood in relation to other candidates, how many cadidates etc etc. Answers were certainly encouraging so I requested next steps. To which it was suggested they would expect the 3rd, and absent, staff member (also the hiring manager) would likely wish to interview me in person when they were available.

This seemed encouraging - I left it 2 weeks (this was over Thanksgiving also) and followed up with an email. Got an immeditate reply which was encouraging suggesting I would be contacted shortly.

I was not contacted shortly - followed up again another week and a half later and then received an email that included "We strive to find the right person for the right opportunity. At this time, we will not be pursuing you as a candidate for the Planning Manager position but we would like you to keep us in mind for future career opportunities."

Dissapointed about not going further in the recruitment of this role, however the process was - well, unprofessional to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • The usaul "what's your greatest weakness" - a weakness isn't anything great to start with....   Answer Question

R&D Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

The recruiters seemed condescending over the phone. They try to "help" you and give you pointers, but it comes off really condescending. For example, she told me to dress professionally for my in person interviews. Who doesn't know to do that?

Once I got to meet the team I'd actually be working with they seemed great. Very fast paced environment which I loved.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult part of your current job role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in November 2014.

I met the Bloomberg team at a YHack 2014, and was immediately impressed by the product. I applied that year, and received a phone interview, which contained mostly algorithmic questions. This year, I applied again, received a phone interview, and was asked questions questions of the same variety (difference between C++ and Java, difference between a BST and a hash table). They also covered some aspects of my resume, and asked me to describe a project I had worked on, some challenges I faced, and how I overcame them. I heard back that same week that I'd received a campus interview with them in New York, which I've yet to attend.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between stack and heap memory   View Answer

Business Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

First round phone screen - the individual could not appropriately schedule a time slot with me and hold a commitment to time. We rescheduled the call and she called me at the original time slot, 2 days early. Then she missed the rescheduled time slot (never contacting me) and tried to reschedule 45 minutes later. There appears to be a lack of structure and respect for time of participants. The position reports up through to the COO.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2014.

I applied online near the end of August and they got back to me about 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for about a week later. He asked a pretty standard interview question, and I coded it up online where he could see (I think it was on a HackerRank page). I thought they prefered C++, but he asked me if I wanted to do it in Java and I said yes because I'm more comfortable with that. I don't actually think that hurt my chances in any way. That question went fine, and then he asked me a few follow ups about scalability and bugs to check for. Then he went into some very specific C++ questions, which I stumbled through since I had only taken a semester of C++. Somehow I passed that interview and made it to the in-house. About a week later, my recruiter asked me which of 3 days I preferred to come to NYC and interview. A few days later they made travel arrangements. During the in-house interview, they give you a little tour of the office first then you meet with your interviewers and go to a conference room. Again, questions were very standard. You have to do them on a sheet of paper. The first interview there were 2 engineers, and they asked me 3 technical questions. I blanked out especially on the first question even though it was pretty easy. The second interview was just one person, and he asked me a fairly easy question, which I got right away and he said that was all he had for me so we talked for a bit before he let me out. Interviews themselves took about 2 hours total (but there's a small break in between). A week later, I got rejected--not unexpected considering I didn't do well on the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • The C++ specific things really threw me off. Other than that everything was very standard.   Answer Question