Bloomberg L.P. Research Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
5 interviews

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in July 2014.

I applied online, via their website. I had applied to jobs with them before, but this was the first time I had gotten a response. I emailed to set up a phone interview. I missed the initial call from the interviewer and left a message. Did not hear back from him until two days later. We set up a time to talk on the following Monday. He was 10 minutes later. Had the phone screening interview, during which the interviewer said I had applied twice (not sure if it had been a software error on my end or if I had applied at separate times). He gave a great description of the position (much more in depth than the job posting) and we talked about what the job entailed, what were my qualifications and why did I feel I fit, etc.

I didn't think it had gone well and did not have contact information for the interviewer. But I was contacted to come in for an in-person interview and off I went. The DC office is nice--they have all sorts of snacks, tea, coffee, water, fruit, soy/almond milk available to eat (their kitchen area is right by the entrance).

The in-person interview was fairly boring. Much of it was cookie cutter questions, such as describe a time when you had a conflict that prevented you from proceeding with your work, how did I feel about long hours/working in an open office (it appears the staff all work in rows of desks. There is no privacy), what drew me to the position, did I have experiences in X, etc. I honestly felt that they were politely interviewing me, but there was not a strong interest in me as a candidate.

It was a nice visit but I suspected I would not get the job. They let me know that there would be one more round of interviews with their boss if I would be selected to advance. Neither interviewer had cards for me, so I had no way of thanking them (I actually forgot their names as soon as I walked out the door).

About a week later, I received a rejection email. I couldn't say I was surprised but I am actually relieved. Although I have worked in the open office plan before, their layout honestly seemed very cramped. And as the job requires long hours, I'm not sure I'd want to be in such a tight space surrounded by people working well beyond the end of the work day.

Interview Questions
  • At the very end they asked me about gaps in my work history. I wonder if the placement of the question was meant to throw me off. I've gotten this question before elsewhere, so it wasn't totally shocking.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

Anonymous Employee  in  Skillman, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Skillman, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2013.

I have been through 3 interviews and heard that there are gonna 2 more. I also heard that they just interview to show that they really care and are serious in interviewing candidate but they already have there candidates from interns.

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult but maybe the more difficult ones are coming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

As usual Bloomberg's interview process was very quick. I've interviewed twice for two different positions, one in New York City and the other in DC. The first was both by phone and then face-to-face with New Energy Finance in NYC. I initially applied for a research position then was recommended I try sales and development. After speaking to the folks it seemed a bit to sales for my taste in profession.

This last interview was a phone interview here in DC. The interview was very straight forward, I actually think I may have over-prepared for it. It was a good lesson. I prepared papers, water, a bunch of materials and probably ended up over-anwering the interview questions when straight succinct answers were probably expected. The interviewer seemed satisfied with shorter, perhaps, two sentence answers.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in August 2013.

After submitting all the necessary documents, the process starts with a phone interview from HR, very routine stuff, but in two languages (I guess this depends on where your are applying to). After that another more technical interview directly dealing with the issues you are expected to address in your work. Finally one final interview with the department manager.

Interview Questions
    • How would you build a forecasting model for product X in an nascent market where there is no previous sales data on such product anywhere in the world?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Applied online, got a call, did a phone interview and went for three in person interviews. Then, the HR rep completely disappeared and stopped returning my calls. This is at least the third time they have done this to me. I interviewed with them several years ago and they pulled the exact same thing. I am so done with this company. Never again. I feel like they post fake jobs to make it look like they are growing and keep the HR team busy.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!