Bloomberg L.P.

Average Difficulty
55 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales and Analytics

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in March 2014.

Interview Details – 5 rounds of interviews including group interview, role play, and back-to-back. Initially contacted by a member of the recruiting team asking to schedule a phone interview, then proceeded to 1-1 interview with current team lead. Third round was with office department manager, fourth round with office sales head and analytics head, final round with region sales head and analytics head.

Interview Question – Besides financial institutions, can you identify any firms in other industries will be a potential customer of BBG? Please provide a way of reaching out to the firm(s) and sell them our core product.   Answer Question

Sales and Analytics

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P..

Interview Details – Phone interview, just basic screening. Followed by an on-campus interview. Basic questions about experience and extra curricula's. Additional questions about sales experience and current fed policy.

The final round was a mirror of the second round but with the managing directors of the Sales and Analytics team and in the New York headquarters. Interviewers seem disinterested and ask basic sales questions.

Interview Question – Sell your favorite app   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in May 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting an online application, I had a 30 min initial phone screen with a recruiter and was quickly invited for an in person interview at the San Francisco office.

Interview began with 20 minutes of shadowing a current employee to learn job responsibilities, terminal structure, etc. I was then taken to interview with a current Sales employee. The interview was about 40 minutes and structured mostly around fit questions- why Bloomberg, why Sales & Analytics, etc. The woman interviewing wasn't very pleasant; almost seemed as though she had a retort for all of my responses. The interview also had nothing to do with the actual job responsibilities, which essentially amount to a glorified call center.

Interview Question – Tell me about a piece of financial news you have been following.   View Answer

Sales and Analytics

Interviewed at Bloomberg L.P.

Interview Details – 15 minute phone interview and then on campus interview. phone interview was standard and behavioral. On campus interview was a two on one interview with tough questions on current financial news and questions on what you think of Bloomberg

Interview Question – What do you know about the LIBOR fixing scandal   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online with a referral through a friend. Received an email the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was very standard: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Bloomberg? The next day received an email to come in for an in-person interview in the NYC office. The offices are very nice, and all the interviewers gather on a couch on the main floor. Then current analysts came and took perspective interviews in groups of two for a tour of the building and job shadow. My guide came off as snotty and made it seem like the job was the best thing out there. Be forewarned this is a customer service job. You basically do the grunt work the bankers and traders don't want to do, like creating excel models.

After the tour we were led to separate rooms for the interview. I met one woman from Analytics who was visibly hungover, and a man from sales. They asked me basic interview questions about my resume and my previous experience. The woman asked me if I was more interested in equities or fixed income and why. The man asked me to give him a sales pitch for a pen on the desk. I spoke to them for about 25 minutes but could tell half way through I would not be getting the position.

The interviewers told me I could go back down and wait on the couch. I could tell the sales guy was watching me from the other side of the room. I think they want to see if you are cool and collected after the interview, not fidgeting or playing with your phone. All the candidates returned to the couch around the same time; some had mentioned that they would be speaking to another group. If you were not asked to do a second round you NOT be working at Bloomberg. After about 45 minutes a few HR reps came down to show a few candidates out. They thank you for your time and let you know they will be making a decision next week. A few days later they email you saying thanks but they are going in another direction.

Overall most people I met did not have finance backgrounds or degrees. I think they lean towards people they can train from the ground up.

Interview Question – Give me your best sales pitch?

Why are you passionate about the equity markets?
  Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in June 2012.

Interview Details – I had a very interesting interview experience with Bloomberg in San Fran. I chatted on the phone with a lady for my first initial interview for about half an hour and it seemed really simple. Eventually I got an email that they were willing to fly me out to San Fran to do more interviewing. During this whole process I was constantly in contact with a variety of different people in the Bloomberg office in NY and San Fran between travel plans and interviewing so they seem to have a large and efficient process for handling applicants.

I wanted to do well in this interview and tried to prep the best I could for it. For this role I think they are looking for more finance people that are sales oriented than marketing people who are finance oriented if that makes sense. I had compiled lists of questions from Glassdoor that they might ask me and had answers for all of them and still wasn't prepared for what awaited me in there.

I shadowed a few of the guys who are currently working in sales and analytics for FX/Commodities and they seemed really cool and laid back but the job is really stressful- tons of flashing colored lights on monitors and juggling tasks and you have to REALLY know what you are doing. If you know the terminal, you will get this job. If you haven't used it before the interview, things won't work out for you.

I interviewed with two people- the lady in charge of the sales and analytics and a man in sales. They asked me a lot about my sales experience and they had a lot of tough questions about the financial markets today. You must know a lot of details about current events in the market and show what you know. I ended up digging myself into a hole during this interview process because I didn't know enough. Eventually they left the room "to discuss if they would need me further" and decided I was done for the day and I basically knew I didn't get the job on the spot. I wasn't a good fit anyways. They followed up with an impersonal email that said "thanks, but no thanks".

I would say I was happy with the overall professional air and quality of this interview had my travel plans not been completely messed up by Bloomberg. They paid for my flights but neglected to tell me that I would have to pay for a $300/night hotel room in San Fran while I was there, plus I spent about $150 in cab rides for only being there about 24 hours. I was under the impression that Bloomberg was going to pay for my hotel, I called the my travel coordinator in the New York office, left her a voicemail about the charges to my credit card and she never called me back. Figures.

Interview Questions

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in February 2012.

Interview Details – Received a phone interview after applying online. First round phone interview was with someone from HR. She had to reschedule the phone interview with me day of because she had a meeting at our originally scheduled time. She then called me 20 minutes late (which is unheard of) for our actual phone interview, did not apologize for being late, did not give a reason, and proceeded to give me 10 minutes of her time before hanging up and said I'd hear back in a week. She seemed hurried and completely disinterested. Terrible experience, worst phone interview experience, and I did not expect a second round.

Was invited for second round to Bloomberg's NYC office for the position in San Francisco because it was closer to my current location. They paid for my flight. Day of interview, I first shadowed someone for about 30 minutes. Then, I had a teleconference interview with manager from San Francisco office and then a 1:1 interview with a manager at the NYC office.

Interview Question – Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an email back a few weeks later about setting up a phone interview, that was very basic why us, why you, etc. Then they brought me out to San Fran a little over a month after the phone interview. During this time they "forgot" to tell me that no one was going to be at the airport to pick me up and none of my expenses were going to be covered ( ended up with over 200$ in bills due to two 60$ taxi rides), only company I've interviewed with in the past year that doesn't do both of those. Day of the interview I get ther and watch someone do customer service online basically edit copy edit paste formulas to clients, this is what the job is. Then had an interview and was asked why us, why you, and to explain a process to them, it last about 20 mins. Then that was it and basically felt like I was kicked out of the building. Lucky for me Bloomberg's travel branch suggested that I fly out of San Fran at 7 pm that night and since I had no idea how long the interview process was going to take I said ok....I was at the air port by 10am. It was just an awful trip that could have been avoided had Bloomberg done a better job of the basics like knowing what they are doing. The job is bad and the interview process was the worst I've been a part of.

Interview Question – Explain a process, I did an IF statement in excel.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Because of how poorly Bloomberg took care of me and how thoughtless they were with their planning.

New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got back to me the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview about 2 weeks after initial contact. Basic questions about resume, why you want to be in sales and why finance. Biggest issue in the economy. What does Bloomberg do. What does the terminal do?

Paying for me to fly out to NYC and putting me up in a hotel. I assume that there will be a ton of people at the interview. Currently in commercial banking trying to get into the financial services industry seems like a good way to break in, and network.

Interview Question – What professional accomplishment were you most proud of.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bloomberg L.P. in October 2011.

Interview Details – Phone Interview --> Office tour, Interview with two senior officers. A young office and vibe, but that's presumably due to high turnover. The job seemed very irritating and I was very turned off by it. Just couldn't imagine having to answer other peoples questions all day, would rather be asking the questions.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Bloomberg L.P.

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!

Bloomberg L.P. – Why Work for Us?

Bloomberg’s global mission is to help individuals, enterprises and governments make smarter, faster, more profitable decisions — first. In order to get there, we need constant ideas, energy, innovation— which is where… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomberg L.P. Sales and Analytics interview questions and advice. All 55 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bloomberg L.P. employees and interview candidates.